• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 bottom metal alternative

Re: Remington 700 bottom metal alternative

My thoughts exactly. Maybe this is "unamerican" but I will spend my hard earned money wherever I get the best/most for my money. Case closed. If something is significantly more expensive than something else, it should be significantly better. Either way, options are good for everyone.

Actually, I believe most other DBM systems are aluminum also. I know Badger's M5 is and that seems to be the standard. So besides footprint, I wouldn't imagine there's much difference between any of them, with Seekins and R&D Precision being the exceptions that come to mind.

Well, I got my Atlasworxs DBM and had it over to my local guy for inletting. He had it done overnight and I just got it back. Install looks good and he reported no significant difficulties. He is used to inletting other DBMs and was impressed by the quality and especially the price of the Atlasworxs. Overall with the DBM, mag and inletting I have spent less than just the DBM from anybody else. It function tested perfectly in the shop and I'll be out field testing as soon as possible. I consider trying out this unknown DBM a gamble that paid off. I'm very satisfied.

DBM3.jpg

DBM5.jpg

There is a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive," IMO. Just because something is offered at a low (likely introductory) price does not make it "cheap." Nor is it dumping foreign made stuff on the US. Nobody seems to have an issue with the very expensive, foreign made rifles and scopes many tout on this website. Many are lauded as some of the worlds best in fact. Seems to be a price issue that gets under the skin of some.

The Atlasworx metal is a steal even at their regular price which I think is $115 or $120. Time will tell how good they are, I think they seem great. I hope they are still able to offer these after the group buy. I am not knocking CDI but the fact they offered a group buy as a reaction to the Atlasworx group buy and then decided to call them a cheap copy says something about CDI. All bottom metals are copies of other bottom metals with very little changes between them and if I remember correctly CDI has only been making their metal for around 3 years. Did Badger come on the site when the CDI metal went on sale and call it a cheap knock off? Most of us use AICS mags which are foreign made and many don't seem to have a problem supporting them even though they are a foreign company. The fact CDI decided to lower the price of their metal by almost $80 just goes to show how over priced these things are. I'm all for making a profit but greed is greed anyway you look at it. But what do I know I'm just the new guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peligro113</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Atlasworx metal is a steal even at their regular price which I think is $115 or $120. Time will tell how good they are, I think they seem great. I hope they are still able to offer these after the group buy. I am not knocking CDI but the fact they offered a group buy as a reaction to the Atlasworx group buy and then decided to call them a cheap copy says something about CDI. All bottom metals are copies of other bottom metals with very little changes between them and if I remember correctly CDI has only been making their metal for around 3 years. Did Badger come on the site when the CDI metal went on sale and call it a cheap knock off? Most of us use AICS mags which are foreign made and many don't seem to have a problem supporting them even though they are a foreign company. The fact CDI decided to lower the price of their metal by almost $80 just goes to show how over priced these things are. I'm all for making a profit but greed is greed anyway you look at it. But what do I know I'm just the new guy. </div></div>

You sound kind of green. People are in business to make money. Where would you be if your work was free? Apparently you forget about shop overhead, etc. Don't knock people who are doing group buys bringing quality (How do I know? I've been to his shop in Florida, and SEEN HIS PRODUCT MACHINED FROM A SINGLE BLOCK OF ALUMINUM MYSELF.) to us, in response to a foreign product or not. It sounds as if you're questioning someone's integrity in which you have obviously had no interaction with. Not necessarily the wisest thing. Jeff is GTG, top notch service and product. I'm not knocking Atlasworx, give them a try if you wish. I personally prefer to buy stuff made in the USA. If you're a bargain hunter and don't really care, hey, more power to you.

Yup I'm green. I can't question CDI's group buy, but he can questions Atlasworx group buy. That doesn't even make sense. Okay so you've seen CDI's product machined from a sold piece of aluminum what's your point? Is American aluminum different from Aussie aluminum?

$40-$50 to make the product, $50 for overhead, and $40-$50 profit. I am not talking about a run of 10 pieces to make a product profitable you need to have a run of 100's if not 1000's of these pieces. I understand people are in business to make money, but I have a right to support and buy the products which give me the most bang for my buck. I don't pay extra money for something just because it's the flavor people choose to buy the most.

I am not bad mouthing Jeff or bring his integrity into question as I have not dealt with him before, but I guess it is okay for Jeff to call Atlasworx bottom metal knockoff's but god forbid I question his intent. I was just questioning the timing of the group buy and the post he himself wrote in his group buy calling Atlasworx's bottom metal a knock off, not his product or his business sense.

