• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

reloading for 338LM with Varget

338LM_Hunter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2010
Anyone out there reloading for .338 Lapua Mag with Varget, Lapua case using a 300gr SMK? Looking to develop a load to compare to Retumbo/others.

Re: reloading for 338LM with Varget

Varget..really? Ok..sure you can use it but you will be getting VERY low velocity. Its not even in the ballpark for a 338LM- far too fast a burn rate. You might consider doing a good bit more reading both on this forum and in books and learn more on burn rates and see what others are using.

Varget is way too fast for the .338LM.

Use powders like H1000, Retumbo, RL25 etc.

You might want to look around at some reloading data. You wont see Varget in there anywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrpilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to look around at some reloading data. You wont see Varget in there anywhere. </div></div>

Yeah, he might as well try Blue Dot when he runs out of Varget.

Don't people read any longer?

Chris

I would think if you were at the point or skill level to be shooting a 338LM, you would know better than that.

Wow

Blue dot = very big boom

I would pick something significantly slower than that. I load mine with RL25. Have tried Retumbo also. I like the velocity on RL25 better.

Didn't see anything in the books, that's why I asked. I guess I should have known, if it wasn't in the books or any where else for that matter. Guess I will have to leave the Varget for the .308.
I was planning to give RL25 a shot just to see how temp sensitive it is. Here, it ranges from freezing in winter to 100+ in summer, so need a temperature stable powder or figure out how to compensate accordingly. Plan to try Retumbo Saturday and then H4831SC, Viht or RL25 Sunday if time permits.

Where are you at? Here in the desert, I have chrono my RL25 from 40 degrees to 110 degrees and the velocity change is fairly minimal. I am not saying that it is the best powder for 338LM, but it works well for me here in the desert.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stan d Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't see anything in the books, that's why I asked. I guess I should have known, if it wasn't in the books or any where else for that matter. Guess I will have to leave the Varget for the .308.
I was planning to give RL25 a shot just to see how temp sensitive it is. Here, it ranges from freezing in winter to 100+ in summer, so need a temperature stable powder or figure out how to compensate accordingly. Plan to try Retumbo Saturday and then H4831SC, Viht or RL25 Sunday if time permits.</div></div>

Yeah, Varget works for a slew of calibers, but magnums are in a class of their own. If you fill a 338 case full of a fast powder, it will burn faster than the bullet can escape, and you might have an explosion, like a miniature pipe bomb.

Redding, CA. Where did you get your numbers for the RL25?
Poked around and got some numbers from Alliance that I plan to use min/max charge and velocities. Didn't see it in any books though.

Oh yea, Bullseye will work grrrrreat and save you lots of money on powder too.

Hmmmm, let see, about 15 grains per reload and a pound is 7000 grains, ummm hold on I gotta take my shoes off to do that math.

Holy cow batman I could get 466 loads out of a 1lb can!!!!!! Now see, that's why I come here, to get smartened up and save money. Thanks RJ, you the man. I never would have thought to use Bullseye before. LMFAO
smile.gif

Are there always so many Ass Wipes responding to QA on this site. If so, being my first post I will renounce my membership and look for one that has more people shooting and less people that are full of bullshit. You can comment to rack up the post count if you want, but I won't be checking this post anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yea, Bullseye will work grrrrreat and save you lots of money on powder too.

Hmmmm, let see, about 15 grains per reload and a pound is 7000 grains, ummm hold on I gotta take my shoes off to do that math.

Holy cow batman I could get 466 loads out of a 1lb can!!!!!! Now see, that's why I come here, to get smartened up and save money. Thanks RJ, you the man. I never would have thought to use Bullseye before. LMFAO
smile.gif
</div></div>

Drop your pants too, that'll get you another 1/2 grain.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stan d Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there always so many Ass Wipes responding to QA on this site. If so, being my first post I will renounce my membership and look for one that has more people shooting and less people that are full of bullshit. You can comment to rack up the post count if you want, but I won't be checking this post anymore. </div></div>

Dont let the door hit you in the ass. Ask a stupid question, expect stupid answers.
BTW, I like Titegroup with 250 SMK's in the 338LM!

+1 haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stan d Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there always so many Ass Wipes responding to QA on this site. If so, being my first post I will renounce my membership and look for one that has more people shooting and less people that are full of bullshit. You can comment to rack up the post count if you want, but I won't be checking this post anymore. </div></div>

Dont let the door hit you in the ass. Ask a stupid question, expect stupid answers.
BTW, I like Titegroup with 250 SMK's in the 338LM! </div></div>

Flame suit on. Okay, so yeah, the guy thinking Varget is okay for .338LM is not a good thought and seeing as how burning rate knowledge would indicate that it isn't a fit the guy is obviously green but we all started somewhere. Did he get a little too offended with some of the jabs at him? Probably. I can ignore posts and look for the good ones but it is also easy to forget that we all started from the same spot at some point, and that spot was the beginning.

I certainly wouldn't suggest the .338 LM or any magnum caliber be the place to start for reloading but we learn from asking questions. I always thought the only stupid question was one not asked. Yes, he needs to read and learn more. Yes, he needs some thicker skin. Some others need to remember that they weren't born with all of the knowledge they currently have. I was born with thick skin and have made it even thicker through careful overfeeding so flame on...

That is why people should RTFM. In just about every reloading manual they will tell you about this.

BTW, I like using titegroup with all my reloads. It truly does give me titegroups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Denny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flame suit on. Okay, so yeah, the guy thinking Varget is okay for .338LM is not a good thought and seeing as how burning rate knowledge would indicate that it isn't a fit the guy is obviously green but we all started somewhere. Did he get a little too offended with some of the jabs at him? Probably. I can ignore posts and look for the good ones but it is also easy to forget that we all started from the same spot at some point, and that spot was the beginning.

