• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Re: Please HELP! Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fe1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well the brake issue is solved. Trigger adjusted to 2#'s. Next question, what is the torque setting on the action screws? </div></div>

I put mine between 50-60 in/lbs.

Depends on what you have for bottom metal and what kind of stock. If you are sticking with the stock that came with it along with the bottom metal. I would suggest getting it directly from the manufacturer.

Would someone be so kind as to send me a photo of the boltface, please?

Thank you.

Re: Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

What makes you think these are 40X actions. 40X will say 40X right on them? All I have seen say 700 on them.

Here is a couple bolt face pictures. I have documented two different extractors on the 338 MLR rifles. These two rifles are only 61 guns apart in serial number.

017qlx.jpg

007egc.jpg

My gun was made in oct-nov 2010 and looks like the one in your bottom pic.
Empty brass is thrown(swings) out of the action and the casemouths gets "slung" into the actions "back bridge?" leaving brass marks in the reciever and dented casemouths...

Sanded out the barrelchannel but still get irregular groups.
Still waiting for the Scenars(250grs)to get here though.
Have tried SMK250, GK250 and 225SST. The GK:s were the most accurate of the tried bullets.

Shot another boar(125kg) with the GK250 loaded to 2970f/s....boar got hit in the shoulder quartering towards me at 150m and ran some 30-40 meters before piling up.The GK made a pretty nasty entrance hole
shocked.gif

So which extractor is in the second pic? Thats what mine is. Manufactured also in 11/2010.

My MLR was purchased in 2008 and came with the full width extractor. My rifle ejects the cases in an upward more than sideways arc which results in the cases striking the windage turret. That results in an ocassional case bouncing back into the action. This revised cut on the extractor may be an attempt by Remington to get the extractor to release the cases differently and to eject more sideways than upward.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buddy32</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'll be totally honest and say that this gun is a beast. Till now I've been shooting a 700SPS in .308 with a SAS QD muzzle break. The 700P with the factory muzzle break was kickin so hard it was nearly knocking my hearing protection off after each shot. I'm hoping that the Fat Bastard MB I've got on order will help.
... </div></div>I put a suppressor on mine. With a suppressor, the recoil is quite tame, less than a factory .243; and the noise level is almost hearing safe.

Anyone had any problems installing a Jewell trigger in the 700P 338? I cant seem to get proper function after instalaton. Seems like something is binding up after torquing the action screws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fe1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone had any problems installing a Jewell trigger in the 700P 338? I cant seem to get proper function after instalaton. Seems like something is binding up after torquing the action screws. </div></div>
Fixed. Relieved the right side of the trigger guard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who Dat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep posting the info on using the H1000 powder. I use it in my 7mag and 7stw I really like it for the accuracy I get out of it. </div></div>

Some recent load development using H1000 and the new Berger Hybrid 300gr. Rem700P, XLR stock, 338 CIP length,Temp was around 95 degrees, Elev about 4000, wind <5mph. Velocity between 2600-2660fps. I forgot to measure the OAL, but i think it was a couple hundredths shorter than the max CIP mag length. best group was .43" at 100Y.

See pics...

H1000a.jpg

H1000b.jpg

And one of the gun used because I'm so damn happy with the XLR stock...

700P_XLR.jpg

I don't know if this has been covered or not, my apologies if it has. I too purchased one of these rifles, and I too have had nothing but accuracy issues with the rifle up until I found the solution for my rifle (and according to my gunsmith, many other Remington rifles.)

Now as a point of reference, I shoot 4 days a week on average and carry about a .3-.5MOA average. I also reload, and have reloaded a few thousand rounds I'd approximate. So I'm no god, but I'm familiar with how it all works and can execute it fairly successfully. I started taking the Lapua to the range using silvertip 225gr projectiles in Lapua brass, and retumbo powder. Doing a ladder style development, the best group I could gather was an 8" group at 200 yards. Some POI's striking high, some low, with no consistency or "barrel walk," pattern to be found. I tried 3 different optics setups and even considered the recoil of the rifle may have broken the scope (a brand new scope otherwise.) I then switched to a 250smk, and later to a 300smk with no more success. I had a DPMS mikulek muzzle brake installed from a .308 AR, through my gunsmith and had him do an accuracy check on the rifle at the time. What he found surprised me.. I get a phone cal asking how many rounds I'd fired.. About 50. He tells me it looks as if the crown has had 15000+ rounds through the pipe, and tells me it's his 3rd Remington rifle, in different calibers, this month that he's seen with said problem. Long story short, he took 1/2" off the barrel and rethreaded for the brake, and the gun shoots lights out now. 1 hole group at 300 yards last ladder test (300smk, 92.5gr retumbo, lapua brass, cci primers.) hope this helps someone!

