• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil Control Bipods

There should be a match! Since PracticalTactical brought up F Class style...and the know-it-all’s in this thread are so amazing...

1. PracticalTactical gets to use a 6mm, his hand loads, and his contraption

2. The know-it-all’s in this thread use a 7 lb 30-06, with PPU ammo, iron sights, and a $30 UTG bipod, no recoil pad, wearing a t-shirt

Since you guys are so amazing at recoil management, and are super awesome shooters telling everyone else how to shoot - you should beat him by at least 5 points! You will probably get a 200 with 20 X-rings!
Only if PracticalTactical is stuck with the flat trigger disadvantage.

There’s a lot to be learned here!
View attachment 7121083

I’m pretty conflicted by what I’m looking at here. On one hand, It’s freaking AWESOME and I could watch it all day, but on the other hand I want to swap out that rifle she’s shooting with an 8lb unbraked bolt action 50 BMG with no eye relief or recoil absorbing Bipods and let the 1st round fix that position for her.........

Last edited:
Because it shouldn’t matter to these guys. For them, recoil means nothing

PRS rifles and F class rifles get brought up and compared to one another as if a prs rifle is a monstrous beast of a rifle shooting a mouse gun chambering and that FTR rifles are light weight massively recoiling boomers and not massive 18lb 308 and 223 hogs in their own right...

The most glaring point to me is that I dont see any other F class shooters typing up their bipods either...
Its almost as if having proper fundamentals can apply to any shooting discipline.

There should be a match! Since PracticalTactical brought up F Class style...and the know-it-all’s in this thread are so amazing...

2. The know-it-all’s in this thread use a 7 lb 30-06, with PPU ammo, iron sights, and a $30 UTG bipod, no recoil pad, wearing a t-shirt

Since you guys are so amazing at recoil management, and are super awesome shooters telling everyone else how to shoot - you should beat him by at least 5 points! You will probably get a 200 with 20 X-rings!

Can you please give us as much detail as possible on the incident in your life that made you this retarded?

Can you please give us as much detail as possible on the incident in your life that made you this retarded?

The incident: reading through this thread.

So many know-it-all’s dogging this guy who tried to solve something. If you guys are as good as you’re acting, this competition I posed should be simple for you.

If it’s not, then STFU

FWIW... I'll try to get more granular than one of my earlier posts.

A lot of the barricade devices that flooded the market at the matches, worked similar in concept to the staked bipod. They would stop the recoil, some "you could actually pull back into the barricade". Hell, I even used a Arca rail and would slide my bipod backwards trapping it hard against the bag, creating a very similar effect. So in essence, the reverse load or no load, with something stoping recoil has not gone unproven. While these all "worked", seems they have almost all but vanish.

The problem is/was, it just creates a large enough difference in recoil path based in the angle of the stop vrs the POA, that it is not as repeatable on all targets, under a large verity of circumstances. On top of that, in the case of this bipod, it is going to have a hard time working on a large verity of surfaces. Back East you might find a lot of F-class on grass, out West at my club you’ll find deep fine gravel, some practice off cement.

Some of us took the time to explain the issues.

it’s 200-20x

It is embarrassing what you don’t know, then get on here and to brake balls.

Last edited:
FWIW... I'll try to get more granular than one of my earlier posts.

A lot of the barricade devices that flooded the market at the matches, worked similar in concept to the staked bipod. They would stop the recoil, some "you could actually pull back into the barricade". Hell, I even used a Arca rail and would slide my bipod backwards trapping it hard against the bag, creating a very similar effect. So in essence, the reverse load or no load, with something stoping recoil has not gone unproven. While these all "worked", seems they have almost all but vanish.

The problem is/was, it just creates a large enough difference in recoil path based in the angle of the stop vrs the POA, that it is not as repeatable on all targets, under a large verity of circumstances. On top of that, in the case of this bipod, it is going to have a hard time working on a large verity of surfaces. Back East you might find a lot of F-class on grass, out West at my club you’ll find deep fine gravel, some practice off cement.

