• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rebarreling a bergara

hmm but $500 to rebarrel a $750 gun if it’s the standard b-14 hmr. Or even cheaper in the $600s for a hunter. Might as well buy a new gun and sell the parts except barrel.
hmm, $500 for a cerakoted barrel plus install, shipping and handling included, and test fired with target proof for a standard B-14 HMR which is if your lucky an $850 rifle on most days a $950 to $1,000 rifle vs. $670 for a Ridge, the cheapest option in a different taper plus shipping, plus background check and possibly transfer fee, plus you've got to do the work yourself or if you don't know how pay someone else to do it for a couple hundred, and once again get to wait a while and most likely void your warranty and sit on a bunch of parts that may, or may not sell. I know my decision but if the other option sounds good to you go for it! As for cerakote options on a $500 barrel for an install included, cerakoted barrel the answer would be "black" in most cases if you can find them. I don't know about your gunsmiths where you are but if you want anything but back here you are talking $300 minimum for barrel and action just for the cerakote.

Last edited:
I guess. It’s a great value when not putting the cost of the rifle in perspective. Especially since it’s the premier barrel, I guess they simply priced their rifles too well haha.

As for cerakote. $300, sounds quite expensive for a barrel. They normally go for about $60 for the barrel, and $100 more for the stock around where I’m at. The guy/shop is quite talented. He does all the cerakote for a lot of well know gun/knife/parts makers & manufacturers. Puts out some awesome stuff. I do get a discount for the amount of things I’ve sent him. But I can’t imagine the price being too far from standard pricing. Can refer you to the shop if you ever need it.

Reactions: Chris Josey
Who are some smiths who are willing to rebarrel these? I'm interested in buying one of these rifles, they're supposed to be releasing a left hand rifle sometime this year. $500 is cheap for a rebarrel at the factory, but hopefully the aftermarket will catch up and broaden its offerings on contours, twists and chamberings. The competitive cost to get into shooting vs. building a custom is very attractive, but we need to keep them running.

Tom
I fluted one incorrectly and have to rebarrel it. Keep you posted as to what I decide to do. .

My buddies need the bolt busted bushed, badley! Should have it back soon

I just finished rebarreling one for my dad. Wasn't too tough, just took a bit to figure out the bolt nose angle.

bergara-2-jpg.7063806

Attachments

• Bergara 2.jpg
    Bergara 2.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 2,991
  • Bergara 2.jpg
    Bergara 2.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 189
Just so you guys know.

Bergara just told me they are not re -barreling rifles at this time, "due to barrel production"

The guy said hopefully in the near future they will offer this service again

Just so you guys know.

Bergara just told me they are not re -barreling rifles at this time, "due to barrel production"

The guy said hopefully in the near future they will offer this service again

What does that mean barrel production?
Are they too busy making Premier rifles or is Bergara not supplying enough blanks.

I have a premier action from Bergara, and was curious about this service and sent them an email. Here's what I got :

1.) Unless you guys found out otherwise, they currently aren't doing this right now to catch up with production
2.) It would be any factory contour, not just what you're rifle came with.
3.) The barrel is cerakoted to factory colors only
4.) Any gunsmith can do it, they just need a cone nose relief cut
5.) Actions do not need to be trued

Again, everything I received from customer service via email!

Reactions: Bender
I wish I would have bought a barrelled action when I called an asked if they had them a couple years ago. I decided to go a different route at that time. I'd love to put a heavier barrel on my LRP.

I purchased a Bergara LRP Elite in 6.5 Creed about 6 months ago for a first PRS rifle. The rifle shoots very well, but I quickly learned that it would shift POI about 1.75" upward as it headed up (usually between rounds 3 and 6). I had a APA Little Bastard brake on it at the time. I called Bergara, and they told me that this is a known problem and that the rifle was never meant to be fired quickly as it was more of a match gun. After I explained the error of that reasoning, they admitted that it was a design flaw and that they are replacing it with a heavier contour on future models.

When I asked them about rebarreling, I was told that they could rebarrel in house for $500 to any barrel offered on a current rifle. The heaviest barrel contour offered is in the Ridgeback with a medium palma in 24". They also offered to sell me a prefit for $300 with a threaded crown and polished stainless in medium palma. I opted for the prefit and should get it in the mail soon. They claim it is the AI style and does not require a lathe or a nut, so we'll see how it works.

I have several buddies who shoot Bergara rifles, and I have personally witnessed 3 HMRs fail at local matches due to extractor issues. I have also seen two premium actions fail for more or less the same reason. I have a friend with a HMR Pro with the heavy barrel in 6.5 Creed who has had the same POI issues that I have experienced howbeit to a greater degree. We have found that lighter muzzle brakes reduce the POI shift, but it is definitely still there. I assume the shift is due to minor issues in manufacturing, but it could very well be the profile is simply too light for competition. This is concerning that a barrel company cannot offer a better selection of barrels for their comp guns, but it sounds like they are working on the issue.They sell their premier action for $975 and a barreled action for $1,200 which might be a better route for those looking to get into competitive shooting. Bergara is more that happy to email you the action plans if you need them to request a prefit from a third company.

Overall, I have lost a lot of faith in Bergara but haven't left them as a customer simply because they have alright customer service and I'm kinda invested at this point. If they were to offer a better barrel selection and correct the POI and extractor issues, they would be back on the playing field as an economic alternative to many of the other brands. However, I wouldn't buy into Bergara at this time if I were purchasing my first rifle (check out the MPA barreled actions for $1,500). Hopefully, this helps a few folks make an informed decision and avoid some of the issues I have experienced.

Attachments

• IMG_0341.JPG
    IMG_0341.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 498
  • Bolt Cuts.jpg
    Bolt Cuts.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:
Reactions: Ehtacs and km77
I purchased a Bergara LRP Elite in 6.5 Creed about 6 months ago for a first PRS rifle. The rifle shoots very well, but I quickly learned that it would shift POI about 1.75" upward as it headed up (usually between rounds 3 and 6). I had a APA Little Bastard brake on it at the time. I called Bergara, and they told me that this is a known problem and that the rifle was never meant to be fired quickly as it was more of a match gun. After I explained the error of that reasoning, they admitted that it was a design flaw and that they are replacing it with a heavier contour on future models.

When I asked them about rebarreling, I was told that they could rebarrel in house for $500 to any barrel offered on a current rifle. The heaviest barrel contour offered is in the Ridgeback with a medium palma in 24". They also offered to sell me a prefit for $300 with a threaded crown and polished stainless in medium palma. I opted for the prefit and should get it in the mail soon. They claim it is the AI style and does not require a lathe or a nut, so we'll see how it works.

I have several buddies who shoot Bergara rifles, and I have personally witnessed 3 HMRs fail at local matches due to extractor issues. I have also seen two premium actions fail for more or less the same reason. I have a friend with a HMR Pro with the heavy barrel in 6.5 Creed who has had the same POI issues that I have experienced howbeit to a greater degree. We have found that lighter muzzle brakes reduce the POI shift, but it is definitely still there. I assume the shift is due to minor issues in manufacturing, but it could very well be the profile is simply too light for competition. This is concerning that a barrel company cannot offer a better selection of barrels for their comp guns, but it sounds like they are working on the issue.They sell their premier action for $975 and a barreled action for $1,200 which might be a better route for those looking to get into competitive shooting. Bergara is more that happy to email you the action plans if you need them to request a prefit from a third company.

Overall, I have lost a lot of faith in Bergara but haven't left them as a customer simply because they have alright customer service and I'm kinda invested at this point. If they were to offer a better barrel selection and correct the POI and extractor issues, they would be back on the playing field as an economic alternative to many of the other brands. However, I wouldn't buy into Bergara at this time if I were purchasing my first rifle (check out the MPA barreled actions for $1,500). Hopefully, this helps a few folks make an informed decision and avoid some of the issues I have experienced.
Any chance to get a better picture, or scan of the schematic?

Just to clarify, you are getting a POI shift of about 1.75" that occurs between rounds 3 and 6 but at what distance is that.

Just to clarify, you are getting a POI shift of about 1.75" that occurs between rounds 3 and 6 but at what distance is that.
That's a fair question. The 1.75" is at 100 yards, but I guess I should say its about 1.75MOA as it holds pretty consistent out to 1000. Since I'm shooting +/-2MOA plates at most of the ranges out to 1000, it presents a pretty big problem.

Last edited:
Yes, that much POI shift at 100 yards would make the rifle useless playing this game. Hopefully the new barrel will resolve your issue.
I am on my second barrel on my B14 and have had no POI issues with the rifle even with it hot.

I emailed Bergara inquiring about purchasing a prefit for my B14, I was told that they may in the future but they have a production back log so not yet.

Have you gotten this barrel yet, and if so was a shouldered prefit or what?

Have you gotten this barrel yet, and if so was a shouldered prefit or what?
I did. It was a true prefit so no nut or reamer.

The barrel shot fairly well but started to drift as it heated up in competitions. I have since spoken with several folks, and it appears that a lot of their barrels just can't zero when they heat up. It was super picky about being clean and I ultimate threw it away and went a different route entirely. Bergara seems to make really good hunting rifles, but their barrels just don't seem to work well when driven hard in a competition. I am shooting the MPA rifles now, and it is night and day different.

Reactions: hseII and km77
So excuse my gunsmithing ignorance. But are their any barrels you can buy that are prefit and just need to have headspace adjusted or would you need to buy a blank and have then entire thing machined

This question gets asked pretty often. There's one thing about it that folks should know:

Imagine taking your car to a shop to have "whatever" done to it. You supplied the parts. The shop deems it necessary to modify this part in order for it to work to standard and they do so. You get your car back and this "thing" isn't working so you take it back. The shop tells you its the part manufacturer's fault cause all they did was "X".

You call the manufacturer and that conversation concludes with "we can't help you because a shop outside of our control altered it".
It's a recipe for one expensive round of musical chairs.

One cook. One kitchen.

Reactions: hseII and Ehtacs
Just took a Bergara in a 6.5 creed and turned it into a 6BR using a Bartlein barrel and works great using the MDT mags

I did. It was a true prefit so no nut or reamer.

The barrel shot fairly well but started to drift as it heated up in competitions. I have since spoken with several folks, and it appears that a lot of their barrels just can't zero when they heat up. It was super picky about being clean and I ultimate threw it away and went a different route entirely. Bergara seems to make really good hunting rifles, but their barrels just don't seem to work well when driven hard in a competition. I am shooting the MPA rifles now, and it is night and day different.

I would bet it's more on the lines of a bad batch of stress relieving or simply a bad batch of steel.

I have been using a B-14 Ridge with the #5 contour which is fairly light, with a 15oz can screwed on the end. I can run 10 rounds of 6.5 through it in less than 2 minutes with no shift at all.

Reactions: ballisticguy

I have an hmr 300 win mag no. 6 taper 26" barrel it shoots lights out with just my break but when I put my can on it I am off paper half the time at 100 yards. I was thinking maybe an alignment issue. Am currently waiting on an alignment rod to be delivered to check. But hearing this I'm feeling it may be a barrel issue more than a can issue.

Sorry guys, not a pre fit barrel but it is an x-calliber, MTU profile, 5R rifling at 26” barrel on a b14 action and a premier bolt. This guy I know who lives in western Washington Greysteelhammers.com it cost me $800 ish to rebarrel.

Attachments

• 9C0607AA-A102-4CFB-8C08-B3A83F1FAC2D.jpeg
    9C0607AA-A102-4CFB-8C08-B3A83F1FAC2D.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 329
Reactions: km77 and Stewy151
Sorry guys, not a pre fit barrel but it is an x-calliber, MTU profile, 5R rifling at 26” barrel on a b14 action and a premier bolt. This guy I know who lives in western Washington Greysteelhammers.com it cost me $800 ish to rebarrel.
Good looking rifle! What stock is that?

Reactions: hseII
I know this is an old post but is there any new updates here? Have folks come across anyone doing pre-fits or the like?

I know this is an old post but is there any new updates here? Have folks come across anyone doing pre-fits or the like?
I emailed Northland shooters supply and they said they can do it and there is/was roughly a 22 week wait time since it's a custom product. That isn't a bad time by many standards, but I think they're typically much faster on their listed offerings.

I emailed Northland shooters supply and they said they can do it and there is/was roughly a 22 week wait time since it's a custom product. That isn't a bad time by many standards, but I think they're typically much faster on their listed offerings.
Buy gun. Instantly order replacement barrel. Barrel burns out, new barrel arrives :). Joking aside what do they normally charge for one? Website?

Northland can do what? Prefit or remage for a bergara ?

Reactions: category_theory
Buy gun. Instantly order replacement barrel. Barrel burns out, new barrel arrives :). Joking aside what do they normally charge for one? Website?
It's not an option from the sight, you'll need to email them about it.

Was going to ask the same…. I see they have RemAge variable shoulder…. But would LOVE a shouldered barrel!
I asked about a remage because I didn't want to send in the action.

I have a brand new 24" M24 contour Hart barrel with 5/8"-24 muzzle threads I set up for a Bergara barrel nut in 6.5CM, plus one with 500 rounds on it, both listed in the PX. The Berage setup works just fine, no complaints whatsoever; I'm not aware of anybody claiming they can do shouldered prefits for Bergara actions.

