• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Re: Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nimzoblanca</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I switched to 250g SMK's, tried 88.0g of RL19 and 95.0g and 96.0g of Retumbo. No discernible change, I'm still getting 2-2.5" 5-shot groups. Interestingly,I loaded one batch with an OAL of 3.670 and put 4 of the 5 in 1/2". All other groups were with 3.685 OAL. I chalk up that one group to luck.

Trying to think about this logically, it's gotta be the ammo, the shooter, or the rifle. It could certainly be the nut behind the trigger. My other precision rig is a 308 (Rem 700 LTR) which I also handload for, and I've never had issues with it. Definitely a 1/2 MOA gun.

I suppose my handloads need fine tuning, but 2-2.5" groups? I guess my next move is to pony up for some match grade factory ammo to see if that shoots better. They didn't have any 338 Lapua ammo at Cabelas. Any suggestions on factory ammo to try and where to get it? </div></div>

No offense intended whatsoever....but....any chance you just aren't able to shoot the rifle well yet? Do you have any shooting buddies that have demonstrated on a similar caliber their ability to hold sub MOA? If so, consider letting them try your rifle. Speaking for myself, I can hold .3 MOA or so with my .308, but only 1.5 MOA with my .338LM. I've put 40 rounds through it so far, and I've come to realize that load development is pointless for me right now. I need to learn how to shoot it, and get used to the recoil first. Like you said - kicks like a mule!

Using a dollar bill I'm able to slide the bill along the length of the barrel with no binding against the stock. So no obvious problem there.

Then I separated the action from the stock. Not sure if I found a problem, but this sure looks suspicious. Near the muzzle-end of the stock channel is evidence of rubbing (1st pic). On the belly of the barrel you can see where the finish is worn and contacting the stock at this point (2nd pic). Any ideas here? Could this be my problem? (Or at least one of them - still have the nut behind the trigger!)

Rem338stock.jpg

Rem338bbl.jpg

I would say that is at least an issue you should correct. A slow-mo video of barrel flex on the 338LM would sure tell a tale. Kinda makes me wanna look at mine but it's shooting too good for me now so i don't even wanna know...lol.

Well, I couldn't stand it and looked at the forend on mine and there was no contact evidence at the same place you have or any other places.

Clean the barrel channel of any debrie and wipe the barrel down to make sure there is no oil on it. Then get some chalk and put it on the bottom of the barrel and then re-install the action and barrel back in the stock, re-torque it back down and shoot it again. The chalk will let you know if the barrel is contacting the stock in the barrel channel when you take it back apart. It will mark the barrel channel and show you where to relieve it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who Dat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clean the barrel channel of any debrie and wipe the barrel down to make sure there is no oil on it. Then get some chalk and put it on the bottom of the barrel and then re-install the action and barrel back in the stock, re-torque it back down and shoot it again. The chalk will let you know if the barrel is contacting the stock in the barrel channel when you take it back apart. It will mark the barrel channel and show you where to relieve it. </div></div>

At this point, I think it's pretty obvious there is contact ocurring.

Next step is fixing it... I've had good luck wrapping some 80-grit sandpaper around a hunk of 1" (or so) dowel. You'll be able to work that spot in in no time at all. Finish with finer paper as required/desired.

Hope it fixes the accuracy issues! I was playing around with my Savage 10FP at about 100 yards a couple years ago, and after hammering a 2" swinger for a while, I decided to see what happened if I removed my bipod, and rested the barrel off a milk-crate instead. The result? I couldn't hit that 2" swinger if my life depended on it. Makes a big difference!

You are right but if that is barrel flex as he stated he is going to lose a little more finish on his barrel chasing contact points after numerous rounds, even after he sands it down. No barrel is perfectly straight, yes it does make a big difference resting a free float barrel on something. Nothing like bending the tuning fork.

That is probably your problem. Mine didn't show half that much contact and still shot inconsistent. It looks like you have a lot of contact right there. Take the stock down the the hardware store and get a dowel as suggested with 80 grit sandpaper. Relieve the barrel channel back down to almost the lug area. I had to do mine quite a bit since the barrel flexes alot.

After you are done you can test your work by bolting in the action and pushing down on the barrel to see if you can get it to contact the stock. With a hard push you should be able to flex the barrel but not contact the stock.

Went to the range with my new gun yesterday and made a proper break-in.
First cleaning(remington´s own testshots)was a bitch to get rid of...

Today i went to the range with a bag full of testloads with Sierra 250grs gameking-bullets.
Used Norma MRP powder(equal to Reloader22)and found a nice load at 88.0grs. Speed was 2870f/s and awg group spread just below one inch for 5 shots at 100meters.

Heading for the woods now to try and hammer a boar with the rifle.

Will try some Scenars and SMK next week and i bet they will tight up the groups a bit or two
smile.gif

Damn this gun is FUN to shoot
laugh.gif
!

Oh, almost forgot these...

Last week when in the gun-store.
e35ca9a9.jpg

Load evaluation.
6c764af2.jpg

Flowery...
IMG_0006.jpg

Had two friends with me to the range and we shot rifles in these calibers.
Any of you sharpeyed "hiders" know what cartridges they are
whistle.gif
?
b3b7e81e.jpg

I had a 7/8" piece of copper plumbing pipe lying around, so I wrapped it with 60-grit coarse sandpaper and sanded out the barrel channel in the stock. Much bigger clearance between barrel and stock now.

Also acquired some Lapua factory ammo (250g and 300g Scenars). Damn that stuff's expensive.

Results were that my groups tightened up. Not so much with the 300g ammo, but definitely a big improvement with the 250g Scenars. Maybe my rifle likes the 250g stuff better. It was windy as hell, but my 5-shot group results were:

Group 1: 250g Scenars - 1.5", best 4 1.25", best 3 0.75"

Group 2: 300g Scenars - 2.5", best 4 1.63", best 3 1"

Group 3: 250g Scenars - 1.5", best 4 1", best 3 0.38"
(note: The wind was really kicking up at this point and the 1.5" spread was all in windage, the vertical spread was less than 1/2")

Group 4: 300g Scenars - 1.75", best 4 1.38", best 3 0.88"
(Wind was real bad at this point and I'll be the first to admit I probably shot this group too fast)

I still have a lot of range work to do, but all in all things went better.

BTW, I chronoed the factory Lapua ammo. The 250g ammo averaged 2860 fps and the 300g ammo averaged 2696 fps. Somewhat less than my handloads. Maybe I need to back off on my handloads.

Nice work, look forward to seeing what your groups look like on a calm day. What did you re-torque at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who Dat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What did you re-torque at? </div></div>
Gulp! I don't have a torque wrench with allen head fittings, so I did it the billy-bob way and cinched it up by feel alone. Yes, I've been bad.

Got the new rifle out to the range for it's first session last weekend. Zero'd the scope and fired 16 rounds total. Here is my first attempt at a 3 shot group at 100 yards after setting zero. This is my first bolt rifle or precision rifle period, so the gun is easily outshooting me at this point.

I hand load my own ammo. These shots are Sierra 250g MK, 90g Retumbo, CCI #250, and Hornady brass.

first_lapua_group.jpg

Nice! Practice makes perfect. Still waiting for the parts and pieces to come in for mine. Tick, tick, tick I can here the clock.
frown.gif

Picked up the .338 from the gunsmith this week. I had the stock compensator on the barrel removed and installed a Holland Radical Baffle Muzzle Brake. I hope it works half as good as it looks!

I will finally get lots of pictures this weekend hopefully, and post later. The rifle is too much fun to shoot!

Just found out my local long distance range is having an open house this weekend. The first day of being open and everyone that had cabin fever this past winter will be there except me. I have no bolts for my shooting irons. Tick, tick, tick there goes that clock again
whistle.gif

Well, I have had my Remington for a while now and still haven't fired it. Slowly building it up the way I want. I did have a couple of questions I wanted to ask you guys.
Have any of you polished the bore or fire lapped your rifle and what break in procedure did you use. I am thinking about polishing the bore before I take it out. Yes, if you do this incorrectly the consequeces can be devestating, but if you have ever tried to polish a piece of metal with 4,5 or 600 grit sand paper you realize you will be there for a very long time. The amount of material remove by said grit will be miniscule. I do agree that lapping is something that should be undertaken by a profesional but certianly we can polish the bore to help remove some of the tool marks and reduce fouling.what are your opinions?

I an waiting for my scope base and ring to arrive. I have fabricated my own beak. I will have pictures up soon.

Before you go boring out your barrel do you have a borescope?

Have you at least passed an oiled lead slug through it to get an idea of it's interior features and diameters?

At this point for you I would do no more than a thorough cleaning with Hollands Witches Brew. It has a superfine aluminum oxide in it that breaks down with each pass. It will ever so slightly polish the bore without making it too smooth.

If you mirror polish the bore it will foul worse than if you didn't do anything to it. Tools marks are not really that big of deal unless it they are ripping up bullet jackets. The borescope and the lead slug will tell you if it is needed.

After you fabricated your own <span style="color: #FF0000">beak</span> did you put it on yourself? I would be interested to see a picture of that.
shocked.gif

I can't figure out how to add picures.....HELP???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjevanoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't figure out how to add picures.....HELP??? </div></div>

get a free photobucket account and upload a picture to an album. While viewing the picture copy the IMG code and past it in the reply box.

Here is a picture of my muzzle break if I loaded the pictures correctly. This is my first one and if i decided to do another one there are a couple of things I would do differently. Anyway it is made out of a peice of 1 1/2" solid 316 SS. It is ported at 15 degrees.
[img:center]
DSC_0692.jpg
[/img]
[img:center]
DSC_0693.jpg
[/img]

Nice job, the blending to the barrel looks really good. I would have the bore and chamber inspected first before you start trying to make it look better. I know per this forum there has been one or two guys that got terrible barrels. I took mine in right away after I purchased it new to have it inspected and it was mint. I am going to wait to fire mine to see how it groups before I do anything to it. I am just going to use Lapua factory ammo for the sight in so that I know what the weapon will do.

Thanks, I have a lot of time invested in that thing. Still not done with it, still have to paint it and do a little more cleaning up.
Haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do yet. I'll call some gun shops around here and see if they have a bore scope, but I live in a small town so chances are slim. Where are you going to get your Lapua Factory ammo, seems to be kinda hard to find.

That is a nice looking brake.

For ammo I would strongly consider loading for it if you don't already. Factory ammo is crazy expensive and somewhat limited bullet choices. Third Generation shooting supply and Grafs and sons have components for the 338 Lapua.

Even loading for mine I was unable to get any speed with the 300 grain bullets so the trajectory is almost identicle to the 308. To me this was unacceptable so I have a 30" barrel on order for mine. With that I should be able to get 2900 fps out of the 300 grain bullets and make this rifle the 1500 yard to 1 mile rifle it should be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a nice looking brake.

For ammo I would strongly consider loading for it if you don't already. Factory ammo is crazy expensive and somewhat limited bullet choices. Third Generation shooting supply and Grafs and sons have components for the 338 Lapua.

Even loading for mine I was unable to get any speed with the 300 grain bullets so the trajectory is almost identicle to the 308. To me this was unacceptable so I have a 30" barrel on order for mine. With that I should be able to get 2900 fps out of the 300 grain bullets and make this rifle the 1500 yard to 1 mile rifle it should be.

</div></div>

That's strange you couldn't get any velocity out of your stock barrel with the 300's? I am getting 2825FPS with a 300 SMK and 94.0 Retumbo. Even as low as 90.0 Retumbo I can achieve 2670FPS, 91.0 was 2710FPS. Can't remember the MV numbers for 92-93.

When I got to 2800 I was having deep extractor plunger marks and stcky bolt lift on Lapua brass. I tried it for awhile around 2750 and my brass is still getting beat on pretty good. It's happiest at 2650. A 338 Lapua needs/deserves more than a 23 1/2 barrel. As the velocity went up the accuracy got worse. Extreme spreads were also unacceptable averaging well over 50 fps.

I don't mind switching the barrel. It's what I do. I have a brand new 338 Lapua Tactical Match reamer to try. Dave Kiff said it should help tighten up our groups too.

The reason I am using factory loads first is because most factory chambers are cut to SAAMI specs. So I would like to see how well it groups off of that first before I start handloading for it. If the factory loads are showing pressure signs, that means the chamber was not cut right or the headspacing is off. Also Lapua ammo is easy to get depending on who you know
cool.gif
Graf & Sons has it!

Lots of great info in this thread. I'm starting to save my pennies for one. Is Remington still making these or is it a what's out there is it type thing?

Rumor is around 200 are made each year in a single run. Once they are gone it's waiting for the next run to occur.

Best bet is finding one used, they pop up on GunBroker from time to time. However, if you want to make sure it's a good shooter verify it was a 2010 run and not the 2009 run.

I had to vote have not shot it yet to see if others were happy.
Yes 20
No 5
have not shot it yet 41

I have a AR-30 in 338LM and becides not being happy with the company I am happy with that rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I got to 2800 I was having deep extractor plunger marks and stcky bolt lift on Lapua brass. I tried it for awhile around 2750 and my brass is still getting beat on pretty good. It's happiest at 2650. A 338 Lapua needs/deserves more than a 23 1/2 barrel. As the velocity went up the accuracy got worse. Extreme spreads were also unacceptable averaging well over 50 fps.

I don't mind switching the barrel. It's what I do. I have a brand new 338 Lapua Tactical Match reamer to try. Dave Kiff said it should help tighten up our groups too. </div></div>

Hired Gun, if you do try swapping out the barrel I'd be really keen to hear the results. Would you do some truing on the action at the same time or just do a straight swap?

I am finding that my rifle likes slower velocities with the heavier bullets, my current load is 81 grains VV N165 with 300 gr Scenar.

This thread has been quite lately. Lets see some more of your gun pics and results on target. How are they shooting? What are the groups like at 500, 800, 1000, etc. yards?

I'm interested in getting one and probably can pick one up for $1500.

If you can get one for that price snag it, the prices on them have been going up steadly. I am almost done with my build, should be shooting it next month. I will take some pics at the range and then post them. That is the only thing about a build everyone takes their time to make sure they get it right. Just like that old Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time" but in this incident it did cost a lot of dimes.
smirk.gif

Just acquired a 700P with a XLR Industries stock. Should start load development next week. Thinking about waiting for the Berger Hybrids.

I'll be posting pics and progress in the near future.

Im looking at picking this up here shortly and was wondering what aftermarket stock people are running. My .308 Howa is on a B&C Tactical but with this one I want to ensure the highest quality as I pursue the build. Any Suggestions?

AICS CIP so that you can use the longer bullets and get great accuracy. I have a Remington 308 in this system and love it I like the 1.5 and others like the 2.0. When you look at the cost of aquiring the stock and bottom metal for a DBM system the cost is pretty close to the AICS system and you can assemble it yourself in 15 minutes. The system is tough as nails also. There is nothing wrong with your B&C Tactical my partner has one with a Wyatts DBM system on his 308. Just comes down to how much money you want to spend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blkside</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im looking at picking this up here shortly and was wondering what aftermarket stock people are running. My .308 Howa is on a B&C Tactical but with this one I want to ensure the highest quality as I pursue the build. Any Suggestions? </div></div>

I am running the XLR chassis on my MLR. I weighed the pro's and con's of both the XLR and the AICS and settled on the XLR.

Having owned both the AICS in 1.5 & 2.0 versions, I was naturally favoring them. However, after I talked to some of the guys running XLR's I went that route.

Definitely look at the AICS CIP length mags in whichever system/stock you go with. My handloads are longer than the standard 3.6" that the regular AI 338 mags allow. With the CIP length mags, you can seat out past 3.7" COAL and get them closer to the lands and roll out the 300's without sacrificing case capacity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blkside</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im looking at picking this up here shortly and was wondering what aftermarket stock people are running. My .308 Howa is on a B&C Tactical but with this one I want to ensure the highest quality as I pursue the build. Any Suggestions? </div></div>

I too an running a XLR chassis on my 700P. I don't have any experience with the AICS, but the XLR is the poop!

When I received it, it had the ACE folder option and a PRS stock. For mostly aesthetic reasons I changed it out for the XLR tactical butt stock. The tac stock is rock-solid and very adjustable. I couldn't be more happy with this system.

I recently put about 20 load development rounds down this past weekend, I'll be totally honest and say that this gun is a beast. Till now I've been shooting a 700SPS in .308 with a SAS QD muzzle break. The 700P with the factory muzzle break was kickin so hard it was nearly knocking my hearing protection off after each shot. I'm hoping that the Fat Bastard MB I've got on order will help.

Using 300gr Scenars and H1000 powder, groups were between .78"-1.78" around 2600FPS. Haven't messed with OAL yet. Probably gonna try some Retumbo loads next week.

But back to my original point... the XLR chassis is awesome. Mine was purchased used and I've had 2 small issues with it that weren't accurately described to me by the seller, but Kyle at XLR remedied both of these issues in short order and in a manner that was more than I would expect, which only adds to how awesome both the chassis and XLR Industries are.

Keep posting the info on using the H1000 powder. I use it in my 7mag and 7stw I really like it for the accuracy I get out of it.

So is the Remy factory barrels on these 338 MLR's Chrome Moly or Stainless?

I'm not referring to the color. Just wondering if they are stainless under the parkerizing.

It`s CrMo or as Remington prefers to call it -ordnance steel-.

I`ve been gettin quite "irregular" groups with my gun so i remowed the stock from the reciever and found "barrelwhip-marks" in the stocks barrelchannel...the pipe is floated but still hits the stock when fired.
Sanding in progress...

Re: Please HELP! Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua

Please HELP! Has anyone removed the Factory muzzle brake on the Rem 700 Police 338LM? I need to verify the thread pitch in order to replace it. I also need reccomendations on how to remove the factory brake.
T.I.A.

Hired Gun, I Got it off. Very little force used after heating.
Thanks

Well the brake issue is solved. Trigger adjusted to 2#'s. Next question, what is the torque setting on the action screws? 65"#'s front and back?