• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 40X Trainer Question

DUCKSHOT

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2009
TEXAS
I'm new to the board and after reading the board here I think I want to invest in a 40X. I currently shoot a 1903 Springfield in 30.06 with a Sport Stock, buy don't own a bolt action 22LR. I think should finally spend the money and get a Remington 700 from G A Precision and also build a 40X Trainer. From what I've read the 40X is as close to the same design as the Remington 700 but shoots 22LR. I plan to start with the 40X as it is cheaper to shoot and possibly to build.
What do y'all think? Am I on the right track?
Thanks

Re: Rem 40X Trainer Question

DUCKSHOT sent you a PM about a 40x.

Also see my post below about the two types of 40x rifles the CMP sold. Will answer most of your question. look to the post form fisherman7. Donald

If you're wanting to build a 40X replica of a GA Precision .308 you will likely spend close to, if not more on the trainer not taking your choice of glass into consideration.

You can get a Rem700 receiver for $350 and a barrel blank for $300 - $350 as a starter for your .308. You'll be lucky to find a 40X trainer rifle or even a barreled action for less than $800 these days.

I love my trainer and feel it was a worthwhile investment but the only thing I'm saving money on is ammo, the rifle cost as much as my .308.

You might check out some of the Sako Quad builds if money is a consideration, nice little rifles. I'm putting one together as a "family" gun.

You do know you are looking at about 800-1000 bucks just for the rifle and design from there? Not any cheaper to build, but do what you want.
Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You do know you are looking at about 800-1000 bucks just for the rifle and design from there? Not any cheaper to build, but do what you want.
Good luck

</div></div>

Had no idea on the price. What do you shoot/recommend?

40x 22s are a dream. in no way cheap, but worth its weight in gold.
<--- (biased)

Question?? are the new 40x 22lr rifles the same recievers and quality as the ones sold by cmp and the what not?

For what Remington is asking for them they'd damned well better be!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my trainer and feel it was a worthwhile investment but the only thing I'm saving money on is ammo, the rifle cost as much as my .308.</div></div>

This is so true, but think about how much money you are saving on ammo! If I'd shot as much 308 ammo as 22LR just the last time I took my trainer out ... we're talking over $100 in savings in ammo right there. It can add up fast if you shoot a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUCKSHOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You do know you are looking at about 800-1000 bucks just for the rifle and design from there? Not any cheaper to build, but do what you want.
Good luck

</div></div>

Had no idea on the price. What do you shoot/recommend?</div></div>
I shoot a 40x .22. Just figured I would let you know the kind of cash you can expect to put out to have one. Get a cheap ruger 10/22 and learn to shoot. Will help you out in any shooting and start for much less cash.
Just my .02

Re: Rem 40X Trainer Question, Go 504T-HB

I have a 700 PSS, CMP 40X STD Barrel and a new 504T-HB. I'd say if you can;t get a CMP 40X from the CMP, go for the 504T-HB. Its a 10lb rifle when scoped with clip feed for about $700-750 on gunbroker. On the Gbroker,CMP 40Xs go for about $800+up and a lot of them need at least cosmetic work and are single shots. Another alternative for a full size trainer is the Kimber 82G from the CMP. That is a 25" bill barreled single shot .22 with a full sise, thick receiver. NIB for $600 from the CMP. I bought one and made a silhouette rifle from it.

Is anyone ever going to make a Rem 700 based .22 action? There are so many people that want the 40x .22's I'm surprised that nobody's making them...

I saw the one from stiller it's bad ass AND its a repeater. only thing is a 40x .22 can be had for around 800-1000 bucks the Stiller (action only)is around 750.

either way its one expensive .22 but damn the cool factor is off the chart for both guns.

ARE THE STILLER 22 ACTIONS AVAILABLE YET? I SEE AN ULTIMATE HUNTING RIG IN MY FUTURE!!!!!!!

Just about any good 22 bolt gun will do for training. The CZ's,Remington 504's, the older 541's, the savage mark II's are all good bolt gun's that will give you good trigger time and that is one of the major things that you need to practice on.
Also if you are shooting at any distance you will need a set of good wind flags. You need to learn to read these flags as the wind is the 22 lr's worst enemy.
larryj

Just talked with Russ at Stiller. He said they ARE working on a rimfire "trainer" which is intended for just what we're looking for. It will be a repeater action with a 700 footprint, based on their previous non-repeater 2500X action, and it sounds like they are making an effort to match everything to the 700 as much as possible. This action might be 6 months away, it might be a year away - that's just the way product development goes. But I've been happy enough with my SPECTRE action that I can not wait for this rimfire trainer version to be available!! Add a KRG X-Ray chassis, a good (Lilja?) barrel, and a CG Jackson trigger, and it will be a great twin for my match gun.

Summarized, and cut directly from their "What's New" page (which I missed the first time I read through their page):

Rimfire

We have 2 versions currently in production.

