• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Redding Competition Shellholder Sets (for headspace adj. w/o going the bushing die route)

Rooster721

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2014
Curious if anyone on the forum has used (or knows much) about the Shellholder sets by Redding that come in .002" to .010" thicknesses, stepped up in .002" increments ? and whether they would work with any FL dies, (or only Redding?)

Seems like a great idea to tune headspace without bushing-dies, thinking about ordering a set. I'm interested to hear feedback from guys that know a little more about them*

Last edited:
They will work with any fl dies. They have absolutely nothing to do with bushings. Bushings are for neck tension, not shoulder headspacing.

Just an easier way, if you're using a single stage press, to affect headspace without having to readjust the die. Time saver.

I use a Dillon 550b, so they don't help me out much.

Chris

I use them.

My TRG likes the +.006" shell holder which gives me just the right amount of clearance. My Remmy liked the +.008" one. They are very easy to use. They are knurled so they are easy to move in and out of the press. They are blued, which is nice too.

As pointed out above, the shellholders are for headspace adjustment, not neck tension adjustment. If you don't know the difference, you need to stop reloading, read more, and understand the difference. Neck tension is controlling the diameter of the neck prior to seating (how firmly the neck is holding the bullet... usually stated as the difference between the bullet diameter and the internal diameter before seating the bullet. It typically runs from .000" to .005"). Headspace is determining the length of the case from the shoulder to the case head (or alternatively, the left over space between the case head and the bolt face when the round is chambered... that measurement typically runs from -.001" to .003").

I don't use the shellholders as I have a Forster Co-ax and a Dillon 650. If you need to adjust headspace, it is just as easy to screw your FL die in a little more. The Redding Shellholders will remove some of the trial and error if you know what your spacing is, you can just swap out the holders so that you can get to your target more quickly. My FL die has a micrometer head, so it doesn't really bother me.

Where I think these jobbies might be really useful is if you are loading the same caliber for multiple rifles and each have different headspace. In that case, if you don't have a FL die with a micrometer head (most don't), you can just swap out the shellholder when you are reloading for a different rifle. These things only really save time if you have to set up more than once. I hate setting up FL dies, but I do it once, and I am done until I decide to make a change (I don't have multiple rifles with the same caliber).

Appreciate the info.. I think I-will order a set.

I've got 2 264's and have one going for a re-barrel in a couple weeks. Obviously is going to come back with a slightly different-spec chamber. (I kinda figured these holders might do the trick and save me re-setting every-time between rifles/thanks for the verification*) I use a T7 press and like the idea of leaving dies "set" without removing when a guy goes from decapping to sizing to seating.. I do see a big difference far as uniformity goes. That press probably be the best $ I've spent (yet) on my-bench* These holders should be real handy too.

Thanks again

As pointed out above, the shellholders are for headspace adjustment, not neck tension adjustment. If you don't know the difference, you need to stop reloading, read more, and understand the difference. Neck tension is controlling the diameter of the neck prior to seating (how firmly the neck is holding the bullet... usually stated as the difference between the bullet diameter and the internal diameter before seating the bullet. It typically runs from .000" to .005"). Headspace is determining the length of the case from the shoulder to the case head (or alternatively, the left over space between the case head and the bolt face when the round is chambered... that measurement typically runs from -.001" to .003").

Thanks just the same, but no need for a clinical... (worded that title wrong, my mistake-- you guys got the idea/question I was trying to get across regardless) These "jobbies" (as per my above post) WILL be used as a gauge to size for two rifles of same caliber, through the same die* As you said yourself, re-setting is a pain in the ass.

If that is the plan, you are on the right track. That should work out well. I happen to have a Neil Jones Custom die with a micrometer head, but I have looked and can't seem to find a Redding FL die with a micrometer head and the reason seems to be that the bushings are designed differently from a Neil Jones bushing so that they can be used both in a FL sizer and in a NO sizer. The Neil Jones is designed for FL sizing only, so his bushings go all the way down the shoulder.

I don't use the shellholders as I have a Forster Co-ax and a Dillon 650. If you need to adjust headspace, it is just as easy to screw your FL die in a little more. The Redding Shellholders will remove some of the trial and error if you know what your spacing is, you can just swap out the holders so that you can get to your target more quickly. My FL die has a micrometer head, so it doesn't really bother me.

Where I think these jobbies might be really useful is if you are loading the same caliber for multiple rifles and each have different headspace. In that case, if you don't have a FL die with a micrometer head (most don't), you can just swap out the shellholder when you are reloading for a different rifle. These things only really save time if you have to set up more than once. I hate setting up FL dies, but I do it once, and I am done until I decide to make a change (I don't have multiple rifles with the same caliber).
What full length die do you use with the micrometer? Forster has bushing neck bumping die that looks prety nice and looks to give you the best of 2 worlds. Anyone with any experience care to comment?

The Redding shellholder set really shines when you have a min SAAMI chamber rifle. It allows you to adjust your shoulder bump while maintaining a solid contact of the shellholder to the die. With min spec chambers, you sometimes need to adjust the die out too far for a standard shellholder to contact the base of the die. This will get you minimal shoulder bump but it is extremely difficult to maintain the accuracy of your resizing operation without full contact. There are a ton of other variables involved as well, such as consistent press stroke, consistent even application of case lube, etc. I'm a big fan of Hornady ONE SHOT for consistent lube app. and the press stroke just comes with time...

I like them. The main benefit like Hookturnr said is that the die makes full contact with the shellholder every time. This as opposed to adjusting the die to float above the shellholder which may or may not be consistent.

Just follow the directions and enjoy long case life by bumping the shoulder a minimal amount. (Talking about bolt guns of course)

The shellholder has nothing to do with neck bushings... Coincidentally the two 7RM's I reload for both use the same shellholder from the set.

What full length die do you use with the micrometer? Forster has bushing neck bumping die that looks prety nice and looks to give you the best of 2 worlds. Anyone with any experience care to comment?

There are no production fl sizing dies with a micrometer; only custom dies. I believe the forster die you are referring to is the same type of die that redding offers: a competition neck SIZING die. I have seen and played with them, but never bothered to try one. I have to be honest, I believe that the idea of partially sizing a case neck is antiquated. I believe this die was made for the likes of bench rest shooters entirely.

Partially sized necks make it possible to adjust out excessive runout.

The theory behind partially sizing necks is that the larger portion of the neck indexes off the chamber and centers the round. I have no idea if this actually works, nor do I know anyone that does this.

Of course it works. If you are chasing lands there is no reason to size the whole neck being you only have a smidgeon of the bullet skank sitting in it.