• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 SPS 300WM

SNIPERALEZ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Guys, I have this NEW 700 out of the box to sight in for a customer with NEW Rem. factory ammo. On the first try to chamber a round it comes to a dead stop 9/10s of the way in and the bolt will not come down. I did a little research and found it has something to do with the extractor.

My question is, dose this look right: the one on the left is the 300 WM and the one on the right is 300 RSAUM. Not one round would go in and I can see what appears to be the problem it's also putting a shine on the surface edge of the headstamp.

I was thinking of putting the dremel tool to it and save the hassle of sending it back or would that weaken something?

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Rant</span></span> Don't they test fire these and what kind of quality control is this!

Thanks for looking and thoughts/comments, Ed

DSCI1118.JPG

DSCI1120.JPG

DSCI1119.JPG

Re: Rem 700 SPS 300WM

hey ed!! its aaron!! im still getting everything together for my 700p! i had the muzzle break installed and am soon to have the action trued. ill send you pics when its all done!

What exactly did you Dremel?

I believe Remington uses two different extractor setups, one rivited and one that clips in. Perhaps you have both types?

10-4!!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey ed!! its aaron!! im still getting everything together for my 700p! i had the muzzle break installed and am soon to have the action trued. ill send you pics when its all done! </div></div>

I had the same problem as you and sent mine back to the factory. Glad it's working out for you. Remington's QC is waaay down from where it used to be.

I took the chance, my customer needed the rifle for a hunt and sending it to Rem. was just not going to cut it! I've never come across this problem from a factory bolt rifles. Hope this is the last time Rem. embarrass me in front of a customer.
Ed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jsthntn247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the same problem as you and sent mine back to the factory. Glad it's working out for you. Remington's QC is waaay down from where it used to be. </div></div>

No shit, I can't believe something like that would make it out of the factory

something so small but what a pain in the ass.. very true, can't believe that would make it out of a Rem factory if they had effective quality control.. poor form.

Thanks, I'll let my customer know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, have you at least taken back the $75 from the rebate?

Remington is giving a $75 rebate on SPS's bought from like January til May, so it might help cover costs on that SNAFU:

$75 factory rebate for Remington 700 SPS rifles
</div></div>

I only see the Varmint eligible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, have you at least taken back the $75 from the rebate?

Remington is giving a $75 rebate on SPS's bought from like January til May, so it might help cover costs on that SNAFU:

$75 factory rebate for Remington 700 SPS rifles
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ed SniPeralez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW I did forward this to Remington today! Standby for response.
Ed </div></div>

Hey Ed...

Although my .300WM (700P) will chamber rounds, my bolt looks exactly like yours. Any word from Remington as to what's up? As stated, mine chambers fine, but extraction, mostly ejection, has issues.

If theres no ejector upgrade that would eliminate this, looks like mines going back to Remington. Your thoughts?

Hey Shooter,
My customer was in a bind to get the rifle ASAP for hunting trip and sending it back would have taken ???? to get it back. If your not in a rush for it, yes, send it back.
And no, no response from Remington yet!!

I believe there is an upgrade to a Sako extractor, claw type, apparently a more positive extraction.
Ed

Thanks Ed!

I'm going to be having GAP install a brake on this rifle and I'll have them take a peek at this problem while it's there. I'd like to use this gun this summer and with deer season in early November, sending it to Remington may be iffy. Who knows when I'd see it again.
crazy.gif

That Sako extractor mod sounds kind of neat. We'll see what GAP comes up with and go from there.

Thanks much for the reply!

Dan

OK Guys, This is getting Ugly!
Here is the latest response from Rem.:
NOTE: If you don't respond within a certain time they assume the problem is solved, sometimes we can't be standing by 24/7 waiting for an answer! By the way this was the only human response I got from them.
I also think the bolt would have been really chewed up when trying to close the bolt with a screw blocking it, as hard as I was tyring, short of using a hammer!!! The brass was showing shiny spots on the head stamp though.

Subject
Rem 700 SPS

Discussion Thread
Response (Danny) 05/10/2011 11:17 AM
The most common cause of this is that a scope has recently been mounted. Most scope base manufacturers will send two different lengths of screws for the bases with the model 700. The longer set of screws is designed to go in the rear, and if they accidentally get put into the front the screw will extend too far into the receiver and block the locking lug from full engagement.

If this has happened the firing process will look, feel, and sound perfectly normal, but the firing pin will not hit the primer. The best way to absolutely rule this out is to take the scope, rings, AND bases completely off the rifle and try to fire it into a berm. If it goes off as normal you can be sure this was the problem.

Customer (Ed Peralez) 05/03/2011 01:01 PM
Hello, How was this "Solved" I have not heard a word from you.
Thanks, Ed
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2535622#Post2535622

Subject Reference # Status Date Created
Loading data...
Rem 700SPS Bad Bolt 110420-000036 Solved 04/20/2011

Here is my responce to Danny on this:
110503-000044 Discussion Thread

Customer (Ed Peralez) 05/10/2011 01:01 PM
Hello Danny, How then did the bolt close fine without ammo? I've installed scopes and did run into that problem and your right the bolt will not close, but this was different the bolt had NO resistance closing without ammo, but as soon as you loaded a round it would dead stop 9/10 of the way in. Did you see the pictures of the bolt? http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2535622#Post2535622

Remington must have recently been bought out by Jimenez arms or mattell (toy co.). This type of shit is ridiculous. Next their call center is going to be in India.

Big green= FAIL

i just bought a brand new 5r in 300 win mag and im having the same issues, i can close the bolt but i really have to push hard to get the boltface to clamp onto the face of the case. this is the first remington i have bought and is probably going to be my last.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ed SniPeralez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used the Dremel it's good now.</div></div>

any more info on your dremel fix? pic or details would be very helpful, i do want to deal with sending my gun back to the factory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cameron L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just bought a brand new 5r in 300 win mag and im having the same issues, i can close the bolt but i really have to push hard to get the boltface to clamp onto the face of the case. this is the first remington i have bought and is probably going to be my last.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ed SniPeralez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used the Dremel it's good now.</div></div>

any more info on your dremel fix? pic or details would be very helpful, i do want to deal with sending my gun back to the factory. </div></div>

I used one with the small fine stone head to <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">carefully</span></span> grind away the shiny portion I have marked in red here:
here.jpg

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Well looks like this is Remington's final answer:</span></span>

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">(I think all answers are automated now, no more humans to deal with, it's sorry!)</span></span>

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is our response.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 72 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

To access your question from our support site, click here.

Subject
110503-000044

Discussion Thread
Response (Logan) 05/18/2011 08:30 AM
We apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing. If in the US, we recommend taking/shipping the firearm to one of the following Remington Premier Repair Centers for inspection.

Send to J & G if you live in the following states: CA, NV, UT, AZ
J & G Gunsmithing
7680 Barton Road
Granite Bay, CA 95746
Phone: 916-786-9200

Send to Allison & Carey if you live in the following states: OR, WA, ID, MT, AK
Allison & Carey Gun Works, Inc.
17311 SE Stark
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: 503-256-5166

Send to Sportsman's Haven if you live in the following states: OH, PA, WV, VA, VT, NH, MD, DE
Sportsman's Haven, Inc.
14695 East Pike Rd.
Cambridge, OH 43725
Phone: 740-432-7243
Fax: 740-432-3204

Send to Mann & Son if you live in the following states: IL, IN, MS, AR, WI
Mann & Son Sporting Goods
515 W Water St.
Pinckneyville, IL 62274
Phone: 618-357-2911
Fax: 618-357-3658

Send to Ahlman's if you live in the following states: MN, IA, MO, KS, IN, SD, ND, WY, NE
Ahlman's, Inc.
9525 W. 230th Street
Morristown, MN 55052
Phone: 507-685-4244
Fax: 507-685-4280
http://www.ahlmans.com/

Send to Sports World if you live in the following states: OK, TX, NM, CO, LA
Sports World, Inc.
6841East 41st St.
Tulsa, OK 74145
Phone: 918-742-4027
Fax: 918-72-3981

Send to Paducah if you live in the following states: KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL
Paducah Shooters Supply, Inc.
3919 Cairo St.
Paducah, KY 42001
Phone: 270-442-3242
Fax: 270-442-5022

Send to Williams Gun Sight if you live in the following states: MI, NY, CT, RI, NJ, MA, ME
Williams Gun Sight & Outfitters
7389 Lapeer Rd., Route #1
P.O. Box 329
Davidson, MI 48423
Phone: 810-653-2131
Fax: 810-658-2140

Include a note of the problem with your name, address and daytime phone number.

