• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rebarrel, first groups

Doing my part

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2020
Hi all,

I just got a new barrel on my gun and shot these today after breaking in. This is 100y, @ 12x mag.

Overall pretty pleased with them, but noticed that they all have a 3x bughole and two flyers to the right. Couldn't see what was happening until I went and looked, not used to shooting with so little scope.

Any diagnosis on why I'm sabotaging my own success with silly bullshit? 1st group is bottom right, second in the middle last top-left. Is it just trigger jerk and genetic retardation?

Attachments

• 20231104_095632.jpg
    20231104_095632.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 56
Unfortunately, any responses to this will be pure guessing. There's a laundry list that includes the shooter and ever single part of the rifle or ammunition that could cause this.

Right off the bat, you're using an optic/magnification you're not very experienced with.

What matters most is the fucking up is fucking consistent! 3 in & 2 out for 3 consecutive groups! :ROFLMAO:
That looks like what happens to my pencil barrel 708 Kimber. Heat is the culprit there. What contour you running here?

@Rio Precision Gunworks fair enough.

@FredHammer a slightly heavier than standard sako trg 22 contour. Pretty heavy to my eye. The last group I remember to be reasonably fast, I'd estimate all done in 30 seconds (so probably a minute in real life), but likely not significantly faster than the other two.

@Rio Precision Gunworks fair enough.

@FredHammer a slightly heavier than standard sako trg 22 contour. Pretty heavy to my eye. The last group I remember to be reasonably fast, I'd estimate all done in 30 seconds (so probably a minute in real life), but likely not significantly faster than the other two.
Alright'den...I think you are getting group/target panic. It's an anxiety like the 5th round flyer panic. Next time, do your best not to look where the shots are hitting and just let them fly each shot only focusing on the fundamentals and follow through. Shoot on a target that doesn't accentuate the hits so you aren't drawn to them. This sounds like some wackodoodle shit, but it could help identify what's going on. Indian, or arrow? LOL

Reactions: Doing my part
Alright'den...I think you are getting group/target panic. It's an anxiety like the 5th round flyer panic. Next time, do your best not to look where the shots are hitting and just let them fly each shot only focusing on the fundamentals and follow through. Shoot on a target that doesn't accentuate the hits so you aren't drawn to them. This sounds like some wackodoodle shit, but it could help identify what's going on. Indian, or arrow? LOL
It's a deal, thanks for the starting point!

Happy to give it a go and see what happens, I do tend to be an anxiety ridden overthinker so I could definitely believe the hypothesis.

Reactions: FredHammer
It's a deal, thanks for the starting point!

Happy to give it a go and see what happens, I do tend to be an anxiety ridden overthinker so I could definitely believe the hypothesis.
Shoot dot drills instead...Gets and keeps you target focused vs "group size-focused". Also enables you to track your mean error radius which is more informative vs looking at group size by itself.

I never shoot groups any more, its pointless unless you're doing F class or something similar and even then dot drills are prob better...

Yeah cool, thank you. I will do this.

The primary reason I was interested in group size is that this gun (TRG 22) was shooting 3moa with almost all ammunition before the rebarrel, then a took a YEAR of fighting with the dealer I bought it from before they committed to replacing the tube. Soooo I was interested in benchmarking against that.

And then when you apply a nerdy man brain to something which can be given a points score, watch me obsess over silly inconsequential things like a boss!

Get a mate to shoot it, preferebly someone who is better than you*.

This will give you a solid answer. When they shoot DONT tell them what you are trying to achieve. Just challenge them like "think you can beat this ? Bet you a 6pak of beer you cant". So you buy your mate a 6pak, but now you know whats up.

*dont let him know he is a better shot. He wont ever let you forget. At your wedding, he will say it. At your 50th bday, he will announce it at during a speech. At your funeral eulogy he will again tell everyone that you conceeded to him being a better shooter. He will put it on your tombstone "here lies DMP, a self admitted tier2 shooter".
Friends dont let friends get the upper hand for life. Just bet a 6pak, and if he wins and wants to hold it above you, just say you let him win. You felt guilty for fuking his mum, and got him a 6pak of beer as she said that would make him feel better about it.

• Haha
Reactions: FredHammer