• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

is this a 700p with green stock? thought it was the XCR but I'm not sure
IMG_6168.jpgIMG_4129.jpgIMG_8759.jpgIMG_7348.jpg

i feel you a remington 700 military and police in a 338 lapua, only a few ea year

It's a beast ! But it is a collector also ! If the bullets didn't cost that much i would be on it all day ! Waiting on my dies to come in as ee speak !

IMG_0808.jpgIMG_0809.jpgAnd a few more pics I tried to attach a range card for it too, but I can't figure out how to size it small enough. This rifle is shooting sub 1/2MOA with me behind it. I think with a good marksman it would do even better. Only had it out to 565yds so far, but it groups under 2.75" at that distance.

What is the difference between the two? I can't find any info on it

700P= Black HS Precision stock with aluminum bedding block, 24" CM barrel with 40 port brake.

XCR Tactical Long Range= Bell & Carlson stock with aluminum bedding block, 26" SS coated barrel with AAC brake.

Both come with the same bottom metal and 5 round DBM, which appear to be sourced from Accurate-Mag. Also, if I recall, both come equipped with the 40x, not X-mark, trigger.

Both are limited production. I think they each have only one run per year, and not very many are made.

Holy Shit Sniper Uncle that is a long tube! Have you done a chrono on it yet?

No, sorry, I didn't have time on the first two appearances with it, and I forgot the chrony the third time. I have been developing some loads using Reloader 50, and I think they hold a lot of promise. Target velocity on a Berger 300 OMT is 2825-FPS. This is with rather good pressures too. I shot two groups of 5 at 300yds, with groups about .9MOA---I know, not that great, but they are mostly horizontal in size---less than .3MOA vertical, and the wind was kicking up from left to right at full value. I know I am not good at guessing the wind, so I figure I was at fault there. Late that evening, when you could just see, we got a group with 250's at 565 yards of .45MOA.
I can't wait to get it back out again with a chrony and possibly some better conditions.

It will be interesting to see your data to see if the extra length is worth the weight. Maybe a carbon fiber barrel at that length if it makes the velocity and distance better.

Last edited:
Hi,

I wonder if anybody know if a Leupold QR will be able to stand up to the stress that can be generated by this rifle, I'm wondering since I've got an opportunity to buy a complete Leupold set with 30mm rings for a really good price.
I must of course change the bases so that they will accept the 8-40screws.

BR
Daniel

Tjenare toksmurfen!
Kul att du hittat till snajperforat :)

Enough swedish for now..
Why choose a tecnically poor scope-fastening-system?
Some form off onepiece picatinnyrail and proper rings and youre gtg.

Does anyone have any info/experience with the 700 XCR in .338? Fewer issues, or the same? Thinking the 5R 416 SS barrel, which is longer and has the AAC brake may perform better...

Yes... I do have a story about my 700 XCR 338.

I purchased my 700 XCR 338 Lapua in late 2012 and it came with:

HS stock
AAC brake --> PWS brake
Stainless barrel

I added:

Nightforce 40 MOA base, bedded with JB weld
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50mm LR --> Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50
Triad Tactical cheek pad

Ammunition:
Norma brass (Blackhills once fired brass)
H-1000
Hornady 285 Match bullets --> factory Hornady 250 BTHP ammunition

Preparation:

Over the years I have developed a pretty good technique with gas guns and regularly shoot 1/4" MOA with an LMT MWS (3-shot) and 1/2" MOA with an OBR (5-shot); both platforms have stock triggers. I also have two nearly stock 700s that shoot 1/4" MOA: 30-06 SPS with an HS stock and Vais brake and a VSSF 22-250; Remington CAN make some barrels. My point behind all this is that I can shoot well whether the trigger has a 6 vs 2.5 pound pull, single vs. two-stage or gas gun vs. bolt. I have shot 500g black powder rifles so I am familiar with recoil management. The barrel was hit with JB Bore Paste and Montana X-treme polish more times than I care to share but it looks like a mirror and a patch pulls through nice and smooth after a deep cleaning.

The XCR 338 Lapua...

