• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem700 AAC-SD loads?

chrisward3

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2012
Just grabbed this rifle and heading out for a few months with it...need to mix up some rounds before I leave. Im not looking for THE LOAD (will start load development when I get back), just need a solid and consistent load that will perform as good as possible.

Components:

Varget
Federal 1x Brass
168gr Nosler CC BTHP (168gr SMK data welcome also)

Using a Remington 700 AAC-SD 20" barrel 1-10 twist with Surefire Muzzlebreak on the end (NOT running supressed)

Let me know what you have!

Cheers,
Chris

Re: Rem700 AAC-SD loads?

I am not a subject matter expert when it comes to reloading. However shooting the m118lr aka 175 sierra federal match shoots perfect with that rifle.

I have the same setup without the Muzzle break.

Good luck with your choice

My aac had an open enough chamber it'd fire just about anything. On the ladder test it liked 44 gr of Varget under a 175smk in both Federal and Winchester cases...BR2 primers.

I also ran it suppressed with an AAC 762SD can though...

I did some load testing with mine yesterday at 200yds and these three powder charges resulted in .75-1.0in groups (1/2moa).

Rem 700 AAC-SD, Manners T-4A with chassis system, 5-20x Razor

FGMM once fired brass
Federal 210 primers
Berger 175gr OTM
Power Pro 2000MR
Ogive of 2.22'8 (COAL: 2.85'5)
46.6gr at 2605fps
46.9 at 2623fps
47.7gr at 2669fps
I will fine tune these loads further during this week.

The rifle also likes the same bullet with RL-15 at 43.0gr, and 43.2grs but this combo only nets 2500fps.

Shot my 700 AAC today stats;

(all brass was fed or LC 1xfired)
Primers;fed match
Varget
2.81OAL

Nosler 168 C/C
44.5 grns varget
5 shot average 2560fps
.48" @100(3 shots)

Nosler 168 C/C
45 grns varget
5 shot avg 2659
.44"@100 (3 shots)

175SMK
43grns
2489fps
1.12"@100 (5 shots)

175smk
44grns
.92" (10 shot group) gun loved it.

thanks for all the info so far!

Ive whipped up 150rds at .5 increments between 42-45gr. Hoping ill find a couple 'nodes' within these rounds and can move forward from there. Im aiming for ~2600fps, but accuracy and spread will determine the load i go with.

Finished up my final load development on my Rem 700 AAC-SD with revised load being shot out to 1000yds with real half moa results.
Load Data:
FGMM once fired brass
Federal 210 primers
Berger 175gr OTM
Power Pro 2000MR 47.9gr
Avg FPS: 2670fps

Still working on load development with my AAC-SD.

Best so far:
175 SMK coal 2.800"
Hornady Match brass trimed to 2.005"
Fed 210m
IMR4064 42.2gr
.5" @ 100yds for 5 shots

Anyone shooting 178 amax out of their AAC? Is so loads? I just did some up between 41-4542 grains of varget, went every. 5. My camber os huge so im loading for the mag.

I'm loading the 178 AMAXs with 44.5 grains of Varget in Winchester cases. I've run about 10 5-shot groups with that combo and am averaging about .6" groups at 100 yards (longest range I have access to currently). Was getting about the same groups with LC cases and 44 grains of Varget.

My rifle seems to like the 175 matchkings a little better but I bought a bunch of AMAXs before I found that out.

Don't have a chrono yet so no velocity data.

Has any one tried any heavier bullets? With a 1-10 barrel I would be curious how heavy it would handle?

just picked up the same rifle so Im glad I stumbled on this thread.

My M118LR clone load works great in my buddy's 700 AAC-SD:

LC Match brass
42.8gr Varget
178AMAX or 175SMK
CCI LR
2.805"
slight crimp with Lee factory crimp die

Win brass, increase charge to 44.0gr

Thought I posted in this, but apperently I didnt...

My AAC LOVES 43.0 and 44.0 RL15 with 168SMK's. Shoots one ragged hole at 100yards, and 1.5" at 300yards
I only have load data on the 43.0 load, and it averages out to 2549 across the 10shots I took with it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Angry_Pirate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody using CFE223? </div></div>

Havent tried it yet, but i did pick up a bottle of AR-Comp this week i want to try.