That's pretty interesting Inspector! With the brake pre-installed, and most figuring a new rifle out of the factory should have an adequate crown, most would overlook inspecting this as a possible issue as taking off the brake is a bit of a hassle. I have a 'little' more experience than you on the reloading front, but not much,... as you say, "I'm no god, but I'm familiar with how it all works and can execute it fairly successfully". Like you, I've gotten pretty much all my sporter rifles to shoot 0.25-.5 MOA with a combination of minor tweaks and load development. As you also mention, I haven't been real thrilled with the accuracy of this rifle, but have, 'til now, chalked its' inaccuracy up to my inability to maintain a truly stable position/hold at the range due to the caliber's tendency to buck like a mule(!) I'm going to take mine over to my smith and have him pull the brake and recut the crown,... Hopefully, he won't have to rethread it for the brake, but we'll see,... If he does, I'll have him cut it by your recommended 1/2" and see how it goes,... Thanks for the input!

Ry

I'm glad it's a possible fix for you and hope it works out. I too was doubting my ability for a long while, fearing I was developing a flinch or maybe that's as accurate as the gun gets... But 2" groups at 100yrds was unacceptable to me, and that's why I kept on digging for the culprit. I'd immediately switch back to my .308SPS and shoot .10-.50 MOA mintues after firing the .338LM, and as a super knowledgable friend says "if you can't identify your problem immediately, the problem likely isn't with you."

I switched brakes on mine right off the bat to get rid of the ground signature. My crown looks fine but did not slug the barrel. Accuracy issues aside the darn barrel is ridiculously short for this caliber. A 2600 fps Lapua isn't much for a long distance shooter. I'm looking to get to a mile with sub MOA accuracy. A standard 308 takes less correction to get to 1000 yards. It is also not staying supersonic at 1500 yards. My groups went from 2 moa at 1000 yards to 200 moa at 1500. You couldn't hit a truck with this thing. My new barrel should be here in 2 weeks. We will see what a 9.5 twist 30" barrel does for it.

From what I've read from knowledgable gunsmiths, the action was the "suspect," component. To date my action is flawless, it seems to be the barrel that these rifles stumble over, either with accuracy, or range as you point out. I've spoken to a few of the big name barrel mfg's and they're super affordable for very good quality upgrades. - also I'm new to the forum, and my iPhone seems to seriously disagree with this board. Am I the only one?

Buddy32,
Not a bad load development, I like your max load work up the primer cratering is pretty light. I was wondering if it would set the primers back or crater really bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buddy32</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who Dat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep posting the info on using the H1000 powder. I use it in my 7mag and 7stw I really like it for the accuracy I get out of it. </div></div>

Some recent load development using H1000 and the new Berger Hybrid 300gr. Rem700P, XLR stock, 338 CIP length,Temp was around 95 degrees, Elev about 4000, wind <5mph. Velocity between 2600-2660fps. I forgot to measure the OAL, but i think it was a couple hundredths shorter than the max CIP mag length. best group was .43" at 100Y.

See pics...

H1000a.jpg

H1000b.jpg

And one of the gun used because I'm so damn happy with the XLR stock...

700P_XLR.jpg
</div></div>

Looks great. Sounds like you would recommend that chassis.
grin.gif

Guys I am sorry I have not had a chance to finish out my rifle I said I would have the final build posted and have some data from shooting it posted as well by August. Hunting season has started and after 20 years the wife wanted in-door plumbing at our cabin. What was wrong with a perfectly good outhouse I do not know.

Anybody's not eject the brass? It did for the first round or two. Mine has the M16 extractor with only the half of claw pictured up in this thread. So I purchase a new extractor?

Here's mine, in an AICS CIP 2.0 stock and with a Badger FTE muzzle brake installed by Short Action Customs:

3386.jpg

3387.jpg

3385.jpg

First range trip, 28 rounds down the tube so far. This is a 300 yard group measuring at around 0.6 MOA. Neither the scope nor the distance are adequate for this rifle but that is all I had.

3381-1.jpg

Mine ejects brass rather weakly as well, that is the next thing I have to fix.

I think there is a modification to convert right to a left. I have seen some of the modifications on some of the AICS, I just do not know what it involves. I think it might be in one of the forums on the Hide.

Alright gentleman hunting season is over with and it is time for me to complete my rifle, what would you recommend as a good brake for your MLR? I am off to the Shot Show next month so it will be touchy feely time to see what is out there.