Day 1:
On the first day out I had issues with the initial zeroing (starting loads) and chalked it up to the Leupold finally letting loose after all the rounds put through it. Nevertheless I fired a few shots from each load group and determined max pressure to be around 91.5g. I sent in the Leupold for inspection and they changed out some hardware based on the stringing I reported. After the scope came back I dropped that onto the 22-250 and ordered a Vortex Razor HD 5-20 mil.

Day 2:
I attempted to establish a zero and I managed to get the first few rounds close to center, maybe 3' at 100y (a mil mil setup really helps with this). I then started shooting 100y groups while working my way down from 92.0g to 86.0g and determined that the best group was 91.5g of H-1000, keep in mind most groups shot about the same. The highest velocity achieved with the 285 Match bullet was 2760 fps out of a 26" barrel, right at book velocity.

Day 3:
I then worked up quite a few rounds at 91.5g and attempted to shoot groups at 300y. After a five shot salvo I had what appeared to be an 8" group... not impressed. By this point in time I dared to remove the brake and after 20 punishing shots the groups remained between 6" and 8".

Day 4:
I took the rifle to the desert and shot at a 1/3 silhouette at 1,200 yards with the sole purpose of verifying the BC and MV; the 285 was .358 G7 and 2760 fps. The strange part about this story was how many hits I actually made on the target. The difference between shooting at the range off a mat vs the desert is that I had the bipod buried in the sand. This led me to believe that I had a major issue with harmonics and the stock brake did a superb job of coating the rifle and I in sand after each trigger pull, what a POS.

Day 5:
Perplexed by what could be causing these issues I searched high and low on many forums (probably 40 hours) and figured the 285s were too long for my setup and barrel contour. I coughed up $800 for 200 factory rounds of Hornady 250 BTHP with the hopes that a smaller pill would reduced the offensive harmonic; nothing changed.

Day 6:
After calling several smiths about truing the action and installing a new barrel I decided to bed the stock with Devcon Plastic Steel. Having worked with model planes the job came out better than expected; it took my girlfriend and I an hour to get the action and barrel free from the stock. When it finally came free the bedding looked nearly perfect. I checked for binding by untorquing each bottom bolt one at a time and verifying no change in the distance between the stock and the barrel. I then ditched the stock AAC brake for a PWS which has served me well in other applications. The trigger was removed and hit with a dremel buffing wheel and all the screws were readjusted.

Day 7:
The PWS brake reduced recoil drastically! The reworked trigger has about 1mm of slop however breaks clean at 2 pounds once taken up. The handloads and factory Hornady averaged 2 MOA with one 1.5 MOA group that laid out completely laterally, strange. The accuracy increased quite a bit however it is still unacceptable. I called Tubb and explained the ridiculous amount of copper fouling that takes place after a few rounds and he recommended 10-15 rounds of TMS.

I will keep this thread updated but I am not expecting much improvement. I cannot honestly recommend this rifle to anyone based upon this experience. For being advertised as an Extreme Conditions Long Range Tactical rifle it is a POS by any metric. The barrel fouls extremely fast, the receiver had hot spots where it sat in the HS aluminum bedding blocks and the brake is mostly aesthetic in contrast to other options available. Save the $1800 and put it towards a Sako or custom build.

17769d1380695463-remington-700-police-338-lapua-rifles-338.jpg

Attachments

• 338.jpg
    338.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Justice2.jpg

So this weekend I got out to Mifflin County. My wife and I got memberships at the MCSA range, and had two fantastic days of shooting. Sunday we started with my Rem700P build at 500 yards, and took it out to 1035 yards. I was shooting some 250 and 225 grain bullets I had loaded up before I got the build made. We had a great time. I got 5 hits at the 30" gong at 1035 yards, and offered for my wife to try it. I was using holds, as I didn't really want to mess with my zero's. I drew her a picture of the reticle (notice, i didn't say reticule, LOL), and the gong beside it, where it should be for the 1035yds, and damned if she didn't proceed to hit it the first shot, and the second...., and the third. She has never shot that rifle before, nor has she ever shot past 200 yards before. She did, however, go on to miss the next three.

