• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 XCR Tactical

nainud

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2008
Thailand
hello everyone,
What you think about reminton 700 xcr tactical?? i will buy this rifle but i can't find any reviews. What you think if compare with 700p or 700 ltr??
thank you so much

Re: Remington 700 XCR Tactical

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice stock, feels good. Never shot one though. </div></div>
Thank a lot, cause of it a new come rifle so i can't find any review. Thank for comments.
grin.gif

My only problem with the rifle is with it's stock. Since a scope is likely to go on this model, I'd like to have an adjustable comb. I've sold at least four of these rifles at the store where I work part time. I've mounted scopes using Badger, NF or Leupold railed 20 MOA bases with .885 rings for most 30mm Leupold or NF scopes chosen, and, to me, all have required additional build-up of the comb for a really good stock weld.

I have one, I have been happy with it, but as stated above it needs a adjustable cheek piece. I put a karsten cheek piece on mine and it works well. Any non-adjustable stock will have this problem with most modern large bell dia. scopes. The finish on the xcr rifles is far tougher than the police line, other than that they are very similar, and shoot about the same for the most part. The trigger in the xcr tactical is much better, they are supplied with the 40x triggers from the custom shop as opposed to the much hated xmark pro trigger on every other production Remington. The trigger on mine is great for a factory rifle. There is a review on these rifles in a Long Range shooting magazine I picked up at Barnes an Noble last week, the mag is done by Shooting Times.

Didn't know about the 40x triggers in these . . . . would have been nice to have in the 5r as well

I have not tried the x-mark pro, but I will tell you that the 40x on my XCR is incredible for a factory rifle.

As far as accuracy, .5 with very little load development, I think it will do better, but do not know if I feel the need to put time or money into doing more load development. I just copied loads I found on this site till I found one that worked. I have not fired it with FGMM, but with Remington Match, which uses same Sierra 168 BTHP, it shot .6-.7 easily. I am not a accomplished long range marksman, so your results may be better. Hell, most poeples results would probably be better with my rifle and my loads than they are for me. Mine is the 26in barrel BTW.

I own a Remmy 700 XCR tactical. I am very pleased with its accuracy. The Bell&Carson stock is fine. However, the ergo is not as optimal for me as that of the AIAW. I tend to favor the AIAW. The trigger is very crisp at 3lbs. There is no creep. In terms of the gun itself, its is capable of doing sub MOA easily at 100 yards, if you have the right load and doing your part. All in all, it is good to go out of the box. There is an article in the Shooting times reviewing this particular gun. Good luck with your choice.

Hows the .223 shoot? will the 1x9 twist stablize the heavier VLD style bullets??

Sorry Buzzsaw. My Remmy is in 308.

Thank a lot for your experience and comment all. I'm appreciated that. I will got Re 700 xcr Compact Tactical soon. I hope it will good accuracy.

Anymore on the XCR Compact? Sorry to resurrect the post, but very interested to see if anyone has shot either the 308 or 223 and what your thoughts are on it.

I got one in .308 this summer, i am very pleased. The coating is extremely tough and does not rust at all. Shoots most ammo about the same. My best group out of about 20 was .2 in. I don't even have a very good rest. I can shoot 1 in groups at 200 yards easily off just a bipod with cloth underneith the back. It shoots all of this with a $50 scope! I ordered a custom leupold for it and I am still waiting, a good scope should make it even better. The trigger is very crisp with no overtravel or creep, it is externally adjustable to 2 lbs, but I did a trigger job using instructions from the internet, which brought it to 1 lb. the stock is very good quality and feels very good. there is also a generous amount of free float, no matter what the stock never touches the barrel. BTW i am 13 so someone a little more experianced could shoot it better... probably.

mine is the compact tactical with the 20 in barrel, It shoots 2580 fps.

I had the XCR Long range tactical. Out of the box it didn't shoot worth a damn. I spent an additional $600 and was able to get it down .5 MOA shooter. If I had to do it over again I would go with the 700P. I would probably still have the work done on the 700P, however it would have saved me money in the long run. Also, I am not a fan of the flutes Remmy put on these rifles, so I sold mine for a loss and put the money down on a custom rifle build. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jamie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, I am not a fan of the flutes Remmy put on these rifles
Jamie </div></div>

