• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington 700 bottom metal alternative

Re: Remington 700 bottom metal alternative

Am somewhat new here. Got in on group buy as to recommendations.

Collin was great. Replied to emails promtly and shipped as promised.

Got mine in the mail today. Shipped notification was on the 11th I believe. Worked on inleting for a couple of hours myself, by hand. Got it pretty close now and will finish by weekend if not sooner. Practicing patience.

Seems like decent product. AI Mags fit great! Price was definately right. Communication was excellent which is more than I can say for some things I own. (yes...made in USA stuff with not so good service sometimes/ not usually but recent not so good experience). I definately do usually try to buy made in USA. This was try based on group buy.

Time will tell how works out but so far am pleased.

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE:::

Those with the Altasworx DBM installed could you post some detailed reference pics for the DIY crowd???

Hopefully this will help those on an extreme budget and prevent something that devcon won't fix!!!!

As Always Thanks

Charles

Spotter 666 ,

Why don't you give the folks over at Mcree a call?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kytrapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE:::

Those with the Altasworx DBM installed could you post some detailed reference pics for the DIY crowd???

Hopefully this will help those on an extreme budget and prevent something that devcon won't fix!!!!

As Always Thanks

Charles </div></div>

Definitely. Looking at both the LA and SA layed on the stocks, the SA will take quite a bit more inletting than the LA will. Both of my stocks have an aluminum core (B&C) and I have a hard time believing it would be doable for someone without a mill (cleanly that is). I don't think a Dremel and a few files will cut it (no pun intended).

One complaint I do have is that there are no installation detail/instruction included. Maybe DBM's don't come with them generally but, it would be nice to have some kind of idea of proper fitment before one goes crazy with his Dremel.

Just saw this thread , some interesting quotes and attitudes .

It seems when a US company makea a knock off its alright , but when some other country does it , its BAD .

Badger makes an action that many consider a knockoff of the AI AW action , but thats OK ?

I donot really care , But I think the main reason , you see similar products made outside the US , is because it is bordering on insanely hard in redtape and costs & time to export anything out of the US , in this reguard you have done it to your selfs .

The excuses , range from , the WOT , anti gun running , all are BS .

You now see a range of products from m700 clone actions to bottom metals like this , all made outside side the USA .

In the UK they make 2-3 different M700 type clones & 2 or more makers of DBMs to use the AI mags , as well as AR10/15 clones as well .

Thats all money and business that would have a few yrs ago gone to US companies , and the end destinions , are stable western countries that are US Allies , ie UK , Germany , Aussie , NZ etc .

Later Chris

P.S. Looks like I will have to get my cousin in Aussie to get me some DBMs , Opps

Rob could you measure the mag wall thickness of your DBMs as the top one looks thicker than the bottom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSCN0056.jpg
</div></div>

Rob,

.078 on the short action (bottom), .185 on the long action (top)

Ok thanks. They must make the long action thicker for strength.

I am not aware of any coming with DIY instructions as most consider this a smith job....

Those with them installed how about helping out by doing some reverse engineering......... Thanks All

ChrisF thanks for the thoughts---stay tuned some range reports will be in before long

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kytrapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds good Shay how about some pics? </div></div>
Still waiting on my stock from GAP... soon</div></div>

So... did you ever get your stock back? How did it turn out? Any pics?

Their website looks promising and I think I can use the LA 338LM mags and just tweak the feed lips and shave off the forward support rails if they can't come up with a specific RUM Mag. Thanks for the suggestion. I sure was hoping someone else out there was in need of some RUM mags and maybe we can build up enough demand for them to run a batch. Anyone interested PM me and I'll see what I can put together. Mcree precision
Has anyone used Wyatt's mags in these?
Wyatt's outdoors

Several observations
Tactical,
In this country we have patents,copy rights, trade marks if you do not do one of those then you are not protected from people using the info. And bettering the product. I myself think if you can produce a product less expensive than another and still adhere to same specifics then you have just improved the product not " knocked it off"

Also, badger tried to knock off AI Well, I guess they can do it,but now atlaworx is not aloud to try to make a better product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Several observations
Tactical,
In this country we have patents,copy rights, trade marks if you do not do one of those then you are not protected from people using the info. And bettering the product. I myself think if you can produce a product less expensive than another and still adhere to same specifics then you have just improved the product not " knocked it off"

Also, badger tried to knock off AI Well, I guess they can do it,but now atlaworx is not aloud to try to make a better product.

