• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Recoil off bipod

Re: Recoil off bipod

FRANK:
“This mind is where data will come from, these are the minds that bring you this type of data.
That's all I'm saying because I have already addressed the "why" over and over again and he just won't ""admit the rifle is bouncing off the shooter.”""

BEEZAUR:

“Why do people use Pod-Locs, or tighten the nut for that matter?
TO ALLOW THE RIFLE TO BE RETURNED TO THE SAME UPRIGHT POSITION WITH AS LITTLE WORK EXPENDED AS POSSIBLE BETWEEN SHOTS TO MAINTAIN THE “LEVEL” OF THE RIFLE TO OFFSET CANTING.

Why do people prevent their bipods from swiveling during the shot?
TO REDUCE CANTING DURING THE SHOT.

I'm completely serious.

When you lay down in position and level up, nothing moves. There is no strain required to hold the rifle level until the shot. It has no effect on ranging. No effect of dialing elevation or holding wind. No effect on putting the crosshairs on the target. Nothing to do with breathing, trigger control, position, any of that. BULLSHIT.
WHEN YOU lay down in position, the rifle moves when you put your hand on the grip, and it moves in whatever direction you put the pressure.
WHEN YOU put your head down on the stock, the rifle moves away from the pressure.
WHEN YOU breath, the rifle moves up and down with the movement caused by lung expansion.
WHEN YOU manipulate the trigger, the rifle moves in the direction of the pressure.

So why add the lever (or tighten the nut)? Why bother?
TO HOLD THE RIFLE IN POSITION TO REDUCE THE CANTING THAT CAN BE INDUCED BY ANY OF THE ABOVE PRESSURES CAUSED BY THE SHOOTER WHEN PRESENTING THE RIFLE AND APPLYING THE FUNDAMENTALS.

What, exactly, do you do if you want to cause bipod hop?”

FRANK:

“if you want to cause hop, kick yourself off to the side of the rifle at an angle, pull the rifle into the shoulder only and then slap the trigger, it will launch in the opposite direction of your firing hand.”
THAT IS ONE THING YOU CAN DO TO CREATE BIPOD HOP.
THE most common thing to cause bipod hop is to NOT exert sufficient hold on the rifle to control the recoil. You MUST exert sufficient hold on the rifle to control the recoil consistent with fundamentals of marksmanship.
THE MOST COMMON REASON FOR LEFT/RIGHT HOP is the PLACEMENT of the butt in the shoulder pocket.
RIGHT HANDED SHOOTER puts the butt too close to the collar bone, allows the rifle to roll right into the shoulder pocket and hop right.
RIGHT HANDED SHOOTER puts the butt out on the shoulder muscle to the right of the pocket and when fired, the rifle rolls left into the pocket and hops left.
This is reversed for a left handed shooter.

THIS ALSO HAPPENS WHEN A RIFLE IS FIRED NRA STYLE WITH A SLING. IT IS NOT SPECIFIC TO A BIPOD. PHYSICS ARE PHYSICS.

BEEZAUR:

“Does it hit your collar bone or something? What do you mean about the shoulder angle?”
GUBICA answered that in his post very well, and add to that my answer above and you should get the point.

BEEZAUR:
“Well, if no one here cares about my dynamics work, then I guess there really isn't a point to my wasting my time writing it up, is there?”

YOU POSTULATE an opinion based on one person, one rifle, one incident. It is not scientific. It is a postulation.
You run the same experiment 100 times with your 243, your body, your conditions and get the exact same results each time, you have proven a single theorem.
You get different results during the 100 incidents, you have an unproven theorem and are expressing an opinion only.

Since the military and civilian competitions that have been in place for years have proven their postulations and theorems, and have published them, AND instructors have successfully used those now established facts training people, your unproven work, based on your words, a single experiment, goes against the grain.
Those people who use the proven facts in training and have success after success, do not care about your work, since others in the past have proven that your idea as you have expressed it here (rotational influence), ""has about a 1% influence on shooting and is easily overcome by the properly applied grip pressure when firing a rifle.""

