• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Redfield Widefield 3-9x40

Viktor Gorchev

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Netherlands
Hey guys,

I mentioned to a local friend that I wanted a 'better' though affordable scope then the 4x with German #1 reticle that's currently on my FN 30-11, to hold me over until I can afford a decent period Zeiss/Hensoldt/Kahles/The like, and he's hooking me up with a vintage Redfield Widefield 3-9x40. I've looked around some, and they seem to be rather popular, especially among the older generation. Anyone here with personal experience with one that could tell me more about it, and if it'd be a good middle ground for my .308 FN until an expensive Euro scope comes my way?

Thanks!

-Viktor,

Re: Redfield Widefield 3-9x40

They are decent, but there is better glass to be had these days. You don't mention cost, so it's hard to say what you can compare it to.

The older Denver Co. scopes were probably the best of the vintage Redfields. As you probably already know, the current Redfields are made by Leupold, and although I have not looked through one, they may be a better bet than the vintage Redfields.

That said, when I first started hunting over 35 years ago, I used nothing but Redfield, and still have a couple.

I got it for 150 Euro, in seemingly pristine condition. I know there's probably better, but I'm rather short one cash. A European scope from the same period as my rifle(I want to keep it as 'period' as possible), in good condition, would run me 700+ Euro, and my wallet just can't handle that yet. The 4x I have on it is technically more then fine for the ranges I currently shoot at, but I just can't get used to the German #1 reticle :p

I've an old 3X9X40 Redfield widefield I used circa 60's on. It's as clear as any Leupold Veri-X III I've ever owned. I always hated the adjustments, but once zeroed it has never moved. All of the Leupold has been sold(save one), but the Redfield is staying. I know nothing about the new models.

Well, I'm picking it up tomorrow, and I've ordered some STANAG rings. Hope to have it mounted by the end of the week. I'm sure it'll look very nice on my 70's FN.

Well, I picked up the scope today. Very nice. Can barely even see where the rings have been. Now I just need to wait for my own rings to arrive. In the meantime, does anyone know of any lens covers that would fit it? The front objective wouldn't be a problem, but I'm wondering about the oval back. Also, I wonder if I could find a manual for the scope anywhere? I think it's just a regular widefield, not the lo-pro or accu-track, but it'd still be nice to know all the features, especially since I'm not exactly sure yet how to focus it.

Thanks,

Butler Creek makes flip up covers for the Redfield widefield scopes.

Looked at those covers. Pretty cheap. Except the shipping costs to Europe is like 3 times as much. Oh well. Maybe I can get one of my US friends to buy them for me and mail them =)

Also still waiting for my STANAG rings. Hope those arrive today.