• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend 22LR ammo?

Frapiscide

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
I haven't come across my rifle's favorite ammo yet and was curious what you guys would recommend.

So far, it shoots the CCI mini-mags the best at 100 yards. Other ammo tried is Remington Bulk HP and it hates that stuff: 2+ inches at 50 yards, Federal Game Shok, it was okay, shot a little worse than the mini-mags, and CCI Blazer, which is about on par with the Federal stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Recommend 22LR ammo?

CCI Mini mags for me... 50 yrds should be close to key hole shots.. How are you shooting? With a stand or just holding gun with no support?

My CZ likes Wolf MT pretty good.

It all comes down to what results you want and at what price. The best performance for the dollar so far on my rifle is the Eley Sport. It shoots quite well and is the cheapest of the ammo it liked. I also had good luck with both of the Wolfs, CCI Standard, the Winchester Silver Box HV Hollow points and numerous other match grade ammo.

My Savage Mk II BTV likes the various subsonic HP loads... Remington the best, CCI and Fiocchi also do well for me.

the last 5 ammo types i tried through 4 different rifles all liked SK standard plus best.

Its kinda creepy and weird but its the truth.

among the ammo was CCI, Eley match, SK match, SK standard plus, Wolf MT

im not sure if its just a fluke lot or not, its off a case from champion. I almost wanna buy some more (different lot obviously) to compare.

Federal auto match is a good bulk,can run to wallmart and pick up any time ammo, and Wolf MT both do well in all my .22's

CCI standard velocity works well in my 452. It runs about $7 for 100 rounds. I haven't found Wolf locally to try out. Auto-match shoots a bit better than the Wal-Mart federal bulk.

If you're shooting past 75 yards or so, you'll probably want to stick with sub sonic ammo. HV ammo goes transonic at around 75 yards.

I shoot a 50 yard rimfire match every Saturday. One of the rules of the match is that everyone has to shoot the same ammo. This was intended to level the playing field because some could afford to shoot $18 a box ammo and most could not. At the inception of the match, the above rule was conceived and then the hunt for a reasonably priced ammo that shot well in a broad range of rifles was begun. After trying a lot of different ammo, including Federal 711b (which seems to be popular), they settled on using Wolf Match Target. The ammo necessary to shoot the match is included in the match fee and is provided by the range.

The Wolf shoots pretty darned well out of my 40X bench rifle and my Kidded out 10/22. For plinking at shot shell hulls and golf balls I use CCI Standard Velocity. If you hunt around, you can find it in the paper boxes, rather than the plastic, for about $5.50 per 100.

I shot an F class rimfire match a few weeks ago and used the Wolf MT because it was all I had and still wound up coming in third.

I got a box of Federal Auto match today and seemed to shoot well at 50 yards. I dunno how it'll do past that, but it's shooting better then CCI mini-mags. I also have 200 rounds of CCI standard coming in. Base rifle is a Savage Mark II model F, if it helps for the ammo choices.
Until I get a job, I can't afford Wolf MT/SK Jagd with round counts being around 80+ rounds per range trip and visiting at least twice a week.

I shot some auto match at 100 the other day - extremely impressed for the money.

Otherwise Wolf MT is the best for my Savage Mk2.

Good luck

For lower priced ammo the Winchester 38gr Subsonic HP has done very well. Thinking about grabbing a case when I can find a good price on it.

It tears up the mongoose pretty well so Im guessing it will work on squirrels too.
smile.gif

I'm going to say the same thing I always say:

CCI Velocitor is the most accurate ammo I've ever run through any of my .22LR firearms. Better than Green Tag, better than Mini-Mags, or Stingers, or Ely Match, or Wolf MT - better than all of them.

The fact that it's a 40gr. hyper-velocity round is icing on the cake.

As of today it is the only .22LR ammo I will ever buy again, and I'm stocking up in case it goes away.

Wolf MT out of my Savage FV-SR with CCI Standard Velocity a close second.

Federal HV match works well in my 10/22 for the price point. Wolf match extra is by far the best--very few fliers as opposed to the more frequent fliers in the match target. I've still got to find the best flavors for the money, but Federal HV match is pretty reasonable to me

Wolf Match Target is always a good brand, but it is a little rich for my blood for an every day ammo. Although, if you put it into perspective. I guess $7 for 100 rounds isn't bad compared to, let's say, 45 ACp or 44 Magnum.
smile.gif

Wolf Match utilizes all Vihtavouri powder in their ammo, and it burns clean.

One more vote for Wolf MT. A buddy at the range handed me a box to try, as every first shot in heavy barrel 10/22 was a flyer. He also had me soften spring rate in mags and polish feed ramps a bit. Eliminated the flyer-had been using the bulk Federal Auto Match accumulated from WMart during the ammo shortage-and cut group size almost in half. 10 shots nickel/dime size at 50yds, if I'm doing my part. Have taken it to 250yds informally and if you can catch the wind sitting for a bit, impressive hits, but the holdover is huge. Pricey, yes, but worth it.

Interesting how this is playing out. Here's a picture of some groups today and some several weeks ago:
7179615378_a61267f47b_z.jpg

Targets on the left are older targets from 4/22 and targets on the right are form today (5/11). Left targets are 10 round groups and targets on the right are 5 round groups, excluding the middle groups.
It looks like the blazers and the mini-mags beat the CCI standards in ten shot groups. The middle right and top right groups on the bottom right target is more of what I'm expecting out of the ammo.