• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Recommend books

Forgotten
Forbidden
America
By Thomas A Watson is not a bad fictional action series.

The Grey Man
By J L Curtis is a modern day Western.

The Red series of books
By William C Dietz

These are older but I enjoyed both of these Vietnam War books.

Charlie Mike

The Five Fingers Is it Fact or Fiction based on Gayle Rivers first-hand account of events?
I've read it 3 times, always enjoyed it. It sits about two steps away on the shelve.
Gayle Rivers... is fascinating. When you look at all of the books he wrote... They are all cutting edge with "issues" that will pop up several years after he has introduced the subject... Like PATCON etc. Many things about his stories in the late 70's and 80's were cutting edge now in hindsight and he intentionally sabotages story credibility with glaring "errors". Someone once told me that Redford's character in "Spy Games" was a homage to Gayle Rivers and an insult...between friends.... Redford driving a limey racing green 911 at the end would have never happened because he was verbal in his disdain for anyone driving anything from Porsche that wasn't white or silver.

Lynne Black's "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" is another must read Vietnam War biography. I wish he would write part 2.

Just finished Clancy's Rainbow Six. Sorry to say it was not as good as Without Remorse IMO. It needed a proofreader for starters to eliminate the typos; those really bug me. It was also a good 150 pages too long as Clancy liked to repeat himself too much. I very much liked John Kelly in Without Remorse, a strong dedicated warrior. I actually enjoyed the scene where he tortured Billy, the drug-runner, in the decompression chamber, from a medical viewpoint (I'm a retired RN). He was the same as John Clark in Rainbow Six. Now, I freely admit I'm not the most macho guy in the world. I just like to go the the range to shoot, talk to a few guys I know there, compete in some of the range competitions there. Never in the military, actually got turned down for medical reasons. Therefore, Idk how much of Clancy's manly images were real or hyped up (let the flaming begin). I'm just curious from a civilian POV.:unsure:

Alas, this story seemed just a bit too far-fetched for me.

Reactions: Nomad0001
It was also a good 150 pages too long as Clancy liked to repeat himself too much. ....

This is the main reason I have quit reading most of Clancy's stuff. The books are just too danged long and spend too much time on minutia. The story could be told, very well, in about half the pages, which would make the reading easier and more enjoyable. If I want a bunch of technical details, I'll read a technical manual. I want an entertaining and engaging story. Obviously many disagree with me, as Clancy seems to continue to sell books at a good rate. He just doesn't sell them to me!

Anything from Kurt Schlicter, but this one's the best.

Attachments

• 35262480._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg
    35262480._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 199
I very much enjoyed Vince Flynn‘s Mitch Rapp series. I thought that Brad Thor’s were good but not quite at the same level as Flynn’s. I just finished reading a book titled One Second After. This book may cause some to lose sleep at night. It is about what would happen to the United States after an EMP. However, I have no idea if the book is even factual. If anyone is into WWII aviation the book Stuka Pilot is very interesting as it is written by a German that served in the war.

I'll second Lawrence Block.

More...

John leCarre is an oldie but goody IMO.

John Hart who had a big debut success with "King of Lies" has a good style. I enjoyed the book even though it was more of a Why Done It than a whodunit.

Martin Cruz Smith always has a strong character-driven mystery plot.

Let's see if one of my favorite authors has a sense of humor

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210713-195045_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20210713-195045_Brave.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 203
Anybody have good books about Rhodesia or the fall of Yugoslavia? They have become my fascinations the last couple years.

I very much enjoyed Vince Flynn‘s Mitch Rapp series. I thought that Brad Thor’s were good but not quite at the same level as Flynn’s. I just finished reading a book titled One Second After. This book may cause some to lose sleep at night. It is about what would happen to the United States after an EMP. However, I have no idea if the book is even factual. If anyone is into WWII aviation the book Stuka Pilot is very interesting as it is written by a German that served in the war.
One Second After was fkn terrifying. It did give my wife nightmares

Reactions: Lthrt
Agreed. I read it shortly after it's release ten plus years ago. Reagan had raised a red flag years before regarding the effect of EMPs and had tried to implement countermeasures. The current state of affairs makes things notably worse. Everything has chips including your refrigerator, LRF and and Kestrel. I was also aware of the fact that there are natural sources for EMPs that could leave much greater area effected than nuclear. We have already seen the effects of simple bugs introduced into computer systems. We can't even deal with that.

