• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 5R .308 milspec HORRIBLE ACCURACY!!!!!

Consistent as in what? 3 rounds, 5 rounds, 10 or unlimited? And what do you mean "almost" every time?

3, 5 and 10 sometimes... you gotta remember, I make mjstak3s just like everyone else and j will pull a flyer in 10 shot groups for sure maybe once in a 5 shot group from time to time.. plus weather conditions affect the shots too.. my point is 100yds with a good rifle gets boring when you learn how to group with it and handloading helps immensely as well.

For me, 5 rounds minimum, and 10 is best, and when I know I'm not all dicked up. Some days I know it's me and I have a shot gun... But when I am on, it will do it without fail. O only have 3-4 rikes i can count on to do that. I agree on flyers at 100 being the man, 600 a close in flyer maybe ammo, outside 1-1.5MOA its the man, 1000 god help you if your not on your shit with good ammo, meaning great fucking ammo to be 1MOA or better, rare, But I shoot alot of irons with a sling. ( just made Midrange Prone High Master.. 98.5% or better.) I expect better with a bipod and bag. Especially inside 600. Lots of FClass guys can hold .5 MOA for half a string, but nobody has done it for 20. ( FClass Xring is .5 MOA, record is 200-16x i think. maybe 15.. at 600) Where as the sling shooter record (1MOA Xring) record is 200-21x ( last X was to break old 20x record) my Best 600 sling and irons was 200-17x which on the Fclass target would only be a 197... Tough target. At 100, you should expect .75 or better with a good rifle and a great load and great consistent technique with the bipod and bag for 5 shots. Strive for .5 or less. You can do it! i have heard the old "3 tests the rifle, 5 tests the shooter" i can agree with that to a point for someone that doesent practice much, but really you want to be able to push your self to 5 or more, then your testing both. my best rifles best groups of 3 or sometimes 5 are just ridiculous, me being lucky the rifle being well made, and I have one that has shot several 10 shot groups that were under .5, but still above .4. Reality is from a machine or return to battery fixture that same rifle would scare you how accurate it was. Another shooter might do the same.
But again, refer to my signature.... If the man can't do it, the rifle can't either.

Off topic for a bit, but back to normal. Most 5Rs are great shooters, some exceptional, some are... Well factory Remington's.... You know, Monday guns... 5Rs are like a box of chocolates... And all that.

But I love mine.

Moboost I'm with you on this one everybody shoots 2s and 3s all day long, but you never see any targets w 20-30 rounds on one sheet of paper? And your right where we're all these shooters at when the 100 yd challenge was going on? It pisses me off because when I first started shooting I would read these forums and was let down by my performance at the range. But when you really dig around the net you rarely and I mean RARELY ever find anyone that can prove real consistent accuracy.

moboost,

You're right there are darn few rifles that will shoot .5 MOA for 30 rounds. I shoot and test 5 round groups and can say that the real issue is what the shooter can do, shooter fatigue, and what the ammo can do. You test is a good one.

I HAVE over 30 rounds loaded, so will have to give your test a try. I've had sub .100" inch groups, but doubt I could hold it for 30 rounds...seems the loose nut behind the butt-plate is the problem.

Good post...

Wes

moboost,

You're right there are darn few rifles that will shoot .5 MOA for 30 rounds. I shoot and test 5 round groups and can say that the real issue is what the shooter can do, shooter fatigue, and what the ammo can do. You test is a good one.

I HAVE over 30 rounds loaded, so will have to give your test a try. I've had sub .100" inch groups, but doubt I could hold it for 30 rounds...seems the loose nut behind the butt-plate is the problem.

Good post...

Wes

The idea is not mine, Elfster1234 ran the challenge : http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ard-bolt-action-6groups-30round-shootout.html

I won the grand prize, with the rifle that shoots .1s off the rest; first time shooting off a bipod and a clean barrel was a real challenge - and took a while to settle:
2gybm13.jpg

Same rifle from the rest:
28gtez4.jpg

Basically, what I am saying, the only thing that I find boring about shooting .5 MOA at any distance - is hearing about it from the people that don't know what it means or what it takes.

