• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Recall on X-Mark Pro Triggers

I have Two Rifles subject to the "Recall". I received the "Shipping Labels in an E-mail back about the middle of May and the boxes a couple of weeks ago. Frankly the "Boxes" "Do Not Inspire Confidence" in the condition the Rifles will arrive in. Considering the price these Rifles came to I would have thought something a little stronger would have been in order. I don't think I'm putting close to $2K worth of Rifles in Cheezy boxes with Cheezy Styrofoam inserts, one size fits all. I think that's crap.

Oh yeah.... I forgot to mention that when I ordered the Timney straight from them - they sent me a Tootsie-Pop in the box too... Remington isn't going to send your rifles back for 3 + months - and they sure ain't gonna send you any candy with it either!

Took them 2 months, 1.5 if you don't count the 2 weeks wasted for shipping time and I live on the opposite coast from them.

Jewell, phffft.

I love the feel of Jewell triggers but in my experience they aren't field friendly. Just shot at a match with a lot of wind and sand. Every guy I knew at the match with Jewell's had their triggers act up. Get sand in those things and your screwed. If I were a benchrester, no problem. But in a field scenario, I like the Timneys.

My rifle looks good upon its return. The paperwork said they "replaced fire control with updated xmp fire control". The trigger feels pretty good. It breaks clean with only a minimal amount of creep that I felt before the recall. I don't have a pull gauge so I don't know what the pull weight is, but it feels fairly light. I'll advise when I can measure it. In general I am pretty happy with Remington's response. When I fially get to shoot it I'll know more.

I put in my request on 5/24/14. The Empty box arrived on 6/3/14 and Remington received my rifle on 6/9/14. I am now just patiently waiting.

Someone here with a good DSLR should take a set of clean well-focused shots of the original XMP trigger, send the rifle out for the recall repair, and then take shots of the replacement trigger when they get it back, and post them so we can see what if anything is actually being done.

On another note:
Consider yourself lucky that you are not in Canada.
The RemingtonCanada.com website has a notice and link regarding the recall.
The recall link, recall information page, and recall contact information is all for Remington USA, where you then receive a message that they don't do international trigger replacements.
GravelAgency.com, the Remington Authorized Repair Center in Canada has the identical recall information cut/pasted from RemingtonCanada.com, with the same contact information to Remington USA, where you still and again receive the same message that they don't do international trigger replacements.
According to what the Gravel Agency reps have supposedly said: "There will be a meeting ... to decide how this will be handled.", ... and ... with no public response from them yet in 3+ months.
It looks like Remington Canada is just ignoring the recall via pass-the-buck and hoping that it magically goes away, that Canadians will just get frustrated with the wait and lack of recall guidelines, and simply replace the trigger with a Timney/Jewell/etc. so that it doesn't cost Remington/Gravel anything to repair.
Large firearm dealers/retailers have been taken care of but not the consumers.
There is lots of anger over on the CGN forums regarding it.
I don't think they realize that screwing over the consumer like this is going to lose them significant future sales.

My rifle looks good upon its return. The paperwork said they "replaced fire control with updated xmp fire control". The trigger feels pretty good. It breaks clean with only a minimal amount of creep that I felt before the recall. I don't have a pull gauge so I don't know what the pull weight is, but it feels fairly light. I'll advise when I can measure it. In general I am pretty happy with Remington's response. When I fially get to shoot it I'll know more.

I was able to measure my trigger pull upon its return from Remington. Almost 6 pounds. I "adjusted"the silly little screw in the trigger all the way out and get 4.5lbs. which is still way too heavy. I am going to take it to a gunsmith and have it lowered if possible. If he can't get it down far enough (in the 2-3lb range) then I will bite the bullet and get a Timney. I like how the XMP breaks. Its just too heavy.

Devldogs55 is not bullshitting about the tootsie-roll lollipop from Timney and if Remington had been smart we would have just sent in the trigger group for inspection and call it a day. Shit makes me wonder why the action and barrel. Between sending you a box and paying for freight both ways and insurance they are pretty much paying for a new trigger at their cost. Shit that makes you say hmmmmm!