Thanks for the input. What about the Remmy flutes do you not like?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rifleshooter5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got one in .308 this summer, i am very pleased. The coating is extremely tough and does not rust at all. Shoots most ammo about the same. My best group out of about 20 was .2 in. I don't even have a very good rest. I can shoot 1 in groups at 200 yards easily off just a bipod with cloth underneith the back. It shoots all of this with a $50 scope! I ordered a custom leupold for it and I am still waiting, a good scope should make it even better. The trigger is very crisp with no overtravel or creep, it is externally adjustable to 2 lbs, but I did a trigger job using instructions from the internet, which brought it to 1 lb. the stock is very good quality and feels very good. there is also a generous amount of free float, no matter what the stock never touches the barrel. BTW i am 13 so someone a little more experianced could shoot it better... probably.</div></div>

Great Post! I like my XCR in .308 also. It's a good rifle. Mine is NOT bedded and it shoots .75 moa easily. It's not a custom rifle, but pretty solid right out of the box.

Welcome rifleshooter5! Sounds like you're an outstanding shooter already!
Have fun, good shooting.

Picture085.jpg

I'll agree with most the xcr compact is a great out of the box rifle. it's basically an LTR with a green stock. Mine is a .308 and shoots the 165 rem prem match in the .5"'s at a 100 and 1.75" at 300 yds. It also shoots the 165 triple shocks in the .25" range if i do my part. I had one screamer .15" 5 shot group last month but have not been able to replicate it. Close to 700 rounds down the tube and it's been a great gun so far. The 40x trigger is good and user adjustable without removing it from the stock.

Im back. I went to the range today and sighted in. I shot one group with remington cor loct 150 grain .308 and one with black hills 168 grain bthp .308. Both groups were .3in. I used a bipod with a sandbag under the rear. This is now my favorite rest. I am still using a $50 scope btw. I love my xcr compact tactical. Again i am only 13 so maybe someone more experienced could shoot better and hand loads could only help more.

The compact is also lighter. This can be good or bad depending on what you want to use it for.

I have an XCR Tactical Long Range in 308....26" barrel. I haven't shot it now in awhile but I was consistently shooting (during perfect conditions) 1/3-3/4" groups at 100 with him and was getting moa results at 1000 yards with 154 scenars....2980fps. The Trinyte finish is very-very nice for a factory rifle and the 40X trigger is light and crisp. Maybe I just struck it lucky with this one but if they are all like the one I have then I would definitely recommend the XCR to anyone looking for a nice light varmint rifle. I never was a big fan of Remington but this little rifle changed things for me. YMMV.

Chris

I have the 26" version, I didnt ever fire it with the factory stock. But in an AICS it was a constant 1/2"-3/4" gun with factory or reloads. I have since moved to to a McM A-5 with pillar bedding, still shoots the same. I really like mine, the finish looks great, the barrel is like a mirror and takes on little to no copper. Trigger was great right out of the box no need to replacce yet...

Remington has done a good job with these rifles, I have a friend with the 300WM one and it shoots as well as my 308 version.

i agree with Poke, my xcr hardly collects any foul, it is extremely consitand and consitantly accurate for many many shots.

I have the .300 Win Mag also and out of the box it was a tack driver no problem. The only issue I have is the muzzle jump and torque off a bipod. It's impossible to keep on target for a follow up. Needless to say, it's in the shop for a brake and a decent bolt knob...

I brought my xcr compact on a hunting trip to south dakota. I am nonresident and youth so i could only get 2 doe tags. I got both does on back to back nights. One was facing straight at me at 75 yards, the other was broadside at 200. I shot kneeling off shooting sticks. I also did some target shooting at 300 yards. I used a bipod with a scrunched up vest under the rear. I was shooting 2in or less groups! What a great trip!

finally got my new scope. I love it, it is very good looking, functions great, and is very clear. I love the calibrated dial system. I cannot wait to test it out in the spring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Armorman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an XCR Tactical Long Range in 308....26" barrel. I haven't shot it now in awhile but I was consistently shooting (during perfect conditions) 1/3-3/4" groups at 100 with him and was getting moa results at 1000 yards with 154 scenars....2980fps. The Trinyte finish is very-very nice for a factory rifle and the 40X trigger is light and crisp. Maybe I just struck it lucky with this one but if they are all like the one I have then I would definitely recommend the XCR to anyone looking for a nice light varmint rifle. I never was a big fan of Remington but this little rifle changed things for me. YMMV.

Chris </div></div>

I've been thinking long and hard about buying this gun. Right about now it feels like my last $1k is burning a fire through my wallet! Out of curiosity, what optics and what height rings work well for this rig? I've been thinking of the super sniper 20x optic on a 20 MOA base, and then add a little red dot to the side for quick target acquisition...any thoughts on that? I want to do mostly bench and practical shooting - not competitively at this point...

How does the cheek weld work for you? Have you had to build it up at all?

i have one in 300wm also but have had trouble with coppering so ibought tubb ff loads and fixed that for the most part plus my stock was hitting in 4 places so isanded it so 2 bisness cards will slide all the way to recoil lug.have been shooting blackhills 190 match and 190 fgmm and the best groups have been .692 with both loads.havent started reloading yet so im asking what are you shooting and what kind of groups are you getting or am i just not going to get any better until i reload.i had a styer sbs in a 300wm and it would shoot a .442 group all day long with win 180 bst.please any suggestions would be appreacated.

Hi SIGTWO

I just got my XCR LTR this week

sorry for barging in, will post results later.

I would appreciate if you could let me know what factory ammo you have had good results with, paper and hunting, as i aint got time for developing a load before i need to take the gun hunting.

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Dane</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hi SIGTWO

I just got my XCR LTR this week

sorry for barging in, will post results later.

I would appreciate if you could let me know what factory ammo you have had good results with, paper and hunting, as i aint got time for developing a load before i need to take the gun hunting.

thanks </div></div>

Very good results with the black hills stuff. I had about 100 rounds of 168 through my XCR before starting to reload for it. FGMM was also pretty good. I worked a hunting load up for mine using 165SGK's and some RL15, I dont know the exact numbers on the load but its under 1/2 MOA with same 100yd zero as my 168 load. My 165 load has been sub MOA in 4 308 rifles at this point.

I bought a 26" XCR in .308 about a year ago. My experience pretty much mirrored beck. Shot around 5". I had some contact with the barrel on the stock, fixed that. Bolt lugs didn't hardly engage, fixed that. Bore coppered like hell wouldn't have it! Tubbs bullets fixed that. Had a smith skim bed the action and bed the lug, now it shoots in at around 1". Maybe better, it may be me now. Oh, scope is a KonusPro M30. I fiddled around changing everything on the rifle trying to get it to shoot. Talked with a Rem rep over the net. By the time I talked to him, had it down around 1 1/5" and he told me that it was well within factory accuracy at that point, so they wouldn't do anything with it. Shoulda sent it in first thing before I touched anything. I also am not really a fan of the flutes. If I can't do better with it, it will get a new barrel. Too much work on the action now to give up! Anyway, maybe you will get a good one (most do) maybe you will have my luck. Here's to getting a good one!!!

Hi i worked on a Light tacticle in 308 it was bedded and a leupold scope fitted the guy was shooting it well at 900 and 1000 yards saturday great rifle and he also has a 300 win mag in the lr tacticle and i am just getting ready to bed it for him and mount the scope we are hoping it is as good as the 308.

Does anyone know what type of rifling the 700 XCR Tactical has? I can't find the info anywhere.

I'm in the market for my first bolt rifle, and I've determined that a Remington 700 is a good place to start. I want to get a barrel with 5-R rifling. I've have gotten great accuracy from the Rock 5-R on my POF AR-15. Also, the DOD seems to like it; while I realize that doesn't make it the best, at least it's a well vetted standard amongst a sea of hearsay...

I know that a few of the Remington 700 models feature 5-R, e.g., the 700 Target Tactical and I've seen a 700 MilSpec 308 with a SS 24" 5-R Barrel (same as M24) on impact guns. Also, if the 700 Target Tactical has a VTR barrel, does that mean the regular VTR rifles have 5-R as well? If the 700 XCR tactical/ XCR compact tactical had 5-R rifling it would be what I'm looking for, but for the life of me I can't find that info anywhere.

Does anyone know what the default rifling is for Remington and specifically what the rifling is for the XCR series?

I bought a used (around 50 rounds through it) a 26" Long Range Tactical in 300wm. I've only fired about 12 rounds thought it so far but FWIW My last trip out was to check out a local 500yard range and shoot 500yrds for my first time. Yes, 200+ yards is new to me. Northern WI and Michigans UP dont have lots of really long range shooting. I currently have a cheap $50 simmons and was I shooting cheap 165gr fusion. I took 3 shots at 300 yards, got a call that my fiancee was locked out of the house and the rain started coming down. I decided to take 3 more shots at 500 and get home. My 500 yard group was approximately 3in. Considering the massive room for improvement in my optic, loads and technique I was pretty happy with the results.

I love my XCR Compact Tactical.

Best features above the LTR - stainless steel where it counts; better trigger that lets you adjust it externally with a small screwdriver (awesome!); the bell and carlson stock (if you like the colour which i do).

