• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil Control Bipods

The first thing is,
One a shooting education would clearly pay for itself in a short amount of time. I would be filling up my fundamental eval with negative things.

Learning to properly shoot a rifle from a bipod can never be taken for granted.

Step one: Straight back behind the rifle

Step two: Recoil Management techniques

Step three: no extra work required - experience is self-evident as being effective in these situations

You are bladed off to the side, your head is rolled over, your finger is dug into the first knuckle and your press is more a finger squeeze vs the correct pad of the finger, straight back 90 degrees. The rifle will always exploit an angle created by the shooter.

Even with a 338, the proper technique can demonstrate, even with a 125LBS shooter the rifle will recoil in a straight line with a minimal amount of movement.

20" AI AX 338 Rifle off a bipod in the field, note the movement, note the recoil pulse, note the distance the muzzle travels in comparison to the objects around it. No spikes, which do work, no straps, no tent pegs in the ground.

But I dig the enthusiasm

I appreciate the thought Frank but everything works in reverse when the bipod is taking the recoil. I don't even need to shoulder the rifle. In retrospect I should not have.

Your instruction is based on a normal bipod where you are accepting the recoil.

The rifle is being held so tight when in position that I could kick the trigger and still hit the bull.

Its more important to cheek the butt into the rear bag to keep everything tight.

I was hoping you guys would take some time to understand the idea, but just criticizing before understanding the concept in the first place.

You also have no idea how much work it was to create that dam video in 90 degree heat after a 2 hour drive with broken AC and elbows worn raw from sand sticking to my sweaty arms... Well.. you probably do.

But... I do appreciate the hot chicks in the first couple posts... that's awesome!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: CBeck
dontcare_0.gif

Common, you just haven tried the newest in bouncy bipod extensions.. The long flexi- tube makes for everything perfect
View attachment 7120453

Wait is that you in the shadows,fixing the operators? kidding.
View attachment 7120454

I know maybe I'll get one of these and put a FOX gas strut in it to dampen the bouncing.

Saw a guy at a local club match with this, very interesting to say the least.

Reactions: Diver160651
Saw a guy at a local club match with this, very interesting to say the least.

i'm sure it helps for shooters that can't stop breathing for the split second it takes to send it.
i wouldn't laugh if somebody is using it to hit things farther than i can boast.
for me, it is just too much for zombie killing.

@PracticalTactical you we’re right in expecting to get some heat over that system. Lol, but fact of the matter is, it works for you and your needs. Not so much for mine or some of others here, but to each their own dude. Hell I’ve seen dudes hang fucking coolers off a chain to try and stabilize it as much as they could so they could get a shot off or run up to the like with 5 freakin bags, a pack, a Bipod and a tripod. ?

I also get the fact that you probably got a lot of enjoyment out of figuring it out and “tinkering” with shit. I get it. In the end, If it works for you, and you enjoy messing with it, then more power to you bro. Keep on keepin on...

Best thing you can do is spank some of the haters using that Bipod at the next F-Class match. ?

Last edited:
I agree completely... they are just home made proof of concept prototypes used for a very specific application.

I have also designed a telescopic forend system that achieves the same result. It transfers recoil to a bipod if attached to the barricade.
If it works for you and you’re winning then it’s a winner! Good luck!

Reactions: PracticalTactical
I see another couple applications for this sort of setup, if it really absorbs recoil as well as you suggest:
  • People with shoulder problems, severe arthritis, etc. - for whom shooting is unmanageably painful
  • People with limited mobility - for whom proper positioning is physically arduous/impossible

you do realize they use "bipods" that slide in the same manner as stock on a rest? not a fucking harris

To this point... when shooting groups of 10 or more, and the feet of the bipod are repositioned after the recoil of each shot, the rifle then tilts left or right based on the terrain.

One of the benefits of spiking the feet with the bipods in the video is to prevent that from happening. The feet stay in the exact same place for the entire string of shots. Nothing changes and the cant is constant.