I certainly wouldn't suggest the .338 LM or any magnum caliber be the place to start for reloading but we learn from asking questions. I always thought the only stupid question was one not asked. Yes, he needs to read and learn more. Yes, he needs some thicker skin. Some others need to remember that they weren't born with all of the knowledge they currently have. I was born with thick skin and have made it even thicker through careful overfeeding so flame on... </div></div>

I started reloading a few years before I had the Infrawebs, so it was Handguns' reloading section and G&A, along with reading my Speer and Nosler reloading books more than a few times.

I think what pisses people off here (and for me over on AR15) is the laziness (or cavalier attitude) that people exhibit in learning a potentially life threatening hobby. We're talking basic reading here, not days, or weeks, but more than a couple of hours, say while one is in the crapper during the course of a day.

We have guys asking 'what size primer does my Lapua 308 brass take?', 'is Varget good for 338LM?' and 'should I trim my brass before sizing?'. If you spent the hour, or two, reading any of the various 'how to' sections in the front of any reloading manual, you'd have those answers and you'd NOT make a fool out of yourself here, asking such simple questions.

For me, it's not really the obvious questions, it's the fact that these people want to take the short cut. They want us to provide the answers for them, without providing due diligence, thereby taking our time away from answering more enlightening posts. They want us to do their homework for them, so they can play and that kind of bugs me.

That's my gripe.

'Have you had better luck shooting RL-25 under the 300s vs. Retumbo or VV-170, in your 338LMs?'

'I have three different manuals and all have differing opinions regarding the adjustment of one's sizing die, so what's up?'

Or...

'What's the best way to measure headspace?' are questions that make sense and will no doubt garner helpful replies.

'Do I prime before sizing and adding gun powder?' will not.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Denny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flame suit on. Okay, so yeah, the guy thinking Varget is okay for .338LM is not a good thought and seeing as how burning rate knowledge would indicate that it isn't a fit the guy is obviously green but we all started somewhere. Did he get a little too offended with some of the jabs at him? Probably. I can ignore posts and look for the good ones but it is also easy to forget that we all started from the same spot at some point, and that spot was the beginning.

I certainly wouldn't suggest the .338 LM or any magnum caliber be the place to start for reloading but we learn from asking questions. I always thought the only stupid question was one not asked. Yes, he needs to read and learn more. Yes, he needs some thicker skin. Some others need to remember that they weren't born with all of the knowledge they currently have. I was born with thick skin and have made it even thicker through careful overfeeding so flame on... </div></div>

I started reloading a few years before I had the Infrawebs, so it was Handguns' reloading section and G&A, along with reading my Speer and Nosler reloading books more than a few times.

I think what pisses people off here (and for me over on AR15) is the laziness (or cavalier attitude) that people exhibit in learning a potentially life threatening hobby. We're talking basic reading here, not days, or weeks, but more than a couple of hours, say while one is in the crapper during the course of a day.

We have guys asking 'what size primer does my Lapua 308 brass take?', 'is Varget good for 338LM?' and 'should I trim my brass before sizing?'. If you spent the hour, or two, reading any of the various 'how to' sections in the front of any reloading manual, you'd have those answers and you'd NOT make a fool out of yourself here, asking such simple questions.

For me, it's not really the obvious questions, it's the fact that these people want to take the short cut. They want us to provide the answers for them, without providing due diligence, thereby taking our time away from answering more enlightening posts. They want us to do their homework for them, so they can play and that kind of bugs me.

That's my gripe.

'Have you had better luck shooting RL-25 under the 300s vs. Retumbo or VV-170, in your 338LMs?'

'I have three different manuals and all have differing opinions regarding the adjustment of one's sizing die, so what's up?'

Or...

'What's the best way to measure headspace?' are questions that make sense and will no doubt garner helpful replies.

'Do I prime before sizing and adding gun powder?' will not.

Chris
</div></div>

Well said.

I have not and will not ever claim to know everything. I was referring to the OP asking an ignorant question, getting ribbed (lightly compared to most), then getting his panties in a bunch and saying his is out of here. LATER, DOUCHEBAG.

You might want to test VV powders namely N170, N560 and N570. I use only N560 but I shoot only 250 Scenars.

I do not see any point in using 300 SMK´s if you are shooting only paper. 250 Scenar will fly out to +2000m with ease even though it will go subsonic at around 1500-1550m. The bullet just does not care. Bryan Litz shot them out to 2400 yards with a regular TRG-42 and had no problems with bullet stability.

In defense of the guy, I got the load below from somewhere as Sierra's accuracy load. I have it in my 338LM notes and did a double take upon reading it. So I googled varget with 338 LM and came into this forum. Maybe the poor guy read the same thing I did somewhere. I honestly dont remember where I read it from. And yes I always verify my loads with another source. Anyone explain it?

62gr of varget
225 hpbt serria matchking
COL 3.340
FPS=2788

Not sure if that powder and load will work or not, but I do know it is potentially dangerous to use a load so lite with certain powders....Couldn't tell you how or if varget will react.

The problem comes when there is enough airspace in the case where the primer can flash over the entire case...The bad part is if it is the wrong type of powder it detonates as a whole (as opposed to burns progressively from the end) and takes out the rifle with a huge pressure spike.

You can do things like run red dot or W231 with modest loads for cast bullets or whatever and be fine....I otherwise would not use medium burn rate powders in a big case unless you can find a <span style="font-size: 17pt">verifiable</span> load from a powder/bullet manufacturer.