• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 770?

evangorp

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2013
I have noticed that Remington is coming out with a 770 model. It says it is based on the 710 barrel and action, not sure what that means. Does this mean it is a 700 action? Or is this Remington's way of combatting the Savage Axis and Ruger American? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it worth a hoot? Or is it better to steer clear from it and go a different route?

Is it worth a hoot? Or is it better to steer clear from it and go a different route?

Depends on what you want. The locking lugs on the bole engage the barrel, not the action (like on an AR-15). The barrel is pressed into the action, not threaded.

You can buy three "Hunting Rifles" like this for the price of a good custom 700.

Want something to go out and bag a deer at a couple hundred yards, could be a great deal. Want something that will reach out farther, more accurately, maybe not so much.

Bottom line, they're built as inexpensively as possible so they can sell at "Walmart prices". The actions aren't as smooth and because of the design, not as versatile as a good old fashioned 700.

As they say, the choice is yours.

Depends on what you want. The locking lugs on the bole engage the barrel, not the action (like on an AR-15). The barrel is pressed into the action, not threaded.

You can buy three "Hunting Rifles" like this for the price of a good custom 700.

Want something to go out and bag a deer at a couple hundred yards, could be a great deal. Want something that will reach out farther, more accurately, maybe not so much.

Bottom line, they're built as inexpensively as possible so they can sell at "Walmart prices". The actions aren't as smooth and because of the design, not as versatile as a good old fashioned 700.

As they say, the choice is yours.

This is what I thought, but was just verifying! I am thinking I want to start a build in the near future, been reading a lot, and just trying to narrow down exactly what I want!

if its going to be a true truck rifle then go for it. There not fancy and the action is nothing like a 700. No re barreling, just a trigger job and let it roll.
I bought my son one in 243 a few years ago for him to hunt with. I bought it as a drop/kick/mud draggier and it shoot better than I thought it would. I also acquired a 710 in 300wm and it shoot really nice out to 500 yards, just have not shot it any further. so the 710/770 are a very very very low budget rifle but shoot decent, great for kids or someone who don't know if shooting or hunting is what they really want to do.

But after you build one that you want.. The 770 won't see much shooting time...