• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Recommend books

Look up Special Forces Berlin — unit history.

Same author. It’s the real thing as well. He spent almost 15 years in that unit.
His new book on the OSS comes out in Jan.

Sirhr
Downloaded the book from my local library. The author is James Stejskal but the reader is Campbell (audio book).

Now I can listen to something informative while reloading instead of listening to propaganda on TV and radio (except on weekdays when conservative talk shows rule the waves).

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Downloaded the book from my local library. The author is James Stejskal but the reader is Campbell (audio book).

Now I can listen to something informative while reloading instead of listening to propaganda on TV and radio (except on weekdays when conservative talk shows rule the waves).

If you want a break from the book... This is a good listen.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Last edited:
Have to re-recommend several from the list to date:

1) A Gentleman in Moscow
2) Crow Killer
3) Pillars of the Earth

also, beside SC Gwynne's Stonewall Jackson biography, really recommend his book on the history of the Comanche 'Empire of the Summer Moon'. It talked about how the Comanche stopped the Spanish from moving north out of Mexico and the Americans from moving west into Texas until after the Civil War. Lots of interesting details, focused in the end on the life of Quanah Parker (basis of the John Wayne movie 'The Searchers').

Reactions: Uhlan
Forgot to add the book version of 'True Grit' that the movies are based on.

For Westerns and 80's crime: anything by Elmore Leonard was great. He wrote the books that a number of feature westerns from the 60's, like 'Hombre' with Paul Newman, were based on as well as quirky modern crime movies like 'Get Shorty' and 'Be Cool'.

Robert Parker's Spenser novels were great.

John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee novels are great.

Some more SF history...all great reads.

20210311_232759.jpg

Left and right are evident. The middle is OSS Det 101.

OSS on left and non-revisionist 1812.
20210311_232831.jpg

Virginia Hall's history is a great book. Very meticulous field operator, some good trade craft lessons. Ended up marrying a Jed.

I started both the Det 101 and 1812 books as Audiobooks but liked them so much I had to add hard copies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
“Think Again” by Adam Grant.

Explores the roots of failure by digging in on a position instead of being open to and encouraging of constructive criticism.

great read.

"A Spy Among Friends"

This is about 'Kim Philby' and how he started off, then led the British Intelligence during WWII. All the while being a spy for Russia.

"A Spy Among Friends"

This is about 'Kim Philby' and how he started off, then led the British Intelligence during WWII. All the while being a spy for Russia.
he was also the liaison between MI5 and the CIA. He indirectly responsible for the death of dozens of expats who worked for the CIA and MI5 who were infiltrated into their home countries then under the control of USSR.

he was also the liaison between MI5 and the CIA. He indirectly responsible for the death of dozens of expats who worked for the CIA and MI5 who were infiltrated into their home countries then under the control of USSR.
I'm only beginning this book, thought the story itself isn't new to me. I've had it for some time, and have held off on reading it.

It's more of a "know thine enemy" type of thing. There ain't NOTHING about it I gots t' like. Nor admire. I'm sure you agree.

But that can't stop me from "knowing more..... and begin smarter". The question is, can I ever be smart enough?

I'm only beginning this book, thought the story itself isn't new to me. I've had it for some time, and have held off on reading it.

It's more of a "know thine enemy" type of thing. There ain't NOTHING about it I gots t' like. Nor admire. I'm sure you agree.

But that can't stop me from "knowing more..... and begin smarter". The question is, can I ever be smart enough?
Totally agree. Know your enemy. He is mentioned in the "Quiet Americans" which is history of the OSS and CIA during the 50' and early 60's. Great book. It mentions that Philby was a close friend of one of the top people in the CIA. The Brits could not believe that a upper class Cambridge boy could be a spy despite warnings from the US. Typical Brit hubris.

A Matter of Honour - Pearl Harbour: Betrayal, Blame and a Family's Quest for Justice by Anthony Summers & Robin Swan
- well written book and an easy summer's read which illuminates the background and likely conspiracy to deflect blame from leaders in Washington
- well received by recent military historians and amateur military historians.

American Revolutions - A Continental History, 1750 - 1894 by Alan Taylor, W. W. Norton and Company
- a detailed and sometimes gruelling read but is packed with an enormous amount of facts-based information and references;
- greatly alters the "Hollywood" version of the American "Patriots" which presents an idealistic revolution - which in reality is incorrect;
- the self-serving demands of one-third of the population to expand slavery, break Indian Treaties and land speculation are exposed; and
- the author is a twice awarded Pulitzer Prize winner and the book is extensively referenced to support a more correct historical record.