No regrets, love this rifle!!

shot mine at 400 yards in gusty winds. most groups were very close verticly but the size of thge groups was mostly horrizontle because of the wind. 400 yards and most groups were 3 to 4 inches with a few 2 inchers and one 1 incher

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jj302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a used (around 50 rounds through it) a 26" Long Range Tactical in 300wm. I've only fired about 12 rounds thought it so far but FWIW My last trip out was to check out a local 500yard range and shoot 500yrds for my first time. Yes, 200+ yards is new to me. Northern WI and Michigans UP dont have lots of really long range shooting. I currently have a cheap $50 simmons and was I shooting cheap 165gr fusion. I took 3 shots at 300 yards, got a call that my fiancee was locked out of the house and the rain started coming down. I decided to take 3 more shots at 500 and get home. My 500 yard group was approximately 3in. Considering the massive room for improvement in my optic, loads and technique I was pretty happy with the results.
</div></div>

Correction: 575 yards. I was given bad info and confirmed 575 with a fellow shooter using his bushnell arc 1600 last weekend. I'd really like one of those!
Here is my cold bore shot with 12" holdover. My simmons runs out of turret clicks at 500 yards.
Fusion 150gr. Resting on backpack, no bags or bipod.
The shot is right by the dimension... just put that in there for scale. No I'm not 14, I'm 34 and have small hands haha.

575_coldbore.jpg

Here is my group aprox 12 inches straight down from center.
575_3group.jpg

So far I really like my XCR, but it is also my first rifle of this type. I moved into it from my fathers mauser/interarms mark X 300wm.

just took mine out to 600 and plan to go to 750 soon. shoots 6 inch groups!!! the wind was a gusty 6-8 mph and every group was only about 2 inches tall but 6 inches wide. mine normally groups in a triangle so i am sure it could do even better. for the money you cant beat it!!!!!

i dont know what remington uses as a standard all i know is the xcr compact is a r5 rifleing. it is an amazing gun and well worth it. they are just a little hard to find

I own ALL three the, 223,308, and the 300wm. All have proven to be .75 moa or better I love the looks and feel of them too. I have 20 moa bases on them. The 223 has a 6.5-20 MK4, the 308 has a 3-12 xtr, and the 300wm has a 6-24 black diamond cant say enough about them!!!

Please excuse my posting to a very old thread, but I have a related question.

My XCR shoots very well. But I agree with the comment that it needs an adjustable cheekpiece on the stock due to the height of the scope (I have a Falcon Menace Counter Sniper Series 4-14 on mine). Can anyone who has tried the Karsten (http://www.snipercentral.com/karsten.htm) product post your opinions of this please. They look good to me, but before I go trilling through my rifle, it would be nice to hear some independent thoguth on the topic.

Many thanks in advance, gents!

By the way, my gunsmith, who is rated extremely highy around thee parts, said the trigger on this rifle was the best he's ever seen on a factory rifle and he wouldn't. He did bed the stock for me and fit the scope, but other than that there was no work required. It shoots .5 inch at 100m with 168gr or lighter. Gets a bit wobly over that weight. I put 180's through it and it was hopeless (2.0" at least).

anglo-saxon,

The Karsten cheek rest works well. The problem with all adjustable cheekpieces is that they adjust, and sometimes they adjust when you do not want them to. So you are constantly fiddling with them. Also B&C stocks and H-S Precision stocks, are for the most part hollow. Thus they give little support to the Karsten screws.

A better, though less elegant solution and cheaper solution is to use self sticking pipe insulation. It comes in 1/2" 3/4" and 1" thick sizes in 6 foot lengths. A 6" piece attached to your comb, and then covered with a Eagle/Triad stock pack or an Uncle Mike elastic buttstock shell holder works as well, and no holes needed to be drilled.

Here my McMillan HTG. I raised the comb more than 1/2" by using 1/2 self sticking pipe insulation, and covered it with a Uncle Mike's shell holder. In my case I have side mounted flushcups, and an Eagle stock pack covered the rear one, so I had to use the Uncle Mike's:

DSCF0706.jpg

As to bipods have you considered the Atlas Bipod? I like mine a bit better than a Harris.

Bob

I own the 300WM AND THE .223 VERSIONS. No need for the 308's I have that covered with my DTAs. The 300WM is great for elk hunting and a lot lighter to carry than my DTA especialy for an over 50 flat lander like myself. I like the stock on the XCRs that was one of the selling points for me..I have a long LOP and that fit pretty good for a factory stock. I highy recommend them. If I as buying a 308 only...I would have to look at the 5R also...they shoot lights out.