• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend a Burbon

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    Ok. Since I can't seem to find the earlier burbon thread I want you burbon snobs to recommend me a burbon to try given these parameters.
    I like how smooth Basil Hayden is but I really like the flavor of Four Roses & Bulleit. I'm looking for something spicy but very smooth. Preferably under $60.
    What say you?
    Thanks.

Ok. Since I can't seem to find the earlier burbon thread I want you burbon snobs to recommend me a burbon to try given these parameters.
    I like how smooth Basil Hayden is but I really like the flavor of Four Roses & Bulleit. I'm looking for something spicy but very smooth. Preferably under $60.
    What say you?
    Thanks.
    Everything you mentioned is high rye but slightly floral from their yeasts. For that rye spice I'd say anything Wild Turkey makes (excluding the 81).

Another option is go right into straight rye; Sazarac, Rittenhouse, High West, Old Forester Rye, Willet, Wild Turkey Rye. There are tons of others, but the ones I mentioned are not repackaged LDI/MGP 95/5 formula rye that makes up the vast majority of rye on the shelves.

What say you?
    Thanks.
    That kind of sounds like Larceny. Not a snob bourbon, but still good, and in your price range.

Reactions: BLEE
    Blantons is all you need!
    If you can find it. By far my favorite bourbon.

Apparently everyone else's favorite now too. I had a standing order in for a case (6 bottles) every 6 months at the Class 6 here at Randolph. Over a very short period of time starting ~ 2018-2019 that case turned into a single bottle, with the price going from $30 per bottle to well over $50, and now they don’t even bother trying.

I still get a bottle every now and then, but mostly stick to Eagle Rare for sippin’ and Buffalo Trace for mixin’

Col EH Taylor and Weller’s 12 are my other favorites, but even harder to find than Blanton’s lately.

Edit: Saw someone mention Basil Hayden…that’s an excellent bourbon for the price. What I usually steer folks towards or give as a gift to introduce folks to bourbon.

Edit #2: For rye, I stick to Whistle Pig… a bit pricey, but I don’t drink it much, and when I want a rye, I want a gooooooood rye. Bulleit rye is pretty good for mixed drinks too.

Last edited:
    Put Larceny in a Blanton's bottle.
    Your friends will be impressed.

BugIn

Everything you mentioned is high rye but slightly floral from their yeasts. For that rye spice I'd say anything Wild Turkey makes (excluding the 81).

Another option is go right into straight rye; Sazarac, Rittenhouse, High West, Old Forester Rye, Willet, Wild Turkey Rye. There are tons of others, but the ones I mentioned are not repackaged LDI/MGP 95/5 formula rye that makes up the vast majority of rye on the shelves.

I was gonna recommend Wild Turkey Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit.

I'm a fan of most things I've tried out of Buffalo Trace. A couple weekends ago I finally got to try Weller CYPB, Elmer T Lee 100th Anniversary, and William Larue Weller. All fantastic pours however the WLW is a bit on the hot side for me (130.2proof).

Reactions: Ison and 91Eunozs
    Well something would be wrong if I did not say Whistlepig, 10 year to be specific.
    Concur…the 12 is nice too

i-rzCNPrB.jpg

I have a lot of friends who are Bourbon drinkers. This one is universally loved.

Attachments

• 16262795957197728319467723516828.jpg
      16262795957197728319467723516828.jpg
      224.6 KB · Views: 101
    My default go to is Jim Beam. But I really enjoy Buffalo Trace and Makers Mark.

I'm a poor too. Evan Williams Single Barrel. Smooth straight up. For mixing, their regular Black Label beats, IMHO, just about everything else in it's price range. Your tastes may and will vary, No matter what, enjoy!

Cotton Hollow. Strong contender for a Whistle Pig replacement at nearly half the price.

Old Grandad 114
    Weller Special Reserve green label
    Stagg Jr

Weller SR is like unobtanium around Louisville KY…word in Bourbon country is definitely out.

Apparently everyone else's favorite now too. I had a standing order in for a case (6 bottles) every 6 months at the Class 6 here at Randolph. Over a very short period of time starting ~ 2018-2019 that case turned into a single bottle, with the price going from $30 per bottle to well over $50, and now they don’t even bother trying.

I still get a bottle every now and then, but mostly stick to Eagle Rare for sippin’ and Buffalo Trace for mixin’

Col EH Taylor and Weller’s 12 are my other favorites, but even harder to find than Blanton’s lately.

Edit: Saw someone mention Basil Hayden…that’s an excellent bourbon for the price. What I usually steer folks towards or give as a gift to introduce folks to bourbon.