Sure guys now bring sand bags and boards to the firing line to create a constant shooting plane that they rest the feet of the bipod on, but that's more of a pain than simply pushing the feet of the bipod into the ground 2 inches.

It's pretty simple companies have already addressed this in a similar way, he just pins the strap to the ground.

Others attach it to the shooting mat or in the case of the Larue style they attach it to the sling and you lay on it.

LaRue-Tactical-Optimized-Sniper-Sling-8.jpg

Been done, not new, just a different attachment point but the concept remains, pin the bipod with a nylon strap.

There are others, the Larue was just the first one I can think of, but other companies have done the same thing.

As far as the video in 90 degree heat, LOL, been there, done that, every month in the summer. It's always 90 on the front range after June

How is that picture the same thing?

When the rifle recoils, the legs move with it so it loses it's footing and induces cant for the next shot if it's not on a flat surface.

In that picture, the bipod plays no role in restricting the rearward movement of the rifle.

The bipods I'm showing stop the rifle from recoiling and stop the feet from moving between shots, therefore no cant is induced.

The bipods I'm showing transfer all recoil energy to the bipod feet and not your shoulder.

Keep in mind the spikes are only 2 inches long as per F Class rules but could be 10 inches long if you want to capture even more recoil energy.
6x47LBipod.jpg
SakoBipod.jpg

In this image taken from the video, the rifle is attached to a strap to a spike in the ground... Any of you can try this with stuff you have around the house.

All recoil energy goes to that spike and the shooter does not need to brace for that recoil.

I could literally remove the entire butt stock and still shoot 1/2 MOA groups with this.

TentPeg.jpg

Last edited:
For what it is worth. Guns work best when they recoil without the shooters input.

For benchrest and now F-class, use rests that allow the gun to free or semi-free recoil. These guys have no ability to see the actual impact on the paper until the spotters are applied, so they don't see/need the benefit of self-spotting .

Field guys, absolutely MUST see their impacts and thus must limit the recoil, but stopping it is not ideal. For devices like the Larue, matts with bipod loading devices and other options that allow the shooter to create drastic differences in the way the recoil is controlled, it is a slippery slope if you ever want to get off your belly. You're just not going to be able to duplicate the same recoil management technique your using with giant spikes or matts with loops when shooting off the hood of a truck, obstacle, tree branch, pack, GC or even tripod. You're going to in almost all cases, create offsets if you artificially allow devices to do the work when prone or crush forward on the bipod, instead of taking a class or otherwise learning good technique.

I wonder if whoever you are quoting tried anything I've presented in this thread.... Kinda thinking no.

I’m happy to see folks are still developing answers to questions nobody asked.

FWIW, I wouldn’t buy or use one of those things on principle. I don’t care if it suddenly makes a 155 into a negative MOA laser beam.

Interactions with potential customer bases are important. You’ve been a horrendous brand ambassador. Someone doesn’t agree, so you attack credibility and act like you’ve got some world changing device you schemed up. Fuck your bipod, learn to shoot. Learn your audience. Learn how to interact with people.

I wonder if whoever you are quoting tried anything I've presented in this thread.... Kinda thinking no.

I'll tell you that I have 100% tried spiked feet on a Bipod VRS shooting Practical Precession Matches (PRS/NRL/Feild type), tried the entire host of devices made for barricade anti-recoil...(ever wonder what all that stuff almost disappeared?) Yes, you can hit shit over driving/crushing bipods.. but I've also seen the offsets and see people stubble the first time the go from overdriving a bipod to a wobbly obstacle and sail over the top of a small target or can't figure out why they are hitting high suddenly..

The deal is rather simple, you can hit stuff across more positions way more constant and faster, using better fundamentals and less gear.

