• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recovery from Cervical fusion.

desertrat1979

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2006
Southern NV
This was going to be a follow-up on a thread I posted just over a year ago (Chiropractors), but I guess that thread was included in the downsizing, so its gone. Background on the issue: Constant neck and shoulder pain for 4 years. Considered using a chiropractor, but went and consulted my doctor first, smart move too. MRI revealed 2 herniated disks between C5-C7. So, long story short, after exhausting all non-surgical options, went and had a level 2 fusion done. Doc says no therapy or brace is needed, but I want to get back to doing PT, something I have not been able to do of. Just wondering if any of you folks have had a similar experience, and what did you do that helped speed up your recovery. I am figuring that all the pain I am feeling will pass after the first week, and its all downhill from here. Anything you guys can pass on is greatly appreciated.

I too had a cervical fusion at the same level. However, my discs were so herniated that they pressing into my spinal cord. I had no pain and the only reason I went to the Neurologist was my leg would shake violently in the morning when I stretched.

I had surgery that lasted about two hours, they removed the discs and put cadaver bones in place of the disc and installed a titanium plate and screws. After recovery, they had me walk back to my room. I was discharged the next morning.

The most pain I had was in my upper back and I had zero pain from the actual incision site, which I felt was odd. The doctor said the pain in the upper back was probably caused by the replacement bones in my neck which probably made me 1mm taller thus causing the ligaments to be stretched and strained.

I had a fast recovery and really didn't take anything for pain. I would say within 10 ten days I was able to do most things I had before.

I hope your recovery goes well.

Kind regards,
Jared

I wish that my recovery goes that well. So far, been a fair amount of pain. I didn't get cadaver bone. He used a plastic shim, shaved bone around the nerves and used the bone dust to pack and fuse the vertebrae, plus the titanium plate. The pain reminds me of the pain mending bones tend to have. Also, for some reason, at night I get a lot of aches and a low grade fever. I hear thats common after a lot of surgeries. The worst of it is my throat. Between the breathing tube and the surgeon having to work around it, eating is difficult and even drinking is painful. You know, I had my appendix removed like 11 years ago, had the same issue with the breathing tube. You'd think this day and age they would have come up with a solution to that. But, an endless supply of freezer pops and cough drops helps with that.

I can't believe the Doctor would say no Physical Therapy is needed post-op Cervical spinal surgery. I would consult with a Physiatrist.

Once the plate is in place, nothing is going to move, so that is good. the bone packed in between the vertebrae acts as a place for the body to start growing new bone causing the actual fusion.
If you are faithful in wearing the collar (if they give you one) you will have a better outcome. Once that is done with, you can start gradually introducing activity. As to changes in life style, I can shoot, but no longer cut or split wood. Just too much jarring through the neck. doesn't hurt, I just don't like it.
Other than that, you will get back to 100% before you know it. You can work out, be active all you want. As suggested above, talk to a physiatrist. good luck, I am 15 years post op 2 level fusion, and doing great.

Well thats good news. No, I was not given a brace either. I was considering getting a soft-collar because I have a habit of looking down. It just doesn't feel right keeping my head straight and I dont want to have any issues. Gonna cut back on the pain killers tomorrow and let nature take its course. Tried that too soon, pain was too much.

Mine's all in the lower back, I forgot how many F'ed up discs I have down there now, and to what degree. It does suck, bad, and in the lower back it can be extremely painful. I'm currently waiting for a new type of surgery though that repairs the discs. Mine is degenerative and so by the time one set of fused vertebrae heal, I'd be ready for the next set. So for me, its just drugs. For the time being.

My wife's mother, she had this done very recently and she's already healed. I was surprised, but then again it's cervical and not degenerative. Cervical carries more chance of injury if the original injury goes unheeded or isn't repaired though.

Considering what goes through those discs, I'd be damn careful about taking any advice on working out from anyone other than a doctor first. That's just me though. You screw that surgery up and you could wind up dead, paralyzed or worse.

I know it sucks not being able to work out or run. I'm in that boat with you. But with all my pain, I wouldn't trade my lower back issues for your neck issues AND $100million.

Oh yeah, good you mention pain killers. Be careful, they can hide significant pain if you are working out and getting a natural rush too. Later on, when swelling sets in, it'll be 1000 times worse. Don't overdo it, and just know the pain killers can make you easily want to do so, particularly if you enjoy what you are doing and the pain killers are allowing that. Good luck!

Desertrat, it is not at all uncommon for the surgeon to not order PT following cervical fusion. Locally, only a small percentage are sent for post-op therapy and of those that I see, it is for post-op muscular tightness, spasm, pain, etc. following the MD follow-up (usually at 4 weeks). I would certainly ask for the surgeons direction for resuming any heavy lifting or workout questions. The surgeons tend to have individual preferences as to when they will allow resuming those activities. Your eating and swallow should improve as the swelling and localized inflammation resolve. I am an outpatient Ortho PT and see a good amount of post op spine patients. Good luck, and don't rush it!

Mike

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the responses. I try to limit the use of pain killers. The tend to not agree with my stomach at times. I do feel like I can do back flips when they are working, but that just helps me get a few hours of sleep.

Worst part for me was the "strep throat" soreness for the first week and the uncomfortable brace for two weeks. You DO NOT need PT and you could sustain a pretty good hit in a vehicle and your neck would still be stable. I know, I work with the surgeon!!

You guys suck. Had a c7-t1 done in the middle of may, doc still has me in my collar. Definitely feels like it's still trying to heal, xray didn't show it growing together yet at 6 week F/U. I can ride my motorbike a little bit, still can't turn my head much even out of the collar. Started doing my own PT, pretty much football neck strengthening and range of motion.

I'm glad I found this thread. I have had 2 cervical surgeries. First one to fuse C3-C7. Then the disc between C7-T1 failed and had to have a second surgery to fuse T1. It has been a tough few years and I'm still struggling. Shooting prone is really tough. I'm still experimenting with a bag under my chest so I don't have to bend my neck as much. Shooting from the bench is pretty good but I can't seem to find the solution to build my firing position. Sorry for those who are suffering but I'm glad to find that others are still firing away.