• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Recutting a barrel for a different action

aviumvenator

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
South of Red Lake
I have a REM 260 barrel and barrel nut on a Remington action. I picked up a qc Zeus and want to get a 260 barrel for it. Rather than buy new I thought about having the current barrel recut for the Zeus action since it only has 200 rounds on it. Is this possible? Is this something worth considering or should I just order a new barrel?

Thanks...

The machine work, if possible, could cost more in the end. Sell the barrel if trying to save money. The threads match, but I dont think it will just swap out.

Last edited:
You could thread it in and glue the nut permanently but you have one major issue.
I believe the Zeus is a flat faced tenon like a savage and you’re 700 barrel will have a bolt nose relief cut.
It could be possibly faced and then work depending on stickout and relief depth.
That’s a pretty simple cut.

You could thread it in and glue the nut permanently but you have one major issue.
I believe the Zeus is a flat faced tenon like a savage and you’re 700 barrel will have a bolt nose relief cut.
It could be possibly faced and then work depending on stickout and relief depth.
That’s a pretty simple cut.

Edit
I'm wrong, Zeus is 16tpi.....I thought it was 20tpi like a bighorn or savage small shank...

Last edited:
I dont think that's gonna work...isn't a ReMage 16tpi and Zeus 20tpi threads?

Edit
I'm wrong, Zeus is 16tpi.....I thought it was 20tpi like a bighorn or savage small shank...
Yea
16UN
I’m pretty sure the bolt nose cut is about .150 and that’s an acceptable case head stick out on a flat faced tenon.
So just cutting it back flat may work.

Kinda interesting they run 700 threads but a flat face tenon.

Reactions: Dragoon300
Yea
16UN
I’m pretty sure the bolt nose cut is about .150 and that’s an acceptable case head stick out on a flat faced tenon.
So just cutting it back flat may work.

It may. If he has a friend or Smith willing to mod it on the cheap it may be worth it...

But if paying a few Benjamin's to do this, probably better just getting a new barrel cut...

It may. If he has a friend or Smith willing to mod it on the cheap it may be worth it...

But if paying a few Benjamin's to do this, probably better just getting a new barrel cut...
Yes, but it is a super simple cut and you wouldn’t need to spend a lot of time indicating it in.
It’s probably a minute of cutting including a coffee break and Making it pretty.
More time to indicate it in within reason unless you get one of those miracle days.

Thank you for all of the information. I just measured the barrel on the rem in front of the barrel nut and it is 1.065. The barrel on the Zeus in front of the action is 1.233. Am I correct in assuming the barrel on the rem does not have enough material for a shoulder?

Your going to have to use a barrel nut with that remage barrel
Here you can see a shouldered barrel and barrel nut barrel side by side.
The nut is basically an adjustable shoulder.
5F96E750-9C07-444D-9FCE-D240CB0F2187.jpeg

Thank you for all of the information. I just measured the barrel on the rem in front of the barrel nut and it is 1.065. The barrel on the Zeus in front of the action is 1.233. Am I correct in assuming the barrel on the rem does not have enough material for a shoulder?

Correct...the rem barrel cannot be a shouldered barrel on the Zeus...as we stated above...it will need to be a nut barrel just like on your Rem but machining will be needed to work with the zeus. The nut is the shoulder...

Ok...I see now where the glue comes in. It would be a cool project if I had the tools and skills but I don’t so time to order another barrel.

Thanks again for the knowledge.

Reactions: padom
I have a REM 260 barrel and barrel nut on a Remington action. I picked up a qc Zeus and want to get a 260 barrel for it. Rather than buy new I thought about having the current barrel recut for the Zeus action since it only has 200 rounds on it. Is this possible? Is this something worth considering or should I just order a new barrel?

Thanks...
I've cut down a good barrel from a Remington 700 threads down to smaller metric Browning A-Bolt II threads. Worked perfect. Barrel shoots amazing, and zero issues. As long as the outside diameter of the new threads is smaller than the tenon diameter at the bottom of the old threads, you should be fine.

Worst case scenario, you chop the old threads off, and thread a little bit farther forward on the tenon, and then recut the chamber. If you have a smith willing to do that for a very reasonable fee, then It will be cheaper than a new barrel.

So, to answer your question, YES, it can be done... If it will be cheaper than buying a new barrel, then it's worth it, if it won't be, it might be best to sell the old barrel in-tact and then recoup some of the cost of a new barrel blank.

I've cut down a good barrel from a Remington 700 threads down to smaller metric Browning A-Bolt II threads. Worked perfect. Barrel shoots amazing, and zero issues. As long as the outside diameter of the new threads is smaller than the tenon diameter at the bottom of the old threads, you should be fine.

Worst case scenario, you chop the old threads off, and thread a little bit farther forward on the tenon, and then recut the chamber. If you have a smith willing to do that for a very reasonable fee, then It will be cheaper than a new barrel.

So, to answer your question, YES, it can be done... If it will be cheaper than buying a new barrel, then it's worth it, if it won't be, it might be best to sell the old barrel in-tact and then recoup some of the cost of a new barrel blank.

I think you misread this thread, the threads are the same, thats not the issue here....its the tenon face difference that doesnt work. And as we stated needs to be machined to work AND he wanted a shoulder which also cant be done because the shank is 1.06 for a nut barrel........ He has to use a nut and machine the tenon face flat to work with a Zeus. The threads are not the issue.

Cutting the breach face is simple.
Why not use the barrel nut?
Should work, shouldn't it?

This can be done by chucking up the barrel, cutting down the shank to proper Zeus tenon length then re-cutting the chamber to proper depth.

I typically charge more for this because it's a bit more inconvenient than a new barrel, but in this case, since you don't have to cut all the threads off and machine a new shank it won't be too bad.

Cutting the breach face is simple.
Why not use the barrel nut?
Should work, shouldn't it?

This won't work. The Remington bolt has a recessed lug. The zeus bolt won't be able to go into battery due to the recess cut for the remington bolt.

Edit:

Is the Zeus a quick change? What is the recoil lug thickness on the Remmy?

This can be done by chucking up the barrel, cutting down the shank to proper Zeus tenon length then re-cutting the chamber to proper depth.

I typically charge more for this because it's a bit more inconvenient than a new barrel, but in this case, since you don't have to cut all the threads off and machine a new shank it won't be too bad.

This won't work. The Remington bolt has a recessed lug. The zeus bolt won't be able to go into battery due to the recess cut for the remington bolt.

Edit:

Is the Zeus a quick change? What is the recoil lug thickness on the Remmy?
It is a quick change. The lug is .2

i know at least one person has done this to a remage/zeus combo by cutting down the bolt nose recess i believe is all he did

Reactions: padom