Reactions: Mike4837
As stated before your Bipod is not my thing, but that being said, It’s funny to me how people keep telling you to utilize the fundamental, learn how to shoot, take a class etc, and I’m gonna say 90% of them are all running muzzle brakes/suppressors or heavy rifle light caliber. I suppose instead of running them brakes and light recoiling calibers yal Need to go take a fucking class and learn the fundamentals.....SMH. Does running a Brake mean that you don’t know how to manage recoil efficiently? No it doesn’t. (Well that’s shooter dependent) but for the most part It means it just makes it a little bit tamer to shoot.

In F-Class, you don’t have the option to run a brake, or 25lb 6mm’s, so you modified something that would tame it and still be within the rules of F-Class. Good for you bro. If these guys were all shooting F-Class competitively, a lot of them would be looking to gain that edge as well or trying to “game” the system same as they’re doing in PRS. Who gives a shit. As I said before man, if it works for you, awesome. Most people here just wait for someone else to develop something to address an “issue” and then fork out the $$$$ For it. You developed it on your own and addressed the issue you were having. Props man ??

Just an FYI, you’re probably, and by probably I mean definetly not gonna win this argument. You asked for opinions and got some. Let it go or It’ll end up being a 25 page thread of memes about how “gay” your Bipods are. Better to just let the thread die, and let your-shooting do the talking...

Last edited:
Recoil impulse is still there, its just lessend because something is anchored into the ground along the way. It's somewhat similiar to the guys that load 70lbs of lead into their stock; the recoil is there, its just dampened yet will still make the barrel/muzzle jump and the rifle cant if not braced properly
to counteract the straight back recoil; remember, even those load down rifles will move.

Something anchored to the bottom at an angle, can actually never completely remove all of the straight back recoil impulse AND keep the gun from moving/canting based solely on the law of inertia. You are just dampening it, but it will still move much more than without a proper lined up shoulder/back position.

I'm not saying this doesn't reduce/dampen recoil. Shit, I can get a tie down strap like above and strap it to the back of a truck; but its not going to help with staying on target.

Feel free to send me one, I'll beat the shit out of it in the desert, call some random people muppets along the way and then if you're right and this magically turns the rifle into something you just press the trigger and the gun stays on target the entire time and shoots tiny groups with no positional manipulation, I'll get back on here and tell everyone to shut their mouths.

FWIW, I wouldn’t buy or use one of those things on principle. I don’t care if it suddenly makes a 155 into a negative MOA laser beam.

Interactions with potential customer bases are important. You’ve been a horrendous brand ambassador. Someone doesn’t agree, so you attack credibility and act like you’ve got some world changing device you schemed up. Fuck your bipod, learn to shoot. Learn your audience. Learn how to interact with people.

Maybe he could market it to @Son of Dorn for his homage to post-colonial mercenaries rifle.

As stated before your Bipod is not my thing, but that being said, It’s funny to me how people keep telling you to utilize the fundamental, learn how to shoot, take a class etc, and I’m gonna say 90% of them are all running muzzle brakes/suppressors or heavy rifle light caliber. I suppose instead of running them brakes and light recoiling calibers yal Need to go take a fucking class and learn the fundamentals.....SMH. Does running a Brake mean that you don’t know how to manage recoil efficiently? No it doesn’t. (Well that’s shooter dependent) but for the most part It means it just makes it a little bit better to shoot.

FWIW - remembering if you are solely belly-benchrest or benchrest, stopping recoil is NOT what the guys looking for 200-20X, or the world record groups are looking for. At that level, it has turned to free recoil, 1/4 oz triggers for most, to squeak that last 1/10 minute out. (again zero need for spotting). If that device really worked better than what todays benchrest and belly-benchrest shooters are doing, that's where it should be used.

Positional, it is even more important to manage the recoil consistently across a wide range of shooting.. even more so without a brake.

If I push my base weight 5.9lbs non-braked Magnum using long spikes on a bipod with heavy sand, eared rear bag, it is going to have a huge POI shift from when i need to drop down and shoot off the ruck..