Last edited:
The idea is not mine, Elfster1234 ran the challenge : http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ard-bolt-action-6groups-30round-shootout.html

I won the grand prize, with the rifle that shoots .1s off the rest; first time shooting off a bipod and a clean barrel was a real challenge - and took a while to settle:

Same rifle from the rest:
[img]

Basically, what I am saying, the only thing that I find boring about shooting .5 MOA at any distance - is hearing about it from the people that don't know it means or what it takes.[/QUOTE]

Nicely done! :D

Have you changed out your scope? I had a Leupold that the reticule would wander, and gave me fits. I put a proven scope on that rifle, and got small groups for my effort. Leupold fixed that scope, and I sold it. Went to Nightforce, and now to a Razor. J

Very nice.

My 5R with 175's typical 5 shot,

Typical 5 shot when I dick it up... You know the "Flyers" ;)

My favorite rifle right now is a Barnard P 6XC in an eliseo. The stock is still needing adjustment, and if its not right it's a horrible thing... But, these 10 shots here were after 2 test fires at the shop in a trap, 5 rounds to zero rifle and then this. I didn't look until I was done. Twn rounds, iron sights, prone with a sling. Between .4-.5 MOA. Less than .5

I almost needed new pants. It's done this over and over again. Here is a 75 shot group, yes,75, fire forming 22-250 brass with 2 different bullets thrown charges. One bad shot, no adjustments. Same thing, sling prone irons. All straight through to build endurance in the position. That's a nickle in the picture.

Same rifle with thrown charges of RE17, 40.0 and moly 115 DTACs. 600 yds. Wind was back an forth about 1.25min. I got lucky and stayed ahead of it and just got one off at a switch, just out the left. The other two were me not holding elevation. Clicking it in the whole string, just a lucky day with a good wind call. 200-17x 5 sighters and a few shots of 105 noslers to get rid of extra rounds after 20 for record. The unpasted shots are the actual ones for record. X ring is 6in. 1MOA.

I can't mount a bipod to it right now but I think I should. Put a scope on it and see what it does. It's a nice shooting rifle. Becoming a fan of 6mm's

Last edited:
it has to shoot <0.5-MOA all day at 100-yards to be consistent. It might hit 0.25-MOA on occasion, but needs to be <.0.5-MOA i.e. "clover-leaf" everything.

Ry

If your going to be rough on it I'd suggest a SWFA Fixed 120,12,16 or 20 power SS for $299. Also watch the YouTube by Gunwerks on improving the accuracy of this very rifle. They turned it into a tack driver for almost nothing.

Another rem out of the box that doesn't shoot , Wow . Big surprise........sigh.

Tacsniper: What I found with the stock 5r is that one needs to seat the bullet pretty long to get it to shoot. I found with 175SMKs I need to seat OAL @2.87 to 2.86. I measured the distance to the lands and got around 2.895 just a tad longer than it makes sense to me to seat. If you can get some one to reload for you and put in 43 to 43.5 Grains of Varget and seat to the OAL of 2.85 see what happens. I realize that OAL does not mean much when one wants to measure to the Ogive but for the purpose of this question this rather simplified answer may work for Tacsniper.
-Dan

Do you have any pictures of the brass that has been shot from the rifle? I have seen a few of these come from people who thought they were going to be .5 MOA all day long, and depending on Remington's tooling, they may be lucky to get that. The 700 design is very good, but countless gunsmith's don't work on the 700 action because it is perfect, quite the opposite. In saying that, it is not a knock against Remington. The firm can put out a product that can be upgraded at a later point in time to increase performance (ability). Problem is you don't know if you are getting the first action after retooling, or the last.

It's not all about throwing money at a problem to get a solution either. I have seen some guns have minimal improvements after blueprinting the action, other accounts have been vastly improved. Point is that it can take some time to try out bullet/powder/length reloads to try to find a sweet spot. Other issue is blueprinting the action (and getting a new barrel chambered and installed) will set you back another $800-950, and you won't have the "tactical rifling" when it is all said and done.

In saying that, my point (however vague I was) is to continue to try and find an accuracy node and hone in on it, as it sure beats the hell out of dropping another $850 on the gun, and being $2K into a stock remington. Aside from that, I think you have gotten good advise regarding removal and reinstallation of the stock, and torquing to 65 ft lbs.

Hey guys. I done what y'all recommended and retorqued the ring caps to 20in lbs. and the ring cross bolts to 65in lbs. as well as the action screws. I then ran about thirty rounds of 147gr. FMJ's through it and these are the groups it started printing with the millet still attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 36
Hey guys. I done what y'all recommended and retorqued the ring caps to 20in lbs. and the ring cross bolts to 65in lbs. as well as the action screws. I then ran about thirty rounds of 147gr. FMJ's through it and these are the groups it started printing with the millet still attached.

100 yards, correct?if so that looks like an improvement over your previous outing. Perhaps you have a rough barrel and simply getting some bullets through it is helping clean it up.

'til it starts throwing rounds or loses accuracy. You haven't allowed it to reach equilibrium, so that might be 100+,... Don't even boresnake it unless you've inadvertently dropped the muzzle in the dirt, or had dirty ammo, etc. in the chamber/barrel. If you must clean it, use a good CARBON cleaner with a nylon brush, not something that is going to take out the COPPER and see how it shoots after a few fouling rounds - in my experience, it will return to what it was doing for another 100+ rounds. Reserve the use of a copper cleaner for when you aren't returning to accuracy after using the carbon cleaner - this could be several hundred rounds(!) At which point, you'll clean it with a copper cleaner and have to put about 20 rounds down the tube to reach the copper equilibrium I'm talking about and it'll start shooting bugholes again. Unless you're using really old surplus ammo, todays powders are not corrosive and copper is your friend, so don't worry about your barrel,... let it be. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but cleaning is often overdone and hurts accuracy,... especially the use of copper cleaners.

From your last post, I can surmise that you don't reload and are restricted to use what you can find at an ammo supplier. In that case, try some different ammo once you've sent a bunch of the stuff it doesn't seem to like down the tube i.e. reaching copper equilibrium in the barrel. While Fed Gold is certainly a good brand of ammo, and they try to keep the tolerances tight from batch to batch, it doesn't mean your rifle will like the batch you purchased. Guys who shoot .22LR competitively will try all kinds of different ammo and batches of ammo in an effort to find the ONE batch their rifle likes as they can't reload the rimfire cases,... Only THEN will they buy a truck-load of it.

If you're ever going to start reloading, the .308-Win is the perfect starter caliber - tons of components, and time-tested recipes to utilize. Again, 175-SMK's over 43.0gr of Varget is a great start. Pick up one of the many reloading kits available from a reputable manufacturer (Redding, Hornady, RCBS, Lee,...etc.), a set of good dies, some bullets, primers, and powder and go for it,... You'll REALLY see how accurate it can be as you can now tune the load to your rifle.

Ry
That is some very good advice there. I have one of those older 700 VSF's (tan HS Precision stock, 26" medium-heavy fluted barrel, 6R 1:10 ballard style rifling, they don't make this rifle anymore). It was marketed as a "varmint rifle" in .308. I didn't know anything when I bought it. I already had a really old Ruger M77 "All Weather" (with that weird flat zytel stock) in .308 that I had bought used 12 years previously that was a 2MOA rifle with 168 grain FGM—on a good day, with a tail wind, holding your tongue "just so". That's all I knew when I bought the 700 thinking that I had maybe just bought my way into sniper valhalla by way of the back door (this is a joke, I'm a 61 year old gimp with diminishing eyeseight).............that, and it has a left-handed action, and I'm left-handed, so what's not to love? I mainly bought it because of the left-handed thing (I'll never buy another righty, to much of a POA), and didn't really realize the potential until after I bought it.

There are three loads that shoot respectably out of it (so far): Black Hills 175 grain Match; Federal Fusion 165 grain; and a handloaded 175 grain SMK over 43.5 grains of varget (Remington brass, CCI LRP). The Black Hills is consistently sub-MOA, .5"-.75" range. The Federal Fusion has done groups as small as .5 MOA, and as large as 1.5 MOA, which is fine for the intended use of whitetail/hog hunting I wanted to use it for. The handload shoots .375" groups, which is my particular huckleberry. All of these were shot at 100 yards (Elm Fork range in Dallas), which means they don't mean anything past 100 yards. Unfortunately, I don't have access nearby, at a price I can afford, to go shoot a ladder test at 300 yards.