I did some group testing for the RL-50 loads I have been working on------probably should refresh you all on the rifle:

Remington 700P action
Lilja Fluted 34" barrel with JP Recoil-Eliminator
Accurate Sports Chassis
NightForce 8-38x56 NXS with NPR-1 Reticle
Atlas Bi-pod
Barrel, Bolt, and Action are all melonited

Loads:
RL-50 in 96.4gr, 96.7gr, 97.0gr, 97.2gr, and 97.4gr charges
Barnes 300-OTX
Federal 215 Match Primers
Lapua 0-X Brass

The grouping was tested at 300 yards. I got varied results, but chronograph testing showed approximately 60-70 FPS lower than predicted by QL----done on a Magneto-Speed V-1, bought from www.camelot-tactical.com This does not really suprise me, as meloniting has been said to result in nearly 50 FPS velocity reduction. If you do the math, 50 FPS on a 25" barrel will be about 63 FPS on a 33" barrel, so in the ballpark.

The best vertical spread was noted from the 97.4gr load----.31MOA---which confirms my belief that I need to increase the charge a bit more to attain the OBT node I am looking for.

Headed to my place off the grid tomorrow to throw some rounds down range always makes me kiddy to shoot on my own personal range. Knife Edge you must have got a lemon, that just happens sometimes. Better luck on your next purchase in the future. Sniper Uncle what weight bullets did what since you used two different bullets. A gander at my range gents, plus I have chores to do to get ready for elk hunting season.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...823-colorado-places-shoot-people-shoot-7.html

Last edited:
Headed to my place off the grid tomorrow to throw some rounds down range always makes me kiddy to shoot on my own personal range. Knife Edge you must have got a lemon, that just happens sometimes. Better luck on your next purchase in the future. Sniper Uncle what weight bullets did what since you used two different bullets. A gander at my range gents, plus I have chores to do to get ready for elk hunting season.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...823-colorado-places-shoot-people-shoot-7.html

Nice animal.

In answer to your question, the 225's and 250's that I used were not made for this rifle---I made them when I had the old 26" barrel on it. I was simply using them up and shooting at the various distance gongs. I used up the 250's first, got a couple 1035 yd hits, and then switched to the 225's. I had to go for about 4.5 MOA more drop on the 225's, but we got a few hits with them at 1035 also. I didn't keep a whole lot of records on those, as I don't plan to use those bullets or those powders still.

Well I did not get time to shoot at the place that I normally get to shoot at between doing chores and getting the wife some trigger time on her 7mm-08. So I stopped at the range in Buena Vista to wack some steel on our way back home. Sniper Uncle thanks for the info on the loads, I am always curios to see how other shooters data is working for them. I just wish reloading components were not in such short supply. I like to do my shooting laying prone, with the bipod in the dirt. I am packing it up to put it back in the drag bag, if I had more time I would have shot at my place, weekends for shooting when big game season just kicked off are tough at this range.

Last edited:
i now accuracy international have manny different chassies who fitt for this....the Ax as you see below and the aw Stock,,,,and the newest one mrs......i am building mee one Remington 700 police 338 now and i have chosen the md tac-21 as u see one the pic....the Ax Stock is werry good and Nice,dempers alot of the recoil and the rifel have a good line With the boddy.(have one in 308 as u see on the pic)

Attachments

• telefon 098.jpg
    telefon 098.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 21
You going with the PRS stock for the Tac? I have a Tac set up on my 308 and my buddy has one for his 300WM. Real solid set up.

i now accuracy international have manny different chassies who fitt for this....the Ax as you see below and the aw Stock,,,,and the newest one mrs......i am building mee one Remington 700 police 338 now and i have chosen the md tac-21 as u see one the pic....the Ax Stock is werry good and Nice,dempers alot of the recoil and the rifel have a good line With the boddy.(have one in 308 as u see on the pic)

Yeah i like the setupp..have a g3....the tac setup looks a littel like the barret 338 settup i think...the lines are almost the same,would bee fun if somone put two of this guns NeXT too echoter and took a pic:)i now there is a big price difference,but is this the onely bigg difference..lol

