• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

reloading application

Break Bad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2012
NW Florida
I've finally allocated some time to do some mobile app development and for my guinea-pig project, I have decided to do a simple app to keep track of my loads, load development, and rounds down range....nothing miraculous. Good motivation for me to familiarize with the toolset. The framework I'm using deploys to iOS, Android, OSX, Windows, etc.. So this will be a mobile and desktop application.

The more I tinker, the more the requirements just keep growing. So before I get neck deep in development I was wondering what other reloaders would want (if at all) in such an app.

The basic functionality would include:

• Enter/Edit/Delete Loads
    • Brass, Bullet, Powder, Primer, Measurements (Caliber, Cartridge, OAL, COAL, Volume, Neck Diameter, Headspace, volume, weights, tolerances, etc.. etc...) Lots of optional values for the less anal.
  • Enter/Edit/Delete Rifle
    • Make, Model, Attributes(length, rifling, contour, etc..)
    • Stock
    • Bedding
    • Chassis
    • Threads
    • Break/Can (Make/Model)
    • Rounds Down Range (know how many of each Load has been shot, and the total)
  • Enter/Edit/Delete Events
    • Date, Description
    • Location (GPS?)
    • Velocity/ES/SD
    • Rounds Fired (Choose Load & Rifle)
    • Take Images (maybe video)
  • Chat (?)
  • Graphs(?)
  • Load Library
    • Be able to share, search loads

I realize there are already tools and websites out there that do much of this. I'm using this as a learning tool, but I'm motivated to release a good application.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Requests? Flame on.

Would be really cool if the photos could be processed to analyze the grouping.

Dropbox backup

Ability to have data on multiple iOS devices.

Clone a box so you don't have to re-enter everything for a slightly different load.

Weather entry

Absolutely, will do. Not sure about bluetooth kestrel on iOS. Features like that may be added in future versions.

Would be really cool if the photos could be processed to analyze the grouping.

Dropbox backup

Ability to have data on multiple iOS devices.

Clone a box so you don't have to re-enter everything for a slightly different load.

All great suggestions, adding to the requirements.

GPS location and weather are important, as is the proper spelling of brake.

The ability to import chronograph data from MagnetoSpeed would be really cool..

You might want to track the temperature of the ammunition, the amount of neck tension on the bullets, what loading you are on, such as new factory ammo or first loaded commercial or military brass versus reloads that have already been fire formed to the chamber, and if they are reloads that are fire formed to this weapon, what loading they are on. If the cases have been annealed or not, if the rifle was just cleaned or not, if the bullets are coated with moly or Boron nitride, if the meplats have been trimmed and the point closed, if the case necks have been shaved/turned. If the ammo was single loaded and fired or fed from a magazine.

It might also be nice to track any modifications that have been made to the weapon, like new bedding, new scope or mounts, how many rounds have been fired in this particular bedding, if the rifle was just painted, and if it was just one coat or enough to diminish the bedding fit. You might want to have locations to log the torque values for the bedding screws, the scope ring to rail screws, and the ring around the scope screws. If the weapon was fired from a bipod, off a benchrest, or from a solid mounted vise to eliminate human factors. Just a few things that come to mind.

GPS location and weather are important, as is the proper spelling of brake.
GPS, check. Brake, check (I type fast, and when I try to type brake, break usually comes out because of muscle memory from typing my user name. :(

The ability to import chronograph data from MagnetoSpeed would be really cool..
I'm sure this is doable...and probably much easier on android because the file system is exposed.

You might want to track the temperature of the ammunition, the amount of neck tension on the bullets, what loading you are on, such as new factory ammo or first loaded commercial or military brass versus reloads that have already been fire formed to the chamber, and if they are reloads that are fire formed to this weapon, what loading they are on. If the cases have been annealed or not, if the rifle was just cleaned or not, if the bullets are coated with moly or Boron nitride, if the meplats have been trimmed and the point closed, if the case necks have been shaved/turned. If the ammo was single loaded and fired or fed from a magazine.

It might also be nice to track any modifications that have been made to the weapon, like new bedding, new scope or mounts, how many rounds have been fired in this particular bedding, if the rifle was just painted, and if it was just one coat or enough to diminish the bedding fit. You might want to have locations to log the torque values for the bedding screws, the scope ring to rail screws, and the ring around the scope screws. If the weapon was fired from a bipod, off a benchrest, or from a solid mounted vise to eliminate human factors. Just a few things that come to mind.
Thanks, you had some variables I had not thought of yet. A lot of this will be taken into account because you can easily clone (datguy's suggestions) a rifle/load configuration and modify as necessary. Then select the new rifle for the current event(chrono/zeroing/comp/drills).

Say you have a switch barrel setup and two different, but similar loads. You would create a rifle and all its attributes, clone it and modify the barrel attributes for the second barrel. Then do the same for the loads. Then you would have 4 events if you wanted to try each load with each barrel. I hope that makes sense. If it does not, let me know what makes sense to ya'll.

Thanks for the excellent feedback.