• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

reloading 308 LC brass

colscar

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2012
texas
just got a sample pack of lc brass and wanted to work up a load , I have read that this brass is usually thicker and has less case volume. With that said what would be a ball park starting load for a Remington 700p 1:12 twist 26" barrel shooting nosler 168 custom competition bullets and varget. According to the Nosler reloading manual varget loads start at 42 grains... should I start with 40 and go up from there. Also does ppu brass and lc brass hold almost the same amount? I filled the cases to the max and they seem to be a few tenths of a grain difference, im guessing this is due to the inconsistancies of the brass. Thanks

Well the standard load for a M1A in LC brass is 41.5 gr of IMR 4895 behind a 168 gr pill so I would say you can at least start there. I have also put 42.5 in it as well for a slightly hotter load. Don't see any reason why 43 would be too far off.

LC brass is slightly thicker walled than most commercial brass but is very durable and will give you several reloads. You're likely OK beginning your load work up with the starting load in the Nosler manual with LC brass. It's always a good idea to work up a new load slowly but dropping 2 full grains below the starting load in the manual is probably not necessary.

just got a sample pack of lc brass and wanted to work up a load , I have read that this brass is usually thicker and has less case volume. With that said what would be a ball park starting load for a Remington 700p 1:12 twist 26" barrel shooting nosler 168 custom competition bullets and varget. According to the Nosler reloading manual varget loads start at 42 grains... should I start with 40 and go up from there. Also does ppu brass and lc brass hold almost the same amount? I filled the cases to the max and they seem to be a few tenths of a grain difference, im guessing this is due to the inconsistancies of the brass. Thanks

I have the exact same rifle with the same load, powder, and bullet. The only dif being I use hBN coated 168 custom comps.

fed210
44.5 varget
2.305" ogive
'07 LC-LR brass
2744 fps

I have the exact same rifle with the same load, powder, and bullet. The only dif being I use hBN coated 168 custom comps.

fed210
44.5 varget
2.305" ogive
'07 LC-LR brass
2744 fps

Have u been getting pressure signs with 44.5 grains....I dont have a comparator that measures off the ogive ...I just set over all length to 2.800

Last edited:
Point I forgot to mention im not using lc/lr brass its regular lc brass im guessing out of machine gun ....is there a diffeence in volume between the two

I had issues with 500 lc brass once fired out of a machine gun I bought a year ago. I ended up buying the Redding small base die and it fixed my issues I was having with cases sticking. I load mine with the following.

175 SMK
44.1 Varget
210M Primers
LC '10 brass
Avg velocity is 1720fps using Alpha Chrono

As for your LC vs LC LR brass question here is a thread link to that discussion:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...55-lake-city-308-vs-lr-brass-differences.html

Have u been getting pressure signs with 44.5 grains....I dont have a comparator that measures off the ogive ...I just set over all length to 2.800

No pressure signs at all. I have gone all the way up to 44.9 with this combo but my best groups are at 44.5

I had issues with 500 lc brass once fired out of a machine gun I bought a year ago. I ended up buying the Redding small base die and it fixed my issues I was having with cases sticking. I load mine with the following.

175 SMK
44.1 Varget
210M Primers
LC '10 brass
Avg velocity is 1720fps using Alpha Chrono

As for your LC vs LC LR brass question here is a thread link to that discussion:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...55-lake-city-308-vs-lr-brass-differences.html

1720 fps?

No pressure signs at all. I have gone all the way up to 44.9 with this combo but my best groups are at 44.5

would you consider this to be a compressed load.. i loaded 44 grains into a ppu case and i got some crunch.... also some of the brass was sticking . The bolt would slide up but not back and noticed that the headstamp had a shinny swipe on it. could this of been just a headspace issue i set the head space back .002 once fired.

Is this for bolt rifles only or for semi autos as well?

FWIW, that particular load works great in my JP LRP-07 and my AIAW. For that matter, it has worked great in every 308 bolt or gas rifle I've ever owned.

would you consider this to be a compressed load.. i loaded 44 grains into a ppu case and i got some crunch.... also some of the brass was sticking . The bolt would slide up but not back and noticed that the headstamp had a shinny swipe on it. could this of been just a headspace issue i set the head space back .002 once fired.

Nope, I just shook one and can easily hear the powder shaking around inside.

With using LC brass
If it's regular LC brass it should be sized twice to ensure even shoulder set back
I use a regular FL die followed by a bump die.
LC brass fired from machine guns index of the link, hence sloppy chambers (and barrel changes to prevent melting barrels). Primer pockets crimp (some one thought the violent action an shaking would loosen primers)
LC LR and LR match are the same
Either through a bolt gun or AR 10
LC match has vertical ridges to let the user know by feel it was a 168 grain pill.
It's all good brass some has to be worked more than others
So knowing what your getting an not get misled price wise.
I've gotten 10 reloads out of LR brass with 46.4 grains of varget using 155's before the pockets got loose
Hope some of this info helps

just loaded up some 44, 43.5, 43, and 42.5 rounds... going to see how these do first, going to be testing at 300 yards and hopefully I don't have any more problems pulling the bolt back. ill keep you all posted on how this goes. im going to try and shoot these on Saturday if the weather good.. going to start from 42.5 and go up to 44. any advice I should be aware of before I test these.. again thanks

I used 42.5 grains of varget with 168s in LC brass for a long time. You can go up to 44-45 but I don't see the point with a 168nos. It is not a 1000 yard bullet. If anything you could look for a load at a lighter charge even if it is only 2550fps you would still be accurate at the ranges that bullet was designed for.

For 175s my favorite was 43 grains of varget loaded to mag length. I have never found a rifle that will not shoot well with that load.

Last edited:
I used 42.5 grains of varget with 168s in LC brass for a long time. You can go up to 44-45 but I don't see the point with a 168nos. It is not a 1000 yard bullet. If anything you could look for a load at a lighter charge even if it is only 2550fps you would still be accurate at the ranges that bullet was designed for.

For 175s my favorite was 43 grains of varget loaded to mag length. I have never found a rifle that will not shoot well with that load.

in reality its not for 1000 yards. I dont have a range or know of anyone with a streatch of land that goes that far ... The furthest i might go is like 600-700tops, i might get some 175s later.