• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Really need advice on an AR upper

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
I live in Ohio, and with the ever goofy hunting laws here, it seems that Winchester made a designer cartridge for us called the 350 Legend. It looks like a good cartridge, despite its name. For the first time, I'm going to be able to shelve my Hasting's barreled Browning A5 and kill Bambie with an actual rifle. Although the old A5 with that rifled barrel is crazy accurate. Bambie here has politician size, er I mean, lawyer size, uh darn, I mean rat size population.
While I know a fair amount about the platform they were all Colt's and they were always just on loan to me. Now I have an AR or two and I'd like to buy a complete 350 Legend upper. I really don't want to build one and I don't want a parts gun. I'm unfamiliar with what is considered good without being just "pay for the name" vs just "hey those suck". I saw that Rock River offers uppers that are in stock at one extreme, and Bear Creek has quite a few in inventory at the other. Who are in the middle? Or is there no middle?
Really just lost here and would rather not get stung. I already have a revolver sitting at Smith & Wesson waiting for warranty work that you wouldn't believe what's wrong with it.
I would really appreciate a few recommendations from you knowledgeable folks on what manufacturers to look at and what manufacturers to stay away from.

Hi,
There are quite a few threads on the 350 Legend here. One of them is just six threads below yours:

I do not have your answer as to who makes a decent mid-price-range complete 350 upper, but there’s at least a couple people that think Mos-Tek knows their stuff.

I just checked Mos-Tek out and while it looks like they make great barrels and several other components. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear they make complete uppers.

I already have a revolver sitting at Smith & Wesson waiting for warranty work that you wouldn't believe what's wrong with it.
I would. Revolver forums have entire threads dedicated to pics of S&W PC guns with barrels clocked to 1:00 or cylinders hitting forcing cones so hard they won't turn.

Also, Bear Creek is straight garbage.

I'd avoid the BCA. That said, I'm seeing bca at $400 and rra at $550. The rock river is a clear step up in reputation alone from the bca. For a few times a year I'd go RRA. i saw a few others in a quick search but they just went up in price.

I have one of rock rivers 20" .223 wylde uppers and have no complaints. I got mine back in the sandy hook days for around $600 with a 3/4 MOA guarantee. Only thing I don't like about their 350 legend upper is the 1/2-36 muzzle threads.

I see a lot about CMMG but I think that's because they were first to market with theirs, no real complaints though. I also see a lot about BCA and that's likely due to price. I saw a YouTube video where a couple of people skewered their fingers in the ejector port on the dust cover spring. The spring had one end that looked like a needle sticking up. This was on two different rifles.

It's amazing how many people on YouTube will do the same thing over and over again expecting different results. For god's sake, if the rifle jams every time quit trying to shoot it till you alter something, a magazine, extractor, the bolt group, the way you hold your tongue, anything. Don't just keep shucking ammo into it and watching it jam.

Also own a Rock River upper although mine is in 5.56 and has a heavy stainless barrel. Upper is the most accurate AR15 upper I own and I have a couple of LaRue and a KAC as well. I also paid a little over $600, but that was 15+ years ago. I've always thought the guns were somewhat underrated. But I have no experience with recent ones and no experience with any upper in the caliber you're interested in.

Reactions: lash
First off, I'd call the Ohio DCNR.

By definition as of the 20/21 regulations, the 350 Legend isn't legal.

"Straight wall cartridges minimum of .357cal max of .50cal"

350 Legend uses .355" bullets.

Is it an issue? I have NO idea. But I'd look into it before buying one.

I debated between it and the 450 Bushmaster. I went with the Bushmaster. Actually waiting on my action to come back from getting a face lift and the rifle will be ready to finish up. Should be a sub 6 pounder with glass m700 action.

The 350 might die due to the Rona. Not much for known good hunting rounds. And probably Noone doing much design or testing due to demand of everything else. I'm a slight bullet snob even though we are talking short range deer. I don't believe in having to wait for behind the shoulder broadside shots.

A 350 legend AR would be cool if you could run cheap bulk 147s or something from it.

I debated between it and the 450 Bushmaster. I went with the Bushmaster. Actually waiting on my action to come back from getting a face lift and the rifle will be ready to finish up. Should be a sub 6 pounder with glass m700 action.

The 350 might die due to the Rona. Not much for known good hunting rounds. And probably Noone doing much design or testing due to demand of everything else. I'm a slight bullet snob even though we are talking short range deer. I don't believe in having to wait for behind the shoulder broadside shots.

A 350 legend AR would be cool if you could run cheap bulk 147s or something from it.
Bullet diameter is .357 https://winchester.com/350-legend

This sounds like a load of uneducated hooey to me. But each to his own. I’m pretty sure that you should have chosen .50 Beawolf just to make sure.

Reactions: Ravenworks
I see both .355 and .357 listed in various places. Maybe they've migrated from .355s to .357s? Do some Google g if you think I'm full of hooey. Lol. It's been talked about many times with Ohio hunters.

