• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading issue

GoatLD259

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2020
United States
Good Evening Hide,

I ran into a problem as I was doing some dry runs (no primer, no powder) and noticed a problem. I am reloading 40 Cal 180 grain, RNFP Blue Bullets. As shown in picture one, there is a half moon that forms on the top of the bullet. FWIW, it is happening at the Dillon Seating die.

"Seating plug 1" is the end of the seating plug I am using to seat the bullet. Is this the right end, or should I be using the end as shown in "Seating Plug 2?"

Attachments

• Bullet.png
    Bullet.png
    159 KB · Views: 67
  • Seating plug 1.png
    Seating plug 1.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Seating Plug 2.png
    Seating Plug 2.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: pabrousseau
I wouldn't sweat that if if feeds fine. Looks like you can use either side depending on the projo.

Screenshot_20220406-225508_Drive.jpg

Try the other side, see if it's better... if not, go back to the other side or try another seating die.

Just make sure you've got enough flare on your cases, if it's seating them against too much resistance it may leave a mark no matter what until you get that dialed...

My Dillon dies do that to the Blue 9mm bullets. You could glue a thin layer of plastic on the face of the seater to smooth it over.

Add two dots and make it a smiley 🙃.

While safety is priority. Many add an unnecessary amount of steps and thought to reloading

Consistancy wins the day

Is it going to affect the projectile's BC where it will hit the wall at 800 yards and fall out of the sky? Just asking for a friend who wants to know...

That seater is the semi-wadcutter. Didn't they include the round nose insert too? If you try side 2 it will contact on the ogive and maybe work better, or could mark up the ogive. In the end it is just cosmetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: greentick