• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 bedding "How To"?

TonyBen

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
Is there a thread that tells step-by-step how to pillar bed a Remington 700 (from the 1960's) into a stock? I remember seeing one on here years ago, but I can't find it. I had it bookmarked, but it's gone. I bedded my Savage years ago and it came out really nice, but I've never done a 700. I know for the Savage, I was supposed to leave the rear tang un-bedded. Are there any tricks on the 700 I should know about? I'm doing this one for a friend and need to do some homework first.

Tony.

Iron Brigade Armory divulged their technique in an issue of Tactical Shooter about 15 years ago. If you can find the article posted online, it would be worthwhile.

Rifle bedding 1 - YouTube
Use the above link for a little help from a wanna be smith. Most pros won't post complete step by step videos on how to bed a rifle because it's their bread and butter. Plus it's time consuming, and they all have too much work to take care of all the time. Can't blame them for that. There are some videos you can buy, but most suck. Good luck.