The Lonestar was a single shot action that fits into a Remington short pattern stock. It had a PTG 40X replacement bolt. They are no longer being produced.

The Copperhead is our true center lockup style benchrest action with dual firing pins, Anschutz style loading ramp, center lug and a unique shroud/firing pin system for perfect alignment. IF you want the best 40X type of rimfire, this is it.

The 2500X is our newest rear lockup true benchrest action. Similar in features to the Copperhead. IF you want the best rear lock 52 Winchester type of rimfire, this is it. It is currently in testing phases.

The next and most likely last model will be a repeater version of the 2500X action. The 40X design did not lend itself to a repeater. The repeater will hopefully be out in early 2014. The 2500X action is much better suited for the repeater

Last edited:
Bring it DF... ;-P

Drop a 52 into an AI/Manners/<insert your specialty stock here>... go ahead, I'll wait.................. got it yet??? I'll keep waiting..............

Single-feed isn't an issue. If you need time with muscle memory cycling the action just dry-fire it. NOTHING mimics a Rem 700 action like a 40X because... well... it is a 700 action.

2723164009_large.jpg

I have a 40X configured identically to my 700 in .260. It's a touch slower to shoot due to being a single shot, but it hardly affects my practice. I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite between the two.

I'm sold out to the concept of being able to set them up to be identical. It was expensive, but I'd spend every dollar again. I probably shoot 10-20 rounds of .22 ammo for every centerfire round. There is just no way I'd shoot as much as I do if I had to shoot (and load!) every round in .260.

I have a 40X in an AICS and it makes me giggle everytime I shoot it. Great fun. Even having one, I still struggle with what the real issue/opportunity in the market is.

Is it that the 40X is so accurate, but it probably is on par with an Anshutz MPR64, right?

Is it that as a true Rem700 version it fits in the stocks set up for those actions?

Why haven't more stocks manufacturers brought out something for either the MPR64 at the high end of the CZ455 at the 'low' end? Yes there is the Tacticool and the Manners version, but as far as I know nothing (yet) for something like the MPR64 or the Sako Quad.

It seems like there is a market there, especially if you just had to make stocks in batches.

Kind of baffling to me that there isn't a CZ455/452 chassis for the AICS.

It would be nice to get some cheaper versions than GAPing a 40X to a repeater (oh, but how sweet it is). Maybe the BlackOps technology will come out of that Black Hole. A cheaper rifle would let more people buy it and let more money go towards the glass for the rifle.

I did break down and have a CZ455 in the manners stock heading to me 'for my son', if Bud's ever ships it.

Is it the mystique of the 40X?

For me, the mystique it is that a 40 year old rifle w/ factory barrel can still compete with the latest offerings.

I probably wouldn't speak the name "B....O.." very loudly in here. Several people here took it in the shorts from their rapid disappearance and it has yet to be rectified that I know of.

I can't believe this thread is still alive but it is relevant. I still love my 40X for close range practice but .22s got so hard to get I'm just shooting my .223 700 Milspec at 100yds for my big bore practice. I reload my own so its cheap and available. You could be in business with a 700SPS Varmint for half the price of a 40X. The difference in price could buy a lot of loading components

This 40X was $400 when the Army surplused them through the CMP. I had Charlie Robertson in Albuquerque bed it into a standard H-S Varmint stock for a Remington 700 varmint.

IMG_4189.jpg

fyk47c.jpg

photo.JPGTwins.JPGOld 40X.JPGMy first two 40X rifles were "US Property" marked from the CMP. Both were the old style Remington 721/722 body style. They fit in a 700 inlet stock with either modification to the receiver or the stock. I chose the moditication to the receiver because I wanted the 700 style trigger. This was done by me expertly in my garage with a table grinder and small metal files. The 721/722 body style rides a smidge higher in the stock than a 700 does but I am super picky. It was a awesome rifle, but I sold it for a USMC Property 40X (721/722 boody style). I did the same mods to it also. The modes were perfect due to having done it twice before. I also replaced the straight handle with a Rem 700 style handle from Pacific Tool and Gauge. Once the new handle is parkerized, you can't tell that it isn't factory.

My two rifles that I have now all are Rem 700 style 40X .22lr rimfires. I think the .22lr is a perfect trainer regardless if your primary rifle is a single shot or a repeater. I also have a few of these and have sold many. More time should be placed on the fundimentals than a rapid rate of fire. I don't shoot at round targets, I shoot at objects like earplugs, print offs of foreign combatants and so on. Bags of plastic army men are awesome. Other than my M40A1s, my suppressor and a reloading set...my 40X rimfires that I built are the greatest investments I have. My rifles are M40A1 configuration. I have a trainers for my actuals. I shoot about 150 - 200 rounds between 25 at earplugs or paintballs - 200 yards at 3" clay pigeons. Then I shout about 10 - 20 rounds out of the 7.62. Just my thoughts.

Last edited: