• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 .223 custom build?

Heatseeker

Private
Minuteman
Hello from Australia ... I'm looking to build up a grunty .223 "back up" (ie, one that's a no brainer to shoot, and that I can toss to a buddy for a weekend) based on a Remington 700 action.

Personally, I have never been a huge fan of .223 (my other Rems are in .308, and a VERY heavy '250), but I have been dabbling with military gas guns of late, andit seems to be great round for punching paper and putting some food on the table.

I have my eye on a "A" serialled Remington 700 BDL in .17 ... after I sell of the stock with floor plate, barrel, scope and mounts and the reloading gear that comes with it, I reckon I'd end up paying $100 for the action.

As much as the availability of cheap mil and sporter 55 grainers appeals, I reckon I'd like to barrel for 62-69 grain projectiles, which would mean a 1-7 to 1-9 twist.

There are some DM bottom metals available locally which take Ruger and M16 mags, and I'll just look around for a second hand HS Precision stock (for some reason, people ditch them for those woeful "Ultimate" sniper monstrositites).

Anyway, and there any thoughts on a "semi tac" .223 Remington 700?

Re: Remingtom 700 .223 custom build?

My thoughts are that the primary advantages to your approach are the ones that are centered on the magazine comversion. Given the inherent accuracy performances of commercial ammo, it's quite possible that efforts toward accurizing may be wasted effort. I would comcentrate primarily on comfort and fit, along with durability and ease of manipulation. A 1:9" rifling twist should be adequate for most bullets of up to 75gr.

What I might suggest is that some thought be given to having a switchable barrel chambered in .222 Remington, for more precise shooting, possibly with handloads. It's possible that .222 brass might be available in times when .223 might not, for precision work it could be a real eye-opener, and the casing shouldn't have really big problems feeding from the same system that accomodates the .223 ammo.

I absolutely applaud your decision to replace the .204 with the .223. I consider the .223 to be far more utilitarian than the .204, which although trendy and accurate, seems more to me to be something of a passing fad.

Greg

I'm a huge fan of the .223, I only shoot paper for load development and practice and mainly just go after critters. My newest semi-tac toy is a .223AI on a R700 & Manners T3 stock with a Lothar-Walther 1:9 barrel with final barrel length at 26.5" from action face to muzzle. All smithing was done by Shane Clancy.

I'm still in the process of fire-forming Lapua cases and initial load development, so I haven't had a lot of oppportunity to try it out on anything really, but it spits out the 69 SMK and Hornady 75 HPBT quite accurately so far
smile.gif

In terms of mags, there is a group buy happening for AICS .223 mags along with the seekins system also.

IMG00026-20090321-1631.jpg

IMG00025-20090321-1631.jpg

Hehe, it hasn't exactly been a 'budget' rig, but it shoots better than I do which is a good booster to my confidence
smile.gif

I think a semi tac/custom .223 is a great idea, but I'm a bit biased as I just sat my SPS Tactical in bedding compound on my McM A5 less than an hour ago.

My next project is very similar, the major difference is that im planning it around a 223 Tikka T3 varmint. It will probably end up sitting in a Manners stock or a Mcmillan A1-3 with a Roedale DM. The DM's are appearing more readily over here aswell, using AICS mags, so in country options are increasing.

JJ

Looking to pick up the action tomorrow and I will be taking it down to the 'smiths to have the barrel cranked off, the action bead blasted and a Mauser type bolt release fitted.

does anyone have thought on barrel length in 1-7 to 1-9 twist for 62-69 grain pills?

I belive that the range you want to get out to will have more to do with the barrel length....my 223Rem is 23.5" factory and I was hitting steel at 820 yards with 55gr Spitzer Sierra's over 26.0gr of Varget....wood ADL stock and 2.5 Leupold.....Tribe's kid's gun was shooting mil-surp LC 223 Rem and was all over the place...threw my ammo in it and it was dead nuts at 820 yards....granted I was walking around pretty good at 820 with 2.5 power scope but at 575 yards it was working alright.....found a few pills in the gravel that just skidded to a stop though......if it is a hunter type rifle I would go away from the DM....shit they already hoild 5 rounds and there is less cost and less shit to go wrong with ADL....that is going to be the BM on my next 3 rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heatseeker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

does anyone have thought on barrel length in 1-7 to 1-9 twist for 62-69 grain pills? </div></div>

20-22"

I've had 2 223AI's and both were 22".....my next one will be a 20"er.