You can find additional Remington Warranty Centers for the US and internationally at the following section of our site.

http://www.remington.com/pages/support/repair-services.aspx

You can also take your gun to your nearest Gander Mountain store. To locate a store near you go to:

http://www.gandermountain.com/storelocator/

To view the warranty for Remington firearms, go to:

http://www.remington.com/pages/support/firearm-warranty-information.aspx
Customer (Ed Peralez) 05/10/2011 01:01 PM
Hello Danny, How then did the bolt close fine without ammo? I've installed scopes and did run into that problem and your right the bolt will not close, but this was different the bolt had NO resistance closing without ammo, but as soon as you loaded a round it would dead stop 9/10 of the way in. Did you see the pictures of the bolt? http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2535622#Post2535622

Question Reference #110510-000041
Product Level 1: Firearms
Product Level 2: Centerfire Rifles
Date Created: 05/10/2011 01:01 PM
Last Updated: 05/18/2011 08:30 AM

------------------------------------------------------------- We hope that this information will be helpful to you. If we can be of further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-243-9700, M-F, 9am-5pm EST. Remington Arms Co. -- America's Oldest Gunmaker 870 Remington Drive, Madison, NC 27025 1-800-243-9700 or 1-336-548-8700--FAX: 1-336-548-7801 Visit us in Remington Country at http://www.remington.com/ REMEMBER, FIREARMS SAFETY DEPENDS ON YOU! Whether you are a beginner or an advanced user, our new Safety Section is a must for everyone. http://www.remington.com/safety ------------------------------------------------------------- [---001:003246:33761---]

That's terrible! I hate to see the deterioration of companies and products that were once top-notch.

That truly sucks.BTW it looks as if when they milled out the bolt face somehow it "skipped" over that edge, is that what you think happened? Either that or something mashed the lip of it.Next phone lines to Remington will be "press 1 for English...2 for Mexican....3 for Pakistani"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ed SniPeralez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10-4 Dan, Let us know what GAP comes up with. </div></div>

Hi Ed... Well my rifle is not going to GAP afterall. At least not yet. After finding out that Ahlman's is close to me, I'll most likely be driving it down to have them take a look at it and have them do any "warranty" work to the darn thing. As previously stated... I'll keep you posted as to what Ahlman's says.

I've given up hope on using my .300WM this deer season so I'll be concentrating on my .243 instead.

This is sad. So many people went to bat for remington after the whole dateline debacle and now this. Good luck at getting this resolved.

I don't expect much more from Remington as far as this goes. I'm sure it would have been resolved if I had sent the rifle back to them, but time was of the essence for my customer and I was able to resolve it myself.
Just the idea of something like this getting past quality control!!!
Gracias, Ed

I have a 700 SS SPS 300WM that I just picked up last month so I popped the bolt out to look at it. Mine has had over 60 rounds through it without so much as a hiccup and looks very similar to yours. The shiny part you are referring to is not the bolt but the extractor. The extractors on these rifles are riveted in to the side of the bolt. It looks as though the arc of the extractor doesn't match the radius of the bolt and is protruding slightly, not a major deal, but definitely not acceptable for a new rifle. To say 700's are great rifles is un understatement, they have been used for a long time in the hands of our troops and our hunters and will always be my "go to" gun. Mistakes happen, small differences in tolerances are a by product of manufacturing... oh well.... Remington still makes a great product, I hadn't bought a new 700 in a few years and was pleasantly surprised at how nice the bone stock 700 sps ss win mag shot, easy MOA groups with 180 gr Barnes TTSX.

Glad you got the issue worked out for your customer though, that is never a fun situation!

My 2 cents.

As stated in the first post: <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ed SniPeralez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, I have this NEW 700 out of the box to sight in for a customer with NEW Rem. factory ammo. On the first try to chamber a round it comes to a dead stop 9/10s of the way in and the bolt will not come down. I did a little research and found it has something to do with the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">extractor</span></span>.</div></div>
I only ground off the protruding part of the extractor, probably just out a little further out then yours and enough to hit the head, and it is riveted on.
Ed

Ya, mine looks very similar but definitely doesn't protrude as far as the one you have.

In the long run the extractor protruding may be better, if it sits recessed to start then as the spring starts to tire the extractor will override/ slip sooner and the riveted ones are a PIA to change

I am so glad that I am not alone. Had same problem with this rifle and had to get a m-16 style extractor installed. Took a damn hammer to open bolt one time. Frustrating because the post w/ Remingtons time / resolve policy is absolute BS. They sent me the exact same email. You would think a weapon that serves law enforcement would receive a little bit more attention from the company that manufuctured it.

10-4 Aimsmall55, I could not believe a new OTB 700 rifle getting out like that. But for the benefit of a doubt sake maybe the extractor stayed like that after the test shot if any test shot was done, and stuff happens I know, but still a shame.