• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing release agent for bedding?

Re: release agent for bedding?

Kiwi neutral shoe polish, and/or Hornady OneShot case lube work great for me

ok thanks guys I think I'll try the kiwi polish. I've seen alot of peaple use it.

Many things that leave a non binding film will work for rifles.

For potting magnetics in epoxy before putting them in outer space, high vac grease. Not high vac for space, high vac for the vacuum chamber used to get the bubbles out of the wet epoxy.

I use a combination of foam rubber, masking tape, and Redding Imperial sizing wax to prepare a rifle for bedding.

I like Johnsons paste furniture wax. 2 coats, allowed to dry between each coat and buffed with a toothbrush or similar to clean it out of nooks and crannys.
Right before bedding/buttering I shoot a light coat of Spray-On Silicon mold release.
Slicker than deerguts on a doorknob, releases clean everytime.

I use a tin of Meguiars car wax I've had laying around for years - still nowhere near the bottom.

I have always used Johnsons Paste Wax but the Hornady One Shot seems like a better idea. Cleaner also.

Glad I read this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WSprtuaL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kiwi neutral shoe polish
</div></div>
+1

I want to get my stock hydrodipped do you bed it first or after?

oh and how do you get the release agent off lol kiwi neutral shoe polish or johnsons paste wax?

RIG . works great for marine-tex, devcon, and acra-glass

I scanned through the posts and didnt see anyone mention it. I personally have never done my own bedding job but saw a youtube video where this guy reccomended using case lube as a release agent said it worked really well. I dont know how valid that statement is but worth a shot or add it to your list of possibilities. I have also heard of using the Kiwi. Good luck. Also, not to hijack the thread but for those that have done their own bedding jobs is it pretty simple to do or would you reccomend having a gunsmith do it? Stock I'm considering well 2 actually a thumbhole laminate stock on a factory Remmy 700 and a B&C Medalist stock also for a 700 action. thanks guys

EaseRelease200.jpg

Not the only one, but one of the most user friendly.

Brownells spray release agent is the best I have ever used. Gets in all the tight spots with no hassle. Very thin coating. Just spray and your done. Hope this helps. Paul.
cool.gif

I also use Kiwi neutral shoe polish.

As far as clean up the Johnsons Paste wax washes right off with mineral spirits, laquer thinner and such. Scrub with a nylon bristle brush or 1" paint brush with the bristles cut to about 1/2" long.
When it drys you may see a little powdery residue but it just blows off.
Slather a lil CLP on it for the armor all effect and you are GTG.

A hint on cleaning up the excess Devcon, before you bed it take some popsicle sticks and shape them to act like a squeegee for the stock/receiver joint. They work well and really save on the mess of wiping with a paper towel, Q-tips etc. I get about 90% of it off then GENTLY use a Q-tip with some white vinegar on it and clean it to a fine line. I say gently because the Devcon has the powdered steel in it and can be abrasive and damage a finish. Also you don't want to rub through your release coats and ding the bluing with the acidic vinegar.
It will really save you some time on final clean up once the Devcon cures.

I've used Minwax paste wax, as well as PVA (polyvinyl alcohol) release agents. Both work well. Frankly, getting epoxy to not stick to an oily metal surface has rarely been a problem
wink.gif

I'll look at the spray from brownells and thanks for all the help guys any more help will be helpful too.

Take a look at www.mclube.com. Looks like it might work.I have always used Brownells release with good results.But it is getting a little pricey.I think I might give Mc lube a try.

I couldn't concentrate while shooting. Smelling butter would get me all hungry.

I had Mothers pure carnuba paste wax. I was a bit skeptical on how it would perform, but it worked great. I called Devcon prior to using it & they said it should work fine. BTW the people at Devcon were very helpful for me on more than one occasion. The first time I called is when I found out that Devcon is right here in Mass., and called them to see if I could pick up product at their place of business. They directed me to Grainger, who had it for me in less than one day. A bit more expensive at Grainger, but availability was quick.