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Heres mine!
Sent it to Mark at SAC to have it bedded and a Badger brake and bolt knob hung on it a year or so ago
Shoots decent, only pushed it out to 600yds or so and it out shoots me
The original barrel threads were off about .5000 so I lost a half inch or so of barrel

Last edited:
I had an issue with my 700 MLR in 338 LM when I went to put a railed scope base on it and found that even though my night force 8x40 base/screws were exactly what were supposed to fit they did not. I ended up calling Remington and I was pointed toward a badger ordinance base with 8x40 screws that Remington said had been designed to fit the rifle. For some reason only these base/screws were able to fit on my rifle. I was golden after that.

Droopz Remington made two different models of the 338 Lapua, the first was more of a hunting rifle with the flush mount magazine, ie the 700 and then the MLR came out with and extended magazine.

When I bought mine 5 years ago the box said Remington 700P MLR. It has the flush bottomed 5 round magazine. That being said the barrel simply says Remington 700. I topped it with a seekins precision 20 moa 1913 rail and seekins precision rings and a US Optics SN-3 3.5x17 scope with a Horus H-25 reticle. I also added a cheap memory foam pad to the stock pad which really tamed the recoil to the point where it can be shot all day long. Also a Harris Bipod.

Anybody run any Winchester Match through their MLR, I was just at Bass Pro Shop and they had it for $94.00 a box. 250 grain boat tail hollow point, muzzle velocity 2900fps. Is it worth the juice for accuracy?

I had an issue with my 700 MLR in 338 LM when I went to put a railed scope base on it and found that even though my night force 8x40 base/screws were exactly what were supposed to fit they did not. I ended up calling Remington and I was pointed toward a badger ordinance base with 8x40 screws that Remington said had been designed to fit the rifle. For some reason only these base/screws were able to fit on my rifle. I was golden after that.

I have one now and am ready to get optics and sight base. Im trying to avoid a nightmare. Im leaning towards the nightforce sightbase with rings all in one, I think its called the unimount ultra lite or something like that. Can you tell me how to acquire the correct screws to use this base or am I sol?

I have one now and am ready to get optics and sight base. Im trying to avoid a nightmare. Im leaning towards the nightforce sightbase with rings all in one, I think its called the unimount ultra lite or something like that. Can you tell me how to acquire the correct screws to use this base or am I sol?

They are 8x40 TPI screws, I actually went to home depot an bought a few 8x40 screws just for size comparison and fitting. I don't know what it was but only the badger screws and base fit my rifle. From what I know, as long as you make sure the screws/base are for 8x40 you should be fine.

Ok.. Yea, I just ordered the Badger Ordinance 20MOA base with the 8/40 screws. Remington recommends this base specifically and when I called Sniper Country PX to orser and get their recommendation, they confirmed this is the best base for this rifle in particular and I should be very content with it. So therefore, I orsered one and its on the way over to me. It wasnt cheap at $150 with shipping but I figure, spend the mkney now rather than half ass it with something that geta me by and then soend the money later plus that initial mistake. I cant wait to get this new optic mounted up and firing this awesome rifle! Thanx for the help on this as well.

Yeah I ended up wasting $135 on a nightforce base only to find out it didn't work, probably just save it for that 300 WM build down the road. Better to learn from the mistakes of others though :) . Glad I could offer some useful info.

I use a Valdada scope base, very good quality and they are steel, they come in 0 moa thru 35 moa, you should drop them an email. Another good year gentleman,

Here she is finished though!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384357882392.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384357882392.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 34
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384357866896.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384357866896.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 35
Nice looking rig Flea21! Have you put any rounds down range yet to see what it will do. Also what barrel are you using, length and twist rate?

Nice looking rig Flea21! Have you put any rounds down range yet to see what it will do. Also what barrel are you using, length and twist rate?

Thanx.. No I have not actually. The gunsmith told me its shooting .5moa and better. I just got it finished up and unfortunately I got hit by a car and was outa work for awhile. Finances are a bit low because of it and I plan on selling it to ease the stress. Ive never sold a rifle via internet tho, any good ideas?

