• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rem R-15 opinions

summitsitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2008
Crowville, Louisiana
I may be trading for one and I was wondering about them..I know absolutely nothing about AR, except that I want one..Any info on this gun would help a bunch..Thanks,,,

Re: Rem R-15 opinions

Much better options. When I think of AR's, Remington is not the first name that pops into my mind. Or anywhere on my list for that matter.

It's a Remington label on a DPMS AR. Everything you want to know about the R-15 you can find out by looking up what people have to say about DPMS' line of ARs. I have a DPMS AR in .308 and coming up on the 400 round mark, have found it to be an excellent weapon. Nothing bad to say about it yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt.Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a Remington label on a DPMS AR. </div></div>

Yeah that's what I was thinking..That being said...What about them now.

I believe the r-15 is built by Bushmaster, and the r-25 is built by DPMS.

I have a good friend with an r-15. He uses it for a calling rifle whenever we go predator hunting. It's a nice weapon for that.

I have one in 22". And I do believe that the R15 is a bushy. So far (4-500 rounds) it has been a good shooting reliable gun. The barrels is 1-9 twist and seems to like 55gr hornady V max quite a bit. Avg. 5 shot handloaded group 1" at 100 yds.

If I had $1100 to do over though I I would pickup a RRA predator pursuit with a 20" 1:8 twist barrel. The extra length is not necessary for my purposes and I would then be able to shoot heavier bullets. This uses the same barrel as the NM model (which I own) and it shoots circles around the Remington (bushmaster) R-15.

For that kind of money, you could have a Colt. Not that they are the be-all, end-all, but they do hold their value very well, and do tend to be consistently high quality.

The other option is to buy a stripped lower and build exactly what you want. It isn't all that hard to do.

you cant find a better ar platform to buy they are made by bushmaster for remington. both companies are owned by another company my R15 is the ss varmint target it will shoot anything under 1 inch at 100 yds the trigger is a little heavy just waiting for my chip mccormick drop in trigger best ar around

R15 and R25 are great rifles for us. Fudds are buying them left and right and this will help popularize "assault rifles" and make sure the AWB doesn't come back.

I have friends that only buy hunting rifles/shotguns and would never dream of buying a AR15. Paint it camo and label it a Remington and now one of my friends has bought one and another it probably going to.

I have one (18") that I bought when I didn't have an AR and the obamascare was in full swing. It is much more accurate than my brother's LMT, and has been dead nuts reliable. Wish it had a 1-8" twist, but other than that, I'm pleased.

I will say, though, that you can get pretty close to building one with a WOA barrel for the same money. $1031 with all parts coming from WOA except the lower, trigger, LPK. You would probably get a better gun out of it.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the R-15 is the same rifle as the Bushmaster Predator. I recently bought a Predator and so far I am anything but pleased. It looks like it might be fairly accurate if I can figure out how to make it function properly. I have had nothing but FTF and FTE problems with it so far. I've got it greased up like an old whore and plan on taking it back to the range tomorrow for another go round. If that doesn't help it cycle then it most likely has a problem with the gas system. I have not had a single problem with any of the other factory AR's that I have in my stable.

They are good guns and shoot well but are way way overpriced IMO. You could buy a complete rifle that's very well made for about half from most vendors or put one together yourself. It's a modular platform, so if you can crank a wrench, you can build an AR. My point is: don't rush into it because you could spend more than you should.

I bought my lower for about $100, added the parts kit (~60), and bought a really nice RRA upper with BCG, CH, and a sweet heavy SS barrel for $499. I bought a Vltor stock and tube for around $190, but the rifle stocks don't cost as much.

What are you doing with the rifle? Hunting? Target shooting? Home defense? Waiting for zombies?
smile.gif

That question might help out. For $1100, I would look at different options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are good guns and shoot well but are way way overpriced IMO. You could buy a complete rifle that's very well made for about half from most vendors or put one together yourself. It's a modular platform, so if you can crank a wrench, you can build an AR. My point is: don't rush into it because you could spend more than you should.

I bought my lower for about $100, added the parts kit (~60), and bought a really nice RRA upper with BCG, CH, and a sweet heavy SS barrel for $499. I bought a Vltor stock and tube for around $190, but the rifle stocks don't cost as much.

What are you doing with the rifle? Hunting? Target shooting? Home defense? Waiting for zombies?
smile.gif

That question might help out. For $1100, I would look at different options. </div></div>

I thought r-15's were 900 or so pretty regularly...

Cabela's has them for $1049-1499 depending on caliber, barrel length, etc. This price range does not include the .308/r-25.

Budsgunshop sells the collapsible stock version for 920 shipped to your ffl last i checked. Not sure about the other r15 models