Beezaur, no offense intended by my above post, but you aren’t listening to people who know way more than you and all of them know (rotational influence), has about a 1% influence on shooting and is easily overcome by the properly applied grip pressure when firing a rifle.

They also know bipod hop is caused (1) by recoil, and (2) by the lack of properly applied force to control the recoil in conjunction with fundamentals of marksmanship.

You can’t get around that, no matter how much you argue your opinion and your work is incomplete as you have only done it with one rifle, your 243, against your body, and you have not excluded the outside influences of improper placement of the butt in the shoulder pocket and you have not excluded differing placement of your body that gives inconsistent body mass placement behind the rifle to provide a consistent backstop for the recoil.

Again, absolutely no offense intended.

I ran some more tests last night. These were designed specifically to study bipod movement, so I got much more information.

I did a few shots with rearward restraint only, to see how the rifle rotated by itself. I did get some hop, but not as much as I expected.

It turns out there are two main periods where movement will occur, then the rifle is launching the bullet, and when the rifle is coming to the rear extent of its travel and back again. Bipod hop can start in either timeframe.

Anything that moves the rifle differently during bullet launch will affect bullet impact. Trigger control, breathing, anything that affects how the rifle travels during recoil. The bipod structurally extends the rifle to the ground support. It plays a big part in how the rifle recoils, beyond just bipod hop or no. This should make sense. The forces applied to the rifle by the bipod are about an order of magnitude larger than any off-axis force applied by the trigger finger, etc.

Major factors at play during this early time include:
- structural character of the forend
- structural character of the bipod
- nature of contact between bipod and ground
- all contacts with shooter
Just to name a few.

Any motion imparted during this early recoil *can* be magnified by the rifle's rebound forward. It's a little like having your car hood fly open going down the highway (pretend that latch wasn't there). This time lasts from <1/100 of a second to around 1/30 second. This is where tiny motions imparted by the bipod (or anything else) can be magnified into full-blown, sight-picture-destroying bipod hop. But not always. You can have motion that changes impact but does not cause hop. Or you can have a clean bullet launch and start hop after exit. So you can have hop from multiple causes, and it can start at different times. You can also have an impact-disturbing motion that causes hop or not.

So it is a fairly complicated situation.

Bipods with pivots below the forend can cause lateral rifle motion, but not always. It depends mostly on the structural character of the bipod and the nature of the contact between ground and the bipod feet. In general, super-good purchase on the ground will cause problems. In most cases you want to have good support, but it needs to be consistent support from one shooting position to the next. You want the bipod to affect the rifle the same way on concrete, grass, wood, whatever.

So that's about the end of my involvement on this. I wanted to share last night's test because it clarifies some things much better than my old tests.

Scott

All in,.....All done,....Wait, what important lesson have we learned from all this?

Ummm, hiphop still sucks...?

...no, no, wait...

Generalissimo Franco is still dead...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beezaur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Suppose someone comes to you who is shooting a rifle with an inconsistent trigger that is set at 12 lbs</span>, and the trigger is affecting their shooting. Are you going to rail on them about trigger control and tell them to suck it up and deal with the trigger? Or are you going to teach them proper trigger control *and* tell them to go see a smith about a better trigger.

</div></div>

I have a caulking gun that breaks cleanly at 9 pounds (if I do my part).

Keith

I went to Rifles Only last month for a little training, today I was shooting without my muzzle brake on and watching my rounds hit at 100-600, if your gun is moving after the shot, your doing it wrong, period!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beezaur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Suppose someone comes to you who is shooting a rifle with an inconsistent trigger that is set at 12 lbs</span>, and the trigger is affecting their shooting. Are you going to rail on them about trigger control and tell them to suck it up and deal with the trigger? Or are you going to teach them proper trigger control *and* tell them to go see a smith about a better trigger.

</div></div>

I have a caulking gun that breaks cleanly at 9 pounds (if I do my part).