Why Would ANYONE buy this for a build, when for less or the same money you can get a Custom .338 Action?

Cobracutter if it gets the job done why not? Flea21 sale it on Gun Broker or Guns America and just have it shipped from your gun dealer to the buyers gun dealer and split the shipping cost with the buyer or have the buyer cover it. Remember it has to go from one dealer with an FFL to another dealer with an FFL.

Cobracutter if it gets the job done why not? Flea21 sale it on Gun Broker or Guns America and just have it shipped from your gun dealer to the buyers gun dealer and split the shipping cost with the buyer or have the buyer cover it. Remember it has to go from one dealer with an FFL to another dealer with an FFL.

Oh yea.. agreed on the FFL thingy. Do those websites even work? I always see a bunch of crap on there way overpriced and just doesnt seem like its worth it.

Beacuse its a waste of money. If your going to true/rebarrel/restock (which you should considering normal rem shit quality and componets)... the only thing you will keep is the action, and maybe the BM. There are a good number of purpose built, custom actions that a trued 700 will never be. It just seems silly and a waste to me... When and if you sell it, you think people want a trued 700 (which will cost more) or a Surgeon XL or similar? Which will fetch more money?

Beacuse its a waste of money. If your going to true/rebarrel/restock (which you should considering normal rem shit quality and componets)... the only thing you will keep is the action, and maybe the BM. There are a good number of purpose built, custom actions that a trued 700 will never be. It just seems silly and a waste to me... When and if you sell it, you think people want a trued 700 (which will cost more) or a Surgeon XL or similar? Which will fetch more money?

Listen, you do and think what you want and I do what I want. I am loyal to the Remington 700 because ita been loyal to me as well as wvery us armed service branches and abroad. I had it cuz I fogured once I took it apart, why not!

I dont care for custom actions one bit. At the end of the day I have a 0.5 or less MOA rifle and that expensive proprietary action you speak of does about the same at its best sp it doesnt matter one bit!

Amen to that Flea21! On another note those web sites do work if your item is priced at a decent price. if you show the cost of the items that you have installed along with labor cost it is easier to sale for a custom weapon. You are right a lot of people try to sale their weapons like they are encrusted in diamonds on both of those sites.

Amen to that Flea21! On another note those web sites do work if your item is priced at a decent price. if you show the cost of the items that you have installed along with labor cost it is easier to sale for a custom weapon. You are right a lot of people try to sale their weapons like they are encrusted in diamonds on both of those sites.

Ok. Thanx for thw input. I just listed it on gunbroker. I didnt put the prices for each part and service but I dis price it accordingly again comsidering the optic which ia pretty pricey as well. Thats thenissue with these kindof rifles. The optics are $1K plus on top of what we already have in the actual rig itself.

Listen, you do and think what you want and I do what I want. I am loyal to the Remington 700 because ita been loyal to me as well as wvery us armed service branches and abroad. I had it cuz I fogured once I took it apart, why not!

I dont care for custom actions one bit. At the end of the day I have a 0.5 or less MOA rifle and that expensive proprietary action you speak of does about the same at its best sp it doesnt matter one bit!

And your still missing the point by a mile.

First of all. The 700's used in the military are hardly 700's. Donor actions, yes..... Completley reworked and built, yes. You don't think the Marines would love to start with a purpose built custom action with all the features they like?. Just beacuse the military uses something, does not mean anything but generally, they were the cheapest bidder and they were able to meet a bare minimum standard.

Second of all. Run the Numbers. How much does a 700P .338 Cost? If you plan to keep in bone stock, then Yea, its kind of a no brainer as far as price goes. If your going to rework it.... You are paying the same, IF NOT MORE for a bone stock, shitty QC remington factory .338 action as you would for Custome, purpose built action. You know, the 700 clones done right the first time... Add in truing, barrel, chanmbering, stock, DBM,ect.. and you are much better off starting with a custom action.

The 700 actions in .338 are just as propiretary as any custom action, so not sure what your getting at. If anything, they run the same stocks and accsesorries since most ARE CLONES.