• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendation for concentricity gauge

Bob 964

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Concentricity gauge is next on the list of acquisitions. I have read about several different models: Hornady, 21rst Century, Bersin, and H&H among others. Which concentricity gauge do you recommend and why?

Re: Recommendation for concentricity gauge

i remmeber someone brought this up , the thread was pretty good , did you try the google search on the right side of the screen ?

I use a Sinclair, I trust what it reads, I bought a Hornady and never trusted it, I could never get any repeatability out of it, so I sold it. Today if I was buying one it would be the 21st CSS, it's as simple an easy to use as the Sinclair but the indicator is what sets it apart, I have a NECO CAT that I use to straighten those few rounds that need to be tweaked, I would like to add Bersin but right now funds are tight for shooting because I'm getting a Gen2 Prometheus soon.

I bought a hornady and returned it

I'd like to be able to nudge the bullet to 0 runout. Doesn't look like the Sinclair permits you to do that. Am I wrong? If not, has anyone used the Bersin or H&H gauges?

I use a Hornady and im very happy with it

spin'em up quick and get on my way

I get inside .001 and call it good as it takes to long to try and get a .000

im not anal about it and my rounds fly just fine

I have a Sinclair and I bought a NECO because I wanted to measure case wall thickness. I pretty much never use the NECO now. The Sinclair is the way to go IMO.

I also use the Hornady. The ability to tweak the out of spec rounds and make them come into spec makes the difference to me. I have no complaints and have used it on 7 cartridges from 223 Rem through 338 Lapua.

One of my many great loading books told me that in a half moa rifle, we would never see the results of run out less than .004". My handloads have never measured more than .003" on the hornady. My factory match averages .003 - .005" run out.
Food for thought.

Had the Bersin device and sold it
I was convinced rightly or not that it would change neck tension

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Sinclair, I trust what it reads, I bought a Hornady and never trusted it, I could never get any repeatability out of it, so I sold it. Today if I was buying one it would be the 21st CSS, it's as simple an easy to use as the Sinclair but the indicator is what sets it apart, I have a NECO CAT that I use to straighten those few rounds that need to be tweaked, I would like to add Bersin but right now funds are tight for shooting because I'm getting a Gen2 Prometheus soon. </div></div>

I am always amazed when I read a report like this since I have used both the Sinclair and the Hornady and my experience has been exactly the opposite i.e. I could never get a reproducible reading with the Sinclair but always with the Hornady. Just in case you think I am a newbie to tools, I have 30 years of research experience under my belt.

This is not to slam on Sinclair as I have many of their tools and most are top notch. NECO I also have but it is different than both the Sinclair and Hornady as it can do things that they both cannot do.

Sinclair very easy to use and works great for me.

I have a Holland. Simple, but accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Sinclair, I trust what it reads, I bought a Hornady and never trusted it, I could never get any repeatability out of it, so I sold it. Today if I was buying one it would be the 21st CSS, it's as simple an easy to use as the Sinclair but the indicator is what sets it apart, I have a NECO CAT that I use to straighten those few rounds that need to be tweaked, I would like to add Bersin but right now funds are tight for shooting because I'm getting a Gen2 Prometheus soon. </div></div>

I am always amazed when I read a report like this since I have used both the Sinclair and the Hornady and my experience has been exactly the opposite i.e. I could never get a reproducible reading with the Sinclair but always with the Hornady. Just in case you think I am a newbie to tools, I have 30 years of research experience under my belt.

This is not to slam on Sinclair as I have many of their tools and most are top notch. NECO I also have but it is different than both the Sinclair and Hornady as it can do things that they both cannot do. </div></div>

It shouldn't be a thing of amazement, just your experience and mine, maybe you got a Lemmon and maybe I did, this is an open forum where we all can and do learn from each other, your experience and opinions are no better or worse than mine. IMHO a Concentricity Gauge is a tool that identifys errors in technique, I discovered that I was inducing run out during my sizing operation, I used the Sinclair tool to help me fix it, thru trial n error I discovered that the way I was operating the press induced the run out.

How were you inducing runout through press operation, if you don't mind me asking? I am always looking to learn something new.

You have a co-ax, don't you?

The Sinclair gauge has considerable support among members of this forum. Looking at it, it appears to be well-built and functional, and I can understand why it has such appeal.

I hadn't considered the potential effect of nudging the bullet toward 0 runout on neck tension. I agree with those of you who view the use of a concentricity gauge as a means of quality control, and as a way to pinpoint where in your reloading process you are creating runout. I don't want to create a new problem trying to remediate another one.

So... I think I will go with the Sinclair gauge and focus on refining my reloading process in ways that will reduce runout. Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with me.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How were you inducing runout through press operation, if you don't mind me asking? I am always looking to learn something new.

You have a co-ax, don't you? </div></div>

I was slamming it home like a 2 peso whore

I figured out that I needed to place my bullets straighter on the case before seating... that helped runout tremendously. I wouldn't have found that out without checking runout induced by all parts of the process... once I identified seating as the issue, I went from there.

Concentricity gauges are an absolute necessity.

I will try sizing slower to see if that makes a difference. I am pretty slow as it is. I usually let the case sit in the sizing die for a couple of seconds before tanking it out.

I was doing the same thing --- I have really tried to slow down the sizing and seating parts of my reloading process.

I have the Sinclair.

The few things I don't like about it are...

The probe coming out of the gauge doesn't sit directly above the bullet or case(depends on case size,neck diameter and case taper) and I'd like to have a feature like on the Hornady tool to straiten runout.

I thought about buying the Hornady tool but was worried about tolerances in the system.

What's the best of the best?

The 21st CSS is probably the best. I have the sinclair and the hornady. They both have their pros and cons. I think the bullet nudge feature doesn't work worth a damn.

Just wanted to give this thread a bump as I'm going to purchase a concentricity gauge this next week. The capability of being able to straighten out a round to zero runout sounds nice but I'm not sure i buy it.

I'm looking at getting a dual purpose Cabin Tree lead hardness tester/concentricity gauge. My only concern is that the v block isn't as precise as the rollers.

What do you guys think of this one:

CabineTree LLC** Lead Testers

Last edited:
While I use one I made, I have used a Bersin several times. If I were looking for a top line concentricity guage, Bersin is what I would buy.