But I am responding mostly to say that what works great in one bolt rifle may not work well in another. About a year ago, I bought one of those lefty ruger Gunsite Scout rifles. I thought it would make a dandy hog-hunting platform. The part of Texas that I live in doesn't usually afford longer range shots, and I have yet to have a shooting lane longer than about 200 yards, most being more like 100-150 yards or less, so I thought the idea of a lightweight, short and handy bolt action with a decent long eye-relief scope on it would be pretty cool. It also has a 1:10 barrel, and tapers down to a slightly heavier than sporter barrel. I have yet to find a load that shoots very well in it. For sure that 175 grain SMK handload of mine that shoots such pretty little groups out of the Remington is wasted on the Ruger. 16" of barrel just isn't enough to get the most out of that load, I think. Probably the best results so far have been from the 165 grain Federal Fusion, which produces 1" to 1.5" groups. Black Hills 175 grain match just keyholes out of that barrel, so I'm beginning to think that heavier in a 1:10 16" barrel is not necessarily better. I'm going to focus my attentions on 155-168 grain bullets to see if I can get a little extra velocity along with some accuracy in that rifle. It may be a waste of time......or not. Time will tell. But just because a load works well in one rifle, doesn't mean it will work well in another, even if both rifles have the same length/twist barrels, even if they are both the same model off the same assembly line.

Yes 280nosler, these are all 5 shot 100 yard groups using the same federal gold medal match 175gr. SMK ammo I started off with. Front supported by sandbag and rear supported by my non-firing hand under the butt of the stock in the prone position from the bed of my pickup on a shooting mat. Atlas BT-10 bipod is entire. When the groups started improving I went straight from the 100 yard sight in target to the gong at 600 and didn't stop anywhere in-between! First 5 rounds were all 5 hits with a 1.2-2mph wind varying from the 9 o'clock which I didn't redial for between shots. As you can see from the pictures of the gong you can see where the wind picked up and fell off. The far far right edge hit the wind gusted on me then two shots later fell out completely which was the far left hit. I put two in the same crater almost in the same hole!!! I would say if it weren't for the wind that would have been a nice group at 600! Gong has 14" body and 6" or 8" head, can't quite remember. Target body is just slightly over 2moa at 600 and head is 1moa at 600 if it is a 6" head. Rifle was on a bag in the front and rear at 600. I think it's most definitely getting better the more I shoot it! What do you guys think? Thanks again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 28
I don't guess the other pictures of my groups posted. Here they are.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 28
You guys are better than me, here is a 13 shot shot group @100yds with my 308. I shot this group about a month ago or so.

Wow, philip61, I'd say that's one IMPRESSIVE group, especially for 13 rounds and assuming the one stray was a flyer! Holy smokes that's some good shootin?! Is that a custom rig, or an accurized production rig?

Wow, philip61, I'd say that's one IMPRESSIVE group, especially for 13 rounds and assuming the one stray was a flyer! Holy smokes that's some good shootin?! Is that a custom rig, or an accurized production rig?

Custom rig. Long story. Here is the short version. Saw this rig advertised here on the hide. Contacted the seller, made the deal. The seller said the story behind the rifle was this. There was a total of four made for the Dade County SWAT team in "94". In 2007 they put these up for auction of some web site he found. He bid on one and won it. He said it looked as though it had not been shot much. He put about 200 rounds down it and said it was a hammer. In 2011 he put it up for sale here and I bought it. I have all original paper work. It came from a company called "Accra-Liance Sniper Systems". I have looked in the entire internet and can find nothing on this company. But he was correct about one thing. It is a hammer. below is a pic.

IOR 3.5X18X50, it had a Leupold 10X on it when I got it, I bought a Nikon 2.5X10X42 with a mil-dot reticle, nice scope but wanted a tad more mag. So I ran across the IOR here on the hide also. I have been happy with this set up ever since. I have a place where I can shoot out to 600. I plan on seeing what kind of groups I can get @ that range pretty soon.

Post on this thread how it does at that range. I would personally like to know. I'll update again when the bipod gets here and winds cooperate so I can try and print a 1moa group at 600 or better!

I've never seen a 5R that didn't shoot, up until this thread and 6dshooter's mention of his. Glad to see it's shooting better.