The top rifle is a 22" #6 Broughton (I no longer own that barreled action). Bottom rifle is a 22" M40/M24 Rock Creek.

100_3039.jpg

DSC_1206.jpg

While those rifles are fun to play with....they are heavy. An LTR'ish 223 would be about the heaviest I will ever go again on a 223, even if it's just a range gun. A 9-10# 223 is a lot more user friendly than a 12-13# 223 and its not like you need the weight to soak up recoil....Just my opinion.

I suppose the project's on a roll ... today I bought the rifle and the first thing I did was strip of everything I didn't want on it (I'll get around to cranking off the barrel later).

Gone are the stock, bridge mount and scope, and I'll sell them off to fund the project.

The action's a "A" series 700, and it hasn't done much work (the chequering on the bolt is only a memory on both of my other 700s, which have seen a few barrels). There's what appears to be a few solvent blemishes and the previous owner went and engraved his driver's licence number in to it, but these are only cosmetic, they dropped the price and I'm going to have the action bead blasted anyway:

MT2_1297.jpg

MT2_1289.jpg

Once the tube is screwed off, I'll start work on the action - I was toying with the idea of fitting a Mauser type bolt release, which I have on another of my 700s.

I'll do my homework on a .223 tube and definitely fit a Picatinny rail. Meanwhile, I'll just see what sort of stock finds me - for some reason people cast off some otherwise decent HS Precision Rem factory stocks for those Choate "Ultimate Sniper" monstrosities.

Watch this space!

Felt a Choat on a 223 M700 the other weekend.....funky...."Tacticaler" than the factory plastic or laminate but if you know what a good stock feels like you can't get comfortable...but it was heavier than shit!

My Uber-Tactical sniper system!!!
wink.gif
Shoots pretty reliable at 575 yards with 55gr Spitzers!

100_3383.jpg

The project is now in motion - I've had the .17 tube cracked off and will be screwing in an Aussie made MAB barrel with a one in eight twist and 22 inches long.

The smith has a few spare HS stocks and he'll sell me one for a bargain price.

In the scope department,a mate of mine has a 3-9 Burris Fullfield Tactical going begging, and it should do the trick until something better finds me.

Now I just need to nut out a floor plate/mag and picatinny rail setup.

Once I sold off all the bits I didn't want from the donor gun, the action actually only ended up costing $50, so the project's off to a good start!

While I'm waiting for the tube to be screwed on tp teh action, bits for the [roject are finding me.

A mate of mine had a Burris Fullfield 3-9x40 tactical that was surplus to his needs and I got it for the right price.

MT1_5054.jpg

There are plenty of better scopes around, but they also come at a much bigger cost than what I paid for this one ... the rifle's going to be a non serious plinker, and the scope should balance well on it.

Meanwhile, I was at a meeting of the Royal Australian Regiment Association on Monday and was showing some pics I took of Aussie snipers on a recent outing ... one of the reps chimed in that he owned a "Remington sniper rifle".

Turns out that he had put it in to one of those Choate "Ultimate Sniper" monstrosities, and he said I could have the original HS Precision stock with the aluminium bedding block!

So there ya go - I have a scope and stock, now I just have to work on a rail and rings, and decide what I want to do for a floor plate.

Went down and visited the project the other day and the 22-inch "light heavy" profile 1:8 Aussie made Maddco match barrel has been screwed on to the action, which has been polished, lightly bead blsted and blued:

MT1_8302.jpg

MT1_8304.jpg

Smith rang today and said all the bits were back in the action and it should "go like a rocket" ... time will tell!

Just pondering mag/floor plate solutions now ...

hi is that a Maddco or MAB? as Maddco's are only stainless if so the smith did a good job with bluing the stainless.