I did a bunch of testing this weekend with 175SMKs. MY AAC really liked 42.4 and 43.1 RL15 (sorry, no chronograph numbers yet), but also really like 44.5 and 45.0 Varget. All were sub MOA. I only tried some varget to try it, i really dont like Varget for some reason, my Chargmaster even has trouble throwing it correctly, but love me some RL15 and I have 7lbs of it to us so I am going to keep trying RL15 and 175 till I hit it. I only tried up to 43.3 (which shot at exactly 1"), no signs of pressure so I might keep trying a little more.

Has anyone tried 155g Sceners in there AAC's yet? I am trying to figure out if its worth even messing with them for a 20" barrel, does it allow you to push them fast enough to really see the benifit of the 155's?

Some great results here. Are people getting these groups with the factory stock? I haven't done any load developments yet, but many have reported that they cannot reach sub moa without replacing the stock first.

Same Rifle, my best load

Lapua Brass (fireformed, neck turned, ...)
Hornady 178 A-Max
IMR 40,4gn 4064
BR-2 or Fed GMM

Extremely changing results due to the crappy stock.
One Day one hole, the other day 1 MOA or even worse...
I ordered the AX AICS chassis and hope for consistent results...

Greetings from the black forrest (Germany)

Blast

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried 155g Sceners in there AAC's yet? I am trying to figure out if its worth even messing with them for a 20" barrel, does it allow you to push them fast enough to really see the benifit of the 155's? </div></div>

I just ordered some 155gr Sierra Palma's. I'll be using them with 8208xbr. Will report back when I get to the range.

so I FINALLY got a Hornady COAL guage, and besides figuring out my issue with 208Amax and my 300WM, i determined, if I am using it right, my AAC-SD has a REALLY REALLY long chamber, testing with both 168SMK and 168AMAX (which is my favorite bullet for this gun), i am getting a measurement of 2.96 to the rifling. This seems REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY long but I keep getting that same reading. I have been loading my 168 loads to 2.815 and getting 3/4 MOA or lower. Does this seem right to you guys? I know I cant take them out much longer with the factory mag, but if I was single loading, should I take my rounds out further? I have never been able to get mine to shoot 175s less than 1MOA for 5 shots and I just bout some 178's BTHP to try and before I loaded i thought I would check. I dont mine single loading if need be.

It depends upon what you want to do with the rifle. This will determine of you should load single and long or shorten them up to feed from the mag. If you are shooting tact matches or even hunting, then you need them to fit in the mag. If you are just slow fire paper punching, then you might as well seat them out until you find a sweet spot. A really long chamber is quite common in factory bbls.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rkaires</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried 155g Sceners in there AAC's yet? I am trying to figure out if its worth even messing with them for a 20" barrel, does it allow you to push them fast enough to really see the benifit of the 155's? </div></div>

I just ordered some 155gr Sierra Palma's. I'll be using them with 8208xbr. Will report back when I get to the range. </div></div>

I shot over 200 155 scenars from my AAC -SD using 8208 XBR. Using between 43 and 46 grains and the ladder method I couldn't get them to group well inside 200 yards. Velocity on my chronograph was ~2780 fps. over 45 grains. 46 grains was over pressure.

I bought an AAC-SD a few months ago and am just getting into reloading...
Did anyone use the Winchester 760 ball powder? Maybe with Hornady's 168gr AMAX?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so I FINALLY got a Hornady COAL guage, and besides figuring out my issue with 208Amax and my 300WM, i determined, if I am using it right, my AAC-SD has a REALLY REALLY long chamber, testing with both 168SMK and 168AMAX (which is my favorite bullet for this gun), i am getting a measurement of 2.96 to the rifling. This seems REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY long but I keep getting that same reading. I have been loading my 168 loads to 2.815 and getting 3/4 MOA or lower. Does this seem right to you guys? I know I cant take them out much longer with the factory mag, but if I was single loading, should I take my rounds out further? I have never been able to get mine to shoot 175s less than 1MOA for 5 shots and I just bout some 178's BTHP to try and before I loaded i thought I would check. I dont mine single loading if need be. </div></div>

my 700P is also very long-throated, I think you will find it is a common feature of remington factory barrels. I shoot 168 SMK's seated just over 2.8". long jump or not, it shoots very well, even with my simplistic handloads. 3 shots are almost always sub-.5" @ 100, 5 shots opens it up a little bit. when it shoots like that, I don't worry about the jump to the lands.

