• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading 284 Win rounds long ?

hexades1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2005
Finland
If I take a 6.5X284 Norma brass made by Lapua, enlarge the neck for 7mm bullets and load the round at around 3.10" inches, what kind of reloading dies should one use ?

The case body length from base to the 2nd neck junction is 48,20mm for the 6.5X284 Norma brass and 47,88mm for the 284 Win brass so obviously not all 284 Win dies will work well when using 6.5X284 brass opened up to 7mm. Norma brass is 0,32mm longer (=0.0126") Or can I forget the minor difference in length right away ?

For the body and shoulder resizing one could use a 6.5X284 Redding Body die but does it have enough neck clearance to leave the new 7mm neck (at .313"-.314" OD) alone ? The part# at Redding isa 75415. For the 284 Win the part# is 75141. -> I believe I should get the 75415 meant for the 6.5X284 Norma brass and open the hole for the neck if needed.

Neck sizer: Can I use Redding Type-S bushing neck sizing die for 6.5X284 Norma with just larger bushings for the 7mm bullets at around .311-.313" and of course larger resizing button for the larger bullets?

What about the bullet seater ? Loading rounds with much longer than regular O.A.L.s should work ok ?

I am sure somebody has thought this all through before but I would hate to buy .284 Win dies just to find out that I need actually the 6.5X284 Norma dies with some modifications.

Re: Reloading 284 Win rounds long ?

Hi Get a Redding 284 Type S Bushing die and neck the cases up then shoot them that is what i have done and 8 other 284's we have made for the 30-284's we have reamed clearence out of 6.5-284 and 284 redding Type S dies you can get away with clearing the neck and using larger bushings just get a tapered expander to neck the cases up first they work perfectly.

Wild Bill is correct. Most any manufacturer's .284 Winchester neck bushing reloading dies should work for what you are doing; I know for sure that the Redding Comp. seater works.

JeffVN

Dont worry about what the cases measure the reamer you have will match the dies for a 284 Win so just use a Redding 284 Win Type S Bushing die that is what we do.

The simple truth of the matter is; when you expand the neck of a 6.5x284 to 7mm you have made a 284win. That simple. It's now a 284win case and you use 284 dies.

My problem was/is the fact that I do not have access to a proper .284 Win reamer but I have access to a 6.5X284 Norma reamer.

The seaters and neck sizers work apparently all because the concentrate on the neck area only.

Thanks for all the replies !

Redding Reloading told me per email that according to SAAMI specs the 6.5X284 Norma is just a .284 Win with a thinner bullet.

The minor changes on the shoulder area happen because the O.A.L of the brass stays the same but bullet diameter changes.

Got my Lapua made 6.5X284 Norma brass and Berger 180 VLDs. The O.D. of the loaded dummy rounds is a constant .312" so my pick of S-type bushing with .310" I.D. was perfect. I loaded 5 dummy rounds for my gunsmith to make sure the rifle feeds perfect with my ammo. Enlarged the brass with Sinclair tools and it was very easy.

Rifle itself is slowly getting ready. A 700mm barrel from Border with 5R rifling and with a tighter than CIP-minimum neck. Stock is a McM A5 with saddle and TRG-bipod adapter.

Result should be 338LM like trajectories out of a rifle recoiling only a little more than a hot 308. Brass cost is 50% less than with 338LM, bullet cost is about the same here in Finland, powder costs are 35% less. The recoil is so much less that I do not need to use any muzzle device. With my 338LM I need to have a break or can to keep recoil at tolerable levels. New rifle will be a few pounds ligther too.

Had to get a long action to be able to load the ammo out to 3.15"-3.2"

what's up with your setup?
i am also interested by the 284win.
can you give me some feed back?
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...A 700mm barrel from Border with 5R rifling and with a tighter than CIP-minimum neck.</div></div>You might not want a tight neck: The .284 will likely get better accuracy at .0015 or more per side.

Long story short on the "tight CIP necks".

My ammo OD: .312"
My rifle neck ID: .315" or 0.0025"/side

CIP minimum neck ID: .322" which would mean 0.05"/per side. The bullet would need an air controller to guide it out of the rifle.

So my "tight neck" is actually pretty sloppy at .0025"/per side. I do not believe it will have relevant effect on my shooting.

Rifle is ready and I have shot some ammo but have no proper scope for it. Barrell does not copper too much and I got 2990 fps with N560 and 180 VLD and was not even maxing out. Will have to test some more. With 162 A-Maxes 3160 fps should be doable.

Shot the rifle for 15 rounds with only a T-shirt on my shoulder. Pachmayr Decelarator and the rifle&scope combo made it very pleasant and did not have suppressor or muzzle brake in use.

Two weeks ago I shot around 150 rounds of 338LM ammo and broke one extractor. My shoulder was sore for a few days. .284 Win is much more pleasant. Actually my 308Win kicks more than the .284 Win.