The fact that that book deals with the American revolution and has been awarded a Pulitzer should be a red flag. It is extensively footnoted, sure, but how many of those references are primary sources.
It also shows that the author has either never read the draft of the Declaration of Independence, or is lying.

Reactions: pilotjoe
Well 1st post here.. Hope I don't fubar it all up.

So Clancy stuff yep pretty much all of it is decent

Stephen Hunter stuff I actually like Earl Swaggers time line stuff much better than Bob Lee's

Andrew Peterson has a pretty neat fiction series "_____ to kill" as in Right to Kill, Contract to Kill, Time to Kill, etc. I would say its 75% BS but its a fun series to read.

Extreme Ownership
Iron John
Sovereignty
Wild at Heart
Murphy's Law
BushCraft 101
Norse Mythology
100 Deadly Skills
100 Deadly Skills: Survival Edition

Oh I say read. I do 95% of my reading listening on audio book. I do read some but 100% of what I do is thru Kindle.

The last physical book I actually read was American Sniper

Some other stuff

Ready Player One Book is so much better than the movie
The Hobbit Series
The Lord of the Ring Series
Bo's cafe ( decent shorter read )
The Call of the Wild

Also Stuff by
Robin Hobb (fantasy like Hobbit stuff)
David Dalglish (fantasy same)

Currently the latest thing I been listening to is actually
The Bible

Never sat and actually read the whole thing cover to cover, So I am "pushing" thru it.

Just finished the first three books in Jack Carr’s series that starts with The Terminal List. The were pretty good. A little dark sometimes, but good. Heads up, read them in order! Sometimes you can jump in on part 2 or 3, and be up to speed, but these are almost written as one book, and if you don’t start at the beginning, some things won’t make sense.

Just finished "The Phantom of Phu Bai" by Joseph B. Turner. Probably will read it many more times. Remarkable exploits of Warriors who sure have been there.

I read a good one recently called Ballad of the Whiskey Robber. Based on a true story about a guy that was a bad hockey player and kept robbing banks while he was a player. He'd have a bit of whiskey before each one and be really courteous to the workers at the bank, give the women a rose, etc. Should have been caught several times but kept eluding the police. Pretty funny and interesting.

Knocked out A Rifleman Went to War this weekend. Then I saw a documentary about the author and how he was busted down in rank a couple times and court marshaled out of the Canadian army for being a drunk. Disappointed. Anyway, Started reading Sgt Alvin York yesterday. I'm a few chapters in and his crazy Tennessee accent is tough to read.

My favorite , Dr seuss " Green eggs and ham " .
But they took that away because it's "racist" . Now I have nothing to read !

Any suggestions for something with lots of pictures ?

• Haha
Reactions: Buzzinga
As a former English teacher, Rainbow Six, was the best book I’ve ever read. I used to read 150 novels per year. 7 totally unrelated stories tied into one epic tale. Total confusion until the end. Don’t be fooled by the video games that came after. Without Remorse is also solid. Clancy could write.

As a former English teacher, Rainbow Six, was the best book I’ve ever read. I used to read 150 novels per year. 7 totally unrelated stories tied into one epic tale. Total confusion until the end. Don’t be fooled by the video games that came after. Without Remorse is also solid. Clancy could write.

Without Remorse was fantastic. Should read it before "Rainbow 6" I think. Good stuff for sure!

Reactions: Slab74
I really like Barry Eisler. His original series is based on a Japanese assassin named John Rain. Through the series he introduces other characters that stay in the series and some even get spin off series. More recently, he introduced a new character, Livia Lone and in that series she runs into a character from the Rain series. In the most recent book, they all come together in an uneasy partnership. They are all good reads in my opinion.

Has anyone read Jack Carr's newest, Devil's Hand? I may not be absolutely correct on this, was told by a friend..

I'm reading it right now. About 1/4 of the way throgh it. Not sure what you are correct or incorrect about, but so far it's pretty interesting.

Re: Jack Carr’s Devils Hand I finished it a couple days ago. It’s good, but it seems to set the next book up to be awesome. At this point Carr has joined Brad Taylor as my top 2. Thor and Flynn dropped a while back and then Dalton Fury passed.

Re: Jack Carr’s Devils Hand I finished it a couple days ago. It’s good, but it seems to set the next book up to be awesome. At this point Carr has joined Brad Taylor as my top 2. Thor and Flynn dropped a while back and then Dalton Fury passed.

I agree. Jack Carr is right up there! All those other authors you mention are pretty good too, but Carr is definitely top shelf. Really like his stuff.

The Second Amendment Primer
by Adams
"A citizen's guidebook to the history, sources, and authorities for the constitutional guarantee of the right to keep and bear arms."