Anybody shooting the 208gn Amax in a SD?

I'm wanting to try it out, been looking for a factory or semi custom load with the 208s to play with before I jump in.

I'm had my best 5 shot groups (.44") with Federal Brass, Win WLR primers, 42.6 gr Varget, 168gr AMAX's with 2.8" OAL.
I have reloaded a bunch more 42.6 gr loads with Rem, Win, and Federal brass, with different OAL's to see which combo shoots the best.

FGMM once fired brass trimmed to 2.005
Federal 210M primers
Sierra 175 gr. HPBT MatchKing
Hodgdon Varget 44.1gr
Ogive of 2.235
Avg FPS: 2600fps

This is the load that worked best out of my AAC-SD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oham1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FGMM once fired brass trimmed to 2.005
Federal 210M primers
Hodgdon Varget 44.1gr
Ogive of 2.235

This is the load that worked best out of my AAC-SD. </div></div>

This is funny, just last week I was 100% decided i needed to find a 175SMK load for mine. My load was the EXACT same as yours above except I use Winchester Brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oham1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FGMM once fired brass trimmed to 2.005
Federal 210M primers
Hodgdon Varget 44.1gr
Ogive of 2.235

This is funny, just last week I was 100% decided i needed to find a 175SMK load for mine. My load was the EXACT same as yours above except I use Winchester Brass.

</div></div>

Nice! what kind of groups are you getting with it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oham1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oham1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FGMM once fired brass trimmed to 2.005
Federal 210M primers
Hodgdon Varget 44.1gr
Ogive of 2.235

</div></div>

Nice! what kind of groups are you getting with it? </div></div>

I thought I had a picture online of it but alas i couldnt find it. Mine LOVES 168s (SMK and AMAX), never could get it to shoot 175s well, but after enough attemps, i found that load to be good enough. Its right around 3/4MOA, not great, but not bad either, happy with it enough to finally make 200rounds of of them to use the last of my 175s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried 155g Sceners in there AAC's yet? I am trying to figure out if its worth even messing with them for a 20" barrel, does it allow you to push them fast enough to really see the benifit of the 155's? </div></div>

I've tried several loads thru my AAC-SD with the 155 scenars, can't hardly get it under 1 MOA. When the 150SMKs, 168VLD, and 175SMKs are all .65MOA or better, that 1MOA from the scenars don't look so hot....LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Ward</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried 155g Sceners in there AAC's yet? I am trying to figure out if its worth even messing with them for a 20" barrel, does it allow you to push them fast enough to really see the benifit of the 155's? </div></div>

I've tried several loads thru my AAC-SD with the 155 scenars, can't hardly get it under 1 MOA. When the 150SMKs, 168VLD, and 175SMKs are all .65MOA or better, that 1MOA from the scenars don't look so hot....LOL </div></div>

I eventually figured out that same thing on my own and sold the rest of my Scenars, i will leave those to the guys with long ass barrels to enjoy

As per the other thread

I have been loading
winchester brass
44.2 grains of varget
sierra 175smks
CCI large rifle primers
2.240 Ogive.

Just shot a group all touching at 100yards.

Load works out to 823 yards so far!

Winchester Brass
44.5 Varget
Hornady 178 Amax
Russian Primer
2.8 COAL

No velocities, but it was an absolute hammer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two-Dogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody shooting the 208gn Amax in a SD?