The beginning addresses the threat. The body of the book addresses the results. It makes a case that human beings are capable of anything which makes a great read but is not necessarily a reflection of the what would happen. On the other hand the threat itself is absolutely real. The introduction of effective cyber attacks makes the vulnerabilities much easier to expose.

Agreed. I read it shortly after it's release ten plus years ago. Reagan had raised a red flag years before regarding the effect of EMPs and had tried to implement countermeasures. The current state of affairs makes things notably worse. Everything has chips including your refrigerator, LRF and and Kestrel. I was also aware of the fact that there are natural sources for EMPs that could leave much greater area effected than nuclear. We have already seen the effects of simple bugs introduced into computer systems. We can't even deal with that.

The beginning addresses the threat. The body of the book addresses the results. It makes a case that human beings are capable of anything which makes a great read but is not necessarily a reflection of the what would happen. On the other hand the threat itself is absolutely real. The introduction of effective cyber attacks makes the vulnerabilities much easier to expose.
A. American Survivalist series is all about an EMP scenario, which may or may not have been released by our own government after/during a coronal mass ejection... which in the book is akin to the current administration. Books were actually written during the Obama administration.

If nothing else, read books 1-3. It's actually pretty reasonable from a potential human behavior standpoint of how bad things would be, and how quick it would get there.

Reactions: TxWelder35
I just finished the first book in the Orphan X series by Andrew Hurwitz. It was pretty entertaining and worth a read. I'm good enough that I'm going to keep going with the series, at least for now.

I made the mistake of picking it up just before going to Vegas with my middle son and the wheelchair rugby team he plays with, here I am thinking about what I could do in that type of situation with a group of quadriplegics. :LOL:

Reactions: wvfarrier
Devils hand by Jack Carr The Chemistry of Powder and Explosives by Tenney L. Davis the US Army Improvised Munitions Handbook.

These are older but I enjoyed both of these Vietnam War books.

Charlie Mike

The Five Fingers Is it Fact or Fiction based on Gayle Rivers first-hand account of events?
I've read it 3 times, always enjoyed it. It sits about two steps away on the shelve.
I think I'll read "Charley Mike". There is a review by a guy that served under an infantry officer who he identifies as the writer of the book. I was in the 173rds AO for an extended period of time that encompasses the NCO's time.

There were both the famous and infamous. It will be interesting to see who the "characters" were.

Reactions: jpickens
I'm not a big Neal Stephenson fan, but I did find Seveneves and The Rise and Fall of DODO interesting enough to hold my attention enough to finish them. The first was more philosophical; the second was a bit more sci-fi, sarcastic, and funny as hell.

For some years, I've wanted to try Neal Asher's books as I'm mostly a sci-fi geek. Just started The Departure today. We'll see how it goes.

Recently listened to, "Ready Player 2"

not to bad kept me entertained on my rides for work.

Now I am into "The Second Amendment Primer"

Barely 2 chapters in so far but it seems a good educational read so far.

This was previously mentioned:

I haven’t read this book and never did because I recognized it as BS when it came out. I did go over this wiki article about it and my mind was not changed. Most of the author’s wild speculation has been proven to be just that in the interim. Don’t waste your time.

Same kind of BS as this one:

Last edited:
Just read this. It was interesting.

Reactions: pilotjoe
Just ordered: The President and the Freedom Fighter: Abraham Lincoln, Frederick Douglass, and Their Battle to Save America's Soul

51PhX9JA9iL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The First Wave by Alex Kershaw is a great read about D-day. Tells the stories of each beach and paratrooper landings in great depth.

