• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Realistic Sniper Games?

SN13

Impatient
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
West Palm Beach, FL
Guys,

Viking got me thinking over on the COD6 trailer post, Are there any good PC games that simulate Long Range Ballistics within like 90% of reality?

The games I know of that have noticeable ballistics are:

Operation Flashpoint

Armed Assault (A kinda offshoot of OpFlash)

Maybe OpFlash and ArmA are the best to start with. The Customization potential for these games is high, you could probably mod in your specific Rifle, reticle, and ballistics (at least MV) and have it simulate your actual rig.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Opinions?

Just for fun.

Re: Realistic Sniper Games?

There are only a few games with basic sniper implementation.

Armed Assault can be modded with elevation / wind drift and proper reticles. You won't find many servers with those mods you want to play with, ask your friends to join up.

There is Sniper Elite, which features wind drift, gravity and heartbeat/breath. But the gameplay is boring and not really a sniper game.

Try Red Orchestra, no wind but a simple bullet drop system and great gameplay (online only or against bots)

I nearly forgot to mention Vietcong, great game, best vietnam pc game ever made, the sequal sucked big time, though. However, there is not much sniping and no ballistics, but great fun and intense jungle atmosphere.

My buddy and I used to block off cities in OpFlash (Similar to ArmA) and play 1v1 sniper at night. It was fun stalking each other and trying not to get shot. Arena Sniper duels. It was awesome but took forever to find each other.

I was in a bush and i see something in my reticle. He had gone prone RIGHT next to me. I slowly drew my pistol and blasted him. Great fun!

yeah, OFP was great, much better than ArmA. I modded Armed Assault because I could not stand the poor gun sounds...

I only got Fallout 3 and COD 4 on my hard drive, both are not really suited for sniper warfare, but it is possible to have some fun playing that way.

Insurgency for Half-Life 2 is amusing from time to time, but I guess, it is not very popular due to the ongoing war in Iraq.

Hitman offers some limited sniper capabilities. The latest game is quite fun with a pimped WA2000.

There are mods for ballistics/wind that match just about every military relevant projectiles real world data available for ARMA.

I've had some problems getting them to work though while I know others haven't.

You obviously won't get the whole every bore likes a little different variation that you would in real life but that's kinda moot.

Personally I'm waiting for Arma2/OFP2 to see what they come up with.

One benefit to real world training many people probably don't consider here is familiarity with reticle use. You could get yourself relatively familiar with what the average height "silhouette" or person should amount to in your ACOG or mildot reticle.

Since you can modify the reticles you can match this to your real world equipment and get familiar with ranging. You should also be able to replicate movers pretty well this way.

I'm waiting for ArmA2 as well..

My buddy and I are thinking about modding in some missions that will use our own, custom rifle specs, including reticle and magnification, and allow us to replicate our actual real life rifles and get us into ranging via Mil-dots and doping wind/hitting moving targets.

We'll See how it goes.

Ghost Recon has a decent sniper setup and lots of options as to snipers.

I used to play OFP alot. That was about the last video game I've ever played on a computer. Makes everything else suck. I got ArmA and my damn computer is too slow to play it, so I'll have to wait until I upgrade. I've always found that the sniping in that game is better than anything else out there. There's actually ballistics, which is more you can say for COD and other game console based platforms.

CMS

Sniper Elite and the Silent Scope series are good games Turok Far Cry2 and Army Of Two have good sniping play as well.

90% of reality. Deep thoughts in near real-time.

Didn't mean to be a buzzkill for this thread, it's just that question really made some wheels start turning, and then my mind went to Ender's Game, and then I was grokking...

I like games as well as the next big kid, but because I try to limit myself to only a few habits, I have to take vacations from them for longer and longer periods.

i play Battlefield2, there is some bullet drop but its not that sophisticated. What i do like is the stalking of other people on line and trying to position my self for the shot. i like counter sniping more than anything. if your a computer gaming geek like me then it might be for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is a calculator in the drop down menu with the met data, and formulas </div></div>

Apparently I'm judging the mils incorrectly.

Yeah, I can't get it right on there, but I get it right in my scope. It is a great idea, but I can't get it to work right.

Use it more. It is pretty accurate. I actually have the game and it is a lot of fun and has some pretty good stuff in the "classrooms"