Edit #2: For rye, I stick to Whistle Pig… a bit pricey, but I don’t drink it much, and when I want a rye, I want a gooooooood rye. Bulleit rye is pretty good for mixed drinks too.
    Thank John wick

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    George Remus is pretty darn good as well for the price. Wathens as well and both readily available, harder and harder to find Blanton And EH Taylor. I’m also liking Rabbit Hole the blue bottle a little heavier on the rye than a true wheat Ed but not punch you in the face rye

Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Grand dad 114, and Knob creek 101 (or 120)
    Enjoy alone or with others,,,,,if they don't like any of those ,,,,more for you!!

Hard to best these for the price and availability.

Mike

Reactions: Ison
    Has anyone recommended old crow, Kessler or the venerable military's choice? That will leave the op with plenty of extra cash

I’ve got a bottle of Breckinridge bourbon that’s pretty good

I've got a question. I don't drink. At all.
    Every time I go to a 101 reunion if it happens to be in Kentucky, we receive a bottle of Jack Daniels, with a 101 patch on the label.
    I have two bottles now, and never opened them. Does letting them sit 1. mellow or "age" them, or 2. hurt them in anyway? I'm almost positive these will get opened after I pass, so I want them to be able to drink it. Thanks.

Reactions: canman
    I've got a question. I don't drink. At all.
    Every time I go to a 101 reunion if it happens to be in Kentucky, we receive a bottle of Jack Daniels, with a 101 patch on the label.
    I have two bottles now, and never opened them. Does letting them sit 1. mellow or "age" them, or 2. hurt them in anyway? I'm almost positive these will get opened after I pass, so I want them to be able to drink it. Thanks.
    It doesn't age in the bottle only in wood. Provided stored up right in a cool dark place it will last indefinitely.
    Corks can rot, but if stored as advised usually last.

It doesn't age in the bottle only in wood. Provided stored up right in a cool dark place it will last indefinitely.
    Corks can rot, but if stored as advised usually last.
    This. Beat me to it…

Reactions: hankpac

Blantons is by far my favorite too. My go to shop told me most of it goes to Japan so they can mix it with Dr. Pepper. Not sure if he was being serious or just wanted to see me blow a gasket.

Thank you everyone. I'll look for some of the recommendations but I'm sure a lot won't be available in my AO. And some are going to be way over my budget. Some I've already tried. I liked the flavor of Angels Envy but it had a fair bite. Same with Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, & Makers Mark. Tasts great but a bite at the end. I really liked Four Roses but again don't like the bite at the end. Beam & Basil Hayden have the smooth finish I'm looking for but not the spice flavor.
    I really wish I could get airplane bottles to try more but my AO bans online liquor sales. I have to buy local.

Reactions: fanninland
    Man, if you think Maker's Mark or Buffalo Trace have a bite at the end, you may have a problem finding something.

Reactions: 91Eunozs and krw
    Thank you everyone. I'll look for some of the recommendations but I'm sure a lot won't be available in my AO. And some are going to be way over my budget. Some I've already tried. I liked the flavor of Angels Envy but it had a fair bite. Same with Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, & Makers Mark. Tasts great but a bite at the end. I really liked Four Roses but again don't like the bite at the end. Beam & Basil Hayden have the smooth finish I'm looking for but not the spice flavor.
    I really wish I could get airplane bottles to try more but my AO bans online liquor sales. I have to buy local.
    Think what you are calling "bite" is proof, all the ones you list as having bite are above 80, the ones listed as "smooth" are 80 proof.

The flavor isn't just age but in the proof, after a certain minimum age the proof becomes more important really.

That being said everyone isn't universally used to or able to tolerate high proof alcohol. Buy yourself a bottle of Evian and try diluting some of the reccomendations and things you've tried before and see how that changes things up for your palate. Go easy with it, it doesn't take much and you can always add more but you can't take it out. Good luck.

Its taken me about 10 years to enjoy the 'bite at the end', or the finish of a bourbon.

Basil Hayden is a nice bourbon because it is smooth. Weller SR is a nice bourbon because it is smooth. Michters is a nice bourbon because it is smooth. Once you graduate to 90+ proof, the finish is hotter.

With experience, you'll be able to handle a higher proof.

There's two ways to drink bourbon - neat and wrong - though I do put a *single* ice cube in anything cask strength cuz once you're at 115 proof or higher that shit is SPICY.

If you like some “spiciness” other than that gained from the alcohol content, try Smoke Wagon…out of Las Vegas, but don’t hold that against ‘em! LOL

Actually pretty tasty, and a bit cheaper than Basil Hayden as I recall.

i-mhBbwTZ.jpg

The proof thing may be it. I can handle 110 proof Makers Mark cask strength but as I've gotten older I prefer it smoother. I also drink it neat. If I need to add something to it then I'll just have a cocktail. I used to know an old man from Kentucky that made shine. His was fairly strong but was like drinking a warm glass of water. Awesome stuff. He's not here anymore so looking for something else. I've become fond of the spice flavors though hence my search for the "perfect" pour.