• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 Trigger suggestions

cvuxton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2008
Warrenton, VA
I'm shooting a Rem 700 in 6.5 Lapua in a dusty environment. It currently has a Jewell trigger. The dust isn't as powdery as in the Sandbox but fine none the less. At the end of the day, last round, squeeze the trigger...and nothing. It doesn't even feel like the sear cocked. I did some research and found that Jewells may have these problems and it was suggested to pull the action, douse it with lighter fluid, and use canned air to blow the whole thing out. This is unacceptable. Suggestions for a bomb proof trigger that can handle dust?

Chris

CG Extreme for a two stage. I never thought I'd be a fan of a two stage trigger, but all my ARs are wearing Geissele and the bolt gun(s) have or will have a CG Extreme.

Also heard good things about the extreme, never tried one. Haven't had trouble with a Timney clogging up, or my GAP tuned old style 700 trigger. Both have seen dust, and just kept working.

The old style 700 trigger works very well when properly tuned. I've run them for lots of rounds without issue.

I've also run Timney triggers with good results.

Timney is a fine product for ~$125. My partner runs one and it's never skipped a beat. We shoot in all kinds of conditions. Mud, snow, dust, rain, sand etc etc.

I've got a CGX in my rifle. I really, really, really like a 2 stage trigger and love how the CGX lets off really clean. I really really like that it has over .050" sear engagement when it's cocked and your finger is off the trigger. I *don't* like that it does not have an over travel stop.

Timeny. Purchase it from them, and they will set if at your desired pull.

Timney, I run them in several guns. Zero issues. Is all the trigger I need.

Any other suggestions?

Do you want a one stage or two stage? Best to decide that first then figure out which brand/model.

If two stage, CG Jackson and Huber are both very popular. I have both and both are very good. Huber isn't a true 2-stage, but rather a set trigger that feels like a two stage. Tuned properly, either will give you many thousands of rounds of reliable service.

If single stage, I'd find someone who knows what they're doing to tune the Remington stock trigger. They can be adjusted to give you a great feel with excellent reliability. Timney, Rifle Basix and others also make good after market triggers that will serve you well.