• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reasoning for a 308 rifle

Gregor.Samsa

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 4, 2019
    NorCal
    First of all, merry Christmas to you all. I’ve been shooting my Tikka in 6.5 CM for a while and have been becoming more confident and proficient. The till shoots fantastic, I love this rifle but I have a bad itch to build another with a different caliber. I’m looking to put together a high quality value oriented rifle- nothing crazy expensive or exotic to continue learning. I’m leaning towards .308 or 6CM. I typically can only shoot it to 600 yds with a few opportunities to stretch it out to 1000. I’m not a hunter, just punching paper and ringing steel. I kind of feel that a .308 would be great as it’s a common, universal load and probably more challenging to shoot at distance than 6.5/6 mm rounds And subsequently elevating my marksmanship skills. On the other hand, if I’m dropping cash into another platform, I feel my investment should go towards improved ballistics and performance and not a step backwards. I’d love to hear you thoughts and opinions. Thanks

If you reload decide on how many calibers you really want to have set ups for and limit yourself accordingly.

If you are satisfied with your present caliber and find it readily available/have a good supply of components, than why complicate your life?

.308 will give you more recoil and trickier ballistics.

The only frequent arguments I hear for .308 is availability, which if your answer above was "affirmative" you need not worry about, or "lbs/ft" impact down range.

"Lbs/ft" dont matter if the result is a miss and truth be told people that bring it up are thinking "dystopian existence" scenarios (occasionally a hunter will have valid concern), which lets hope our "sport" rifles are never needed for.

I pretty much stuck to military calibers .223/5.56, .308, 30-06 just because my interest was milsurp rifles.

Now I'm in the midst of building my 4th .308 despite being 6mm cartridge curious. I have no desire to buy more tool heads, stock different powders/components and store more brass for another cartridge.

Looks like Im satisfying my "grass is greener" on the other side by messing with barrel lengths and twist types.

The 308win is still a great caliber and if you are only shooting to 600 yards it will do it with boring consistency.
    The bonus of 308win compared to a 6CM is substantially better barrel life and component and ammo selection.
    The recoil argument is a wash if you are using a muzzle brake or aren't recoil sensitive.

So aside from everyone needing a .308 for reasons cough SHTF cough, I’ll say ballistics are a positive. If you’re shooting 6.5 C you have a lot better ballistics but if the majority of your shooting is under 600 you aren’t learning about reading the wind like a pro. Get a 308, you’ll lead lessons at 600 that will allow you to make much better hits past 1k with the 6.5.

Another contender for the lessons could be a 223 but expensive .223 bolt guns don’t make sense because the don’t have the down range energy of a .308. You know, for reasons.

I think the 308 is a great cartridge in a training rifle.

My opinion is that with more recoil and sometimes tricky ballistics you don't get lazy with fundamentals like recoil management, environmentals, and follow through.

Thats the reasoning I use to convince myself of my awesomeness.

"Sure any puke can shoot a women's caliber with superior ballistics but real men......

1223191.jpg

122319.jpg

I had one (M1a), was forced to sell it by circumstance, and missed it for well over a decade.

Now, that omission has been resolved (PA-10).

I had looked in many directions for a 308 semi, but cost was the overwhelming objection.

The PA-10 meets all my requirements, and I have excellent proven loads (168FGMM Clone with 168gr Speer Gold Dot substituted) for it as well. It is complemented by an upgraded Savage 11VT 308 that uses this load nicely, and in conjunction with the Bushnell 4.5-18x AR Drop Zone 308 BDC scope

The Bushnell 4.5-18x AR Drop Zone 308 BDC scope is the ideal companion for each of the two rifles and this load. It's reticle is compensated to 500yd, and allows good marksmanship out to roughly 600yd in conjunction with a good LRF.

Greg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Snuby642
    I had looked in many directions for a 308 semi, but cost was the overwhelming objection.

The PA-10 meets all my requirements, and I have excellent proven loads (168FGMM Clone with 168gr Speer Gold Dot substituted) for it as well. It is complemented by an upgraded Savage 11VT 308 that uses this load nicely, and in conjunction with the Bushnell 4.5-18x AR Drop Zone 308 BDC scope

The Bushnell 4.5-18x AR Drop Zone 308 BDC scope is the ideal companion for each of the two rifles and this load. It's reticle is compensated to 500yd, and allows good marksmanship out to roughly 600yd in conjunction with a good LRF.