Opening quote
"The great ideals of liberty and equality are preserved against the assaults of opportunism, the expediency of the passing hour, the erosion of small encroachments, the scorn and derision of those who have no patience with general principals, by enshrining them in constitutions, and consecrating to the task of their protection a body of defenders."
Justice Benjamin Cardozo
The Nature of the Judicial Process
(New Haven, 1921)

Finished Sgt Alvin York last night. It's a bit of a tough read as it's written in his east Tennessee drawl but but a great story nonetheless of a simple man with a great faith.

Finished Killers of the Flower Moon. It's about the Osage Indian murders. Hard to believe what humans will do to other humans for money. Good book. Good history of the early years of the FBI under Hoover.

Reactions: JLTX

I just finished it as well. You're right, it builds a boulivard to the next book, which I'm sure will be just as good as the first four. Can't wait!

Im readimg the new book from Carr now. It seems like there is a lot more info to digest before you get to the good stuff.

Yes, it takes a little effort to follow the various plot lines, but it all comes together as you go along. Enjoy!

They Touched Our Heroes For The Last Time
Repatriation of Fallen POW’s and Other Tales

True Stories of Life and Death by : Major John E. ‘Jack’ O’Connor USAF ( retired)

I was gifted this book who is a personal friend of Major O’Connor. A really good read from somewhere that has actually been there and done that many times and lived to tell about it.
For any Vietnam era Air Dinks or anyone that has been in the shit , might be a good one to pick up.

Mine is really special ! On prompting by my friend he signed it :

To Steve ,
“ A Survivor of the Battle of Olongapo City “
Best wishes ,
Jack O’Connor

Attachments

• A99B1E5A-0F1D-4AC1-9120-679E74F0DE8E.jpeg
    A99B1E5A-0F1D-4AC1-9120-679E74F0DE8E.jpeg
    515.8 KB · Views: 107
Just finished Jack Carr’s latest book. Took me a while to finish it, kept getting side tracked by stuff, work, life, etc....Didn’t like it as much as the first three, but that is ok. I like shooter stuff more, and this was more political and religion. You still need to read it because it sets up the next book.

Just finished Medal of Honor, the Roy Benavidez story. Good read. Terrible that the Social Security Admin tried to screw Roy and other veterans out of their benefits.

ARTEMIS...by the author of THE MARTIAN..about a mafia type group, mrrder etc on a colony on the moon (named Artemis)...if U like Hokey SciFi..
Disagree. "The Martian" was great, and the latest one (by the same author) "Hail Mary" is even better BUT if you listen closely to Artemis there is a whole lot of Wokeness going on in it...

I don't know who-all here reads ALL of the Tom Clancy (Jack Ryan) series of books. I have been since the start. And I've enjoyed them very much. And no, I'm not talking about "Op-Center" or any of that stuff.

But this latest book, called "Enemy Contact" by Mike Maden, so far is the absolute worst book in the series. And here's why:
Not just one, but 'some' of the characters in the book are gay/homosexual. And of course,,, it has to be written about/described in the book.

This kind of crap (no pun intended) is NOT what I have enjoyed the Tom Clancy book for, or about.

I'm just sayin'....

:(
Agree. It's amazing what people will write now, even in established series. Honestly I think it's the publishers that are approving the "Woke" books over the "Not Woke" or neutral books, and the writers are selling out.

• Angry
Three books come to mind when asked:
Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Uncle John's Bathroom Reader

Heinlein was on the recommended reading list at the NCOA

Both of the first two were turned into fairly meh movies.
I haven't "read" Starship Troopers but I listen to it on Audiobook about twice a year. The movie completely bypassed Heinlein's moral of the story.

Mike

I just finished Clancy's Without Remorse. Darn good book and the first Clancy book I'd read in quite a few years. Question for all of you discerning Hiders: is Rainbow Six just as good and worth picking up?

Just finished The Wright Brothers, by David Mccullough. One of the best books of all time for me. It’s excellent on audio, narrated by Mccullough himself. There are so many things about their lives and pursuit of flight that you’ve never heard before, that will inspire the full range of emotions in you. They never graduated high school, but their command of the English language is superior to any modern PhD English major hands-down. They had to learn all the applied physics and solve problems related to manned and powered flight that all the modern thinkers of their day with pedigrees were simply wrong about. Their ability to problem-solve was unparalleled.

iu

I just finished Clancy's Without Remorse. Darn good book and the first Clancy book I'd read in quite a few years. Question for all of you discerning Hiders: is Rainbow Six just as good and worth picking up?

I've been pondering that same question. Without Remorse is excellent. I'd love to get a heads-up on Rainbow Six.

Any of the Jack Carr books with James Reece as the main character.