Nothing I am saying and I am sure what some others as saying when talking about using fundamentals or a class has to do with reducing recoil, but rather using good fundamentals to be consistent across a wide variety of shooting positions and opportunities. Relying on specialized barricade blocks, a front 50lbs benchrest, tethered bipods or harshly over driven bipods, is going to work well across a wide range of shooting situations.

So ya, for our world, applying fundamentals across variety of shooting situations, is key...

If I was a modern F-classer, I would look to the slick front matt and a joy-pod or rest for open and learn the techniques they are using.

Reactions: HogsLife

Well there's the problem with the written word...

I'm not attacking anyone and sincerely hope not to offend. I'm simply trying to speak to the points being presented in a factual way.

From my end of this discussion it seems guys are just committed to how they have always done it and therefore this, since it is different, is just wrong and that is unfair.

Most are not considering this in any useful way. Instead many are poking fun and discrediting validity of the point apparently without even watching the entire video before commenting. And the comments are directed at my shooting position rather than the bipod system which is actually the point of the video.

Also, and this is important... I'm not selling anything here and have no plans to sell it. That's why I posted this in an open forum for all you guys to see.

If some guy out there wants to run with it, they are more than welcome to do so. I will be happy to see them succeed. Heck I'll provide every last variant I have come up with if they want it... and there's a lot.

This entire thing is a very different format from anything I have ever seen used by anyone beside myself. I just thought some of you might find some value in it. If not that's OK, but I don't care for this to be made into some kind of a joke.

I can tell by the comments that many of the guys don't really understand just how this is different from anything else out there, and for me it's obvious. I never thought it would be so hard to simply demonstrate such a thing with no ulterior motives and nothing else to gain.

I did watch the video and enjoyed the out of the box thinking and seeing the proof of concept devices. If your devices work for you, rock on.
I also agree with what others were saying about fundamentals and how this wouldn't work for PRS type or multi positional shooting and see these comments as valid, even if they aren't addressing what you are asking about.
For strictly prone shooting this could serve you well particularly with injured shooters or those who can't tolerate recoil. You've just tried to show your prize pig at a cattle show...:p

FWIW - remembering if you are solely belly-benchrest or benchrest, stopping recoil is NOT what the guys looking for 200-20X, or the world record groups are looking for. At that level, it has turned to free recoil, 1/4 oz triggers for most, to squeak that last 1/10 minute out. (again zero need for spotting). If that device really worked better than what todays benchrest and belly-benchrest shooters are doing, that's where it should be used.

Positional, it is even more important to manage the recoil consistently across a wide range of shooting.. even more so without a brake.

If I push my base weight 5.9lbs non-braked Magnum using long spikes on a bipod with heavy sand, eared rear bag, it is going to have a huge POI shift from when i need to drop down and shoot off the ruck..

Nothing I am saying and I am sure what some others as saying when talking about using fundamentals or a class has to do with reducing recoil, but rather using good fundamentals to be consistent across a wide variety of shooting positions and opportunities. Relying on specialized barricade blocks, a front 50lbs benchrest, tethered bipods or harshly over driven bipods, is going to work well across a wide range of shooting situations.

So ya, for our world, applying fundamentals across variety of shooting situations, is key...

If I was a modern F-classer, I would look to the slick front matt and a joy-pod or rest for open and learn the techniques they are using.

I agree 100%. I’m a fundamentals guy to the bone. Obviously, proper fundamentals are the key and first and foremost. I’m “assuming”, based off of what the OP stated is that he is not new to the F-Class scene and his scores show it. I’ve never met the guy, seen him or seen his scores, so I’m not about to call him a liar or critique his shooting or his knowledge of shooting.