Greg
    Come on Greg...this is Sniper's Hide. Everyone here knows that you can't hit the side of a barn at 600 yards with a budget 308 and a BDC reticle!! (sarc):LOL:

Thanks Fellas. This consensus is what I needed. Have a great Christmas!
    What the 308 lacks in sexiness, it makes up for in balance.

When you consider all aspects of power, range, accuracy, ease of loading, availability of components, body of experimentation and knowledge with different components, barrel life, recoil...it goes on.

It really isn't surprising that so many have an emotional attachment to the 308. It is a true goldilocks round.

.308 is very versatile.
    It does many things, not as well as others, but it can still make a pretty good stab at it.
    Ammunition is usually easier to find than most others, including "fun and special effects".
    Then there is the barrel life, with factory ammo you'll practically think it lasts forever compared to the other "better" calibers.

I think the 308 is a great cartridge in a training rifle.

My opinion is that with more recoil and sometimes tricky ballistics you don't get lazy with fundamentals like recoil management, environmentals, and follow through.

This right here. I have 4 308s 3 bolt guns and a dd5v1. Before I got into prs all I shot was 308 and bigger. My prs rifle is a 6.5 creedmoor and when I started prs shooting I quit training with the 308 and started training with a 22lr I built because ammo was cheaper. Long story short my recoil management went to crap and my fundamentals became iffy at best. Putting away my 308 as a trainer was a huge mistake. One I will try not to make again. My 2 cent

Anyone have experience with the Howa barreled actions in 308 from Brownel’s? Figure that in a Bravo might be the ticket. Otherwise, I’m on board for another Tikka CTR. The heavier barrel is a compelling factor in favor of the Howa. My CTR gets hot fast.

Anyone have experience with the Howa barreled actions in 308 from Brownel’s? Figure that in a Bravo might be the ticket. Otherwise, I’m on board for another Tikka CTR. The heavier barrel is a compelling factor in favor of the Howa. My CTR gets hot fast.

How do you like your tikka ctr? My dad is wanting to get a hunting/long range rifle and we have been looking at the tikkas.

How do you like your tikka ctr? My dad is wanting to get a hunting/long range rifle and we have been looking at the tikkas.
    Absolutely love my Tikka. It punches well above it’s weight in terms of quality and performance for the price. I can hang with my buddy whose rifle costs over twice as much. I know there’s nicer stuff out there but I can’t outshooor what I currently have. I dropped it in a Mannners T4a bedded it and it got even better from there. You can’t go wrong.

Very true. No TRG-22 chambered in 308 in the collection?
    Not much of a collection. I used to have a Tikka M65A - but that went in a trade for a .223 semi.
    M65A photo found on the interwebs:

tikka-m65a.jpg

Now, I'd look for something more light and compact in 308. Just a preference.

Reactions: AIAW
    I agree that everyone needs at least one 308.

But your description sounds like a better fit for a 223 bolt gun.

Or both!

I love 308. Big fanboy. But I am now moving onto 6mm. If you want inherent accuracy and barrel life that goes on and on 308 win. If you want inherent accuracy minimal recoil 6mm.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    I went from the 6.5 creed back to the 308 for the single purpose of reacquiring my shot protocol The creed is a fantastic round but it was making me lazy.

Reactions: theLBC
    Love my .308 still and will never be without one.

Attachments

• 293CD694-8832-4C00-883F-78BD234DEA0D.jpeg
      293CD694-8832-4C00-883F-78BD234DEA0D.jpeg
      114 KB · Views: 38
    sometimes you just need some recoil.

its fun shooting these little lasers but at times i do miss the BOOM

another great aspect for the 308 is its not overly sensitive to barrel length, you can go real short and still get to 1000 easy and accurately

plus as said 100 times, 308 barrel will last multiple times 6.5/260 etc life time

sometimes you just need some recoil.

its fun shooting these little lasers but at times i do miss the BOOM

another great aspect for the 308 is its not overly sensitive to barrel length, you can go real short and still get to 1000 easy and accurately

plus as said 100 times, 308 barrel will last multiple times 6.5/260 etc life time
    1000 isn’t easy with a short .308 at sea level.