Keith </div></div>

i bet the muzzle doesnt even jump a bit

train_wreck200.jpg

Can't quit looking....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems to me, some people are not taking the time to watch any of the videos I posted... cause we're not using any recoil managing aids, and we are shooting off a hard surface that should be causing all kinds of problems, yet we aren't having the problems.

Also, the kid shooting left handed is clearly having his rifle jump in the opposite direction the right handed shooters are seeing, which lends one to see how its shooter induced.

The videos are pretty clear, without digging the bipod into the ground, using aggressive feet, etc, the rifles are recoiling straight back and returning to target. It's pretty simply and easy to see.

One thing i was thinking about while hauling rocks around my yard, is that sideways component of the torque as speculated on with such vigor... why then even in the video of Jacob using a suppressor doesn't the rifle appear to twist on the AI spigot bipod which is more free standing ? If you reduce the felt recoil straight back with a suppressor, that should leave a large amount of the sideways intact, however it's not there and yet it's all pretty standard fare being used.

Watch the video, there are clues there... </div></div>

LL,

This must be THE 'bipod' thread you mentioned the other day in the Shoutbox. No wonder you said you were so frustrated.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to put the vid up. Its CLEAR to me from watching your video what actually can be done with proper technique. I will endeavour to put it good use.

The video of the kid was interesting actually. I'd have to watch it again, but what DIDN'T I see? I didn't see him loading the pod for one thing. A clue?
laugh.gif

Thank you sir!

Very helpful thread guys, thanks. My .243 still jumps a bit but it's gotten alot better (the target stays in my FOV) and now my groups are more or less round where I used to get vertical stringing pretty often.
Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Tburkes said:
.....(Has the OP even been back?)
</div></div>

If he was smart, he would stay out after having started this shit-storm, until he got his problem fixed, posted it, then ran away..
smile.gif

This thread has confirmed my decision to do the on-line training once my rig is fully set up and I find a range that will allow me to shoot prone. (Not sure why shooting pprone is so evil, but it seems to be.)

I was shooting my RRA LAR-8 off sandbags and did semi-OK, so now my choice is to use a bipod or rucksack, but that must be another thread..........

THis has been fun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys always think they are the best fighters, fuckers, and fire a gun better than anyone else, yet the truth is a lot more real and a lot less impressive.</div></div>

This is the best point to gain out of this whole flippin thread.

The only comment I'll make about the bi-pod.
The video about trigger control along with loading the bi-pod was excellent.

WOW this is the first time I have read an entire thread from start to finish that regarded a shooting technique question.

To the OP, listen to Frank he knows what he speaks of and all the rest in this thread is full of superfluous crap one would need hip boots to wade through.

The dang rifle hops because ones technique is not correct. Once one figures out the how and the why one can make the rifle hop, or not, in all kinds of directions like a trained dog, regardless if one is right or left handed.

interesting topic and one technique related issue i can attest requires a little finessing. anyhoo i would simply like to add that although the videos are probably very helpful to those who can see them it would be appreciated if at least some minimal effort to type these incites out would benefit those here who dont have stellar conection speeds due to geographical constraints. just a thought and no disrespect intended.

LL and Jacob:

I just wanted to say thanks for the online training... truly, thank-you fellas.

To everybody else:

I've also been battling the bipod hop when shooting prone... and now, thanks to cyber-instruction from Lowlight and Jacob, it's much improved and getting better everyday.

Unlike some here, I'm not too proud to say it. <span style="font-weight: bold">I know it's my fault!</span>
grin.gif

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. just as the bullet wants to screw the rifle, the rifle screws the bullet back. The push and pull is a "Net nothing".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Morten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread made my head hurt.............</div></div>
What made you wake up a thread almost a year old?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Using science and math to advance equipment is different from using it to explain away problems with shooter error. </div></div>

ok i am real late to this. the math and science being used is what is commonly known as crap.

It jumps because there is no preloading force greater than the recoiling force, so the unbalanced force creates a moment and the muzzle therefore gos with this an jumps. How does torque create an upward force then pseudo schientists?

it jumps to the left/right because the restraining force is not aligned with the bore - ever heard of a vector?

All of which are a result of shooter not applying the fundamentals