Thanks man. Me too! I'm hoping it continues to get better!! I think with better glass it would get better also but the millet is actually "fairly" decent for a "beginners" scope.

Try shooting with a Harris bipod and a rear bag , keep shooting the rifle you might need to get used to it to start seeing good groups.

How many rounds through the barrel now?

I feel for you since I'm in a similar situation. Started out with the first 30 rounds at about 2-3moa. After adding quality rings, bedding, Timney, Harris bipod and an HS stock it's calmed down to a 1.375 moa at only 81 rounds through the barrel. It's not an 5R so if I can shoot under .8moa I'll be happy. BTW I've only shot PPU 145 so far but have some Match Hornady 168 grain ammo for my next outing. I think I'll follow your lead and shoot more 145's first before I see what she can do. Great information in this post, I feel much better now since I'm new to this type of shooting.

Thanks man. Me too! I'm hoping it continues to get better!! I think with better glass it would get better also but the millet is actually "fairly" decent for a "beginners" scope.

I don't have a 5R, but I had a Millet TRS on my R700 SPS AAC-SD. It shot "ok", but still didn't have a lot of rounds through it. After reading and hearing about the Millets losing zero and the dials not matching up too well to the reticle, I decided to go a little higher end on the optic. I ended up going with a Bushnell ERS (3.5-21x50 and 34mm tube) after reading some good reviews on the glass and the reasonable price. I believe the HDMR is the same as the ERS but with 5 mil turrets (instead of 10) and no zero stop and at a better price point. I've seen them up for sale for around $1200. There's an ERS for sale right here on the hide right now.

As far as breaking in procedures, I definitely believe in throwing rounds downrange before expecting anything good. With the rubber Hogue stock and the TRS and only maybe 40 rounds through the rifle, I was shooting 2 inch groups at 100yds. I dropped the action and barrel into a Manners T4A w/mini chassis and topped it with the ERS in Seekins rings on a Seekins 20moa base and after zeroing and a few 5 round groups using American Eagle M1A (7.62x51, 168gr OTM), I shot 5 rounds of SWA 175gr match and shot the group in the attached pic. I'm hoping that more rounds tighten up the groups a bit. Also going to start load development soon to improve the groups further.

Good luck with further development on your stick. Nice hits on that 600yd gong!
zero.jpg

My 308 Win load

175 MK
IMR 4064 @ 41.7
Fed 210 Match
FC gold medal match brass

I've got an atlas BT-10 bipod on the way and it is close to approaching 100 rounds down the tube now. 80-100. And so far the millet is doing its job. I wouldn't say it's the clearest scope I've ever looked through by any means but it will suffice to get me by until income tax till I can upgrade. I have a timney 510 in my rifle set at 2.5lbs. The best non-stainless barreled gun I've ever owned was a remington 700 SPS tactical with 1-12 twist, it LOVED 1964 production lake city 168gr. HPBT match ammo!!!! You can still find some of that ammo on gunbroker from time to time! Try and get your hands on some and see how it shoots and holler back at me.

Tacsniper,

Good to see your Remington is getting there. I think it's interesting that it indicates non-custom barrels take some rounds to reach their potential, most rifles are cleaned too much rather than too little and that trigger time seems to fix rifles without any gunsmithing. I think some of these ideas have been promoted by posters on this site.

I'm also in agreement with MoBoost. Elfster's threads on semi-autos and bolt-guns, as well as BM11's thread on rimfires, are directed at the "half inch all day long" rifles and shooters. All sub .5" groups on six targets of five rounds each probably means at least one group in .2"s and an average in the mid to high .3"s. If anyone can do that with a tactical rifle, you're a hell of a shooter with a hell of a rifle and the right load.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. That's all I'm going for here. If I can keep it at 1moa or better ill be happy. A deer's vital area kill zone is 1moa at 1,000 yards!