A .308 and a 6.5 creed loses the same speed per inch of barrel in my experience. A shorty creed is superior to a shorty .308 as far as external ballistics is concerned.

I still like shooting my .308 rifles. I am taking one out tomorrow to put some meat on the table.

Reactions: brianf
    1000 isn’t easy with a short .308 at sea level.

A .308 and a 6.5 creed loses the same speed per inch of barrel in my experience. A shorty creed is superior to a shorty .308 as far as external ballistics is concerned.

I still like shooting my .308 rifles. I am taking one out tomorrow to put some meat on the table.
    I’ve hit steel multiple times at a mile with a 20” 6.5CM.
    Really not overly difficult

Not so successful with any length barrel 308.

I at some point will pretty get a savage take off in 308 just because.

Reactions: wade2big
    Anyone have experience with the Howa barreled actions in 308 from Brownel’s?

Howa makes rifles of outstanding quality where it matters. I bought my first Howa (30-06 sporter) in 2000 and even though that one is gone, I still have a 308 and a 223 both heavy barrels in KRG 180-Xray chassis.

When Weatherby was looking to move their Mark V rifles out of Sauer (due to rising costs in Germany) they ended up contracting the rifles to Howa.

And still to this day Weatherby does business with Howa by buying the 1500 renamed as the Weatherby Vanguard.

Howa makes rifles of outstanding quality where it matters. I bought my first Howa (30-06 sporter) in 2000 and even though that one is gone, I still have a 308 and a 223 both heavy barrels in KRG 180-Xray chassis.

When Weatherby was looking to move their Mark V rifles out of Sauer (due to rising costs in Germany) they ended up contracting the rifles to Howa.

And still to this day Weatherby does business with Howa by buying the 1500 renamed as the Weatherby Vanguard.

my buddy’s 30-06 weatherby/Howa regularly puts 5 in an inch with ammo it likes.
    that’s damn good for a hunting rifle shooting off a pack.

Reactions: 308pirate
    So many benefits to having a 308 as many have mentioned above that I won’t regurgitate. But there’s a lot of value(s) in having one. Think about it like a pair of boots: if you run in boots (308) you’ll do much better when you throw on a pair of running shoes (6.5, 6mm, 223) for the marathon (competition).

Reactions: Gregor.Samsa
    I need one too. Probably my next gun purchase. A .308 is kinda like a 1911 in .45 ACP everyone should have at least one.

This from my vangard today. 270 I just out in a LSS XL chassis. The barrel is thin and had a dampening pad on the factory stock. I bought a limbsaver donut today to see if it would go back to shooting like it did before. Sighted in for 200yds so it's .4ish high at 100 first is the chassis second is from the tupperware

Attachments

• 270.jpg
      270.jpg
      42.6 KB · Views: 41
    • 270 load group.jpg
      270 load group.jpg
      385.1 KB · Views: 37
    I scratched the itch and have a Howa barreled action on its way from Brownels. What's a good weight bullet to start working with. I'll primarily be shooting 100-300 yards with occasional forays to 700 yds ana infrequent to 1000. Would like to zero with this round and get some solid DOPE going. Considrations are overall accuracy, and cost for practice.What are your thoughts on 155 vs 168 vs 175 grain projectiles? Thank you

I didn't read the whole thread, and I'm sure a lot if not all of what I'm about to say has already been said.

Personally, I think the .308 is one of the best trainer rounds. This is why:

1. Excellent barrel life. Some people have reported over 10,000+ rounds out of their .308 barrels while still maintaining good accuracy. Shooting ~700 rounds over the course of a week at training isn't going to eat up 50% of your barrel life.
    2. Recoil is enough to exploit any weakness in your fundamentals. If you get lazy with a .308, it will show on target.
    3. Ballistics aren't as good as the more popular cartridges these days. Less margin of error down range with environmentals, especially at longer rangers.
    4. Good factory ammunition is common

Overall, there isn't another cartridge out there that strikes the balance of the pro's above as well as a .308 for a trainer rifle.

thanks KThomas. what ammunition do you recommend for practice in terms of a balance of accuracy and cost? No time in my life for reloading right now. I know there's a plethora of great choices out there.

Federal-185, Berger-185 and Lapua-155 ALL makes good factory ammo.