"The Pride and Fall" by Correlli Barnett. "The dream and illusion of Britain as a great nation".

Great history of how Britain during and after WWII decided to become a welfare state (New Jerusalem) and forego making a priority in building its industry, infrastructure and education to world-leading, modern, technical standards. A lesson that we in the USA should heed.

Any and all books by the late former Delta Force Commander Thomas Greer who wrote under the pseudonym Dalton Fury. Also, Brad Taylor's books and "Delta Force" the memoirs of Colonel Charles A. Beckwith to name just a few I'm fond of.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotjoe
Brothers of War
The Iron Brigade at Gettysburg
Micheal Eisenhut
Historical novel based on the 19th Indiana
This is truly a great book. No happy endings just like the real thing but very compelling.

First Casualty: The Untold Story of the CIA Mission to Avenge 9/11​

I am about halfway through this very detailed, I have read Jawbreaker and First In, this makes sense and brings it altogether.

You want to get “redpilled”, read this book.

convenient link, buy it wherever you want.

Wanat: Combat Action in Afghanistan, 2008
The Staff of the US Army, Combat Studies Institute

"On 13 July 2008, nine American Soldiers perished while fighting a pitched battle in the village of Wanat in Afghanistan’s Waygal Valley. On that day, the men of Company C, 2d Battalion, 503d Parachute Infantry Regiment, endured four hours of intense close quarters combat and mounting casualties. The contingent of 49 United States and 24 Afghan National Army Soldiers valiantly defended their small outpost against a coordinated attack by a determined insurgent force armed with rocket propelled grenades and automatic weapons. Despite the initial advantage of tactical surprise and numerical superiority, it was the insurgents who ultimately broke contact and withdrew from Combat Outpost Kahler.

Army historians recognized the need to better understand the Battle of Wanat and ensure those who followed learned from the experiences of the courageous Soldiers who defended their outpost with such tenacity. As initial reports from the battle were received, the Combat Studies Institute at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas began to prepare a historical analysis of the circumstances of the Battle of Wanat, launching an exhaustive research effort that produced a comprehensive and compelling example of contemporary history.

This study offers an objective narrative of the events surrounding the Battle of Wanat. It does not seek to draw final conclusions or to second guess decisions made before or during the heat of battle. Rather, it is an implement of learning, allowing the reader to see the events of that day through the eyes of the leaders and Soldiers of Task Force Rock. It is meant to provide context to the chaos and complexity of modern conflict, and to help the reader better understand and appreciate the nature of operations in an era of persistent conflict. Finally, this study serves to honor and preserve the memories of the nine brave men who gave their lives at Combat Outpost Kahler."

This is their story.

Free to download. Read. Remember. Learn.

Attachments

• Wanat.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 104
Just finished Clancy's Rainbow Six. Sorry to say it was not as good as Without Remorse IMO. It needed a proofreader for starters to eliminate the typos; those really bug me. It was also a good 150 pages too long as Clancy liked to repeat himself too much. I very much liked John Kelly in Without Remorse, a strong dedicated warrior. I actually enjoyed the scene where he tortured Billy, the drug-runner, in the decompression chamber, from a medical viewpoint (I'm a retired RN). He was the same as John Clark in Rainbow Six. Now, I freely admit I'm not the most macho guy in the world. I just like to go the the range to shoot, talk to a few guys I know there, compete in some of the range competitions there. Never in the military, actually got turned down for medical reasons. Therefore, Idk how much of Clancy's manly images were real or hyped up (let the flaming begin). I'm just curious from a civilian POV.:unsure:

Alas, this story seemed just a bit too far-fetched for me.
Without Remorse is, without a doubt, the best of that series.

"The Old Man and the Boy" - Robert Ruark

I have an old hard back copy my Grandmother picked up from a library "used book sale". It's a collection of short stories, excellent read, and brings back memories of childhood being outdoors with Grandpa.