</div></div>

Thunder, you miss understand me.
I have no problem with folks changing designs and making imnprovements to come up with new products, such as you have. I have problems with things I believe are just copies. Badgers action looks similar to an AI but is not a direct copy. Internally its different in several key areas.

Having gone through Patent Processes, I can tell you its expensive and unless you are going to sell a millon plus of something, which you wont in the sniper rifle world, it is not worth it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Several observations
Tactical,

</div></div>

Thunder, you miss understand me. I noticed you are offering a new DM yourself. I aso notice it is very different than anything else on the market. I believe you did so to make what you think is a better product? If not why not just copy a Badger and be done with it?

I have no problem with folks changing designs and making imnprovements to come up with new products, such as you have. I have problems with things I believe are just copies. Badgers action looks similar to an AI but is not a direct copy. Internally its different in several key areas.

Having gone through Patent Processes, I can tell you its expensive and unless you are going to sell a millon plus of something, which you wont in the sniper rifle world, it is not worth it </div></div>

So how many ways can a DBM be made to function with the same magazine? You seem to insinuate that Atlasworx (and not CDi for some reason) is a knock off of Badger's DBM. How can DBM be made so that it doesn't qualify as a "knock off" according to Tactical? Different inlet? Different dimensions? Atlasworxs and CDi both use different inetls and dimensions than Badger DBM. So then, what should it be? Or if you can't come up with something, are you just saying that they simply shouldn't be allowed to make it?

I honestly don't understand your argument here.

PICS????? ANYONE????????

THANX

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWcomm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am somewhat new here. Got in on group buy as to recommendations.

Got mine in the mail today. Shipped notification was on the 11th I believe. Worked on inleting for a couple of hours myself, by hand. Got it pretty close now and will finish by weekend if not sooner. Practicing patience.

Seems like decent product. AI Mags fit great! Price was definately right. Communication was excellent which is more than I can say for some things I own. (yes...made in USA stuff with not so good service sometimes/ not usually but recent not so good experience). I definately do usually try to buy made in USA. This was try based on group buy.

</div></div>
UPDATE:

Not admitting defeat but advising caution to other do it yourselfers. This is a job.

Got about 9 hours in now trying to do by hand. I am working on B&C stock so alluminum is the issue. Have in great shape at the moment but probably need a couple more hours to make perfect.

For the record. I would not try to do this again myself. I have blood, sweat and tears into this effort. If try on own good luck. I say not best way.

Will post pics when done.

Yea nine hours is beyond my capabilities, going to have to find someone local to Dulles VA or ship it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWcomm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWcomm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am somewhat new here. Got in on group buy as to recommendations.

</div></div>
UPDATE:

Not admitting defeat but advising caution to other do it yourselfers. This is a job.

Got about 9 hours in now trying to do by hand. I am working on B&C stock so alluminum is the issue. Have in great shape at the moment but probably need a couple more hours to make perfect.

For the record. I would not try to do this again myself. I have blood, sweat and tears into this effort. If try on own good luck. I say not best way.