Getting better

Hey guys been a few weeks. I got the rifle skim bedded into the stock with marine-tex going roughly an inch and a half forward of the recoil lug in the barrel channel to support the chamber. I got my atlas BT-10 bipod in and got it on. This 5 shot group was at 102 yards off bipod and rear squeeze bag. I stabbed the bipod feet down through the inch of sleet we got here last Friday which enabled me to load the bipod really well. Same ammo federal gold medal match 7.62x51 175 grain Sierra matchking. Environmentals were: 32.7°F, 29.70InHg baro pressure, 2mph wind from 12-1 o'clock, 100%RH. I also moved the scope back one slot on the rail when I reassembled all of it from the bed job as I felt I may have initially been straining a bit to get a good sight picture. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 48
Terrible! You better sell that thing...to me...for cheap. :p

Hey guys been a few weeks. I got the rifle skim bedded into the stock with marine-tex going roughly an inch and a half forward of the recoil lug in the barrel channel to support the chamber. I got my atlas BT-10 bipod in and got it on. This 5 shot group was at 102 yards off bipod and rear squeeze bag. I stabbed the bipod feet down through the inch of sleet we got here last Friday which enabled me to load the bipod really well. Same ammo federal gold medal match 7.62x51 175 grain Sierra matchking. Environmentals were: 32.7°F, 29.70InHg baro pressure, 2mph wind from 12-1 o'clock, 100%RH. I also moved the scope back one slot on the rail when I reassembled all of it from the bed job as I felt I may have initially been straining a bit to get a good sight picture. What do you guys think?

Can someone please elaborate on the sighttron scopes please? I have heard of them but know nothing about them. I like vortex's but am in love with the large tube and large objective on my millet for the extra light transmission for low light shots although I've always said the glass leaves something to be improved upon! But what do you expect from a $500 in it's category?! Will the millet suffice for a long range deer hunting scope till I can do better? It will be in a foam padded hard case as it rides in and out on four wheeler or slung across my back!

I'm shooting with both Vortex and Sightron scopes. Can't afford the high end stuff so I have to go with what works very well for the dollar spent. Both scopes are MOA scopes in 6-24x50 and 30mm tubes. The Vortex is a Viper HS, the Sightron is an S-III MOA-2. I've shot Leupy's, Nightforce, and S&B scopes. Although none of them hold a candle to the S&B the Sightron comes close enough to a Nightforce to make the difference hard to see. Sightron has 100 minutes of elevation while the Vortex has 60 minutes, I think. The minutes of elevation difference means a lot when shooting distance and in what rail you will have to buy to get there. I'd buy another Sightron again over the Vortex if I had a choice between either one and looking for another scope. I really like the Sightron.

Thanks blurry6 and mayhem52! I'm going with the sightron 8-32/56 tactical turrets and going to fab my own homemade zerostop like some of the guys here on the hide did. I'm going to try and get some rounds on the 10" gong at 600 today before work if possible. I'll post pics if I make it to the range today.

Nice group. Looks like it's coming together for you.
rem700-5R-1.jpg

My groups are tightening up as well at 113 rounds (82 since last cleaning).

Put 46gr of Varget under aa 168 SMK in a WIN case. If it doesn't shoot this into a lil hole, "take it back" Shot many a 5R, and own 2, sent 1 back due to cosmetics only. They all have shot thus far, even when not sitting in vblock very "straight"

So many stock rifles shooting .5s , 4s , 3s and even 2s .... got to wonder if GAP will be out of business by Xmas.

Just kidding. :)

Seriously though, what do you guys consider "consistent .5 MOA"?

If I remember correctly there were only a handful of rifles/shooters that could do it: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ard-bolt-action-6groups-30round-shootout.html

I am not picking on anyone in particular - I just don't understand why every other thread is watered down with completely unreasonable expectations.

For a mass produced rifle barrel - I believe sub-2MOA is good, 1MOA +/-.25 is lucky. When you start hearing .5 and bellow, especially in non-specialized caliber (BRs, PPCs, etc) - one has to question credibility of such claims, no?

SO true...the accuracy claims here, and on almost every other thread, are ridiculous.

I am glad she hammers now. I want one of these and held off after this thread started. I was hoping it was break in. With that 5r rifling I suspect that was the case.

Mine sprayed M80 for the first 50 rounds then sub moa with fgmm. With handloads it will print .6s pretty consistent if I am. Plenty of .1 3 shots and .2 5shots but its pretty dang consistently less than 3/4moa. 6 5 round groups tests the shooter more than the rifle imo.

