• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 sps tactical customized

bjohnson87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Greenville SC
Hey guys just bought a brand new remington 700 sps tactical in .223 was wanting to know what i could do to sweeten this thing up a bit make it more accurate such as trigger stock etc. thanks guys

Re: Remington 700 sps tactical customized

Trigger: Jewell, timney, rifle basix

Stock: McMillan A series or HS Precision

How accurate is it now? Have you shot it? What's your minimum accuracy requirement?

I would shoot and see how it goes before you start dumping money into a rifle. Often it's not the accuracy but other factors that dictate whether or not a rifle is "customized"

Went to the range today with some hornady 55gr handloads shoots sub moa groups but i dont care much for the remington x trigger the screw in the trigger is annoying its solid for being outta the box but the stock isnt quite what i wanted either flexs a little to much for my taste

Heres my new sps varmint in 308
100_2521.jpg

It was shooting around .8 moa.
100_2510.jpg

I added this stock

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=293581

100_2541.jpg

Now it shoots around .5 moa.
100_2542.jpg

I bet a trigger would help it alittle but I dont mind the x mark trigger.

If I were you I would just change the stock.

A Bell and Carlson, McMillan, Manners, Hs Precision, or choate would work fine. Anything that has more forend stiffness and aluminum bedding block.

+1 for upgrading the stock. Get a decent stock with an aluminum bedding block, skim bed it, put some optics on it and shoot it.

The xmark pro trigger's not my favorite, but it's not bad either, I wouldn't change it right off the bat unless you're picky about those things.

I like the ss. It is very clear for the price, and it doesn't have any problems holding zero.

Below is my SPS-T.

- I replaced the Hogue stock with a Bell and Carlson Light Tactical
- I bedded the action with Devcon
- I opened up the X-Mark Pro trigger screw, and polished the sear. (2.3 lb pull)
- I lapped the lugs per this procedure
- Lastly, I tuned a hand-load with 175g SMKs and 44.5g of Varget per this experience

Below is my last round of testing which includes final seating depth adjustments. It turns out that these little Remingtons can shoot!

<span style="font-style: italic">(5-shots, 100 meters)</span>
Picture035.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">(I polished this contact point)</span>
Xmarkadjustabletriggercaption.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Nice shooting. I havent experimented with handloads yet. All the groups I posted were with cheap federal ammo, but I dont doubt it can shoot better with a load like yours.
wink.gif

Definitely get a counter sniper scope.....THEY ROCK!!!!