</div></div>

i may have missed it but can someone send me the foot print? or i can ask colin, but i figured if someone has it might as well ask

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still trying to figure out why people are bitching... </div></div>

Because they like to bitch. I have 3 rifles with Badger M5 metal and 1 with M4. I only paid retail for 1 of them. Others I got off this site in the accessory section at a bargain. I buy, sell and trade a lot of stuff. Not for a living but because I like to. This product being offered is just like any other product in the American economy. When a company has been in business long enough to get a significant market share, the had to work to get it. Whatever company made the first M5 metal is the only one without a knockoff. All the others claim theirs is comparable or improved design. I'm sure when Toyota came to the US market with their cars and trucks, Ford and GM make many claims that the Toyota was inferior. Ford and Chevy owners bashed the Toyota brand and told their friends that Toyota was shit, without even owning or knowing anything about them. Roll to today, Toyota kicks ass when it comes to vehicle sales here in the US. It's the free market world. I don't own one of the new bottom metals, but if I was looking to buy new bottom metal, I want something that performs like I want it to, something that the company stands behind and something affordable. If this new bottom metal fits those requirements and I'm willing to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery, I'll buy it......because in America, I can if I want to. There will always be people who say they buy American, but I'm sure they have numerous things like S&B scopes, AI rifles, Sig, Glock, Lapua and a ton of other things that are of high quality but not from American design or manufacturing. Buy what you want and don't worry about the bullshit.

SP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still trying to figure out why people are bitching... </div></div>

probably because most are pissed they were sucked in enough to pay outrageous prices for an item that shouldn't be near that expensive. its a hunk of metal that does very little. hell, regular bottom metal actually has more working parts. that stuff sells for freaking cheap. i don't have any problem with people charging whatever they want, but don't bitch when a cheaper product comes on the market. either adjust your prices to compete or sell it on whats better (cutomer service, etc). this is america, have we all forgotten that? competition is what makes this machine run.

i agree that some of the vendors have acted like children and made themselves look extremely foolish. i too will never buy from them now. its funny how people will make back handed comments about someone who can't defend themselves, especially when they don't even know anything about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stacyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Buy what you want and don't worry about the bullshit.</div></div>

BEST line in this thread.

Jack

Well, I held my nose and decided to try the inlet myself. Hope these pics are good enough as I took them from my cell.
I like to think that if another man can do something, I can too. I wouldnt say it was too complicated but you definately need to take your time and pay attention to what you are doing.
It all went fairly smoothly, most work was done with a hand file and some done on the mill. It def can be done with a dremel tool as long as you take your time and check fit a lot. Is it worth the $75+ saved by doing it yourself? I think so, and am not afraid to try something out, I like the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself, but thats me...
I am by no stretch of the imagination a "Machineist" so...it isn't "Beautifully" done.
there were some fitting issues and I did run into some binding problems but I dont think I have completely screwed the stock up. The last cut that was made on the mill, I only took a couple hundred thousandths out of the front action screw area because I wanted the entire BM to fit flush, apparently it was too much, beause thats when the binding issues and not feeding started.
After playing with it more, I fixed the feeding issues and binding problems and plan on bedding it to clean the appearence up. I'll take some better pics and post them up later.
Hope this helps someone out...

Rem 700SA
B&C A2

First thing I did was hand fit with a file until the box would slide into the stock.
dbm1.jpg

Then I marked the front and rear of the BM to be opened up on the mill.
dbm2a.jpg

And began removing material...
dbm2.jpg

This is a partial finished product, sorry for the crappy pics and I'll try to take some better ones while bedding and cleaning up the appearence. I am pretty satisfied with it and it is feeding properly, next stop is the range to run it and make sure there arent any other issues...
dbm3.jpg

Wards75---Thank You Sir. Looks like a nice clean fit. Please keep us posted.

Thank You

Charles

I went on ahead and took some more pics to show some more detail of the area I am gonna bed and "Pretty Up" lol...also it shows a little better the fit of the DBM....not too shabby for a "Jack-leg" I dont think!

dbm4.jpg

dbm6.jpg

dbm5.jpg

Ward that is why I am thinking about a paint job when I get done... What stock is that? Thanks what size millbit?

@ Wards75 Looks good! I'll be doing the same thing when my metal comes in from Colin.

