• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem700 5R?

I have that exact rifle. It was my first .300 WM and I was "making fire formed brass" by shooting the lowest cost Winchester soft point 150 grain. I was able to shoot 5 shot ragged hole groups at 100 yards. I have not had a chance to stretch it further. A friend of mine is a gunsmith for an "agency" and threaded, then properly fit a the large JP muzzle brake and crowned the barrel so that it's flush with the beginning of the brake. I just got it back and it should be even easier to shoot. I don't think you can lose on this rifle. Others on the internet are asking $1200 or more for it. It looks to have a lot in common with a Sendero for a much lower price. The stock is very high quality and has an aluminum bed that runs from the grip to the end of the forearm.

Yes even in 223 it looks nice. Why doesn't Remington offer this on their website. They should make more like this model instead of laminent and plastic stocked guns.

Yes even in 223 it looks nice. Why doesn't Remington offer this on their website. They should make more like this model instead of laminent and plastic stocked guns.

The Remington 5R rifles are built using extra barrels left over after they fill the M24 contracts. That's why they don't advertise them because they aren't always available. Now, what I'm not sure about is whether or not they are just using extra barrels, or if some of the barrels didn't meet specifications, I've heard both.

Stock looks similar to a bell and carlson m40 with more drop at the heel

The Remington 5R rifles are built using extra barrels left over after they fill the M24 contracts. That's why they don't advertise them because they aren't always available. Now, what I'm not sure about is whether or not they are just using extra barrels, or if some of the barrels didn't meet specifications, I've heard both.

The Remington 5R's are not produced using left over M24 barrels, nor are they M24 rejects. They are a limited production run for a large wholesale company, Acusport. I don't know if the model listed above is also produced for Acusprt. With Acusport's success with the popular 5R, I wouldn't be surprised if other large wholesaler's jump on the wagon.

Last edited:
Huh, that's the first time I've seen one in 300wm. Also that does look like a b&c m40 stock and not the normal hs

The Remington 5R's are not produced using left over M24 barrels, nor are they M24 rejects. They are a limited production run for a large wholesale company, Acusport. I don't know if the model listed above is also produced for Acusprt. With Acusport's success with the popular 5R, I wouldn't be surprised if other large wholesaler's jump on the wagon.

That's what I was told by a representative from Remington. You could be correct, if that's the case then Remington needs to tell their customers the truth.

I have been told the same thing from Remington Reps.
I don't think they would lie about using a barrel that did not meet military specs.

1. This rifle is NOT the same thing as a 5R mil-spec. This rifle is not stainless steel action/barrel as the mil-spec is, in addition, the mil-spec model comes in a HS precision stock

2. The Mil-spec is not made with reject M24 barrels. That rumor was put to bed years ago.

if that is the case Remington needs to give that information to their reps. They are not doing their company any favors.
As far as the Action is concerned, we were talking about the barrels. You can put any action on a rifle as long as it is the correct fit.
My best friend has one of those rifles and I believe the barrel is stainless. I will have to check the action.
I also do not know what the specific standard is that the military supposedly didn't accept them for. could be something silly.
His is a really solid rifle and it shoots great FWIW.

I believe it was Remington that said they're not rejected m24 barrels.

As with any company, if the rep doesn't care he's going to give you false information.

Nvm, after a quick Google, Remington is pretty hush on the whole 5r situation. But the m24 uses a different profile, and is stainless steel, so odds are it's never had the hope of being a m24

Last edited:
1. This rifle is NOT the same thing as a 5R mil-spec. This rifle is not stainless steel action/barrel as the mil-spec is, in addition, the mil-spec model comes in a HS precision stock

2. The Mil-spec is not made with reject M24 barrels. That rumor was put to bed years ago.

Its stainless steel that was cerakoted, the way I understand it.

The 5r milspec that is sold to the general public is produced for a wholesale company called Acusport. The barrels are not M24 rejects. Just imagine if someone got hurt with their "milspec reject rifle" lawyers would be lining up to sue. With all the trouble Remington had with their triggers in the past I would highly doubt they would sell anything that has rejected parts.
The one posted above would even further prove that to the skeptics since the barrel is fluted. The 5r milspec is produced on Remington's general production line and the M24 along with the police models are made in their custom shop. This has been discussed for years. I always wondered if the myth was created to generate hype over the 5r milspec thus increasing sales.