I sent you a pm but dont wory about the barrel as it is fitted. if you need rails or floor plates message me.

Okay, it's starting to look like a baby sniper rifle:

MT2_5285.jpg

Mate of mine gave me the HS Precision stock (going to do some reloading for him). It's a DM model that will need some mods around the mag well, but the price was right:

MT2_5282.jpg

I wanted a basic 400 metre (that's about the max range of .223 on small to medium game) shooter, and I'm liking the rugged simplicity of the Game Reaper mounts, which are just about perfect for the job I want them to do:

MT2_5283.jpg

I might eventually give the rig the Heatseeker paint treatment, but right now I'm liking it "au naturel"

MT2_5286.jpg

The rifle's going away next week to be fitted with an Aussie made floor plate that takes AI mags ... watch this space.

So there you have it - a "no brainer" rifle with a bit of grunt which come together for a value price.

Look forward to a range trip once the mag system is in place!

Very nice, I intended to do this with my 700SPS, but other priorities took over (like the 260 I have on order from GAP).

I did put it into an AICS and it shoots well enough to suffice until I can have it properly done.

Well, the plan finally come together, but it has taken a while because I've been building this rifle on a budget:

MT2_1029.jpg

MT2_1012.jpg

Thed floor plate's an Aussie made CNC machined item which takes the new AI .223 mag:

MT2_1007.jpg

Now to shoot it and see how it behaves after a barrel break!

That rifle looks good.
I wish I owned it.
223 is the most fun cartridge to shoot.
What other cartridge delivers long range accuracy in a rifle light enough to carry around?
I would add a Harris or Shooter's Ridge S type bi-pod.
I would put it in a gun case that can accommodate the rifle with the bi-pod folded.
I would take off the lens caps and put on DVORAK INSTRUMENTS soft eye scope lens shades
http://www.dvorakinstruments.com/scope.htm#SOFT-Shade
I would put on an EGW Picatinny rail and use Weaver scope rings for playing musical scopes with my other rifles.
I would put on a soft and stretchy sling with wide shoulder piece.
I would put the rifle in a Dog-gone-good shooting bag with a big pair of binoculars next to it, and shoot rodents.
I would really bond with that rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That rifle looks good.
I wish I owned it.
223 is the most fun cartridge to shoot.
What other cartridge delivers long range accuracy in a rifle light enough to carry around?
I would add a Harris or Shooter's Ridge S type bi-pod.
I would put it in a gun case that can accommodate the rifle with the bi-pod folded.
I would take off the lens caps and put on DVORAK INSTRUMENTS soft eye scope lens shades
http://www.dvorakinstruments.com/scope.htm#SOFT-Shade
I would put on an EGW Picatinny rail and use Weaver scope rings for playing musical scopes with my other rifles.
I would put on a soft and stretchy sling with wide shoulder piece.
I would put the rifle in a Dog-gone-good shooting bag with a big pair of binoculars next to it, and shoot rodents.
I would really bond with that rifle. </div></div>

Appreciate the sentiments, but I all ready own a few "tricked up" Remmys ... I build this one as a no brainer carry rifle with minimum features but plenty of bang for my buck ... and, yep, I reckon me and this shooter will get along just fine!

rem23s.jpg

nice one mate

where'd you get the 223 AI mags from?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Priest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice one mate

where'd you get the 223 AI mags from?

</div></div>

They've just hit the market ... I have contacts ...

Took her out and finally lit her up today ... three years after I acquired the action and 18 months since I screwed the barrel in and stocked it.

Overall - very happy - groups at 25 were one shot holes and I was putting down 2-inch groups at 100 with 65-grainers with a gail blowing at Malabar.

Feed was smooth, although I had to give the base of the mag a knock a couple of times to make sure it seated properly.

Never had a .223 before ... my next smallest centre fire is a 22-250, which is mild on recoil but punishingly loud - the .223 was very pleasant to shoot from a bolt and doesn't have the "crack".

Walked the groups around, and was impressed with the clarity of the Burris 3-9, through which I could pick out .22 holes at 100, and the adjustments proved repeatable.

DSC_8843.jpg

We might get to like each other!