For starters stop that cleaning nonsense, and shoot it more, need more rounds through it, 30 rounds is not enough to get the barrel shooting good. Usually takes anywhere from 60 to 120 rounds, but even then that could vary depending on your barrel. Oh and don't bother cleaning it even after those 120 rd's, I have shot close to 200 rounds through my rifle and I haven't cleaned it yet and it still shoot's half moa or better.

1MOA will be fine, as long as the OP hones his skills. I was a BR shooter for years, and if it was over .5" @ 300, something was wrong. I know the 308 packs more punch than my 6BR or my 6.8spc, and I took my furthest shot with a 1 moa 6.8 AR this year at 502yds. My 5R, with handloads is a 1/2 minute gun, and took a ghog at 702yds. When shooting at these distances you should be able to get more than 1 shot off, and spot your 1st, and make adjustments.
I have always had a 200yd range in my lawn, and a 500yd range less than 100yds from my house, and 85% of the people that say their gun is a 1/4 min gun, ends up shooting a 1+ moa group @ 100yds. It seems every gun out there is a one hole gun, until it comes to a match. I do have a cpl 6BRs, 6PPCs, and straight 6mm's that will shoot one hole at 100, but they are all running a Hart/Krieger tubes. Shooting thumbtacks at 100 is not a problem with a good BR rig. It's when I get into the larger cal guns and Magnums that "I" have trouble getting good groups. I haven't been shooting LR but a cpl years, and I'm still learning. Just keep asking ?s here, and other "good" forums. (accurateshooter.com, longrangehunting.com etc.) The best way to learn is go to matches, listen and watch, put rds down range through your 5R, and a 22. Never go long without shooting lots of 22lr, and dryfiring. You will only get better.

No disrespect intended, but Remington quality has slipped since they were bought out. It's entirely possible that you got a bad barrel.

The fact that your shooting match ammo doesn't mean much if your rifle hates it. My 308 will drill holes all day long with 190gr anything. Drop to 150-170 gr and it starts spraying all over the target. Drop down to 110 grain Halfjackets on top of 42grs of 4064 and it's scary accurate. Your rifle might not like anything but 220 gr Roundnose. You'll never know unless you experiment.

Hey guys. I just bought a brand new remington 700 5R in .308. I shot 30 rounds through it to break it in using the shoot 1/clean method for 5 rounds then shoot 3/clean for five 3 shot strings then shoot 5/clean for two 5 shot strings. It took about five rounds to get on paper and zeroed and from there shot two groups. I immediately replaced the X-Mark Pro trigger as soon as I bought it with a timney 510 set at 2-2.5lbs. I'm running a PRI steel one piece base with 20moa torqued to 20in-lbs and a millet LRS in steel v-tac rings torqued to 30in-lbs with the cross bolts torqued to 50in-lbs! I'm shooting federal gold medal match ammo in 175 grain that is marked 7.62-51 instead of .308 which is the exact same ammo as lake city XM-118LR. I'm shooting from sandbags in the prone position with a zero value wind. The two groups I shot are 3 shot groups that run 2MOA AT 100 YARDS!!!! I have read where guys on here are shooting .2-.5moa with this same gun ammo setup! Did I receive a bad one that needs to go back to remington? I have heard they have been having quality issues or do I just need to shoot it more to see if it closes up? It has 45-50 rounds down the tube. I had a remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 several years ago that I done nothing to except take the X-Mark Pro trigger down to about 2.5lbs and left it in there as well as the cheap hogue stock and just had a basic luepold vx-3 3.5-10/40 with duplex reticle that I was shooting 1964 heads tamp lake city 7.62-51 168gr BTHP Match ammo though that shot a 5 shot .75-1moa group at 100 yards all day every day off sandbags with a zero value wind!!! Can someone please give me some helpful info??? I have over $2,000 in this rig plus ammo that my 20 year old ruger m77 in .280rem will outshoot!!! The two groups on the bottom of the target are my actual groups. The others were getting it zeroed. The one on lower left was first group then lower right was next group. Thanks guys!

Don't know about having a bad barrel check out my thread "sps tactical turd" I have a crooked chamber and right now I'm shooting the same as everybody else. But a little more shooting and I will update the thread.