As for buying American hey it's your choice and I can understand it but don't try to make it seem like it's patriotic to buy American products, most of the people on this board buy foreign made products all the time be it scopes, rings, magazines or rifles. I have read other posts where you say you have a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm mounted on your rifle, just in case you didn't know the Viper PST is made in the Phillipnes, but that must be someone else on this board with the same name as you since you only buy American.

When I get back home I will be researching what it takes to make a trigger guard for a 700 and will hopefully be able to bring a cost effective and quality product to the market. When I do I hope my product won't be called a knock off.

I also hope that Snipershide isn't one of those websites where if you question something, someone, or the status quo you receive instant ban.

The "buy American" part of this is laughable as an argument, since the entire purpose of this, cdi's, or badgers bottom metal is to allow your gun to accept a FOREIGN magazine. This website is all for awesome foreign items like Sako TRG rifles, AI AW's, AICS chassis's for the 700, S&B & Ziess scopes. But if that foreign part is offered as a cheaper alternative rather than an outrageously expensive one it's suddenly cheap crap and we need to buy American? Come on guys....

marcolate How long did it take for yours to arrive? @ Tengo1 I have given up arguing that point, to each his own. I'm done

Can the average Joe do the inletting with a file on the HS Precision stock that comes on a 700P?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Morten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the average Joe do the inletting with a file on the HS Precision stock that comes on a 700P?</div></div>

There has been several on here that has done it with dremel tools and even one did it with a make-shift mill(a drill press) it worked out fine....the general consensus is to take your time and keep checking the fit.

I tend to agree with Peligro, Tengo and Rob. I would have preffered to get a Seekins DBM (or even a CDI) for this rifle, but had not been able to justify the cost. At Atlasworxs' price, I was able to acheive something I wouldn't have been able to otherwise. I would think the other manufacturers would appreciate that, and that now I'm gonna have to order mags (and yes, British mags) and do more shooting, and will probably eventually spring for that Seekins. We all have to start somewhere, and we can't all start out with high dollar rifles. Otherwise I would have started out with an AICS and spent my money on another foreign built product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Morten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the average Joe do the inletting with a file on the HS Precision stock that comes on a 700P? </div></div>
I wouldn't recommend it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45user</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It may have been discussed but does this dbm fit in badger footprint?
</div></div>

No, it is different

Has anybody received the template from Atlasworx? It's really not needed but it can't hurt to have it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akflier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I got my Atlasworxs DBM and had it over to my local guy for inletting. He had it done overnight and I just got it back. Install looks good and he reported no significant difficulties. He is used to inletting other DBMs and was impressed by the quality and especially the price of the Atlasworxs. Overall with the DBM, mag and inletting I have spent less than just the DBM from anybody else. It function tested perfectly in the shop and I'll be out field testing as soon as possible. I consider trying out this unknown DBM a gamble that paid off. I'm very satisfied.

DBM3.jpg

DBM5.jpg
</div></div>

nice looking "cheap copy". thats sarcasm by the way

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tengo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The "buy American" part of this is laughable as an argument, since the entire purpose of this, cdi's, or badgers bottom metal is to allow your gun to accept a FOREIGN magazine. This website is all for awesome foreign items like Sako TRG rifles, AI AW's, AICS chassis's for the 700, S&B & Ziess scopes. But if that foreign part is offered as a cheaper alternative rather than an outrageously expensive one it's suddenly cheap crap and we need to buy American? Come on guys.... </div></div>

Perfectly said.

GUYS, I started the group buy following info found by MLH29 so those of us on a budget could have toys too. Lets stop the hard feeling and name calling!!

The guy in the desert is neither New or Green... He knows more than alot of others the what and why!!!

By the Way "Peligro 113"
Thank You and stay safe sir!!

Competition is a good thing and it strives to make us better..

AI Mags spawned ALPHA Mags an American made copy!!! Maybe we should start thinking about an ALPHA Mag or MCREE GB

I don't hold with hard feelings among friends... They are too Few of us to get bent up about someones view....

Thank God and the Military that we can have our differing views and the right to Express them!!!

Thanks to All

Reactions: Lou408

TMCKAY2 thanks for the pics...lets us know your range results and how it functions in the brush

I have followed this thread as much as possible.. deployed.. alwasy in /out of interent blackout.. Thanks to many here we were provided with a choice of a group buy..

I originally titled this as an alternative..
I am on a budget.. I like to shoot. I like toys.. Shooting plus toys plus a family = little budget for toys+ shooting.
I have had/ do have.. hs dbm, badger m5, and a second hand cdi and hooper dbm.
Everyone has always complained on the price/quality/availablity of hs mags, Badger m5 stock fluctuates etc

When cdi, seekens, hooper, etc started making dbm.. everyone welcomed a new product.. and not taking away from they are still a welcome addition to the shooting industry.