This boondoggle by Remington is hitting us hard too. I have 60 duty rifles to deal with and I'm not about to pull all of those scopes and send these in. We've discussed replacing all the XMP triggers with Timneys but they're all backordered. We haven't had any problems but since Remington went public but we cannot take the risk. I'd like to find the goober that screwed this up and lock him in a room full of pissed off hornets.

I am seeing some R700's hitting the shelves at the local Cabela's. Even a few Long Ranges, SPS Tacticals, and ADL Varmints.

One of my 2 R700s has the recalled trigger. I'm lucky enough to have a authorized repair center here in town that can take care of it with a 1-3 day turn around. I still may get a Timney.

On another note, all you guys that have decided to 'take your chances' need to be extra careful. Follow the 4 basic rules and nobody gets hurt. However, since you know about the recall, if someone were to be hurt, it's no longer an accident it's negligence. I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Remington sent me an email and said due to the volume of rifles coming in expect a minimum of a 12 week turnaround time from when they receive your rifle.

A shout-out to Timney. I ordered replacements for my Remmies direct...they preset at your requested pull weight, deliver promptly and they work as advertised. The tootsie roll pop is a sweet extra. Great company.

FH

After getting a shit box from UPS, I spent an extra $18.00 to make sure the rifle would not get totally f'd going back to Remington.

So far I have only received a conformation email stating Remington received the rifle. There is a code that can be used to check the status but it only says the rifle has been checked in.

SWFA sent an ad thru my email to buy the Timney trigger inlieu of doing the recall wait... so I ordered the Timney.

My 700 5R was on the recall list. I called Remington CS to question turnaround time and was told "around 12 weeks". That was too long and could easily turn into 12 months once the "lazy" hunting crowd finally tunes in and finds out about the recall. I asked if there were any other options and was told that the nearest authorized warranty repair center to me in East Texas was in Comanche, TX at LSG, Inc. (Lone Star Guns). A trip to the deer lease in West Texas was in order anyway so I left a couple of hours earlier and detoured down to Comanche and LSG to meet the gunsmith, Frank White. I called first to tell him I was coming and determine if he had an extra, non-committed trigger. Mr. White confirmed that one was available and the trip was on. After finally finding the place, (its 10 miles out in the middle of nowhere), the repair was done on the spot in 15 minutes. The "old" XMP was removed and the "new" XMP was installed. No fiddling or cleaning of the old trigger. He told me the cause of the recall was "some idiot got carried away with the hot glue". Nothing came off the gun except the stock so re-zeroing was in order when I got home. Trigger pull was set at 4.0 pounds, measured. I asked for 2.0 pounds. I was told that Remington would not allow him to set the pull weight lower than 4.0 pounds. I wanted the gun back. I agreed to 4.0 pounds. I have since taken the gun to the range. The "new" XMP trigger feels exactly like the old one, except for the pull weight. The gun is still a shooter, grouping at 0.5 MOA at 100 yds. I surely understand the angst and the desire to go to Timneys, etc. as I have a Timney on another rifle. My only whine about the Timneys is the actual trigger shoe. Its thin. I like the fatter, flat trigger shoe of the XMPs as they seem to fit my finger better when hunting. LSG is the only factory authorized Remington warranty center in the entire state of Texas. The next closest repair center is in Tulsa, OK according to Mr. White. He is swamped with this recall but is as nice as they come and wiling to work with times for people. Hope this helps the Hide members in TX as they decide whether to send their rifle back to Remington or to one of the repair centers.

Cozmo, glad it worked out for you.

I just wanted to say that there are a couple models of Timney trigger that have a wide trigger shoe. If I recall correctly, they are the 510 and 517 models. I'm shooting two 517s in my rifles. They are wide shoe flat blade triggers that I love.

Oh yeah.... I forgot to mention that when I ordered the Timney straight from them - they sent me a Tootsie-Pop in the box too...

I recently received a new 510 CE I ordered direct from Timney (shipped same day ordered) and got a tootsie pop too. Not only that, I sent a plain 510 back for repair. Got that back about 1-1/2 weeks later with not only a Tootsie Pop, but a note saying they replaced the unit with a completely NEW on because they didn't like the way the recon'd unit "tested". Got a sew on "Timney Triggers" patch too.

Makes a guy almost want to go out an buy another rifle just so he can buy another Timney Trigger
multsmileys.gif

Lash
Thanks for the information. I'll look into the 510/517 models because I do like the feel of the Timneys and they seem to be better able to handle the dust/dirt issue that one seems to get with a gun that hunts as opposed to a Jewel that might be better suited for the benchrest only rifles.
Cozmo
As for the recall trigger, it'll work for this season anyway.

Just found out it's a 12 week turn around . Certainly not happy with Winchester right now !

An update on my experience from the northern wilderness in Canada.

I received a prepaid return mailer box from Gravel Agencies QC.
It is nothing more than a cheap corrugated cardboard box 49x7x3.5in with a styrofoam insert.

I packaged up my firearm, placed the bolt into the separate section in the foam interior, etc. etc.
Taped up the box. Put the prepaid return Canada Post sticker on it.

Then I made the trip down to my local Canada Post office outlet.
The woman behind the counter asked if it was a firearm, I said yes, she said it cannot be mailed in a container like that, it does not meet Canada Post guidelines for shipping firearms.
I told her it was a return post carton supplied by Remington for a firearm recall, I'm just sending it back to them in their supplied carton.
She said the guidelines were updated a while ago due to the cheap cardboard boxes not securing firearms from accidental carton breakage or opening.

We then spent an hour (I am not exaggerating) on the phone going up the ladder at Canada Post, from supervisor to supervisor.
One after another they all said, we cannot accept it, it does not meet the shipping guidelines for firearms.
And they gave me the information at Canada Post where I can obtain a copy of the proper guidelines for how firearms have to be packaged for acceptance by Canada Post.
The firearm must be in a locked container, even if inside of a cardboard box.

I live in a rural area, where the people behind the counter are familiar with shipping firearms, they even had the page in their thick guidelines book bookmarked with a bright yellow tab.
The supervisor people on the phone said that anyone who happened to have mailed their firearm out packaged like this, if the person behind the counter at their post office location did not know what the item was or what the current firearm shipping guidelines are, it is not meeting CP shipping guidelines, so if it gets lost or damaged or anything, well good luck with that.

So, I cannot even send it back for repair since Canada Post will not accept it.
I wouldn't have cared so much except this is a fairly expensive brand new never fired Sendero SFII 300WM.

I haven't contacted Gravel yet, but I will be.
This entire fiasco is FUBAR.
I am just going to purchase an aftermarket trigger, and never buy another Remington. Ever.

I just sucked it up and bought a new trigger for $200 and put it in and threw the Remy away, and I'll never buy a Remy again either unless it's really old

I haven't contacted Gravel yet, but I will be.
This entire fiasco is FUBAR.
I am just going to purchase an aftermarket trigger, and never buy another Remington. Ever.

I'd definitely contact Gravel and let them know how far they have their heads installed in their "exhaust pipes".

Hate to rub it in but by now you could have had a Timney trigger installed and been enjoying yourself rather than having to have wasted the time you did with your Canada Post.

As for never buying another Remington? I sure would--------- and order a new Timney trigger at the same time. Better yet, make the seller make it part of the deal, that a new Timney be included. If a dealer, and they can't install it because of their sales agreement with Remington, just have them include it in a separate pkg.

I emailed Gravel right after posting my comment.

They emailed me back this morning, and in the email they gave a partial incomplete list of the Canada Post shipping requirements, said they have sent thousands of firearms in boxes, and if Canada Post won't accept it I am just supposed to make sure to use proper packing tape and tape the cardboard box up a lot more.

I told him he was incorrect, gave him the Canada Post and CFSC toll free numbers, gave him the website link to the Canada Post firearm shipping guidelines, listed the full shipping guidelines and bolded the requirement for "the firearm must be locked in a sturdy non-transparent container", and stated that a cardboard box cannot be locked no matter how much tape I wrap around it.

I have no doubt that he will just email me back saying that I am wrong and "they are a big company who sends and receives thousands of firearms each year".
If he actually does call Canada Post or the CFSC, he is going to be in for a surprise when he learns that they must send out locking containers.

Someone needs to wrap a bunch of tape around his head...

I called my brother, who is a gunsmith, yesterday afternoon after all of this and told him to expect to see my rifle and a replacement trigger shortly.
I took the warranty/recall to the end in hopes that Remington would go good on it at their expense, but I am fed up with them now.

Last edited:
Hey All-

I had gotten my rifle back from Remington and what a nightmare.
After checking tracking and not getting the rifle when I should have, I called UPS. It seems Remington did not put the house number on the box!!! So they couldn't deliver it. They called the sender (Remington) and got no answer! I told UPS the number of the house on the phone and they said they could not make any changes to the label and they are not able to deliver my package.
After much talk they agreed to let me pick it up. This phone call took place at 7:44 and the close at 8:00. They are about 30 minutes away so this was a problem. The person on the phone was great and gave me a number to call. She said come by and call and I will pick your box and come out with it. Awesome, thanks. So UPS did great and did try to help me.

Here's the next thing-
The box was mangled and bent up. Looked bad. I asked what happened? She had no clue.
The rifle was ok. Poorly packed and loose in the carton. Packed like they just really do to care at all about your rifle!

Now the best part: the gun was RUSTY!!!!
This gun was brand new when I sent it in. I bought it, unpacked it and placed it in the safe to build my next fun gun, then seen the recall so I sent it in. The gun was unfired. Packed well. Sent off.

When seeing it again after Remington had it, it looked terrible.
A light orange film of rust on the barrel and bolt.
Another thing was it was dirty. The breech area was filthy. I wiped the whole gun down and the oiled rag I used looked orange and dirty.

I sent Remington an email and not heard a thing back.
I'm honestly thinking they don't give a crap about these guns and just trying to get em all done as fast as possible.
It's a complete disappointment and honestly makes me not want to spend a penny on anything else they make.

Absolutely horrible service.
The whole experience was not worth the trouble.
The damn website to check on the thing was down every time I looked at it.

To anyone thinking they need to send a rifle to Remington, my advice is DONT.
Buy a new trigger system and don't risk them rusting your gun up like they did mine.

Just a heads up!!!

To anyone thinking they need to send a rifle to Remington, my advice is DONT.
Buy a new trigger system and don't risk them rusting your gun up like they did mine.

Just a heads up!!!

Sorry about your experience. This is exactly why people have been cautioning about sending rifles in for this recall in the first place. Unfortunately you apparently were one of those that just has to pee on the fence even though everyone has said it's turned on :)

Really cant believe people in the sh community would send their guns in to get a $25 trigger fixed. Didnt actually think people used factory triggers

What's mind boggling is that Remington was willing to spend all kinds of money to transport Rifles back and forth. Based on what I have to fork over to UPS when I send a firearm it has to be around $100 round trip. Add to that the amount of labor expense in house and it would have been cheaper to just send out a Coupon for $125 so the Customer could buy a Timney 510 or "a piece of" a Jewell or 510 CE.

If Remington wants to make sure the old triggers are out of the marketplace then just send out rebate checks after the old trigger unit itself is sent in.

This very practice was used by Ford Motor Company back when the Firestone Tire/Ford Explorer problem occurred. Customers could go to various Tire Stores, get the Firestone Tires replaced either free of charge (with the tire company handling the reimbursement) or getting a reimbursement check from Ford. This was an extremely quick, efficient, way to deal with a problem rather than overload the Dealer System with a tire problem many weren't equipped to handle.

I agree. They would probally save a ton of money they could reinvest into R&D. I own both a browning Abolt and Xbolt and both have nicer triggers than the timmneys I own. If Browning can make a great trigger Remington should be able too.

Bought my first Remington 700 last weekend. Started reading posts on scope bases, bipods, etc - ran across this post.
Sombitch, its on the recall list.
Well, guess its a good reason to get a Timney as first mod instead of waiting 6 or 9 months.

Bought my first Remington 700 last weekend. Started reading posts on scope bases, bipods, etc - ran across this post.
Sombitch, its on the recall list.
Well, guess its a good reason to get a Timney as first mod instead of waiting 6 or 9 months.

Same here, and the store I bought the rifle from played dumb about the recall... !Timmy!" trigger and I was on the field. Replacement was as simple as removong and replacing the two pins.

@Ringman308, you won't regret the move to a Timney.

I purchased straight from SWFA, so my trigger came with whatever the stock setting is... shoots great, and is the most comfortable trigger I have ever pulled. Fine tuning the pull weight should yield even better enjoyment and trigger time.