Some of us took the time to explain the issues.

it’s 200-20x

It is embarrassing what you don’t know, then get on here and to brake balls.

Funny

NRA Highpower rulebook uses X ring

You should email them to change the rulebook to deprecate the word “ring”

Last edited:

Well that depends. Do we get to put grip tape on our flat triggers? Oh wait. That's fundamentals too shit

For benchrest and now F-class, use rests that allow the gun to free or semi-free recoil. These guys have no ability to see the actual impact on the paper until the spotters are applied, so they don't see/need the benefit of self-spotting .

I don't know shit about benchrest so I won't comment on your absolute statement about it.

I do, however, know quite a bit about NRA bullseye rifle shooting, both with irons and with scopes. While they (and I) don't need to see an impact because it's impossible to see it on paper, we ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY need to be able to call our shots because what we do when the spotter shows up on target depends a great fucking deal on what our shot call and wind call combined together tell us to do.

So yes, being able to see the front sight or reticle track up and come back down on target is essential if you want to have a winning clue about your wind call and your hold and their combined effect on target.

I honestly think that the majority of people crapping on this guy simply have never competed at any serious level in any NRA rifle match.

I don't know shit about benchrest so I won't comment on your absolute statement about it.

I do, however, know quite a bit about NRA bullseye rifle shooting, both with irons and with scopes. While they (and I) don't need to see an impact because it's impossible to see it on paper, we ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY need to be able to call our shots because what we do when the spotter shows up on target depends a great fucking deal on what our shot call and wind call combined together tell us to do.

So yes, being able to see the front sight or reticle track up and come back down on target is essential if you want to have a winning clue about your wind call and your hold and their combined effect on target.

I honestly think that the majority of people crapping on this guy simply have never competed at any serious level in any NRA rifle match.
In what NRA discipline would this POS be a benefit?

In what NRA discipline would this POS be a benefit?
Did I say this bipod would be a benefit? I said the guy who is explaining what NRA shooters need to see doesn't know what he's talking about.

Stop putting words in people's mouths and learn some reading comprehension.

Reactions: HogsLife
Ubl
Did I say this bipod would be a benefit? I said the guy who is explaining what NRA shooters need to see doesn't know what he's talking about.

Stop putting words in people's mouths and learn some reading comprehension.
Seeing impact does not equal calling shot. But okay

Also. Why does your reticle move up and down? We're aking f class arent we?

need to be able to call our shots because what we do when the spotter shows up on target depends a great fucking deal on what our shot call and wind call combined together tell us to do.

You need to go back and read what I said. You can not on paper see your shot at 1000 yards... period.. not matter how good you are.

Calling your shot can happen on a pistol or any weapon system, seeing the spotting disc put in manually by the spotting crew, is not seeing your shot nor is “calling your shot”.

Spin down a notch

Last edited:
You need to go back and read what I said. You can not on paper see your shot at 1000 yards... period.. not matter how good you are.

Calling your shot can happen on a pistol or any weapon system, seeing the slotting disc put in manually by the spotting crew, is not seeing your shot nor is “calling your shot”.

Spin down a notch
Watch out.

You might get put on ignore by a moron

• Haha
Reactions: Spblademaker

Calling your shot can happen on a pistol or any weapon system, seeing the spotting disc put in manually by the spotting crew, is not seeing your shot nor is “calling your shot”.

Spin down a notch
FFS some people just can't read..............

Remember, this is the guy that thinks overtravel and 1st stage movement makes his finger slip off the trigger.

Reactions: b6graham
The incident: reading through this thread.

So many know-it-all’s dogging this guy who tried to solve something. If you guys are as good as you’re acting, this competition I posed should be simple for you.

If it’s not, then STFU

Our finger might slip off the trigger with all that recoil.