Thanks guys...kytrapper, its a B&C A2 and I used a 11/16 end mill for the cutting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kewes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kytrapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds good Shay how about some pics? </div></div>
Still waiting on my stock from GAP... soon</div></div>

So... did you ever get your stock back? How did it turn out? Any pics? </div></div>

I got the stock back. At first, it wouldnt feed. I thought, oh, great, it's not gonna work. The bolt was going right over the rounds with the mag seated. I bent the feed lips on the mag (Alpha Mag) so the rounds could be a bit higher and now it works perfectly. I'm not sure if the metal wasnt inletted deep enough or if my mag was at fault, but it works great now.

I'll try to get pics soon.

wards75, looks good, fine job on that stock. I have the same and was wondering how much into the metal part of the stock did you get while inletting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: claudesapp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wards75, looks good, fine job on that stock. I have the same and was wondering how much into the metal part of the stock did you get while inletting? </div></div>

Couldn't tell you exactly how much was removed out of the box section, I just kept taking some out with a file and test fitting until the BM would slide in as far as it could so I could mark the front and rear for the milling work. I think I took like .0470 (give or take some) out of the rear and .030 out of the front but don't exactly recall.
I just took my time and removed some material and test fit in til it dropped on in.

I got in after the gb ended and took someones spot that backed out. Now to decide on some mags and get the stock I really want, so I don't have to pay for inletting twice.

Well, I'm finally getting around to posting after a few trips to the range and field with my 700 with Atlasworxs DBM. So far the setup has run 100% with both the AICS 5 round mag and Alpha 10 round mags. I must say that before the DBM, I was having some feeding problems with the stock BDL-type bottom metal that I never got around to fixing since I had this DBM coming. So basically, this is a big win for me: flawless feeding and detachable mag.

The only "issue" I had was the Alpha mags seem to swell (width-wise) when loaded with 10 rounds, making it a very tight fit in the mag well. The finish wear that has occurred on the mag well is all from the Alpha mags, with associated wear on the mags in the corresponding locations. See the pictures. I couldn't care less about the finish wear, but thought I would mention it. I have read about others experiencing the same "swelling" of the Alpha mags, so I wasn't all that surprised and it's not a problem, just different.

The AICS mag is a perfect fit and hasn't worn any finish off the mag or the mag well. I might eventually consider a 10 round AICS or AW mag, but probably not since Chris at Alpha is so great to work with and the Alphas are more compact and are stainless under the finish.

To sum up, I'm very satisfied with the Atlasworxs product, as I'm sure I would have been with any other DBM on the market right now. The only difference for me is that I have the DBM now, and I might not ever have layed out the cash for DBM had it been more expensive.

P1020904.jpg

P1020900.jpg

P1020901.jpg

P1020902.jpg

P1020903.jpg

P1020905.jpg

AKFLIER,
thanks for the pics.... glad it is gtg for ya.

My DBM showed up yesterday and I am happy with what I received. I tried test fitting an Accurate mag and so far so good.

I can't wait to get mine. Thanks for the pictures.

Just dropped it off to a local shop to have the inletting done! Should be ready in about 10 days or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Olivers_AR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea nine hours is beyond my capabilities, going to have to find someone local to Dulles VA or ship it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWcomm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWcomm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am somewhat new here. Got in on group buy as to recommendations.

</div></div>
UPDATE:

</div></div> </div></div>

Post pics when you get it back Oliver...............

What are your plans Kansas Born DIY or which smith?

In capitalist America isn’t the idea to get the best product for the least amount of money?.... I think we have some people who are slightly confused about capitalism. Maybe they should go hang out with the Occupy Wall Street folks and learn some of that liberal goodness and while you’re at it please send me 25% of your paycheck. lol
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kytrapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Post pics when you get it back Oliver...............

What are your plans Kansas Born DIY or which smith? </div></div>

I plan on trying to tackle this myself. It's going to have to wait until thanksgiving when I have a couple of days to get down to Wichita and use the mill at my previous job. It doesn't look overly complicated, just time consuming. Famous last words...

Bottom Metal has always seemed overpriced for what it is and how little machining is required to produce it.

Perhaps this and the new CDI offerings will bring prices to a rational level.