• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 VTR .308 on ELD-X

dino1984

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2020
I am prepparing to develop a hunting cartridge for .308 VTR in StailessSteel version. Looking for bullet i have decided for Hornady ELD-X bt can't decide on weight. 1:10 rifling would suggest heavier bullets, like 178gr, but I have found videos of people achieving best groups on 150 gr bullets, which seems strange, but... if it works than I will not discuss. Powder I want to use is Reloading Swiss RS52.

Question - Is there anybody that have experience with this rifle and can help me to choose a bullet?

You don’t need any help, just pick one. You want the 178 eldx then get it. It’ll be just fine.

I shoot 150s in my 30-06 because of recoil. If I hunted anything over 500 yards with it I would go heavier. I don’t though so I’ll take the reduced recoil with the concession that I’m losing a bit of long range mass.

I have a few hundred eld-x in 6.5. I bought some comparator gauges to to play with as I’m trying to get my s/d’s down and went thru and sorted the bullets by bearing length. I was pretty shocked that I had 4 baskets that they fell into.
most fell between 0.5940.5945
Bunch fell between 0.5950-.5955
some between 0.5960-.5965
a few between 0.5930-.5935

Here is why I’m saying this. I have a couple hundred Berger 140 VLD hunting that all but maybe 10 fell into 0.4850 -.4855.

eta: for hunting, unless hunting at long range the Hornady would be fine