Idiots with zero experience defending idiots that actually posr videos showing their inexperience.

This is my favorite day.

Dude that was obvious from the start. Defending yourself and your Bipods from ignorant ass disrespectful comments is not “disrespecting your potential customer base”... and if they don’t like what you have to say then fuck them. They can “deal” with it. Some people don’t bother to read your reply because they’re like little 16 year old Instagram Models posting for “Likes”.....nothing more. Reaction scores and Franks “Hide Trophy’s”. You can tell when their “reaction score” is higher than their post count....

Have any of your fellow F-Class shooters demo’d your Bipods? What were their thoughts?

Thank you HogsLife

Much like how this thread has gone, guys have a hard time getting their heads around it. There's usually some guy quietly making jokes about the rope, because its uncouth.

One the first day of a match there's always one or two guys standing there looking at it while scratching their chins and I can see their wheels turning.

As for how guys like it... The 6 X 47L in the AI chassis that I show in the video sold immediately once I decided to sell it, and the buyer bought the rifle primarily to get the bipod. He could just as well have put his own rifle together, but making one of these bipods is a PITA, so path of least resistance.

To this day, he is just as puzzled as I am that people don't understand the benefits of such a system.

Like I stated in one of my earlier comments, I have no plans to sell these. It's just a thing that works that I wanted to share with the shooting community.

For a production version I have considered replacing the rope with rubber pads to soften the movement.

I've also considered improving the reaction geometry to track directly along the axis of the bore by making the forend telescopic and trapped between opposing pressures... that way the recoil impulse would track perfectly. It would also allow the usual accessories to be added to the rifle so it could be used in PRS and help reduce recoil when shooting from the barricades. An arca rail combined with such a forend would track like a bench gun.

Spin down a notch

In the video I'm not demonstrating that I can spot the hits on steel... I'm demonstrating that I'm watching the bullets in the air long before they get to the steel, but yes I see them hit as well. The point is not made very clear, but I originally posted that video on the assumption that people saw the other Recoil Control video first where I make that point several times.

The target I was shooting at in the video is fairly close at 390 yards or so so time is limited to spot the shot in the air, yet I can easily... and farther distance with longer flight time allow me to watch the bullet wander about as it hits various winds along the way to the target.

There's a type of sniper match that goes on in my area that is fired prone just like F Class but targets are military soldiers they call Figure 11 etc.. They present timed exposures and movers and you need to watch the bullets in flight to know where they hit.

If you cannot watch the bullet in the air, then you wont know where they went until they show you the shot indicators at the end of your string. At that point it's too late and you are down points.

Yes we are allowed to have a spotter and if he's any good he can help, but that is not always the case. If you don't have a good partner for the event you take what you get and live with it. Either way two eyes are better than one.

So I have found the fast recovery time and return to point of aim very helpful in spotting the rounds fly and that for me is the payoff, even if I cant see the actual bullet holes.

Last edited:
i hate to join in but ive "wasted my time" on shooting contraptions as well

hell i even made and manufactured a analog ballistic calculator that a few guys have played with

that didnt take 20 min on a saturday, but it does work in its intended roll

oh, i forgot there are ballistic calc out lol

im going to watch the videos again

with that being said i really hope it works and works well...why the hell not?!

just remember, sanity has no place around here

Whoa, careful there. Asking folks off of the interweb to leave moms basement and back something up in the real world is a terrifying request.

Whoa, careful there. Asking folks off of the interweb to leave moms basement and back something up in the real world is a terrifying request.
said the basement dwelling troglodyte hammer fisting his keyboard knocking up the month old Cheeto dust.

Reactions: Steel head
In the video I'm not demonstrating that I can spot the hits on steel... I'm demonstrating that I'm watching the bullets in the air long before they get to the steel, but yes I see them hit as well. The point is not made very clear, but I originally posted that video on the assumption that people saw the other Recoil Control video first where I make that point several times.