Ceracoated stainless. The 300 I saw at First Stop in Rapid was one of these. Nice factory rifle. Bell Carlson M-40 long action stock. Typical current trigger. Sendero fluted 26" win mag with a nice stock and the finish was very nice.
If I had components I would have grabbed it.

The b&c stock cera coated , fluted barrel, 700 -5r mil spec -(stamped on barrel)
Is a CM steel barrel. Not stainless. I had a .223 version I was not impressed with.

I just ordered the same rifle, 85541, and picked it up from the FFL about a week ago. Only been to the range once and only put one box worth down the tube, but I can say that it is definitely a sub MOA gun right out of the box.

I personally wanted something with a 5-R barrel right out of the box and all I could find before I stumbled on this were your typical stainless finish. I am not too crazy about a stainless finished rifle and the black Cerakote fluted barrel just looked cool to me. To each our own, right? I don't regret buying it at all and can't wait til my Fat Bastard comes in and get the barrel threaded for that.

I am not sure where the whole Remington's 5-R "Mil-Spec" barrels are rejected M24 barrels. For one, if they were rejected by the military for not meeting their specs, then legally it couldn't be called "Mil-Spec", and two, everything I have read about the M24 rifle is that the barrels are made by Schneider out of Prescott, AZ.

Last edited:
Remington makes their own barrels.
Remington actually makes a pretty good tube, the long throats leave a bit to be desired.
My 5r Mil-spec was a very solid shooter.

You are thinking of the Marine Corps, they use Schneider barrels.

Remington makes their own barrels.
Remington actually makes a pretty good tube, the long throats leave a bit to be desired.
My 5r Mil-spec was a very solid shooter.

You are thinking of the Marine Corps, they use Schneider barrels.

You're right. The M40 uses the Schneider barrels. Brain fart on that one.

The b&c stock cera coated , fluted barrel, 700 -5r mil spec -(stamped on barrel)
Is a CM steel barrel. Not stainless. I had a .223 version I was not impressed with.

You are right. These are not stainless action / barrel.
If I had components though, I would still be in for one [in 300 win.].

There is a sucker born every minute...

Rifles like the one I described is a distributer exclusive. There are also 5r riflings reported to be seen in non 5r model guns.

There are a lot of reps out there who are weaving tales.
If a rep tells me something (not a salesman) I would hope it would be true.
In any event it's good to know that it is a quality product and better than what the idiot rep was saying.

There are a lot of reps out there who are weaving tales.
If a rep tells me something (not a salesman) I would hope it would be true.
In any event it's good to know that it is a quality product and better than what the idiot rep was saying.

Agreed. What bothers me though is that it looks like I'm not the only one that was told this. Just like many other companies, Remington is not what they used to be. Just go Academy or any other large retail and look at that shit they put out on the shelves. I know it's basic marketing, try to sell a few more guns by putting cheap stocks, whatever else, on them, etc. Just burns my ass that they would straight up lie about a product I probably would have purchased anyways. After looking through many different forums it looks like lots of guys were given misleading information. I've been seriously considering purchasing a 5R just because I wanted that twist rate and can't afford a custom build right now. I don't even care that's it's not a M24 barrel, that's the kicker, I didn't even ask them, that information was volunteered. Whatever, it is what it is, just eats me up.

Really? Take the sand out of your vagina!

Yeah, your comments really hurt my feelings... Are you serious? Now, had I said "Look guys, I just purchased a Remington 5R with a M24 barrel", then maybe your comment would have made a little more sense. That being said, I believe it goes more like "take the sand out if your clit". At least, that's what I was used to hearing in the Corps. There are better places for drama queens, like Facebook for example. You might actually make someone mad over there. I thought this was a forum for people to learn, discuss, and debate. Not make sly comments like yourself that have no bearing on the topic whatsoever.

Yeah, your comments really hurt my feelings... Are you serious? Now, had I said "Look guys, I just purchased a Remington 5R with a M24 barrel", then maybe your comment would have made a little more sense. That being said, I believe it goes more like "take the sand out if your clit". At least, that's what I was used to hearing in the Corps. There are better places for drama queens, like Facebook for example. You might actually make someone mad over there. I thought this was a forum for people to learn, discuss, and debate. Not make sly comments like yourself that have no bearing on the topic whatsoever.

And you think I'm the drama queen? OK!