• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 Varmint @ Dicks for $350 on Black Friday

Re: Rem 700 Varmint @ Dicks for $350 on Black Friday

Just got back from shooting mine in .308...3/4" groups at 100 yrds...and I'm NOT a experienced shooter. (got a cut above my eyebrow to PROVE THAT!)
laugh.gif

2012-12-04_13-16-01_889-1.jpg

Finally got it zeroed today and tried to ring some steel at 260 yards but my wind reading needs some improvement. I can't wait to start working on some reloads after shooting my zero group (3/4") with some 7.62..

So you Camo'd the stock and replaced the scope?

I'm in the process of inletting a Boyds thumbhole stock for a M5 box mag, and am looking for a 2-300 scope...what's that one?

I'm very happy with mine thus far. I scored a lot deal from a member here on a Ghillie Green Hogue takeoff stock, bottom metal, EGW HD base and Warne rings. I topped it off with an SWFA SS 10x42 Mil/Mil. It has been turning in sub-1/2MOA groups using Fed. GMM 168gr SMK's. Not bad for a grand total of $890.78!

Planning to bed the action and scope base sometime in the next week or two and add reinforcement in the forend to keep the barrel floated.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm looking for a scope for the rig.
What I have done so far...
Rem 700 .308..$350
Boyd's thumbhole stock $100
M5 bottom metal from stockystocks..$210

Question..is there a scope that's made in USA under 300?

Looking at a Redfield 4-12x40 for about $225, looked at a Leupold...(out of my price range),is there any other USA manufactured scopes?

I live in Michigan, nowhere to shoot past 200 yards I know of.

Can someone who bought the 243 version tell me if they will stabilize the 105 amax. I hear conflicting reports.

The scope is one of Midway's 3-10x40 Weaver's. It's a very clear scope and will stay on the rifle for a while but I am in the process of saving some dough for a Vortex. I am not real comfortable with the traditional stock since I have mainly shot pistols and AR's for three-gun and USPSA over the last few years. To fix this I ordered a Choate Tactical ADL stock which will be here today. I could of got a B&C for close to the same price but would then have to order the bottom metal so finding an ADL stock was the key for me.

af, look at the Bushnell 10X 3200.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/950843/...t-reticle-matte

For your purposes, with a decent base and rings, it's likely to be more than enough. Just make sure to bed the action, or spend the money to have it done by someone who knows what they're doing. Inaccuracy is wasted money.

I put a Redfield revenge on mine but it was made in the phillipines

I just went to the range today. 850' ASL, 30 deg F, so bad conditions to stabilize a marginal bullet. The 105 A-MAX shot great. My best was a group at .367 at 100 yards. My load was 40.5 of H-4350, 2.160" measured with a Stoney Point 24 ga. Fire formed Win brass, neck sized. Fed match primers. I shot hotter loads in .5 gr increments, but the group opened up with each increase. I stopped at 41.5 gr, .5 grain over book max. NO pressure signs, but poor groups.
This was with a Dicks special .243, but I changed the stock to a Manners T4A with chassis and put on a Nightforce NXS.

Just got mine "finished" for now...

Added:

Floated Boyd's thumhole varmint stock in "pepper"... (kinda black and grey laminated wood.)

PTG bottom metal. I had to inlet the stock for it, but comes with precut pillars, so the bedding was easier.

Redfield 4-12x40 scope with a "hunter" reticle. (A couple of BD dots)

A KRG "snap-on" bolt knob. (it works and no cutting, drilling etc)

Haven't shot it yet, but it looks nice...(I shot it "stock" and got 3/4" groups at 100 yds.)

Got about $850 into her (presuming I get the rebates from Rem. and Redfield) and it'a all made in the USA. That's important to me...for some reason.

Anyone's rebate even show up on the web yet? Mine still says "no records found". Mailed it in about 5 days after buying it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone's rebate even show up on the web yet? Mine still says "no records found". Mailed it in about 5 days after buying it. </div></div>
Funny but I revisited this thread for the same reason...sent mine in a few weeks before turkey day and still no joy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E. Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PharmShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's bring this thread back around...Has anyone like myself bought this or a similar Rem 700 package and upgraded stock, trigger, etc.???</div></div>

The last build that I did along these lines used a Rem 700 SPS Varmint .308 barrel/action (same as what is found in the ADL Varmint package) dropped into a Manners MSC-T with Surgeon DBM bottom metal:

2012-05-12_17-06-47_835.jpg

2012-05-12_17-06-37_431.jpg

The barrel was also cut to 21", crowned, and a Badger FTE brake was fitted (not yet completed when the above pics were shot). The standard X-Mark Pro trigger was used; no changes were made to the sear engagement or overtravel, but the 2nd weight adjustment (the one accessible by removing the stock) was lightened for a pull of around 3lbs.