The target I was shooting at in the video is fairly close at 390 yards or so so time is limited to spot the shot in the air, yet I can easily... and farther distance with longer flight time allow me to watch the bullet wander about as it hits various winds along the way to the target.

There's a type of sniper match that goes on in my area that is fired prone just like F Class but targets are military soldiers they call Figure 11 etc.. They present timed exposures and movers and you need to watch the bullets in flight to know where they hit.

If you cannot watch the bullet in the air, then you wont know where they went until they show you the shot indicators at the end of your string. At that point it's too late and you are down points.

Yes we are allowed to have a spotter and if he's any good he can help, but that is not always the case. If you don't have a good partner for the event you take what you get and live with it. Either way two eyes are better than one.

So I have found the fast recovery time and return to point of aim very helpful in spotting the rounds fly and that for me is the payoff, even if I cant see the actual bullet holes.
Just to be clear, I am not saying in that your device, nor the technique of blocking recoil mechanical from the front of the rifle does not reduce the recoil and better let the shooter see the trace.

What I am saying is that it has been tried across a fairly large scope of shooters, with a variety of manufacturers’ gadgets. Again, my personal experience is that they end up doing far less in the long run for any shooter that is shooting across a variety supports, surfaces, obstacles that also interface with a varied FOF. The angle created between the DOF and the obstacles that support the front of the rifle changed the recoil path from set up to set up.

There are specific instances that the above devices work, such as the one tie braking barricade in PRS matches that is generally lined up straight to the target, has a flat perpendicular surface. But that is generally not what the shooters encounter for the rest of the match and why you see them so infrequently now.

I also agree that seeing trace is a huge advantage for steel targets as it gives an approximate location for a miss in areas of high vegetation that one might not otherwise see. A good example is Frank and Carl Taylor’s Sniper’s Hide Cup. If on a standard bipod and a braked rifle, it is fairly common to see your trace if the wind has not blown it out. But even though it is a match mostly on natural terrain, a bipod on the dirt is often not the best tool.

Again, not saying that in a specific case as in your videos the bipod is not valuable for you, it’s just that similar conditions don’t exist as much as you might think for many of us. Proper fundamentals are the true key to self spotting along with the rifle systems being used across the varieties of surfaces and positions being shot.

It is a lot easier to communicate face to face, or while demonstrating the features, benefits or pitfalls of a topic in person. The tone is important and I for one, can not type the way I might intend it to be read. I suspect others in this thread are suffering from the same affliction.

BTW I invite all in this thread to come out to our September PRS match in Central California or better yet our Team Field Match in November. It will be on 100% natural terrain but few if any bipod shots. While I have shoot with a lot of cool hide guys, I would be great to put a name to more faces. PM me for details or look in the Local Match Forum.

Jim

Last edited:
I hear you Diver... But let's not to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet... The principle can be utilized in more palatable ways for a more diverse audience... Like PRS.

I'm just kicking this out there as what I think would represent the maximum evolution of the concept.

Consider this picture indicating a barrel in the center with a two piece forend with the green outer sliding along the red inner hull and along the axis of bore via dovetails.

With soft silicone bumpers at the front and back of the dovetail the compressive pressure would hold the inner and outer forend system in place so nothing would rattle, but it would slide in either direction under recoil, but along a controlled axis.

The green outer sleeve attached to an Arca rail grabbing the barricade would slowly transmit the recoil to the barricade but not all at once like an Arca rail will do.

The difference being that such a forened would allow the rifle to track with many common bipods with raptor feet or barricade hooks and contribute to recoil mitigation in a wider variety of applications.

A forend like this could easily be 3D printed to try it out.

Just throwing this out there.

Tracking Forend.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, I think Cadex makes a sliding Picatinny rail attachment that might be able to be used in much the same way and in a more simplified manner.

Last edited:

i think you're talking about trace here. but i'd think someone with your in depth knowledge of shooting would be able to articulate that simple word