• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Re: Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

I had my smith open out a EGW HD base but looking at their webshop they offer the 8x40 direct as an extra. No recoil lug but I've every confidence it'll do the job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pic of buildup:

IMG_20101202_182449.jpg
</div></div>

reloader powder is fairly dirty

Reloader is the carbon king of all time but it shouldn't be this deep on the outside of your necks this deep in one shot. Your load is either under pressure or too slow of powder for the bullet weight. The case pressure is not high enough or long enough to keep it sealed while the bullet is still in the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLACK LION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about scope bases??
There does not seem to be much available with 8/40 screws.
Leupold only has thier Mark 4 series.
I am having a hard time forking over 150.00 on a damn base.
WTF??</div></div>

Nightforce makes the correct base with the correct screws for that rifle....have it on mine.
DSC00469.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLACK LION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about scope bases??
There does not seem to be much available with 8/40 screws.
Leupold only has thier Mark 4 series.
I am having a hard time forking over 150.00 on a damn base.
WTF??</div></div>

Nightforce makes the correct base with the correct screws for that rifle....have it on mine.
DSC00469.jpg
</div></div>
When I set my Remington 338 up I used 30MOA Badger base. cant remember who I gotit from but they were in Missouri I am pretty sure.

got my badger base from Triad Tac. they had Badger modify it for the 8-40 screws. i got the 40 MOA base and my scope still zero's at 100.

Triad sounds like were I got mine. wish I would have gone with the 40MOA base.I dont think I culd have cleared the objective with the barrel.

Got my Badger base thru GAP. They had a good price on it and opened it up to 8-40 for free (and included the screws!). Can't beat that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">has anyone had their stock 700p bedded? is it needed? should i do it? thanks. </div></div>

I bedded mine after having the barrel set back, action trued, and heavier recoil lug installed. I machined out the recoil lug area of the HS stock so that the lug would be completely floated in epoxy. It has been shooting wonderfully, but it was shooting quite well before all the work. I had the barrel set back because the factory chamber had a defect in the machining and was ruining my brass (and then had all the other stuff done simply because I was having it torn apart anyways...)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">has anyone had their stock 700p bedded? is it needed? should i do it? thanks. </div></div>

I bedded mine after having the barrel set back, action trued, and heavier recoil lug installed. I machined out the recoil lug area of the HS stock so that the lug would be completely floated in epoxy. It has been shooting wonderfully, but it was shooting quite well before all the work. I had the barrel set back because the factory chamber had a defect in the machining and was ruining my brass (and then had all the other stuff done simply because I was having it torn apart anyways...) </div></div>

mine is still completely stock! eventaully i will put a new stock. would you suggest having the action trued before i put the new stock on and then bed it? is yours with the factory barrel? also, what is the benefit of haveing a heavier recoil lug? thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">has anyone had their stock 700p bedded? is it needed? should i do it? thanks. </div></div>
I bedded my action and scope base. reamed to a 338 improved chamber.
I am loading 101.5gr of H-1000 and a 225gr bullet at 3120fps out of the factory barrel.
I am at 6050' elevation

100 yard groups are easy 1/2" groups

I wouldnt bed the HS stock - and would certainly true the action before bedding the HS and or upgrade to a complete chassis system.

Im still pretty shocked about the reports of horrible inaccuracy - seems strange to me. I absolutely love mine and it shoots very tight groups.

Heavier recoil lug is just something you normally do when you true an action. No reason not to bed an HS stock; and I don't believe there's an upgrade going to a "complete chassis system". I've never had one of my rifles care if it's in a McMillan, HS, or B&C stock.....as long as it's bedded well they seem to all shoot well.

Don't worry about bedding yours; go shoot it. If it has issues, then you can start determining what you want to do to get it back on track.

So, the questing remains, How many rounds will our gun fire before shot out? usiing factory ammo.

Also how were our barrels rifled? Cut, Button, or Hammer Forged?

what shoud I look for on the crown of the rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjevanoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what shoud I look for on the crown of the rifle? </div></div>

Look to see that it is smooth. One I saw looked like it was cut with a pipe reamer. With chatter.

Hey guys I am getting ready to buy my mount and rings for my 700P 338 and would like to know if the mount holes are for 8-40 screws or not. Believe mine was made in 2010.

Thanks Guys

8-40, make sure your base is a 8-40. and not for a standard Remington LA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heavier recoil lug is just something you normally do when you true an action. No reason not to bed an HS stock; and I don't believe there's an upgrade going to a "complete chassis system". I've never had one of my rifles care if it's in a McMillan, HS, or B&C stock.....as long as it's bedded well they seem to all shoot well.

Don't worry about bedding yours; go shoot it. If it has issues, then you can start determining what you want to do to get it back on track. </div></div>

A chassis with a full length bedding block is an upgrade. KMW's sentinel, AICS/AX, XLR and Ashbury Saber are examples of such. I dont really see why bedding a 300 dollar stock makes sense unless you really like the stock. You can sell the stock, put the money you make + the cost of bedding towards a chassis system you can interchange easier in the future.

Bedding is something you can and should learn how to do. It doesn't have to be complicated.

The popularity of chassis systems irritates me. Actually its the guys that put guns with POS factory barrels in chassis systems that bugs me the most. People think that somehow the bedding/stock/chassis is the critical piece when If they were to spend that money on a broughton/rock/krieger etc barrel it would be exponentially better even in a junk stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lafayette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heavier recoil lug is just something you normally do when you true an action. No reason not to bed an HS stock; and I don't believe there's an upgrade going to a "complete chassis system". I've never had one of my rifles care if it's in a McMillan, HS, or B&C stock.....as long as it's bedded well they seem to all shoot well.

Don't worry about bedding yours; go shoot it. If it has issues, then you can start determining what you want to do to get it back on track. </div></div>

A chassis with a full length bedding block is an upgrade. KMW's sentinel, AICS/AX, XLR and Ashbury Saber are examples of such. I dont really see why bedding a 300 dollar stock makes sense unless you really like the stock. You can sell the stock, put the money you make + the cost of bedding towards a chassis system you can interchange easier in the future. </div></div>

I've just never seen a performance difference between those stocks. I don't buy the marketing, and you'll never see anyoe offer quantifiable evidence.

Do you really believe that moving a barreled action from a bedded HS Precision stock into an AICS will make it shoot better? I 100% disagree based on my own experiences. Also, I don't understand your logic of "not bedding a $300 stock". Bedding a stock costs me about $15 worth of MarineTex and a couple hours of my time....why not do it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robpiat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bedding is something you can and should learn how to do. It doesn't have to be complicated.

The popularity of chassis systems irritates me. Actually its the guys that put guns with POS factory barrels in chassis systems that bugs me the most. People think that somehow the bedding/stock/chassis is the critical piece when If they were to spend that money on a broughton/rock/krieger etc barrel it would be exponentially better even in a junk stock.

</div></div>

Hey now! Take it easy!
laugh.gif
I love my AICS chassis' - I have a SA & a LA. You're absolutely right in that a fancy chassis system serves little more than a new paint job in terms of improving accuracy - a well-fitted custom barrel has the most impact,... literally
wink.gif
However, I like to swap out actions and barrels (custom & factory) frequently and having a nice chassis system on hand makes it simple,... plus they looks COOL(!) and isn't that what matters?
wink.gif
Just kidding,... I just like the AICS chassis and I like the familiarity I have with it when shooting,... nothin' wrong with a fancy chassis,... as long as you realize you're only upgrading the ergonomics and handling/features to fit you the shooter,... for 'accuracy', you need to look elsewhere.

Ry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blurry6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robpiat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bedding is something you can and should learn how to do. It doesn't have to be complicated.

</div></div>

Hey now! Take it easy!
laugh.gif
I love my AICS chassis' - I have a SA & a LA. You're absolutely right in that a fancy chassis system serves little more than a new paint job in terms of improving accuracy - a well-fitted custom barrel has the most impact,... literally
wink.gif
However, I like to swap out actions and barrels (custom & factory) frequently and having a nice chassis system on hand makes it simple,... plus they looks COOL(!) and isn't that what matters?
wink.gif
Just kidding,... I just like the AICS chassis and I like the familiarity I have with it when shooting,... nothin' wrong with a fancy chassis,... as long as you realize you're only upgrading the ergonomics and handling/features to fit you the shooter,... for 'accuracy', you need to look elsewhere.

Ry </div></div>

I am not saying that chassis are bad or even that they are not worth the money. People that put a $1500 scope and a $1000 chassis on a Remington LTR baffle me and there are alot of them out there.

Mine shoot's well enough to just Impress the Hell outta me! No I havent shot 20 10shot group's to see what it will do But on several occasions It has put 5rd's in a 1/2" at 200yds with handloads. I did have mine bedded and had a Badger Brake installed and It shot about the same as before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DougW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine shoot's well enough to just Impress the Hell outta me! No I havent shot 20 10shot group's to see what it will do But on several occasions It has put 5rd's in a 1/2" at 200yds with handloads. I did have mine bedded and had a Badger Brake installed and It shot about the same as before. </div></div>

Hey Doug,

What bullet and powder are you running? I've experimented with the 300SMK's and had good success but just got my first box of 250 Scenars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DougW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine shoot's well enough to just Impress the Hell outta me! No I havent shot 20 10shot group's to see what it will do But on several occasions It has put 5rd's in a 1/2" at 200yds with handloads. I did have mine bedded and had a Badger Brake installed and It shot about the same as before. </div></div>

Hey Doug,

What bullet and powder are you running? I've experimented with the 300SMK's and had good success but just got my first box of 250 Scenars. </div></div>

My most accurate load has been a max book load with 300gr SMK and IMR4350 with Lapua brass and CCI primers. I also had really good results with R22 and H-1000 But I didnt get the velosity I was after with the latter two.

I've had really good luck with some old Bell brass that I've had for year's and I cant tell a difference between it and the Lapua brass to be honest. So if ya see any laying around I would scarf it up!

I havent shot any High BC 250's yet since I really havent had the need too but I did play with some Hornady 250's for a hunting load and they shot suprising well out to 400yds.

Track down DaLawDog as he is getting some smoking results with the 250 scenars

Doug

Thanks Doug. I had good results with the 300SMK and a max book charge of Retumbo (in Lapua brass, Fed 215M primer). I was loading them about .020" off the lands.

I'll PM DaLawDawg and see what he suggests.

can you give us your 'max charge'? We can infer the rest - start a couple grains down and work up.

I have a distributor with 2 available last week will these rifles still bring $1550.00 new?
I might buy one to sell here if I can make it worth doing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Cutright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a distributor with 2 available last week will these rifles still bring $1550.00 new?
I might buy one to sell here if I can make it worth doing. </div></div>

Only need 99 more posts to be able to sell it on here. Might be able to get 1550, depends if you're in a hurry to sell it or not.

Yeah I knew there was something about that when I signed up again.
I found these two rifles and bought one for me and left the other then got to thinking someone else might be looking for one.
They said they never had any of the $999.00 models. I've got $1400.00 in mine with freight.

Shot some rounds at 1400yards 2 weeks back, had couple rounds left so I stretched it out to over 2k.

I estimated the distance at 2083 yards so that's what I dialed for, hit low on the first shot and correct for a follow up shot and hit. Based on hitting low, I am thining the actual distance was around 2150, will confirm that with gps next time i am out.

Camera was maxed at 48x, couldn't get in any closer with it...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ugpZ8JYrfL4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ugpZ8JYrfL4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

any estimate on how effective that brake is, specifically compared to the stock brake?

Anyone know if there are any more of these available? and where i could get one?

Local shop has an MLR with US Optics base for sale...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .sk.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not quite MLR, but looks like.))</div></div>

now you are just being an annoying troll. your alleged issue with an hs precision rifle has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.