That being said, when proper fundamentals are implace, I don’t see an issue at that point using additional devices to “tame” the recoil or whatever even more. Ie muzzle brakes, Bipod whatever. I’m also not seeing the use of something like this in the type of shooting we’re doing. I’m commenting strictly on “His” specific need for it in F-Class aka Belly Benchresr. I give him props for addressing an issue that he himself was having in his specific type of shooting through product experimentation and development. Can’t fault a guy for that, and regardless if I can use it or not, it works for him, and that’s what matters.

Well there's the problem with the written word...

I'm not attacking anyone and sincerely hope not to offend. I'm simply trying to speak to the points being presented in a factual way.

From my end of this discussion it seems guys are just committed to how they have always done it and therefore this, since it is different, is just wrong and that is unfair.

Most are not considering this in any useful way. Instead many are poking fun and discrediting validity of the point apparently without even watching the entire video before commenting. And the comments are directed at my shooting position rather than the bipod system which is actually the point of the video.

Also, and this is important... I'm not selling anything here and have no plans to sell it. That's why I posted this in an open forum for all you guys to see.

If some guy out there wants to run with it, they are more than welcome to do so. I will be happy to see them succeed. Heck I'll provide every last variant I have come up with if they want it... and there's a lot.

This entire thing is a very different format from anything I have ever seen used by anyone beside myself. I just thought some of you might find some value in it. If not that's OK, but I don't care for this to be made into some kind of a joke.

I can tell by the comments that many of the guys don't really understand just how this is different from anything else out there, and for me it's obvious. I never thought it would be so hard to simply demonstrate such a thing with no ulterior motives and nothing else to gain.

Dude that was obvious from the start. Defending yourself and your Bipods from ignorant ass disrespectful comments is not “disrespecting your potential customer base”... and if they don’t like what you have to say then fuck them. They can “deal” with it. Some people don’t bother to read your reply because they’re like little 16 year old Instagram Models posting for “Likes”.....nothing more. Reaction scores and Franks “Hide Trophy’s”. You can tell when their “reaction score” is higher than their post count....

Have any of your fellow F-Class shooters demo’d your Bipods? What were their thoughts?

Someone shows up to a match with some new piece of kit that works and works well, rocks it out and places, it get's discussed on The Hide that day or the next, everyone is talking about it, some like, some don't but the orders roll in.

Proof of concept outside of a match and via a dialog gets you exactly nothing. You are asking us to replace what we know works well (THE best marksmen on planet Earth) with an imagined problem, or rather there are probably very few of the top thousand or so shooters who have this bi problem with recoil, can't manage it, and it ruins their accuracy.

The rout most people go is to get a champion to use your product in a match and say how great it is. "What the Pros Use" makes people copulate in their Levis.

This approach is going to get this labeled the Gaypod.
raw

Dude that was obvious from the start. Defending yourself and your Bipods from ignorant ass disrespectful comments is not “disrespecting your potential customer base”... and if they don’t like what you have to say then fuck them. They can “deal” with it. Some people don’t bother to read your reply because they’re like little 16 year old Instagram Models posting for “Likes”.....nothing more. Reaction scores and Franks “Hide Trophy’s”. You can tell when their “reaction score” is higher than their post count....

Have any of your fellow F-Class shooters demo’d your Bipods? What were their thoughts?

Lol. Coming from the guy with every paid access label he can get. Trying to get a sponsor so you can buy a commercial tag, and then be suuuuuuuper important?

Grow up Nancy. Deal with that. Don’t be a punkass, next time you have a problem, directly state it. Stop acting like a little girl.

As stated before your Bipod is not my thing, but that being said, It’s funny to me how people keep telling you to utilize the fundamental, learn how to shoot, take a class etc, and I’m gonna say 90% of them are all running muzzle brakes/suppressors or heavy rifle light caliber. I suppose instead of running them brakes and light recoiling calibers yal Need to go take a fucking class and learn the fundamentals.....SMH. Does running a Brake mean that you don’t know how to manage recoil efficiently? No it doesn’t. (Well that’s shooter dependent) but for the most part It means it just makes it a little bit tamer to shoot.