I'm wanting to try it out, been looking for a factory or semi custom load with the 208s to play with before I jump in.</div></div>

i loaded 100 rounds of the 208gn hornady match rounds and they were pretty impressive. we were shooting the 18" steel gong at 660yrds, and i tagged it on the first shot and every shot afterwards that day at that distance. even let a buddy shoot it and it was his first time shooting anything over 100yrds and he nailed the gong with 3 out of 5 shots. not really sure about grouping size because the gong was pretty pitted by the end of the day when i switched over to those loads. i diddnt load them very hot so they definatly had some drop, but i can make up for that with scope adjustments.. they also work great for subsonic loads!

my loads..
208gr hornady match
37gr Varget
federal primers
lapua brass
seated to a little over 2.8" i think i had them at 2.83 or something.. id have to check.. also diddnt chrono them, sorry..

and for subs, everything was the same except it was loaded with 11gr of trailboss powder. i did chrono the subs and they were at 1080fps at around 3000ft elevation.

Anyone have any updates on their loads? I'm gonna start my first reloads next week and would like to know how these are working out for people.

175SMK
Hornady Brass
2.84"COL
Federal 210M
44.7gr Varget
No pressure signs

Don't have the avg velocity nearby...but I think it's around 2525fps.
Shoots sub MOA out of a McM A5 bedded by Mark at S.A.C.

Last edited:
Tried the 168 smk's. Best that I could get on average was just under MOA. It doesn't like 155 smk's at all.

My gun loves 175 smk's with 44.2 of varget at 2.785 coal. Shoots consistent .65 MOA and I have had several 1 hole 5 shot groups.

Im not a super experienced shooter so I'm am very pleased with what it is putting out.

avg 2,609fps

Using a B&C Light tactical with a timney trigger set at 1lb. Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 BRX

Alittle heavier bullets

Has any one tried any heavier bullets? With a 1-10 barrel I would be curious how heavy it would handle?

168grn bullets are really too light with the 1/10 barrel. they may shoot good but the faster RPM with a light bullet will enhance the imperfections in the balance of the bullet. 175's are the lightest id shoot.
I have 2 loads that shoot excellent out of my AAC-SD. I sort EVERYTHING by weight and bullets by bearing surface also. Waiting for some 185gr VLD's and some 215gr Hybrids to show up with a pointing die and meplat trimmer. When the mail man shows up ill post some 1k loads

178GR Amax, weight sorted to .1gn, bearing surface sorted to .001in and WS2 coated
LC brass, uniformed then sorted to .05gr
42.20gr of IMR 4064
Tulammo primers sorted to .02gr
loaded .20 off the lands
Best group was .159 and stays under .25

For 600yard's this is the best i have found for now.

185gr Lapua Scenar, weight sorted to .1gr, bearing surface sorted to .001in and WS2 coated
LC brass, uniformed then sorted to .05gr
45.00gr of H380
Tulammo primers sorted to .02gr
Loaded .40 off the lands, but shoot about .3in if you load the to mag length
Best group was .157 but stays under .2in consistently

Attachments

• IMR 4064.jpg
    IMR 4064.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 16
  • H380.jpg
    H380.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 16
What does a ws2 coating do?

It's is a dry lubricant coating that you apply to your bullet simaliar to moly or HBN. All 3 coatings have different properties, some good and some bad. It's personal preference if you use them or not. In a nut shell it allows you to reduce copper fouling, increase the amount of powder you use, change your barrel harmonics, and reduce some cold bore shift. Personally I don't like moly because I think it tends to build up more in the bore of your rifle, that's why I use WS2. I have not tried HBN because I have had excellent results with WS2. My advice is research bullet coatings yourself, check out the top name shooters that do coat, and don't listen to the moly bashers. Just make an educated decision. I also just uploaded the first of 2 videos on my YouTube channel about bullet coatings. LRRS2110

Last edited:
is the manners T-4A stock just drop in out of the box or did you do some modification?

I did some load testing with mine yesterday at 200yds and these three powder charges resulted in .75-1.0in groups (1/2moa).

Rem 700 AAC-SD, Manners T-4A with chassis system, 5-20x Razor

FGMM once fired brass
Federal 210 primers
Berger 175gr OTM
Power Pro 2000MR
46.6gr at 2605fps
46.9 at 2623fps
47.7gr at 2669fps
I will fine tune these loads further during this week.

The rifle also likes the same bullet with RL-15 at 43.0gr, and 43.2grs but this combo only nets 2500fps.