Well my rifle is complete except for the mono-pod and honeycomb sunshade which are currently being shipped while I type. I decided to go with a thread on brake that clamps down, after coming back from the Shot Show it would seem all of the suppressor manufactures are trying to upgrade their quick attach suppressor mounts. Too much money to spend on a suppressor that does not lock up right on the mount. I will just go with a thread on.

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

Looks good. Who's brake is that?

When I sighted it in today, I loaded the ammunition for it using Nosler 225gr Accubond bullets, HSM brass, H1000 powder and CCI primers. Starting load was 91grs and then I worked my way up to 100grs. Powder charges followed in this order, 91gr, 93, 95gr, 99gr and 100gr. Was not my best day for getting sighted in, my range is at 9500ft and there was a foot of snow on the ground. So laying on my shooting mat which acted like a big snowshoe and me packing it down like a prarie dog with his ass in the air was a challenge. I was really missing the mono-pod because I am spoiled from having one on my 308. This is a stock MLR except for the chassis change out and the brake which replaced the factory brake. I am very pleased with the way it shoots so far before I ran out of ammo. Sight in was 100 yards with a POI for a 400 yard zero. So it shoots 5.24in high at 100 yards.

IMG_1426.jpg

Next image is using the mildot instead of the junction of the horizontal and vertical crosshair in my scope to punch the center of the target.

IMG_1425.jpg

The pressure on cases was good up until I reached 99grs and the bolt started to get a little stiff upon unlocking it. At 100grs it was very stiff but I did not have to strike the bolt handle hard with my palm to unlock it. I just unlocked it the normal way, max loading is 101grs which I did not test.

IMG_1433.jpg

Company called Dark-Metal, it is their H&K style Muzzle Brake. Oh yea my AICS is a CIP.

What is a fair price nowadays? Has anyone seen wholesale prices anywhere? Any in stock?

Hey Straight Shooter did you get that barrel yet and get it installed?

Very nice, I would love to see Stiller go big like Remington or Winchester, me personally they deserve it. Everyone starts small and they fit their nich, but I think their product can make everyone else sweat, just like Badgers actions if they went large.

Great day at the Chaffee County range today could not have asked for better weather, 5mph of wind. Wind was a little finicky head, tail and full value, but the mph stayed the same gave the Lapua and 308 a great work out today nothing like letting the horses run. Another shooter there with a 284 Lapua working on his loads with a chrono. 92grs of H1000 was the load that I settled on for my MLR with the 225gr Accubond. Just a damn good day for ringing steel.

So in you guys that have ones oppinion is the Remington 700P .338 Lapua worth the money as a starter .338

I`m pleased with mine.
Shoots fine for the money spent. I regularly get 5shot groups in the 2-3inch size at 300meters. Not great but i`m using this gun for hunting at 300m tops so it suits me fine
grin.gif
c908e473.jpg

a5348aa8.jpg

Nice boar!
which bullet do you use for hunting and how does it work on boars?
i used 250 game king in a trg 42 in the past and it didn't work better for me than a 200 gameking in a 300wm ,considering my longest shot on a boar was about 550 meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bob7-08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice boar!
which bullet do you use for hunting and how does it work on boars?
i used 250 game king in a trg 42 in the past and it didn't work better for me than a 200 gameking in a 300wm ,considering my longest shot on a boar was about 550 meters. </div></div>

The 250gameking is a devastating bullet atleast out to 300m. The meatloss can be severe though...
My latest huntingload is a healthy dose of Reloader 22 behind Barnes exellent 225TippedTSX-bullet. Doesnt "hammer" game quite as hard as the gameking but makes the job done anyways.
My 308win loaded with 155 A-maxes really put`em down to but i just had to have one of these 338 badboys
grin.gif

I think they are worth the money, but every man to himself for his own habits. But when I can wack a steel bowling pin in the head at 700 yards I am a happy man with the accuracy. If you handload you have to find the sweet spot for the rifle you own. No rifle is identical off of the production line and the rifles that hold sub moa groups have alot of man hours in them when they are developed and produced. There are alot of upgrades that can be done to the Remington over a period of time if you are on a budget. Remingtons can walk the walk and talk the talk if you have the time to make them better.

Yeah I am on a budget so I'm thinking this is most likely the way I am going to end up going and just build it up over time

That's how I started out with the 700P 338LM and ordered a 30" SS flutted barrel, and did some other work also. Then I figured I mite as well build it the way I wanted, and sold it. I have since ordered a Stiller TAC 338 action, an a XLR stock.

How was the accuracy with the 30 inch tube? I have started trying to figure out what I am going to use for a replacement barrel when I burn this one out.