• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommended equipment for 200yds and under

dill84

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2005
I have access to a 200yd range and was wondering what most of you think is absolutely necessary equipment to have for that distance ie. Kestrel, chrono, data book, ballistic callculator. I don't reload yet and haven't even picked a standard round for my rifle but, don't really want to waste money buying something that won't have much effect on my shooting at 200 and under. Rifle is a 700vs with leupold mark 4 w/ tmr reticle and harris bipod FWIW.
Thanks

Re: Recommended equipment for 200yds and under

A Kestrel and ballistic calculator are definitely not necessary at 200 yards. I shoot at 200 yards all the time and have never made any sort of ballistic calculation or measurement.

Databook would be good, no matter what you can record your groupings, and drop between 100 and 200 yards. Nothing like trying to remember ammo info six months later.

A chronograph is a worth while investment, I would recommend against a Chrony Chronie though, I really like my CED M2, its easy to set up, easy to retrieve the data from so I can note in my logbook.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A chronograph is a worth while investment </div></div>

I respectfully disagree with you Cobra.

I don't feel that a chronograph is really necessary if he is just going to be shooting factory ammunition at short range (200 and under).

I do agree with you about the data book though. It is always good to record your shooting information and learn from it.

dill, if (hopefully when) you decide to take up hand loading, then is when you should invest in a chronograph. However, I don't feel it is necessary for you at this time.

But with accurate chrono data he can stretch his legs out with a much better degree of accuracy.

True. However, dill was only asking for what was "absolutely necessary" for 200 yards and a chronograph (although helpful) is not absolutely necessary.

A Decent spotting scope will also be nice, save you some trips back and forth.

Yeah I am basically confined to a 200yd range. Where I am in NY its kind of limited for long range shooting without a great deal of travel time. I am going to try to take a few courses but, the closet is an LE course and that is limited to 200 as well. I want to be able to stretch the legs a bit eventually but, on a common occurrence it won't happen where I am.

For basics I'd say a couple different size sandbags and a book to keep track of your scope settings. The Shoot-N-C targets are also a great idea until you get a spotting scope. You really don't need much to get started at that distance. As you progress and start reloading a chronograph could be a valuable piece of equipment then you could use JBM and get accurate trajectory charts to start getting more serious about making first round hits. A windmeter isn't that expensive either and can be helpful. Spending quality practice time at the range and keeping track of what is working and what isn't will be more beneficial than having all the toys and not being able to use any of them to improve a lack of basic skills.

As you spend more time shooting you'll meet others or learn what equipment you'll need as you go. Spend those extra funds on ammo and range time instead of having cool stuff at first. Since you are limited to 200 yards and if you have a 22lr I'd take that with you. It would be great practice for learning wind calls and making elevation changes. They are plenty accurate to 200 yards and lots of shooters use them for their long range practice sessions.

Topstrap

You are going to want a spotter, the cheapies are more
frustration than they are worth.

If you are a bit crimped on funds (as I am.) get one of these:

http://predatoroptics.info/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=1185759&pid=1030248

They area value way out of proportion to the price.

And yea you still need a bi-pod, but any camera type tripod will do and you might find one used or on clearance. (or ask Pat to recommend one and if he will sell it as a package deal)

Tell pat I referred you.

Sand bags or some sort of rest, I often use my handy dandy "Midway" range bag. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939259680/midwayusa-competition-range-bag

I was the first at my club to get one of these and now almost everyone has bought one. They are forever on sale and act as a loss leader for Midway. Their shooting mat is also a really good deal, but if yo can wait for thanksgiving week they usually give a killer sale on these.

The money for a spotter - for that range would be better spent on upgrading the rifle scope / use the scope for spotting

trigger
good bipod
? super cheap wind meter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The money for a spotter - for that range would be better spent on upgrading the rifle scope / use the scope for spotting

trigger
good bipod
? super cheap wind meter </div></div>

+1 I completely agree with this. If you take the money you would spend on a spotter and use it to upgrade your scope, you could easily spot your shots with your rifle scope. especially 200 and under.

I shouldn't have a problem spotting hits at 200 with the Leupy and shoot-n-c targets. I will grab an impact book with pages for B-27 targets, which I have about a million of, and some printable target they have. I don't want to get a cheap wind meter because I would rather buy a Kestrel when I am ready. The next step is a Timney. Wouldn't a group buy be nice?