Only reason I'm listing the barrels is because I went to an Archimedes action; the one I used shot fantastic, vastly better than the factory barrel, which wouldn't hold anywhere near sub-MOA for a 10-shot string.

Contact Deep South Tactical, they did a shouldered barrel for my Bergara, 1.2 " straight taper. Barrel shoots better than factory barrel ever did and turn around is pretty quick.
This is who spun mine, agreed that they do great work, awesome CS, and fast turnaround once they have the blank in hand!

Contact Deep South Tactical, they did a shouldered barrel for my Bergara, 1.2 " straight taper. Barrel shoots better than factory barrel ever did and turn around is pretty quick.
Being shouldered, did you have to send in your action?

Crown ridge barrel works does.
Have you had work done from them? I found them on a web search but I hadn’t heard of them so just curious about their quality/accuracy from those with experience.

If that’s the case then I guess you could just have them cut 2 while they have the action there right? Then the second barrel could just be torqued on, check headspace and you’d be ready to roll.

Does anyone know if there is a Bergara rep on the forum? I have seen one but that said, from what I’ve read about the history of Bergara they were originally only a barrel producer. They only recently got into making full actions. You’d think that if they increased their barrel (pre fit or other wise) production as their rifles barrels are getting shot out they’d keep folks in the “Bergara product line” and thereby keeping their customer base. Otherwise if I need to switch barrels and go through the hassle why would I just switch to a different manufacturer (rifle or action) that has more options available? Seems like a poor business move especially when they could easily make the move and open up the after market. Anyway just a rant….

Does anyone know if there is a Bergara rep on the forum? I have seen one but that said, from what I’ve read about the history of Bergara they were originally only a barrel producer. They only recently got into making full actions. You’d think that if they increased their barrel (pre fit or other wise) production as their rifles barrels are getting shot out they’d keep folks in the “Bergara product line” and thereby keeping their customer base. Otherwise if I need to switch barrels and go through the hassle why would I just switch to a different manufacturer (rifle or action) that has more options available? Seems like a poor business move especially when they could easily make the move and open up the after market. Anyway just a rant….
While what you state is logical, the reality is, very few Bergara rifle owners will actually shoot out their barrel. That goes really for all rifle owners, very few ever put enough rounds through a barrel.

Reactions: hseII
While what you state is logical, the reality is, very few Bergara rifle owners will actually shoot out their barrel. That goes really for all rifle owners, very few ever put enough rounds through a barrel.
I know a few PRS shooters that do and have and I don’t know many. I guess it also comes down to the def of “shot” out …. but ultimately my point is they have a market of people wanting to semi customize their Bergara, and giving them the opportunity is a good business move.

So to answer the truing question above... Well I don't have the answer lol
All I did with mine is lap the bolt lugs with my cut case, spring, lapping compound and marker method.

Now back to the rebarreling, I'm having a really tough time understanding why a barrel nut remage system would be so different because of the bolt. You chamber the barrel, thread the tenon and the nit adjusts head space.. what am I missing here???

Also it is of note that on the hmr the recoil lug is captured in the receiver. The front of the receiver is machined to hold the recoil lug alignment in a very premium custom receiver looking way :)
Would there be a certain amount of unsupported case?

Would there be a certain amount of unsupported case?
I don't think so but maybe an actual gunsmith can correct me if I'm wrong.
Think of a coned bolt as if you took a normal bolt and trimmed down the lugs on the forward side but kept the case holder part untouched. The chamber still fully supports the round either way because the case holder is the same distance from the barrel in either case but with the trimmed lugs you'd have a void forward of the non-load bearing side of the lugs. However, the lack of coning does eat into how many threads you have keeping the barrel in place since with a coned barrel the bolt is actually a little bit forward into the barrel in locked position.

I know a few PRS shooters that do and have and I don’t know many. I guess it also comes down to the def of “shot” out …. but ultimately my point is they have a market of people wanting to semi customize their Bergara, and giving them the opportunity is a good business move.
They used to provide a very affordable rebarrel price.

They don’t anymore because they don’t have time with how much product they are moving as it is.

Bergara has claimed before that they are held tight enough to take prefits. I wish someone would put the legwork in if measuring a bunch to see if that’s true.

Seems like a smart business move for someone, considering all of the Bergaras now floating about. I recently picked up a barrel from @bohem. Seems like something they might end up doing?

Reactions: 338dude
PRS shooters are a very very small market share. even the average target shooter at the range won't shoot out a 308/6.5CM