• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 bottom metal alternative

Re: Remington 700 bottom metal alternative

Does anyone have good dimensions for pillar length so the install feeds properly? I have my stock mostly inletted, but if someone has known dimensions I'm sure it would save me, and hopefully others, a good bit of time. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BapZander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have good dimensions for pillar length so the install feeds properly? I have my stock mostly inletted, but if someone has known dimensions I'm sure it would save me, and hopefully others, a good bit of time. Thanks </div></div>

This would be extremely helpful info for diy'ers. Making it fit end to end and side to side is easy. Its getting the right depth that is the tricky part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is the group buy still running? </div></div>

Nope, done a while ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BapZander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have good dimensions for pillar length so the install feeds properly? I have my stock mostly inletted, but if someone has known dimensions I'm sure it would save me, and hopefully others, a good bit of time. Thanks </div></div>
I was told by Colin that he used .72 and 1.07 on his rifle however I have not confirmed this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DREMEL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BapZander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have good dimensions for pillar length so the install feeds properly? I have my stock mostly inletted, but if someone has known dimensions I'm sure it would save me, and hopefully others, a good bit of time. Thanks </div></div>
I was told by Colin that he used .72 and 1.07 on his rifle however I have not confirmed this. </div></div>

This worked for me, I ended up a couple thousants shorter but everything works great.

Has anyone installed one of these on a bell and carlson A2 stock? If so can you please post pics of how it turned out? Also did you have to trim the pillars to make it feed right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the bottom metal from APA is very sleek and well designed.

American Precision Arms
http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/

Short-action bottom metal
http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/pro...-rtg-sa-rtg-sa/

Long-action bottom metal
http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/pro...-rtg-la-rtg-la/ </div></div>

$200 for the bottom metal with out the mag might as well go with the badger m5 P

My friend just finished installing his on his bell and carlson. I forget specifically what model he has but he most certainly had to trim his pillars. In fact, the aluminum on his stock seemed to be harder than on my HS precision. He said that he went through several bits on the dremel before he bought a carbide bit. I'll post his pictures if he doesn't mind.

Still waiting....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ACC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still waiting....

</div></div>

For what? Your bottom metal?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAN1LLA G0R1LLA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone installed one of these on a bell and carlson A2 stock? If so can you please post pics of how it turned out? Also did you have to trim the pillars to make it feed right? </div></div>

I installed one into B&C A2. The pictures are on the previous page. I didn't measure them, but the pillars had to be trimmed quite a bit as well as the mag-well area of the stock.

It was a PITA to do without a mill but it functions perfectly, so I'm happy.

Btw, I used a 1" screw for the front and had to buy a 1 1/2" screw for the back and cut it down to approximately 1 3/8"

Yes still waiting for two DBM.

could someone please post a working link i cant find it.

thank you
joe

OK here are the absolute minimums for the pillars, you only need to go this short for .223 to feed reliably Front pillar: .630 inch Rear pillar: 1.214 inch For this to work the top of the DBM gets a rounded groove about 3/16" deep matching the radius of the action, the front action screw has just enough thread left to not bottom out, and the rounded area at the top front of aiscs magazines just kisses the bottom of the action when installed. To get this deep took a lot of meat out of the stock so I permanently bonded the DBM into the stock with epoxy making it stronger than it started

for 308 it will increase the smoothness of feeding (by decreasing the feed angle) to groove the top of the DBM and inlet to: .7" front pillar and 1.3" rear pillar lengths

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAN1LLA G0R1LLA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the bottom metal from APA is very sleek and well designed.

American Precision Arms
http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/

Short-action bottom metal
http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/pro...-rtg-sa-rtg-sa/

Long-action bottom metal
http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/pro...-rtg-la-rtg-la/ </div></div>

$200 for the bottom metal with out the mag might as well go with the badger m5 P </div></div>

like others have said the DBM is a high markup item, AR lowers are considerably more complicated to machine and require extensive ATF bookkeeping yet sell for 55-150. Or consider I just bought a new complete Rem 700 including retailer markup for 400

So you are having to groove the top of the bottom metal as well to get it to fit the action snugly? I see that as having to be the solution for mine.

With mine, there is a gap, and it is not feeding right due to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Like others have said the DBM is a high markup item, AR lowers are considerably more complicated to machine and require extensive ATF bookkeeping yet sell for 55-150. Or consider I just bought a new complete Rem 700 including retailer markup for 400. </div></div>

Interesting, isn't it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With mine, there is a gap, and it is not feeding right due to it. </div></div>

OK, so <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> it be against the action? If so, it should be easy to place the dbm against the action and measure the distance so to know how much material to remove from the stock. Or am I way off in my thinking?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the dbm fit against the action or is there some gap? </div></div>

There should be some gap I will post a pic of how it should look later toninght

3 hours work with a motor tool and some files. Its a old H/S stock. The bottom metal fits flush with the bottom of reciver. Works fine. Total cost Less than $100. Plus I learned a lot about working stocks. Next up is refishing the stock.

IMG_0667.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JD42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3 hours work with a motor tool and some files. Its a old H/S stock. The bottom metal fits flush with the bottom of reciver. Works fine. Total cost Less than $100. Plus I learned a lot about working stocks. Next up is refishing the stock.

IMG_0667.jpg
</div></div>

I have the same stock, and there is my problem, it does not lie flush with the receiver.

Nice looking rifle by the way, exact same setup as me besides the optics and bolt knob.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you are having to groove the top of the bottom metal as well to get it to fit the action snugly? I see that as having to be the solution for mine. </div></div>

for 223 to feed smooth, the magazine has to be 3/16 inch farther up into the action than would be allowed by having the DBM (as shipped) just touching the bottom of the action

for 308 grooving the top of the DBM .1 (1/10 inch) and inletting until the DBM kisses the action again will improve feeding

AI magazines are not F'ed up so if you are bending feed lips something else in the geometry is wrong

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you are having to groove the top of the bottom metal as well to get it to fit the action snugly? I see that as having to be the solution for mine. </div></div>

for 223 to feed smooth, the magazine has to be 3/16 inch farther up into the action than would be allowed by having the DBM (as shipped) just touching the bottom of the action

for 308 grooving the top of the DBM .1 (1/10 inch) and inletting until the DBM kisses the action again will improve feeding

AI magazines are not F'ed up so if you are bending feed lips something else in the geometry is wrong </div></div>

Ahh, now that makes complete sense.

What should I use to fix the spots on my stock where I cut too much? It is a bell and carlson A2 if that helps

I prefer Devcon, but that is what I have.

For just filler, you could probably use bondo, or any other fiber glass filler for that matter.

I am glad to have got mine. It was put on my project gun. I could not aford to spend over $300 + gunsmith time. To add a mag system. Thanks again. For the group bye. Fun project. Well worth the work. Next up for me is steppling the stock. I will also try some devcon on the small gaps on the front and back of the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer Devcon, but that is what I have.

For just filler, you could probably use bondo, or any other fiber glass filler for that matter. </div></div>

Wont bondo crack and fall out over time?

Just installed one of these for a Hide member. I finally came up with .7" for the front pillar and 1.1" for the rear, and notching the top 3/16" or so. This is a 6.5x47L and is now feeding like a champ.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just installed one of these for a Hide member. I finally came up with .7" for the front pillar and 1.1" for the rear, and notching the top 3/16" or so. This is a 6.5x47L and is now feeding like a champ. </div></div>

So if quick math is right averages out to ~.025 shorter than a Badger- would a latch that holds the mags that requisite higher aleviate the need to notch/inlet further?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAN1LLA G0R1LLA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer Devcon, but that is what I have.

For just filler, you could probably use bondo, or any other fiber glass filler for that matter. </div></div>

Wont bondo crack and fall out over time? </div></div>

don't know what I was thinking with the Bondo. A fiberglass filler should work.

Suppose to pick mine up tomorrow from the 'smith, will post a AAR after I get out to the range.

so what mags have people tried and had work properly besides AI?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just installed one of these for a Hide member. I finally came up with .7" for the front pillar and 1.1" for the rear, and notching the top 3/16" or so. This is a 6.5x47L and is now feeding like a champ. </div></div>
Going to pop some primers tomorrow. I'll let ya know how it goes
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chakup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just installed one of these for a Hide member. I finally came up with .7" for the front pillar and 1.1" for the rear, and notching the top 3/16" or so. This is a 6.5x47L and is now feeding like a champ. </div></div>

So if quick math is right averages out to ~.025 shorter than a Badger- would a latch that holds the mags that requisite higher aleviate the need to notch/inlet further? </div></div>
A longer latch would accomplish the same thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chakup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just installed one of these for a Hide member. I finally came up with .7" for the front pillar and 1.1" for the rear, and notching the top 3/16" or so. This is a 6.5x47L and is now feeding like a champ. </div></div>

So if quick math is right averages out to ~.025 shorter than a Badger- would a latch that holds the mags that requisite higher aleviate the need to notch/inlet further? </div></div>

yes, a latch .15 inch longer would make for a simpler inlet, but after the fact it is easier to inlet deeper than change the latch

also with the longer latch the DBM could end up sticking out from the stock (looks worse than inset from the stock)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAN1LLA G0R1LLA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What should I use to fix the spots on my stock where I cut too much? It is a bell and carlson A2 if that helps </div></div>

I put packing tape on the DBM, so it will release, and use JB weld to bed/fill (most auto parts places have it) and black it out with a sharpie

Let us know how those run for you. I need some mags, and these might do the trick.

From what I have read the Ruger scout uses the same mags as the badger m5 or the AICS so they should work fine

Got mine installed today the mag is a bit sloppy in the magwell but it feeds great every time I am going to finish filling in around where I overcut on the stock tomorrow I will post some pics of my work later tonight

so can someone tell me the length and type of screws they ended up needing? i want to go to the hardware store and pick some up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmckay2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so can someone tell me the length and type of screws they ended up needing? i want to go to the hardware store and pick some up </div></div>

I reused the factory Remington screws but I think I am going to go get some different ones and cut them to length