In F-Class, you don’t have the option to run a brake, or 25lb 6mm’s, so you modified something that would tame it and still be within the rules of F-Class. Good for you bro. If these guys were all shooting F-Class competitively, a lot of them would be looking to gain that edge as well or trying to “game” the system same as they’re doing in PRS. Who gives a shit. As I said before man, if it works for you, awesome. Most people here just wait for someone else to develop something to address an “issue” and then fork out the $$$$ For it. You developed it on your own and addressed the issue you were having. Props man ??

Just an FYI, you’re probably, and by probably I mean definetly not gonna win this argument. You asked for opinions and got some. Let it go or It’ll end up being a 25 page thread of memes about how “gay” your Bipods are. Better to just let the thread die, and let your-shooting do the talking...
This is what I said in not so many words in post #8 in this thread. Guys will use other tools........just not this one.

What about the guys that run around with bags strapped to their rifles or arms etc. What about the guys that use all the fancy barricade stops and arca rail attachments. That shit is only practical while playing games. No different than this bipod contraption.

This bipod does similar to what a muzzle brake does just without the noise albeit more limited in use. If it works for your situation then use it.

I appreciate the thought Frank but everything works in reverse when the bipod is taking the recoil. I don't even need to shoulder the rifle. In retrospect I should not have.

Your instruction is based on a normal bipod where you are accepting the recoil.

The rifle is being held so tight when in position that I could kick the trigger and still hit the bull.

Its more important to cheek the butt into the rear bag to keep everything tight.

I was hoping you guys would take some time to understand the idea, but just criticizing before understanding the concept in the first place.

You also have no idea how much work it was to create that dam video in 90 degree heat after a 2 hour drive with broken AC and elbows worn raw from sand sticking to my sweaty arms... Well.. you probably do.

But... I do appreciate the hot chicks in the first couple posts... that's awesome!!!

Uh oh, boss man ain't gonna like this :)

Lol. Coming from the guy with every paid access label he can get. Trying to get a sponsor so you can buy a commercial tag, and then be suuuuuuuper important?

Grow up Nancy. Deal with that. Don’t be a punkass, next time you have a problem, directly state it. Stop acting like a little girl.

Lol, good one bro. You got me there......

If not @bourbonbent makes me a scared little bitch, than being a loud mouth disrespectful douche bag on the Internet must make you one tough SOB in real life....guess we’ll just have to take your word for it.

Take care dude, I gotta to go pay for some real life experience.......

Lol, good one bro. You got me there......

If not @bourbonbent makes me a scared little bitch, than being a loud mouth disrespectful douche bag for “likes” on the Internet must make you one tough SOB in real life.

Take care dude, I gotta to go pay for some real life experience.......

Don’t worry about it, I have enough of that for the both of us. You can sit this one out.

Also, your comebacks are super weak. I haven’t said anything I wouldn’t say standing in front of you, I can promise you that.

Have a good one!

Reactions: HogsLife
Don’t worry about it, I have enough of that for the both of us. You can sit this one out.

Also, your comebacks are super weak. I haven’t said anything I wouldn’t say standing in front of you, I can promise you that.

Have a good one!

You da man bro...??

still have to admit the girl with the recoil management in the rear strikes my fancy more than the others whether they are better or not i don't know she looks way nicer to observe with the rear shock dampening recoil (y)(y)(y) followed by the strap in the ground thing(y)(y)

There should be a match! Since PracticalTactical brought up F Class style...and the know-it-all’s in this thread are so amazing...

1. PracticalTactical gets to use a 6mm, his hand loads, and his contraption

2. The know-it-all’s in this thread use a 7 lb 30-06, with PPU ammo, iron sights, and a $30 UTG bipod, no recoil pad, wearing a t-shirt

Since you guys are so amazing at recoil management, and are super awesome shooters telling everyone else how to shoot - you should beat him by at least 5 points! You will probably get a 200 with 20 X-rings!