• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Reamer Speed

cuutter

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2008
Hesperia,Kalifornia
Hello guys, I have a question about lathe speed for reaming. I just got my 6.5x47 reamer from PTG for my new build. The last barrel I did I ran at 45 rpm and was told that might be a little slow. I'am just not sure. What speed do you guys run? The barrel I am doing is a S/S Krieger.
Thanks for the help in advanced
Wayne

Re: Reamer Speed

All I use is PTG Tooling and I chamber at 70rpm. After reaming in .100" I pull the reamer out, blow off the chips, blow out the chamber and flood with a sulpher based cutting oil. When all I have left to cut is about the length of the shoulder and neck I pull the reamer out every .060". Keeping the reamer and chamber as chip free and lubricated as possible will give you a good clean chamber with no surprises. Also check reamer temp, dont let it get too hot.

i run at 70rpm, keep feeling your barrel and if its starts to get warm take a break and let it cool down, I run in .070" at a time till I get down to the last ~.300" then I go about .020" till the last .010" then its .001" at a time after that. Blow your chips off constantly and run a patch down the barrel a few times during the cutting.

Thanks Victor & wnroscoe. I called PTG and their closed for the 4th. I really want to get this done this weekend why I am off work. Thanks wnroscoe. I think I will speed up my speed just a little. Thanks again for your time on this.
Wayne

You may have to make minor changes if it starts to chatter. Just take it easy and see how it "feels" when you start cutting.

Are you using 2 reamers? A rougher and a finisher? Are you going to step drill? Using the same reamer from the start and not step drilling?

I'm sure you'll do well.

i run 70 rpm. i drill then bore a good portion of the chamber out then use the finish reamer.

70 RPM will be GTG, no problems. Slow feed, you can feel it cutting and if there is a problem. Chamber that thing up, you'll be fine.

Dont forget to use the floating reamer holder / pusher.

be sure to use a good lube.. i use moly-d it leaves a wonderful finish and will help with the wear on the reamer

Be careful to retract often and clear chips out from the flutes. Nothing worse than packing the flutes full, and spinning a chip for a few revolutions. You will have a nice little ring on all your brass to remind you to go slower next time. (Don't ask me how I know.
grin.gif
)

- Cameron

Try different speeds and find what works for your setup the best. I have a very solid setup (hardinge) and thru bore coolant. I typically run at 100-150rpm. It depends on what cal i am building. a 7wsm reamer removes a bit more material than a 308 reamer. If you start getting chatter SLOW down the speed OR feed it a bit harder. there is a difference between rubbing and cutting.

Tap magic really is magic on stainless
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cameron Murphy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful to retract often and clear chips out from the flutes. Nothing worse than packing the flutes full, and spinning a chip for a few revolutions. You will have a nice little ring on all your brass to remind you to go slower next time. (Don't ask me how I know.
grin.gif
)

- Cameron </div></div>

it hasn't happened to me yet but this is the exact reason i am going to get set up for coolant through the bore.

your stated speed of 45 rpm will cut chrome moly great but the s.s. barrels usually cut better faster like the other guys stated. I can "feel" the flutes filling up your experience may differ but others have agreed with this. Also I've spoken with other smiths that have stated they cut Stainless at 150 r.p.m. and up. Probably depends on lubrication. Here's some comedy for you, I volunteeered at a pancake breakfast and they were pouring grease off of a cookie sheet where they were cooking sausage patties, I asked if I could have that job and they looked at me like I was crazy. I saved a gallon of the nice clear stuff off the top when we were done and used it recently to chamber a 8-.280 Ackley in Chrome Moly barrel at @30rpm, This sounds crude no pun intended but I swear that was the slickest chamber I ever did. Don't laugh till you try it, it smelled better too.