• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Remington Bolt Handle/Knob Redux

el gordo2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
San Antonio, Tejas
Was never satisfied with this knob so recently decided to change it up.

IMG_4131_zps35e2f4e3.jpg

Machined that thing off, drilled and tapped the existing stub for 10-32 then inserted a threaded stud........
IMG_4135_zps9f80f41c.jpg

Proceeded to make a handle with 5/1/x24 male threads on one end and female 10-32 on the other. Half inch 4140 stock was used and turned down. This was more or less for positioning the handle for welding to the bolt stub.
IMG_4136_zps66c6d270.jpg

After welding and before fitting......
IMG_4141_zpsf8364235.jpg

I contured/blended the weldment and installed the bolt into the action and marked where I wanted the bend.
IMG_4144_zps2fd2e0f5.jpg

Making a ball for the handle....
IMG_4155_zpse1671bf9.jpg

The conversion in the white before and after blasting.....
IMG_4147_zpsb3ef21c0.jpg

IMG_4162_zps848047b8.jpg

Here it is after coating it with Black Graphite Cerakote and installed back into the rifle.....
1_zps0f265064.jpg

A closer view......

2_zps354b32fa.jpg

I realize this isnt for everyone but it's different from the norm and fills my needs for now.....

Nice work.
I wouldn't want to shoot next to you that stock hurts my eyes.
As stated what is once seen can't be unseen.

Looks nice - I like it!

What are you using for your radius-turning toolpost setup - something commercially-available, or a custom-made jig?

Nice work.
I wouldn't want to shoot next to you that stock hurts my eyes.
As stated what is once seen can't be unseen.

Yeah, it's not cool looking like GAP, multicam, skulls, snakeskin etc.....

65digi3.jpg

E. Bryant said:
What are you using for your radius-turning toolpost setup - something commercially-available, or a custom-made jig?

It's just a shop fixture I made that replaces the regular tool post.

Lets see a couple more pics, and get a little more detail on that tool-post radius cutter.

I'd like to see how you adjust the cutting radius, and how it is driven to rotate about it's axis.

Thanks!

Did you mig or tig the bolt handle? Look good, like an AI. How well does the cast handle weld?

First of all thanks for all the kind words.

To answer a few questions, I made the radius tool, didnt go through great pains just a simple design off of youtube. Very basic so far, no vernier adjustments just set screws and a long handle to turn it with. I actually used it to make the ball handle for it.
IMG_0613_zpsada0a99d.jpg

IMG_0615_zps0b9a6675.jpg

The welding process was with a tig, the parts are just to small for my mig set ups which use ..045 and 1/16" wire. I did use the .045 wire for filler while tig'gn. I have done a few factory cast handles and havent had any problems welding them.

As far as the paint job, I do like the digital pattern for true camo effect. I had a vision on this one wanting it to blend in my enviroment which is green most of the year. I call it "digital grass" and used 5 different colors of Duracoat to coat the entire rifle. Thanks again, I do get quite a few hates because it's ugly up close but at the same time very effective at distance.
65digi.jpg

For the bolt hitting my trigger finger, no it doesnt as I shoot left handed.

IMG_4163_zps3edb1404.jpg