With standard load recipes (168gr SMK & H4895 or 175gr SMK & Varget), I was able to get consistent 5-shot groups of 0.75 MOA shooting off a bipod and no rear bag. While I didn't try it, I'm confident that Federal Gold Metal Match would have produced similar results.

What changes have you made to your rifle? If consistency is lacking, I'd typically look towards the stock and bedding first, and then to the ammunition.

</div></div>

Very nice! I was looking at a similar stock.

Danish---- Nice stock..You had to get that bedded right?

I free floated it but didn't sink anymore in to it after finding the stock wasn't very comfortable for me. I purchased a Choate Tactical and am very happy with the price and how my shooting has improved with it. I kept the old stock since I know my dad has an ADL around somewhere that will fit it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone's rebate even show up on the web yet? Mine still says "no records found". Mailed it in about 5 days after buying it. </div></div>

I log into the 'Batin' with Dick's website to check the status of my rebate and I get:
"We have received your submission and it is being processed."

Awwww yeah, looking forward to the rebate money for a Badger bolt knob upgrade...

Sent my rebate in around the middle of October....Nothing yet! Checked the website that was listed- says I should receive it by January 6th.

Doing a full on M40A5 build on mine, will post picks when complete!

I went to pick up one of these rifles to do budget build on black friday but there were a couple of jerks buying 3-5 at a time. Needless to say they didn't last long. The .308 was the first one to be out of stock. I wanted to pick up a 10/22 while I was there too. Sold out of those too. There were so many people trying to squeeze in front of folks and the personnel was nowhere near ready to deal with the mad rush.

Even if you keep copies it doesn't matter. They want originals to post a check for your rebate. And that is a dick move to make a nationals based rebate form to hand out for one day only and have it blurry and unreadable and then have the wrong address on it because they chose to "Move" randomly. $450 is still a good price on the gun but some transparency in their business ethics would be appreciated.

These cocksuckers are shady as hell. The rebate forms are pretty much illegible along with the fact there was two different addresses. I ended up filling shit out online and then mailing it in to az. The forms say stupid shit like your UPC must be taped to the area marked for it but there in fact is no area designated as such. They do everything but just plain tell you your fucked and aren't getting it.

However....I have received an email saying they received my form and are processing it.

We will see

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeet_Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: melloyello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went to pick up one of these rifles to do budget build on black friday but there were a couple of jerks buying 3-5 at a time. Needless to say they didn't last long. The .308 was the first one to be out of stock. I wanted to pick up a 10/22 while I was there too. Sold out of those too. There were so many people trying to squeeze in front of folks and the personnel was nowhere near ready to deal with the mad rush. </div></div>

Well, the joke will end up being on them. Only one per SKU allowed per household for the rebate (meaning you could buy one 223, one 22-250, ect). So if you bought multiples of the same caliber, you'd only be getting one rebate. The guy next to me bought 2 .308s, and he'll only be getting one rebate. I ended up w/ a .223.</div></div>

Well, it does kinda warm my heart to know that they won't be getting $100 back for each one of those rifles. You just brightened my day. Thanks.

Great, I sent mine to the PA address. What kind of operation are they running? I sent in two rebate forms. One to PA for the 700 and one to AZ for an 870 I purchased. I'll have to try and track down some info this week as no record comes up on the linked webpage.

Anyone get the rebate yet

Here is what mine says

" Your submission has been processed and your response has been mailed. You should receive it by February 23, 2013."

Mine is similar:
"Your submission has been processed and your response has been mailed. You should receive it by February 16, 2013."
We shall see

I got to shoot the 243 my buddy bought.
We put it in my LTR stock and loaded up some 95 Bergers.
Half MOA at 150 yards and with out any fuss I was easily tagging steel e types at 1000.
These are a solid deal.

Finally got my refund! That took forever! I picked up the .223 model and am loving it so far. Can't wait to start reloading for it this weekend. I am in a debate as to whether or not I want to upgrade the stock now, or hold out for a Manners/McMillan/PDC Tactical! I may get the factory stock hydrodipped in multi cam and duracoat the action in FDE!!! What do you guys think about possibly free-floating the barrels, and bedding the action. I've heard mixed things, especially about bedding considering it is a composite stock (apparently bonding would be an issue).

Last edited: