• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing RemAge Barrel Epoxied

Hundo

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2018
After years of stock bedding and installing pillars I finally did it this weekend....glued the action to the stock. I have done many Rem 700 rifles, but this is the first with the barrel nut used for the RemAge system. I admit, I just plain forgot to put clay in the barrel nut grooves. I have a mechanical lock in a Walnut stock (factory that is being replaced, just wanted to shoot it until the good stock arrives). I have heard of the freezer method and the hot iron method to soften the epoxy, in this case Devcon (A) steel putty. Anyone have experience unlocking a Savage or RemAge barrel nut?

Plenty of release agent...I will send a photo

If its just the barrel nut grooves that are holding it in i would think youd be able to break that little bit of epoxy.

Smack it as hard as you are willing. Had that happen a little to me.

I had one on a savage and a remington, but it was in the good stock.. Didn't have a freezer big enough but a few hard wraps with a dead blow mallet at the front of the action on the action and recoil lug. It finally popped loose but it was a couple hard smacks not a time gentle comes into the picture.. still took some wiggling but it cam loose and the bedding held together just fine.