I've confirmed the 350 Legend is legal here in the great state of confusion. We're lucky that Ohio has more independent governments than any other state. Yes, it's true. We have City govs, county govs, school districts, library districts, townships, and the list goes on and on. We have governments on top of governments, inside of governments, and they all duplicate and overlap each other. And we, the taxpayer, pay them all. So why do I bring this up? Where I want to hunt, the local county laws, not the state laws mind you, don't allow 50 calibers unless it's a muzzleloader. You say it doesn't matter, it's state law...forget that and tell it to the county judge who is the guy assessing your fine. Nope, 350 Legend is the safest bet lest I break out my A5 again.

Anyway, back to the original topic. Looking for recommendations for 350 Legend uppers.

IMHO, the problem with BCA is literally "hit or miss"... some of their uppers are fine ( roll of the dice ) , some are bad.

So, you never know what you might get. I don't buy gasoline , meat, or my firearms like that.

And by the time you add a BCG and CH, you aren't far in price from the higher priced ones that have a BCG and CH.

I would pursue buying a CMMG or a RRA.

And if your barrel has 1/2x36 threads... Lantac makes a 9MM version that will work on a 350 Legend. ( Lantac told me in a e-mail )

Or consider a 450 Bushmaster from CMMG or RRA

Just did a little looking to get my facts straight.

All 4 bullets Midway offer(ed) are .355 diameter. Including the ones made by Winchester.

So...like I said, not sure if they've since changed...or if you can actually use .357" bullets. But, seems factory offerings are or were .355" bullets.

And, since my post was called "a load of uneducated hooey"

Id bet who ever wrote the regs would ask who Saami is...lol who knows. They've evolved nearly (or) every year since allowing straight walls. Sou ds like it's a moot point....and I wouldn't be surprised to see it updated to remove the confusion.

I actually had no idea they legalized straight walls. Last season was my first Ohio season. Didn't fill my tag during my archery trips so I went in gun season. Bought an Encore muzzleloader somewhat specifically for it....and I've always wanted one. Going back through the regs at some point, realized I could have bought a different barrel...or rifle...or AR upper...the inline did the trick though lol.

Didn't realize Ohio had some backwards regulations as far as local jurisdictions. Pennsylvania tried that once. Now we have solid case law that state hunting regulations overrule local rules. We had townships try to exclude rifles and such and it was challenged and won in court.

Lots of guys seem to like the 350.

Reactions: Stev0
Id bet who ever wrote the regs would ask who Saami is...lol who knows. They've evolved nearly (or) every year since allowing straight walls. Sou ds like it's a moot point....and I wouldn't be surprised to see it updated to remove the confusion.

I actually had no idea they legalized straight walls. Last season was my first Ohio season. Didn't fill my tag during my archery trips so I went in gun season. Bought an Encore muzzleloader somewhat specifically for it....and I've always wanted one. Going back through the regs at some point, realized I could have bought a different barrel...or rifle...or AR upper...the inline did the trick though lol.

Didn't realize Ohio had some backwards regulations as far as local jurisdictions. Pennsylvania tried that once. Now we have solid case law that state hunting regulations overrule local rules. We had townships try to exclude rifles and such and it was challenged and won in court.

Lots of guys seem to like the 350.
You were correct to start with - the 350 Legend uses .355” bullets. It was a big deal when it was first introduced because of that discrepancy between the .355” bullets and the .357” requirement in the market the Legend was designed for. Long story short, the entire cartridge is a comedy of errors by Winchester and is a classic example of “designed by committee”.

However, my understanding is that the straight wall states decided to accept the 350 as a legal hunting cartridge anyway. I don’t live in one so do your own research, but I do remember reading about a happy resolution to the issue.

As to the folks saying your post was a load of hooey - there are certain people here with big opinions and little knowledge, and are generally eager to prove it. You learn not to be surprised about their comments after a while.

It’s hard to ever get an answer to ‘best’ upper in any thread, since people have different ideas about what is best for them. Of course, taken in its entirety those comments are still usually helpful.

Given your implied parameters of not spending as much, you’re limiting yourself somewhat. In your shoes, I’d get the RR and be good. If you want to talk to a good smith that makes good uppers in this caliber, try talking to Craddock Precision.

Just did a little looking to get my facts straight.

All 4 bullets Midway offer(ed) are .355 diameter. Including the ones made by Winchester.

So...like I said, not sure if they've since changed...or if you can actually use .357" bullets. But, seems factory offerings are or were .355" bullets.

And, since my post was called "a load of uneducated hooey"

You did not research the actual regs in Ohio, a simple search, so all this was unnecessary. I never questioned the size of the bullet. That makes this all just mental masturbation. I actually know these things since I have researched this caliber and it’s application. I’ve even posted the regulations in more than one thread in here specific to 350 legend.

That’s all. 😎

Reactions: Ravenworks
Look for a Rock River or search Armslist as I see them listed all the time.
Buy once cry once and buying a quality upper matters
Fellow BUCKEYE

Well, my research consisted of word of mouth. I walked into the Ranger's office where I intend to hunt in the fall and I said. "Edgar, If I go and buy one of those new 350 Legends will you fella's write me a citation?' Edgar turned in his swivel chair and said, "Jim, that 350 Legend straight wall case is good, right?" Jim said, "yep". Jim is a man of few words. So I just relied on word-of-mouth research for this whole thing.