• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rem700 Trigger Adjustment question

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I am about to attempt to adjust one of my triggers on one of my hunting guns.
I do not want to buy a new trigger, I would like to adjust the factory one on one of my Remington 700's.

I googled and found "Remington Crisp"
It tells of a pretty easy way to adjust it by just the two small screws in front of the trigger housing.

My question is : after you pick the epoxy or whatever remington puts over the small screws to keep them tight. WHAT SHOULD I PUT ON/OVER THE SCREWS AFTER I ADJUST THEM? I dont have any epoxy laying around. Would a small layer of super glue work?

I was thinking about blue loctite but im kinda nervous to take a screw out. Im not to comfortable messing around with the internals of triggers.

Re: Rem700 Trigger Adjustment question

Clear fingernail polish works perfect. I've done it not second hand knowledge.

Got the finger nail polish and about to go attempt to adjust it. Im going to follow the Remington Crisp article. The only bad thing is my Lyman trigger gauge shit the bed. Will have to go by feel.

I used the nail polish as well. After tuning, my trigger is awesome. You won't be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the finger nail polish and about to go attempt to adjust it. Im going to follow the Remington Crisp article. The only bad thing is my Lyman trigger gauge shit the bed. Will have to go by feel. </div></div>

Use a weighted "hook" on the trigger if you want it to break at an exact weight.

Take a coat hanger, and bend it so a nut/bolt with a handfull of washers on it can hang unobstructed from the trigger, while holding the action vertically. Need to use an accurate scale to pre-weigh the hanger/washer assembly. The problem with this method is it only shows the trigger is breaking at that specific weight, but not the weight you have the adjustments set for (which obviously could be less). Trial and error, so adjust it heavier than the weight and work your way down.

The fingernail polish works fine. Loctite or CrazyGlue require applying heat to remove

Pretty good idea with the weight attached to the trigger. You could possibly use fishing string, less weight.

I use Metalic purple nailpolish on them. Done triggers for several other people. Everyone of them asks what that stuff is when I put it on the screws. I tell them it's a firearms specific thread sealer. It really helps to tell if someone else has had their dick beaters in the thing after I'm done with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am about to attempt to adjust one of my triggers on one of my hunting guns.
I do not want to buy a new trigger, I would like to adjust the factory one on one of my Remington 700's.

I googled and found "Remington Crisp"
It tells of a pretty easy way to adjust it by just the two small screws in front of the trigger housing.

My question is : after you pick the epoxy or whatever remington puts over the small screws to keep them tight. WHAT SHOULD I PUT ON/OVER THE SCREWS AFTER I ADJUST THEM? I dont have any epoxy laying around. Would a small layer of super glue work?

I was thinking about blue loctite but im kinda nervous to take a screw out. Im not to comfortable messing around with the internals of triggers. </div></div>
You dont need to touch the upper screw on the assembly, the bottom screw is for weight, now if you get creep in the trigger the screw in the back will get rid of creep when you turn it in, all depends how light you want it, the lighter the more creep you MIGHT get in the trigger. Old style Rem triggers are very easy to adjust, even I can do it, my 708 is set at 19oz, my 308 was at about 20oz until I lent it to my buddy from work, 1 full turn in took it to about 2.5lbs.
Make sure you test the trigger by working the action really fast, cocking the rifle and slamming the butt on a carpeted surface, etc etc. Then put the finger nail polish to it, and not before you know it completely safe, if the pin drops during any of your tests you need to turn the front(BOTTOM) screw in or the rear screw out a bit.