As mentioned earlier I am on a budget.. so classified ads, and ebay get checked alot when I am in need of something.. used and functional is better to me than NEW and unpurchased..
I found what appeared to be a decent product, with decent cs, and at a decent price.. I thought as most of us here are shooting sports fans that getting another business into the shooting sports industry would be a welcome addition..
I passed this info along as I have noticed a trend towards more budget friendly builds.. Noone seems to mind burris extreme/ weaver rings and bases on their rifles( China products).. SO a Austrailian made dbm at a little over 100 seemed pretty budget friendly to me( considering even a steel bdl form ptg is about 125 unfinished).

I am not affiliated with atlasworx and was just attempting to get what I feel is a good product out to people who will use it..

It is not a china made airsoft pos as I see on a lot of mall ninja rifles..( In this day fake everything is available.. leupold mk 4, eotechs,acogs) and no I am not on ar15.cofm
It is made in house in AUS. by high tech machining to tight tolerances with quality metal.. by a company that is not new to firearms, just the american market..
Being that it is the USA, everyone has an opinion.. You may or may not choose this product. I chose it as I am on a budget. It will be going onto a rifle I am planning to build for my son who is 3.5 yrs old ATT.. I do plan on him continuing with shooting sports as he gets older, even if it is not the PC thing to do.. If you are not or do not chose to run the atlasworx dbm than please continue to run your badger/cdi/seekins/ aics/ hooper dbm and be happy. Again it was just presented in a friendly manner to give shooters on a budget an alternative. I hope everyone can
overcome this Have a good day

Has anyone fitted one of these in a 223? I am wondering if there are any feeding issues?

Thank you for putting this group buy together, if it wasn't for this group buy I probably wouldn't have bought a DBM since I considered them to be too pricey for what they are. I have lurked on this site on and off for a few years your group buy encouraged me to join. I am done trying to convince people everyone can make their own choice and be happy about it.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kytrapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

AI Mags spawned ALPHA Mags an American made copy!!! Maybe we should start thinking about an ALPHA Mag or MCREE GB

</div></div>

There is a current GB on Accurate-Mag AICS magazines.

Accurate Mag GB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kytrapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TMCKAY2 thanks for the pics...lets us know your range results and how it functions in the brush </div></div>

i didn't post the pics i just qouted it. i haven't received mine yet, probably will be another week yet.

sorry about that let me know how it goes I am last in line on these...lol hopefully everyone that wanted one got in on the gb

So I guess the range report and function test request go to AKFLIER- Nice pics by the way your guy fitted it in nice!!

Unfortunately, the range report is a few weeks away. My smith got it done right before I had to travel for work. I am as annoyed with having to wait as you are! That's what I get for having a job...

Can anyone advise what the average price to have the inletting done? Remington 5R stock

Got my order in for one.

As far as inletting the stock goes, is the distance between the Atlasworxs DBM and bottom of the action specified somewhere?

stan462, I paid $100 to get mine inletted. My stock is a HS with alum block, and did require a lot of fitting. I know CDI says they charge $60 to inlet for their bottom metal. Like I mentioned before, my guy did it overnight.

I'd like to thank kytrapper for making the group buy happen. I think Atlasworxs' regular price of $120 is still great. Their product has allowed many folks to add DBM, and not just the Atlasworxs, CDI and R&D too!

My inlet cost 75 and shipping to GAP.

The Group Buy ended 9-30-2011

Glad I could help!!!

Let's keep this thread going with the pics and range reports as you guys get them......

Most of us in the boat with you AKFLIER- work gets in the way of the important stuff!!!!

Just a bump on this. I am interested in finding this product and cannot find it on their web site. Anyone have a better line to the product on the manf. web site?

BrokenSailor,

This thread and the group buy thread that closed on 9-30-2011 will provide the most info available on this product.

This is a new product for Atlasworxs and they do not have alot about it on their web site.

The Guys in the thread emailed the company and compiled- posted photos from the company as well as actual instalation pics.

Several have been installed and range reports are expected to be posted later this fall.

Thanks

Just a follow up to the GB there are 32 orders that have been placed and not paid for.... If Someone has changed there mind please advise Atlasworxs by the end of the week.

Thanks

I'll take somebody's place on the GB... let me know how I can do that. I have cash, CC, paypal bucks, MO, sterling silver or gold... whatever the currency... PM me asap.

It sounds like sending the stock out for inletting is the way to go. Somebody above mentioned GAP. Are there any other places that people are sending their stocks out to?

I got word that my stock should be shipping Thursday. I'll have pics ASAP.

I sent Colin a message and he said it would be fine to take over someone's spot... now I need to know who can't go through with the GB, I will happily take your spot. Please let me know asap.

I will be happy to take over someone's spot as well. I'm kicking myself for not getting in on this the first time I read this thread...